Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | AmeriCorps? Advice?
1 2
So I'm kind of at a dead end in life right now, due to an unexpected illness forcing me out of college (in my last danged semester), and so long and boring story short, I'm crashing with the parents again at 26, working a crap retail job at minimum wage. I did a lot of volunteer work in college, and I really miss it. I loved doing work that actually made a difference, and feeling like I was actually giving back, and contributing with my skills, rather than being a simple number punching a clock.

I'm thinking really hard about joining AmeriCorps. The stipend would honestly be a step UP from my crap, post-holidays retail pay, and I could get away from the folks. All while doing something that would make me feel less like a waste of space. Hoping that I could use the education payment they promise at the end to pay towards massage therapy school afterwards, and end up in two years with a very pretty resume, and an actual degree. Not to mention a very-desperately needed renewal of my sense of self-worth.

I think, anyway. But all my info is from what I've just read online. Does anyone here have experience with them? Would you advice this as a move, or are there deep, dark secrets that I don't know that make this a bad choice? Looking for advice and input, please and thank you!
So I'm kind of at a dead end in life right now, due to an unexpected illness forcing me out of college (in my last danged semester), and so long and boring story short, I'm crashing with the parents again at 26, working a crap retail job at minimum wage. I did a lot of volunteer work in college, and I really miss it. I loved doing work that actually made a difference, and feeling like I was actually giving back, and contributing with my skills, rather than being a simple number punching a clock.

I'm thinking really hard about joining AmeriCorps. The stipend would honestly be a step UP from my crap, post-holidays retail pay, and I could get away from the folks. All while doing something that would make me feel less like a waste of space. Hoping that I could use the education payment they promise at the end to pay towards massage therapy school afterwards, and end up in two years with a very pretty resume, and an actual degree. Not to mention a very-desperately needed renewal of my sense of self-worth.

I think, anyway. But all my info is from what I've just read online. Does anyone here have experience with them? Would you advice this as a move, or are there deep, dark secrets that I don't know that make this a bad choice? Looking for advice and input, please and thank you!
hYK4ogH.gif
I haven't personally worked with Americorps, but I have a couple of friends who did and they both enjoyed it and thought it was a good experience. One worked at a library, particularly with ESL children, and the other I believe worked for an environmental group. There are lots of subsets of Americorp though, and each individual Americorp program is vastly different.

Hopefully a few other people have had experience with it and can tell you a bit more than me, as I only have heard about it secondhand, but from what I heard it is a really good program. And you won't feel stuck in the retail grind, which just seems to drain you every day.

Good luck, and hopefully someone else can chime in with a little more info than me!
I haven't personally worked with Americorps, but I have a couple of friends who did and they both enjoyed it and thought it was a good experience. One worked at a library, particularly with ESL children, and the other I believe worked for an environmental group. There are lots of subsets of Americorp though, and each individual Americorp program is vastly different.

Hopefully a few other people have had experience with it and can tell you a bit more than me, as I only have heard about it secondhand, but from what I heard it is a really good program. And you won't feel stuck in the retail grind, which just seems to drain you every day.

Good luck, and hopefully someone else can chime in with a little more info than me!
CVX0Ylh.png
So I'm actually 26 too and finally in my last semester of college and my first thought would be to see if there's any way you could go back to finish that last semester and graduate. I left college due to illness halfway through my sophomore year and ended up working as a preschool teacher for a few years. It was okay, but I eventually worked towards getting back to school to finish up my degree and now I'm finally nearly done and am really glad I did.

I don't know your situation but if there's any way to finish that degree since you've already put in a bunch of time and money towards it I'd say do that first. (Also I think AmeriCorps may require a bachelor's degree iirc, I'd looked into it a while ago too.)
So I'm actually 26 too and finally in my last semester of college and my first thought would be to see if there's any way you could go back to finish that last semester and graduate. I left college due to illness halfway through my sophomore year and ended up working as a preschool teacher for a few years. It was okay, but I eventually worked towards getting back to school to finish up my degree and now I'm finally nearly done and am really glad I did.

I don't know your situation but if there's any way to finish that degree since you've already put in a bunch of time and money towards it I'd say do that first. (Also I think AmeriCorps may require a bachelor's degree iirc, I'd looked into it a while ago too.)
I have a friend who did Americorps and loved it. She worked at a children's museum.

I think it sounds like a great idea, and you should go for it. The money for grad school would help a lot too.

I'm your age, and just applied to teach English abroad. It's a big step, but I feel inspired about getting out from a desk job and getting life experience at the same time.
I have a friend who did Americorps and loved it. She worked at a children's museum.

I think it sounds like a great idea, and you should go for it. The money for grad school would help a lot too.

I'm your age, and just applied to teach English abroad. It's a big step, but I feel inspired about getting out from a desk job and getting life experience at the same time.
thw3Wtd.png
@Dreadnoughtus I appreciate any and all feedback. Just knowing that people know people who have had positive experiences with it is helpful. Thank you.

@mirielelloth Finishing up is not really a feasible option right now, sadly. I'd love to eventually, if for no other reason than I truly love my college, and want to be able to say I completed it, after all that work. At this point tho, the degrees (I was a double major, *sobs*) I worked for aren't even what I really want to do anymore? But having them would still be a help. That's why I'm looking for options to help pay, and get me back on my feet.

I haven't seen anything about them requiring a degree? Most of what I've seen promises to help pay for a degree after completing service. But of course, I suppose that depends on the program. The education-based ones may well require a degree.

@Fellis I'm really thinking I'm going to do it.
@Dreadnoughtus I appreciate any and all feedback. Just knowing that people know people who have had positive experiences with it is helpful. Thank you.

@mirielelloth Finishing up is not really a feasible option right now, sadly. I'd love to eventually, if for no other reason than I truly love my college, and want to be able to say I completed it, after all that work. At this point tho, the degrees (I was a double major, *sobs*) I worked for aren't even what I really want to do anymore? But having them would still be a help. That's why I'm looking for options to help pay, and get me back on my feet.

I haven't seen anything about them requiring a degree? Most of what I've seen promises to help pay for a degree after completing service. But of course, I suppose that depends on the program. The education-based ones may well require a degree.

@Fellis I'm really thinking I'm going to do it.
hYK4ogH.gif
hey hey I'm serving with AmeriCorps right now! I just graduated from college last spring and immediately joined AmeriCorps. I'm my old high school as a college coach.

I definitely recommend it! The pay is small, sure, but it's enough to get you through each month as long as you're careful about spending. Plus unless you're living with someone else who makes plenty of money or something like that, then you'll probably qualify for food stamps, which also helps out with money situation. There's a forbearance on my school loans so I don't have to worry about those, and they're even paying all the interest in the time I'm serving. And I am most excited about the education award at the end, since college put me tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

All of my fellow AmeriCorps people are absolutely wonderful and I loved them all from the moment I met them. You'll be part of such a great community. Going to trainings with them are some of my favorite times of the year. Plus, AmeriCorps reimburses you for travel expenses, they pay for your hotel, and your meals while you're there for training. Nothing but good experiences here from me!
hey hey I'm serving with AmeriCorps right now! I just graduated from college last spring and immediately joined AmeriCorps. I'm my old high school as a college coach.

I definitely recommend it! The pay is small, sure, but it's enough to get you through each month as long as you're careful about spending. Plus unless you're living with someone else who makes plenty of money or something like that, then you'll probably qualify for food stamps, which also helps out with money situation. There's a forbearance on my school loans so I don't have to worry about those, and they're even paying all the interest in the time I'm serving. And I am most excited about the education award at the end, since college put me tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

All of my fellow AmeriCorps people are absolutely wonderful and I loved them all from the moment I met them. You'll be part of such a great community. Going to trainings with them are some of my favorite times of the year. Plus, AmeriCorps reimburses you for travel expenses, they pay for your hotel, and your meals while you're there for training. Nothing but good experiences here from me!
@Amulet Awesome! Thank you for sharing. One thing I was curious about was whether or not I'd qualify for food stamps, that's a huge relief, and certainly makes the expenses seem much more feasible now.
@Amulet Awesome! Thank you for sharing. One thing I was curious about was whether or not I'd qualify for food stamps, that's a huge relief, and certainly makes the expenses seem much more feasible now.
hYK4ogH.gif
@Kitari Yep, that's often seen as one of the 'perks' of serving with AmeriCorps. Since we are technically paid with a "living stipend" instead of your standard paycheck, then it counts as $0 income when you're filling out the forms to apply for food stamps. So it definitely helps out!
@Kitari Yep, that's often seen as one of the 'perks' of serving with AmeriCorps. Since we are technically paid with a "living stipend" instead of your standard paycheck, then it counts as $0 income when you're filling out the forms to apply for food stamps. So it definitely helps out!
@Kitari - I did a term of service with AmeriCorps August 2010 - June 2011, also while taking some time off from college. My AmeriCorps (state) program was partnered with a very small, very impoverished school district in the Midwestern United States, and I spent most of my time tutoring fourth, fifth, and sixth grade students in communication arts and math. During the school day I floated between different classrooms, focusing primarily on students who had tested two or more grade levels behind in those subjects. I ran a study hall for one hour during the day for students who needed additional assistance, and then after school I did another two-hour study hall. Weekends were spent doing various service projects with the rest of my AmeriCorps team. We did everything from picking up trash from the sides of the road to assisting at animal shelters to creating community art/craft days to helping out at a food bank. Because I was also trained as a first responder through my program, when the Joplin, MO tornado happened, I was deployed as a first responder and assisted with volunteer coordination and management, clean-up measures, sorting donations, and assisting people with signing up for various services through FEMA and other organizations.

One fantastic thing about AmeriCorps, though, is that there are so many ways for you to engage with it. I know people who have served in museums and national parks, people who have done been stationed on farms, and even someone who assisted with border patrol. I don't know how much you've looked into the various programs at this point, or whether you're aware that there are also various wings of the AmeriCorps program: State, National, VISTA, and NCCC/FEMA Corps (which I think you might actually be too old for at this point). State and National are typically their own programs, whereas AmeriCorps VISTAs serve shorter terms and typically assist with programs that are already underway. (A lot of universities, for example, use VISTA members.)

Part of the intent of the program is to keep individuals who serve at the poverty level. There are a specific set of terms for how you're allowed to talk about your service. You aren't a volunteer; you're a member. You don't work; you serve. You aren't paid; you receive a living allowance. Things like that. AmeriCorps is just not a way to make money, though I do see you mentioned that you think it will be a step up for you in terms of finances. The education award was so helpful for me when I went back to school, though. So helpful. Additionally, AmeriCorps looks fantastic on resumes. I do have to explain to some people exactly what it is, but those who already know are highly impressed, and if you successfully complete a term of service they look at you very highly for government jobs.

That said, I cried practically every single day. Part of this was my fault. I chose to serve in a community with values that didn't match mine at all. I butted heads with my program coordinator a lot. (Think: screaming matches in her office.) There was a lot, lot, lot, lot of drama. But I don't regret it. In fact, I recommend it highly. I've had a few friends join AmeriCorps at my recommendation, and they too have found it an absolutely invaluable experience.

So yeah. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.
@Kitari - I did a term of service with AmeriCorps August 2010 - June 2011, also while taking some time off from college. My AmeriCorps (state) program was partnered with a very small, very impoverished school district in the Midwestern United States, and I spent most of my time tutoring fourth, fifth, and sixth grade students in communication arts and math. During the school day I floated between different classrooms, focusing primarily on students who had tested two or more grade levels behind in those subjects. I ran a study hall for one hour during the day for students who needed additional assistance, and then after school I did another two-hour study hall. Weekends were spent doing various service projects with the rest of my AmeriCorps team. We did everything from picking up trash from the sides of the road to assisting at animal shelters to creating community art/craft days to helping out at a food bank. Because I was also trained as a first responder through my program, when the Joplin, MO tornado happened, I was deployed as a first responder and assisted with volunteer coordination and management, clean-up measures, sorting donations, and assisting people with signing up for various services through FEMA and other organizations.

One fantastic thing about AmeriCorps, though, is that there are so many ways for you to engage with it. I know people who have served in museums and national parks, people who have done been stationed on farms, and even someone who assisted with border patrol. I don't know how much you've looked into the various programs at this point, or whether you're aware that there are also various wings of the AmeriCorps program: State, National, VISTA, and NCCC/FEMA Corps (which I think you might actually be too old for at this point). State and National are typically their own programs, whereas AmeriCorps VISTAs serve shorter terms and typically assist with programs that are already underway. (A lot of universities, for example, use VISTA members.)

Part of the intent of the program is to keep individuals who serve at the poverty level. There are a specific set of terms for how you're allowed to talk about your service. You aren't a volunteer; you're a member. You don't work; you serve. You aren't paid; you receive a living allowance. Things like that. AmeriCorps is just not a way to make money, though I do see you mentioned that you think it will be a step up for you in terms of finances. The education award was so helpful for me when I went back to school, though. So helpful. Additionally, AmeriCorps looks fantastic on resumes. I do have to explain to some people exactly what it is, but those who already know are highly impressed, and if you successfully complete a term of service they look at you very highly for government jobs.

That said, I cried practically every single day. Part of this was my fault. I chose to serve in a community with values that didn't match mine at all. I butted heads with my program coordinator a lot. (Think: screaming matches in her office.) There was a lot, lot, lot, lot of drama. But I don't regret it. In fact, I recommend it highly. I've had a few friends join AmeriCorps at my recommendation, and they too have found it an absolutely invaluable experience.

So yeah. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.
0PqvHjq.png
@Amulet That's so helpful to know! Thank you! It doesn't sound much different from my college finances now, and that was doable with some frugal spending.

@LanguageVirus Oh goodness, thank you for all the information! I'm plenty used to living at the poverty level, luckily (never thought I'd use that word for it) enough, so I think I can handle that. And those terms are just making me more enthusiastic for it, tbh. I don't want to work, I want to serve.

Could you tell me a bit about what the different programs are? Most of the positions I've looked at seem to be 11 month terms of service, is that a particular wing, or just something with those programs? I am indeed too old for the NCCC tho.

I've been looking mainly at a program centered in Appalachia, which is both where I'm from, and work that I have done before, and am familiar with the issues they aim to tackle. At least somewhat. I'm sure I'll learn much, much more if I do it.

Also, what about transportation, and housing?
@Amulet That's so helpful to know! Thank you! It doesn't sound much different from my college finances now, and that was doable with some frugal spending.

@LanguageVirus Oh goodness, thank you for all the information! I'm plenty used to living at the poverty level, luckily (never thought I'd use that word for it) enough, so I think I can handle that. And those terms are just making me more enthusiastic for it, tbh. I don't want to work, I want to serve.

Could you tell me a bit about what the different programs are? Most of the positions I've looked at seem to be 11 month terms of service, is that a particular wing, or just something with those programs? I am indeed too old for the NCCC tho.

I've been looking mainly at a program centered in Appalachia, which is both where I'm from, and work that I have done before, and am familiar with the issues they aim to tackle. At least somewhat. I'm sure I'll learn much, much more if I do it.

Also, what about transportation, and housing?
hYK4ogH.gif
1 2