Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Rat Babies ARE HERE!!! [Photos]
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
@Smoothy

Oh my gosh!! So adorable!! <333
@Smoothy

Oh my gosh!! So adorable!! <333
w7Z8MA5.png
@Purpleily
Of course i'll keep you updated :)
Oh wow, look at her grapefruit belly! She is beautiful btw
@Purpleily
Of course i'll keep you updated :)
Oh wow, look at her grapefruit belly! She is beautiful btw
jfLmvwf.jpg
Small Update
I wont ping since this is just a tiny update

Seems to be 10 boys and 4 girls. Very male heavy litter! 4 are either ruby eyed or pink eyed, which is absolutely great, i was hoping for the color genes showed and carried by their granddad would come through, and they have.

Martha is a great mum, definitely no MA (Maternal Agression) I can pick the babies up right next to her and put them under her and she doesn't try to bite me or anything, i'm pleased with that.
Small Update
I wont ping since this is just a tiny update

Seems to be 10 boys and 4 girls. Very male heavy litter! 4 are either ruby eyed or pink eyed, which is absolutely great, i was hoping for the color genes showed and carried by their granddad would come through, and they have.

Martha is a great mum, definitely no MA (Maternal Agression) I can pick the babies up right next to her and put them under her and she doesn't try to bite me or anything, i'm pleased with that.
jfLmvwf.jpg
Omg they are so small, so pink and so cute. <3
Congratulations on the large litter of babies.

Again, so cute, I really want to see some pics when they got their fur and those little eyes open.
Omg they are so small, so pink and so cute. <3
Congratulations on the large litter of babies.

Again, so cute, I really want to see some pics when they got their fur and those little eyes open.
Banescale Accent Thread Link
Fzyc1uu.png
@Smoothy
-squee!- so precious. I miss having rats but now I have snakes and I feel like they would smell one another on my hands/clothes or even in the air and if there were ever any escapes... -shudders- it's just more of a conflict of interest than I am comfortable with. Will you post pics of the babs as they grow? I will just live vicariously through you.
@Smoothy
-squee!- so precious. I miss having rats but now I have snakes and I feel like they would smell one another on my hands/clothes or even in the air and if there were ever any escapes... -shudders- it's just more of a conflict of interest than I am comfortable with. Will you post pics of the babs as they grow? I will just live vicariously through you.
@tinybalrog
I know a fair few people who own both snakes and rats and don't have an issue?
But i get why you want to be safe, itd be scary if you lost your pets. Itd be more like the snake could bite you from your smell and possibly escape, but idk most people keep their snakes locked in tight :3
I sure will post pics :D lots of babies
@tinybalrog
I know a fair few people who own both snakes and rats and don't have an issue?
But i get why you want to be safe, itd be scary if you lost your pets. Itd be more like the snake could bite you from your smell and possibly escape, but idk most people keep their snakes locked in tight :3
I sure will post pics :D lots of babies
jfLmvwf.jpg
Aw, cute! I didn't think such direct inbreeding was a very good thing though, at least not from what I learned when I did my HNC in animal care and breeding in college...? I mean I know sometimes it's done to preserve traits but isn't it usually a little more distant than brother/sister?
*forgive my babbling I'm not a breeder, just a rattie parent*
Aw, cute! I didn't think such direct inbreeding was a very good thing though, at least not from what I learned when I did my HNC in animal care and breeding in college...? I mean I know sometimes it's done to preserve traits but isn't it usually a little more distant than brother/sister?
*forgive my babbling I'm not a breeder, just a rattie parent*
natureshieldl.png NIJBYPt.png uRC0U7k.png NIJBYPt.png natureshieldr.png
@Smoothy
Awww, Congratulations!
Would love to be pinged for new updates ^_^
@Smoothy
Awww, Congratulations!
Would love to be pinged for new updates ^_^
o007-d01-Amorah.pngo007-d02-Amorah.pngo007-d03-Amorah.pngo007-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d01-Amorah.pngs064-d02-Amorah.pngs064-d03-Amorah.pngs064-d04-Amorah.pngs064-d05-Amorah.pngs064-d06-Amorah.pngs064-d07-Amorah.pngs064-d08-Amorah.pngs064-d09-Amorah.pngs064-d10-Amorah.pngs075-d01-Amorah.pngs075-d02-Amorah.pngs075-d03-Amorah.pngs075-d04-Amorah.pngs075-d05-Amorah.pngs075-d06-Amorah.pngo007-d05-Amorah.png
ADb9Vnz.png
@Smoothy !! FOURTEEN
they're adorable, 'grats to you and the parents! :oD
@Smoothy !! FOURTEEN
they're adorable, 'grats to you and the parents! :oD
Ave Satanas!
Norski / 22 / he/him
@Avessa
Oh yes it is really fine 8D I think your studies must be outdated or not focused on rodents. In labs they are like 100 generations+ inbred. Inbreeding or "line breeding" is VERY common and recommended in rats. They do not become deformed such as canines and humans, etc. It is mostly done to weed out potentially fatal health issues and improve on the lines of the rat. Sibling to sibling, parent to child,etc are all good. I'll see if i can find some smarter explanation on the internet, but lets say you purchase a rat from one breeder, it has strands a and b of an illness, so you breed it to another rat unrelated and it has strands a and b and c,now bringing a new strand off illness in, perhaps strand c produces small eyes and missing eyes in the rats, so you end up getting that issue coming into your lines from introducing an outside rat. So you out cross again and get another strain. However if you stuck to the same line/family you will only have the some strain of illness and can weed those strains out of your stock much faster then if you kept introducing new rats. Maybe in your inbreeding line you have a hidden illness not shown, lets say a spine deformity, but you didn't know cause so far it hasn't been in the line because it's a recessive trait until a few generations then walah issue.

here we go, check out inbreeding. Very VERY common and used amongst rat breeders
http://www.afrma.org/breeding-inoutline.htm
@Avessa
Oh yes it is really fine 8D I think your studies must be outdated or not focused on rodents. In labs they are like 100 generations+ inbred. Inbreeding or "line breeding" is VERY common and recommended in rats. They do not become deformed such as canines and humans, etc. It is mostly done to weed out potentially fatal health issues and improve on the lines of the rat. Sibling to sibling, parent to child,etc are all good. I'll see if i can find some smarter explanation on the internet, but lets say you purchase a rat from one breeder, it has strands a and b of an illness, so you breed it to another rat unrelated and it has strands a and b and c,now bringing a new strand off illness in, perhaps strand c produces small eyes and missing eyes in the rats, so you end up getting that issue coming into your lines from introducing an outside rat. So you out cross again and get another strain. However if you stuck to the same line/family you will only have the some strain of illness and can weed those strains out of your stock much faster then if you kept introducing new rats. Maybe in your inbreeding line you have a hidden illness not shown, lets say a spine deformity, but you didn't know cause so far it hasn't been in the line because it's a recessive trait until a few generations then walah issue.

here we go, check out inbreeding. Very VERY common and used amongst rat breeders
http://www.afrma.org/breeding-inoutline.htm
jfLmvwf.jpg
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12