Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Have you ever been on a riot?
1 2
@chescab let me put it to you this way - my school's bus stop was built out the front of a grave yard. You walk through the grave yard to get to the front office. There's two different species of Australian fruit bats circling overhead. There's bat droppings on all the cars and teachers were, for a time, using umbrellas to get to the staff parking lot. The kids regularly go down behind the cracked headstones in the bat gully to smoke marijuana and every sports day, teachers wait at the tennis clubs and netball courts in town hoping the kids will walk over the hill on their lunch breaks to get there. They usually truant and the only thing teachers do is send letters to the parents who literally do not care that their child is skipping sport. Do you really think the town is smart enough to put in security cameras at this school?

You think I'm joking don't you
@chescab let me put it to you this way - my school's bus stop was built out the front of a grave yard. You walk through the grave yard to get to the front office. There's two different species of Australian fruit bats circling overhead. There's bat droppings on all the cars and teachers were, for a time, using umbrellas to get to the staff parking lot. The kids regularly go down behind the cracked headstones in the bat gully to smoke marijuana and every sports day, teachers wait at the tennis clubs and netball courts in town hoping the kids will walk over the hill on their lunch breaks to get there. They usually truant and the only thing teachers do is send letters to the parents who literally do not care that their child is skipping sport. Do you really think the town is smart enough to put in security cameras at this school?

You think I'm joking don't you
Bb9XFYa.png
xrdZoYH.png
pZJYyk4.png
sbmtjDC.png
kncGB4g.gif
suFrgfl.png
l8NOdbs.png
ZwbGqUa.png
ElKYM7J.png
Y7MOfeL.png
GdVZ87H.png
SZfmfRv.png
Yes, but it wasn't a fun experience, since in my case the entire town was vandalized/robbed.

The thing that caused this was that the police department decided to go on strike one day to complain for their salaries. Some people started to force entry and rob some stores, knowing there was no one to chase them (the higher ranks were on patrol, but they weren't enough as to cover the entire city).

I went to give an oral final that day to come back to my home around 6 pm. A few minutes after I reached home, I heard the pubs and stores of my block (that tend to stay open for the entire night) to start closing. Some minutes later we started to hear motorcycles to pass, and stange firework like sounds.

Several people decided that it would be good to rob/destroy any commerce they might found. The broadcasters showed how big groups of people on motorcycles (around 20) ganged up to break in stores and take out everything. Then you could see pick ups and expensive cars joinning in (and I'm talking about Audis here) to get as many things as they wanted.

I had it relatively easy, since my sister and I locked ourselves inside our apartment using our old fridge to block the door (people were even entering apartments to rob), and the neighbors also ganged up to protect themsleves and the stores of the area. We could still hear screams and some gunshots over the night, but they reduced drastically after the "neighbor patroll" started.

Other places weren't as lucky. A friend of mine that was getting some ice-cream for her children (she knew nothing of this problem) got caught in the middle of a cross fire in between a security guard and several armed guys that were trying to brake in some commerce. Another friend got caught on the roof of his local while trying to defend it from getting robbed. He said to me that he still remembers the sound of the bullets hitting the wall he and his brother were using to protect themselves.

A special riot unit started to work around 9 pm, and was sent to the limits of the city were the violence was excessive (like my friends cases), meanwhile the local government plead for help to the president.

The president denied everything until the next morning, when about 5 am she decided to sent the army to help the few local forces. Around 9 am the police finally went out to the streets after being promised an increase of they paycheck.

At the next day, noticing the "improvement" the police in my province reached, other police departments did the same on other provinces. It didn't last as long as ours, but it surely was as brutal as that one.

That was the worst night I've ever lived. I've never was so scared in my entire life, and making a plan about how to escape or defend your life against crazy dudes like those ones is not easy or fun.

I sincerely do not desire anyone to get involve in something like that EVER.
Yes, but it wasn't a fun experience, since in my case the entire town was vandalized/robbed.

The thing that caused this was that the police department decided to go on strike one day to complain for their salaries. Some people started to force entry and rob some stores, knowing there was no one to chase them (the higher ranks were on patrol, but they weren't enough as to cover the entire city).

I went to give an oral final that day to come back to my home around 6 pm. A few minutes after I reached home, I heard the pubs and stores of my block (that tend to stay open for the entire night) to start closing. Some minutes later we started to hear motorcycles to pass, and stange firework like sounds.

Several people decided that it would be good to rob/destroy any commerce they might found. The broadcasters showed how big groups of people on motorcycles (around 20) ganged up to break in stores and take out everything. Then you could see pick ups and expensive cars joinning in (and I'm talking about Audis here) to get as many things as they wanted.

I had it relatively easy, since my sister and I locked ourselves inside our apartment using our old fridge to block the door (people were even entering apartments to rob), and the neighbors also ganged up to protect themsleves and the stores of the area. We could still hear screams and some gunshots over the night, but they reduced drastically after the "neighbor patroll" started.

Other places weren't as lucky. A friend of mine that was getting some ice-cream for her children (she knew nothing of this problem) got caught in the middle of a cross fire in between a security guard and several armed guys that were trying to brake in some commerce. Another friend got caught on the roof of his local while trying to defend it from getting robbed. He said to me that he still remembers the sound of the bullets hitting the wall he and his brother were using to protect themselves.

A special riot unit started to work around 9 pm, and was sent to the limits of the city were the violence was excessive (like my friends cases), meanwhile the local government plead for help to the president.

The president denied everything until the next morning, when about 5 am she decided to sent the army to help the few local forces. Around 9 am the police finally went out to the streets after being promised an increase of they paycheck.

At the next day, noticing the "improvement" the police in my province reached, other police departments did the same on other provinces. It didn't last as long as ours, but it surely was as brutal as that one.

That was the worst night I've ever lived. I've never was so scared in my entire life, and making a plan about how to escape or defend your life against crazy dudes like those ones is not easy or fun.

I sincerely do not desire anyone to get involve in something like that EVER.
@Sharkalou holy crap, I'm so sorry you had to go through that *hug*
@Sharkalou holy crap, I'm so sorry you had to go through that *hug*
Bb9XFYa.png
xrdZoYH.png
pZJYyk4.png
sbmtjDC.png
kncGB4g.gif
suFrgfl.png
l8NOdbs.png
ZwbGqUa.png
ElKYM7J.png
Y7MOfeL.png
GdVZ87H.png
SZfmfRv.png
No, but I've come close.
Beware being out alone at night when you live in Columbus and the football team is playing. Woe betide anyone in that city after the Michigan/Ohio State game: riots if OSU wins, riots if they lose.
No, but I've come close.
Beware being out alone at night when you live in Columbus and the football team is playing. Woe betide anyone in that city after the Michigan/Ohio State game: riots if OSU wins, riots if they lose.
EEBA057-B-0307-4125-9-FF4-E796-D4-E4-EA59.jpg
1 2