Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Hardware Problems
I highly doubt that anyone is going to be able to help me but I have something of a very strange and confusing hardware issue on my computer. So I have a AMD Radeon HD 6870M. At first the card worked fine and all that. Then I downloaded AMD Catalyst Control Center and installed an update for the driver. In the device manager this changed it so that the graphics card read Radeon 6000 series rather than it's actual name. This "update" also caused nearly all of my games to stop reading and recognizing my graphics card and instead read my Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 card. So I went into my device manager and scanned for updates on the AMD card thinking that it messed something up, sure enough I ended up downloading an update for the card that changed it back to it's original name. However nearly everything is messed up now. I can open only a select few .exe programs, which means I can't even open steam. My flash player on Firefox is broke though Google Chrome's still works. I can't even open pictures saved in my computer. Some of my games work fine and read the card as normal, however some of them also give me an error message along the lines of:

"The instruction at 0x77b432b0 referenced memory at 0x0282bbda. The memory could not be read."

If I attempt to update it with the AMD Radeon install thing I get it to revert back to the point it was before everything started going crazy but games and other software can only recognize my intel card still. Firefox works again and I can view photos and log back into steam. But my games cannot recognize my card. and so I am like stuck in this endless loop wondering if anybody could possibly have any idea whats going on.

Also I had this computer since 2012. I can still play my video games on the Intel graphics card but they really don't work as well as they could. Any help is appreciated, Also I did restart my computer after each update and that didn't change anything when I logged back in, and I don't have a system restore point before I installed CCC.
I highly doubt that anyone is going to be able to help me but I have something of a very strange and confusing hardware issue on my computer. So I have a AMD Radeon HD 6870M. At first the card worked fine and all that. Then I downloaded AMD Catalyst Control Center and installed an update for the driver. In the device manager this changed it so that the graphics card read Radeon 6000 series rather than it's actual name. This "update" also caused nearly all of my games to stop reading and recognizing my graphics card and instead read my Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 card. So I went into my device manager and scanned for updates on the AMD card thinking that it messed something up, sure enough I ended up downloading an update for the card that changed it back to it's original name. However nearly everything is messed up now. I can open only a select few .exe programs, which means I can't even open steam. My flash player on Firefox is broke though Google Chrome's still works. I can't even open pictures saved in my computer. Some of my games work fine and read the card as normal, however some of them also give me an error message along the lines of:

"The instruction at 0x77b432b0 referenced memory at 0x0282bbda. The memory could not be read."

If I attempt to update it with the AMD Radeon install thing I get it to revert back to the point it was before everything started going crazy but games and other software can only recognize my intel card still. Firefox works again and I can view photos and log back into steam. But my games cannot recognize my card. and so I am like stuck in this endless loop wondering if anybody could possibly have any idea whats going on.

Also I had this computer since 2012. I can still play my video games on the Intel graphics card but they really don't work as well as they could. Any help is appreciated, Also I did restart my computer after each update and that didn't change anything when I logged back in, and I don't have a system restore point before I installed CCC.
In the device manager, did you try to disable the intel hd graphics chip?

Next step would be, uninstall the radeon driver completely, and re-install clean.
In the device manager, did you try to disable the intel hd graphics chip?

Next step would be, uninstall the radeon driver completely, and re-install clean.
76561198133717324.png

~~ FR-time +9hrs~~
@Bosspferd no I haven't but when should I disable the chip? With the Radeon update or with my device manager's update? Same for the uninstall and re-install.

Also to re-install after uninstalling a device all I have to do is "scan for hardware changes" in the device manager and it should start re-installing the driver right?
@Bosspferd no I haven't but when should I disable the chip? With the Radeon update or with my device manager's update? Same for the uninstall and re-install.

Also to re-install after uninstalling a device all I have to do is "scan for hardware changes" in the device manager and it should start re-installing the driver right?
@Bosspferd so I disabled my intel card with the AMD CCC update and I restarted, went into the device manager and I saw that the AMD Card had some sort of error, whatever error it is I don't know and I couldn't open CCC. But here's a picture

I then re-enabled my intel graphics card and successfully tried to open CCC along with my computer saying it doesn't have an error anymore, shown here.
@Bosspferd so I disabled my intel card with the AMD CCC update and I restarted, went into the device manager and I saw that the AMD Card had some sort of error, whatever error it is I don't know and I couldn't open CCC. But here's a picture

I then re-enabled my intel graphics card and successfully tried to open CCC along with my computer saying it doesn't have an error anymore, shown here.
System restore prior to the installation of the new driver/control center should fix the problem. (providing system restore has a restore image before then)
Especially since it seems like the installation/uninstallation of the new driver is causing numerous problems.

That's however, a last resort if the clean install of the radeon card doesn't fix the issue.

The reason it's saying the memory can't be reference is because of the driver confliction. The computer is either saying 1. The card isn't there (which is why it's reverting to the next thing - the integrated chip on the motherboard) or 2. The card is there, but it can't read any of the memory because it's corrupted.
System restore prior to the installation of the new driver/control center should fix the problem. (providing system restore has a restore image before then)
Especially since it seems like the installation/uninstallation of the new driver is causing numerous problems.

That's however, a last resort if the clean install of the radeon card doesn't fix the issue.

The reason it's saying the memory can't be reference is because of the driver confliction. The computer is either saying 1. The card isn't there (which is why it's reverting to the next thing - the integrated chip on the motherboard) or 2. The card is there, but it can't read any of the memory because it's corrupted.
Idk, i'm just here for the pretty dragons
ಠ_ಠ
@Kassina unfortunately I don't have a system restore prior to it, to reinstall the driver I just need to scan for hardware changes in the device manager after I uninstall it? then it should automatically start reinstalling it?
@Kassina unfortunately I don't have a system restore prior to it, to reinstall the driver I just need to scan for hardware changes in the device manager after I uninstall it? then it should automatically start reinstalling it?
@Shoey On the safe side, yeah - you should. And maybe sfc /scannow in command prompt to ensure there's no problems on the drive itself in relation to the problem.
@Shoey On the safe side, yeah - you should. And maybe sfc /scannow in command prompt to ensure there's no problems on the drive itself in relation to the problem.
Idk, i'm just here for the pretty dragons
ಠ_ಠ
Well my computer did not find any integrity violations after scanning in the command prompt...
Well my computer did not find any integrity violations after scanning in the command prompt...