Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Parents trying to force me into career..
1 2 3
@Biohazardia
Actually, no, I'm quite literally not allowed. :I
I still haven't been taught to drive yet, there are no bus stops here within miles, I have no way to get down to the airport. My partner is completely willing to pick me up and start teaching me how to drive since my parents won't, but I have no way to actually get there.

I also still don't have a paypal or a physical job so other than gift cards, I can't make any actual money to get tickets.

I'm kind of stranded with no way out and it's very frustrating. And so far, my parents don't seem interested in helping me drive/get to-and-from a job unless it's what they want me to do.

@Ena
I'll definitely keep that in mind, I have a feeling that I'll have to get in touch with one of those assistance programs... Thanks for the tip.
@Biohazardia
Actually, no, I'm quite literally not allowed. :I
I still haven't been taught to drive yet, there are no bus stops here within miles, I have no way to get down to the airport. My partner is completely willing to pick me up and start teaching me how to drive since my parents won't, but I have no way to actually get there.

I also still don't have a paypal or a physical job so other than gift cards, I can't make any actual money to get tickets.

I'm kind of stranded with no way out and it's very frustrating. And so far, my parents don't seem interested in helping me drive/get to-and-from a job unless it's what they want me to do.

@Ena
I'll definitely keep that in mind, I have a feeling that I'll have to get in touch with one of those assistance programs... Thanks for the tip.
V8I0CBG.gif
@LilithServil

I spent 6 years and a HUGE amount of money trying to get a degree my parents wanted me to get.

Long story short, one day I just left in my car and decided to go homeless and I never went back to my classes.

That was the greatest day of my life.
I then found a place to live and started working on my art and made money and I'm successfully self employed.

IMO?
Dont go to college.
You're 18. get a job. move out. Last thing you need is your parents pulling your strings so they can suck money out of you.

what state do you live in?
I wouldnt mind driving you around to a job, if thats what you need.
@LilithServil

I spent 6 years and a HUGE amount of money trying to get a degree my parents wanted me to get.

Long story short, one day I just left in my car and decided to go homeless and I never went back to my classes.

That was the greatest day of my life.
I then found a place to live and started working on my art and made money and I'm successfully self employed.

IMO?
Dont go to college.
You're 18. get a job. move out. Last thing you need is your parents pulling your strings so they can suck money out of you.

what state do you live in?
I wouldnt mind driving you around to a job, if thats what you need.
maekbabby.pngskinz.pngartbutton.giftumblrbutton.jpgdimensionriders2.png
@LilithServil
no problem. if you ever feel that you need help finding an organization to help wherever you are, or want to learn more about them in general, always feel free to ask either myself or @PrinceSilver. he doesn't like to post on the forums, but he's my rl best friend and knows about as much about them as i do through helping me get settled here.

i'm also willing to talk to you at any time if you need any general emotional support or a listening ear provided i'm around, so don't be afraid to shoot me a message. ^^
@LilithServil
no problem. if you ever feel that you need help finding an organization to help wherever you are, or want to learn more about them in general, always feel free to ask either myself or @PrinceSilver. he doesn't like to post on the forums, but he's my rl best friend and knows about as much about them as i do through helping me get settled here.

i'm also willing to talk to you at any time if you need any general emotional support or a listening ear provided i'm around, so don't be afraid to shoot me a message. ^^
@LilithServil Oh yeahh, I understand. It's tough when you aren't being supported by your family- it makes it so much harder to carve out your own path. Still, I believe you should try for something you think you'll enjoy. Don't take a job you know you'll hate or have no interest in.

Art CAN be a really hard industry to break into, and school is crazy expensive in the United States (the average art student leaves school with debt equivalent of a Harvard Law student, or so I've heard). If you have sufficient drive to improve and work crazy hard & it's genuinely what you love, go for it- but you gotta be willing to put in the work. And don't go to any of the Art Institute chain of art schools, they have a terrible reputation. I might recommend going to school in Canada if you can (or at least look into it), since it's far cheaper even if you're not a citizen.

Honestly though, the computer industry is booming right now- a lot of people (including artists I know) have gone back to school for computer repair/tech degrees. Like, learning how to build/fix computers? And most of them have ended up in customer tech/service/repair jobs almost right out of school. Really, the computer industry is EXPLODING right now because it's all just becoming so common and essential. My cousin just recently graduated and got a job at Comcast starting at $15 an hour with benefits like insurance, free cable & internet and phone service. It's insane.

I imagine a computer programming degree would go well too, since stuff like phone apps are a booming business these days.

But yea yer mom's talking out her rear. I think it's important to balance your dreams with practical compromises, but not at the expense of your happiness. Do some research and try to find the best fit for you. c:
@LilithServil Oh yeahh, I understand. It's tough when you aren't being supported by your family- it makes it so much harder to carve out your own path. Still, I believe you should try for something you think you'll enjoy. Don't take a job you know you'll hate or have no interest in.

Art CAN be a really hard industry to break into, and school is crazy expensive in the United States (the average art student leaves school with debt equivalent of a Harvard Law student, or so I've heard). If you have sufficient drive to improve and work crazy hard & it's genuinely what you love, go for it- but you gotta be willing to put in the work. And don't go to any of the Art Institute chain of art schools, they have a terrible reputation. I might recommend going to school in Canada if you can (or at least look into it), since it's far cheaper even if you're not a citizen.

Honestly though, the computer industry is booming right now- a lot of people (including artists I know) have gone back to school for computer repair/tech degrees. Like, learning how to build/fix computers? And most of them have ended up in customer tech/service/repair jobs almost right out of school. Really, the computer industry is EXPLODING right now because it's all just becoming so common and essential. My cousin just recently graduated and got a job at Comcast starting at $15 an hour with benefits like insurance, free cable & internet and phone service. It's insane.

I imagine a computer programming degree would go well too, since stuff like phone apps are a booming business these days.

But yea yer mom's talking out her rear. I think it's important to balance your dreams with practical compromises, but not at the expense of your happiness. Do some research and try to find the best fit for you. c:
Pnb8OQw.png
[quote name="LilithServil" date=2015-04-16 02:04:53] Buuuut my mom just dragged me aside for about an hour and went off on a huge tangent about how "anything and everything involving computers/art can be outsourced for cheaper anyway" and how "the chances of me getting any job like that is so insanely slim" and how "I'm going to end up homeless and living in the woods at this rate" etc etc. Instead, she's trying to pressure me into being a certified nursing assistant and trying to work my way up to going to medical school and being a proper nurse. Because "they make good money". [/quote] I'm sorry but *goes off and laughs in the corner* My local community college specializes in RN training. Forgive me for being crass, but your mother either has no idea what she's talking about or hates you. Crap hours (as in literally every hour because nurses are of course needed 24/7), not-that-great pay for your trouble, and a bunch of stress in the classes alone. I have a friend who freely describes being one as hell. If anything she has this completely backwards and appears to be one of those who is afraid of technology.
LilithServil wrote on 2015-04-16:
Buuuut my mom just dragged me aside for about an hour and went off on a huge tangent about how "anything and everything involving computers/art can be outsourced for cheaper anyway" and how "the chances of me getting any job like that is so insanely slim" and how "I'm going to end up homeless and living in the woods at this rate" etc etc.

Instead, she's trying to pressure me into being a certified nursing assistant and trying to work my way up to going to medical school and being a proper nurse. Because "they make good money".
I'm sorry but *goes off and laughs in the corner*

My local community college specializes in RN training. Forgive me for being crass, but your mother either has no idea what she's talking about or hates you. Crap hours (as in literally every hour because nurses are of course needed 24/7), not-that-great pay for your trouble, and a bunch of stress in the classes alone. I have a friend who freely describes being one as hell.

If anything she has this completely backwards and appears to be one of those who is afraid of technology.
My writing project.
Prove them wrong, but most of all, prove it for yourself.
Prove them wrong, but most of all, prove it for yourself.
25tdzx0.gif
Have you shown your mother your art? That may change her mind.

Also, she's totally wrong about the whole computers thing. We NEED Computer experts in all niches, from industrial to cubicle farms. If you can get into a bit of computer programming, it can get you a nice side job while you figure out what to do with your art career.

(of course I'm still in HS so you can take this with a grain of salt)
Have you shown your mother your art? That may change her mind.

Also, she's totally wrong about the whole computers thing. We NEED Computer experts in all niches, from industrial to cubicle farms. If you can get into a bit of computer programming, it can get you a nice side job while you figure out what to do with your art career.

(of course I'm still in HS so you can take this with a grain of salt)
p9LLFVh.png Wishlist c55Bvd2.png a9TTUxz.gif
1 2 3