Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I want to share the joy of lovebirds
1 2 3 4
[center][size=2] i have a lovebird !! his name is archie and he's a fischer's lovebird. [img]http://40.media.tumblr.com/17ce703e0c6f743912282a83b416cd3b/tumblr_mk1lm1qEMH1qga683o1_500.jpg[/img] i already got him when he was an adult though and he's about 2 now. but i recently got a baby indian ringneck parrot so i still hand feed him once a day. if you need any advice on the adorable little baby, then feel free to let me know :)) my little boy (his name is iggy) loves his baby food, but i'm slowly trying to wean him off of it since he'll be four months this feb. [/size][/center]

i have a lovebird !! his name is archie and he's a fischer's lovebird.

tumblr_mk1lm1qEMH1qga683o1_500.jpg

i already got him when he was an adult though and he's about 2 now. but i recently got a baby indian ringneck parrot so i still hand feed him once a day. if you need any advice on the adorable little baby, then feel free to let me know :)) my little boy (his name is iggy) loves his baby food, but i'm slowly trying to wean him off of it since he'll be four months this feb.
@TastyBeansprout0 - Thanks a lot for the advice. It's been 2 days in which Carue is starting to don't nibble the mush feeder and to don't ask for it. So far she (I bet it's a she because she's quite the charlatan and loves small dark places but I have no idea about how to sex it) is nibbling at the seeds from a mix that my breeder gave me that has the right proportion of different seeds. Carue totally loves her "baby" seeds, I think in English is called foxtail millet. She devours it like a deaf chainsaw! But recently she started to get interested in the rest of the seeds and weird colored bits of something that doesn't look like seeds but that are in that formula too.
She recently started to nibble hard at hard surfaces, so I provided her with cuttlefish bones as you mentioned so that she can wear down her evergrowing beak. Also I'm not sure why, but sometimes she eats the seeds whole and after a while she, err... "retches" out the seeds that are apparently more soft after a while in her crop and unhulls them and swallow them again. She also started to nibble at a single peanut seed that she couldn't handle a week ago and now managed to reduce it to bits, it lasted her like 3 hours. She also loves to "lick" everything, like lick lick lick lick everything is a popsicle for her, metal, plastics, wood, your flesh......

My problem is with the water. Since little Carue liked to watch me brush my teeth and after I finish, I fill a bit of the basin with a falling thread of tepid water and she drops down and starts to nibble at the falling water and to wash herself. Now that she can fly, she seems to lurk the kitchen sink and when we start to wash the dishes, she dives down to steal water from the tap. I haven't seen her drinking from the waterbottle thing she has attached to her cage and she dislikes to wet her beak when I offer her a small bottlecap of water. I just hope she doesn't dehydrate herself as I don't like her to drink from the tap because that water is not even for human consumption (and I bought a bottle of spring water just for her).

As for veggies and fruits, I'm not sure where to start. I can provide her apple and she totally rejects the carrots... She also lives outside the cage more time than inside the cage and still prefers to sleep at the nest instead of the cage. She's quite the weirdo...
@TastyBeansprout0 - Thanks a lot for the advice. It's been 2 days in which Carue is starting to don't nibble the mush feeder and to don't ask for it. So far she (I bet it's a she because she's quite the charlatan and loves small dark places but I have no idea about how to sex it) is nibbling at the seeds from a mix that my breeder gave me that has the right proportion of different seeds. Carue totally loves her "baby" seeds, I think in English is called foxtail millet. She devours it like a deaf chainsaw! But recently she started to get interested in the rest of the seeds and weird colored bits of something that doesn't look like seeds but that are in that formula too.
She recently started to nibble hard at hard surfaces, so I provided her with cuttlefish bones as you mentioned so that she can wear down her evergrowing beak. Also I'm not sure why, but sometimes she eats the seeds whole and after a while she, err... "retches" out the seeds that are apparently more soft after a while in her crop and unhulls them and swallow them again. She also started to nibble at a single peanut seed that she couldn't handle a week ago and now managed to reduce it to bits, it lasted her like 3 hours. She also loves to "lick" everything, like lick lick lick lick everything is a popsicle for her, metal, plastics, wood, your flesh......

My problem is with the water. Since little Carue liked to watch me brush my teeth and after I finish, I fill a bit of the basin with a falling thread of tepid water and she drops down and starts to nibble at the falling water and to wash herself. Now that she can fly, she seems to lurk the kitchen sink and when we start to wash the dishes, she dives down to steal water from the tap. I haven't seen her drinking from the waterbottle thing she has attached to her cage and she dislikes to wet her beak when I offer her a small bottlecap of water. I just hope she doesn't dehydrate herself as I don't like her to drink from the tap because that water is not even for human consumption (and I bought a bottle of spring water just for her).

As for veggies and fruits, I'm not sure where to start. I can provide her apple and she totally rejects the carrots... She also lives outside the cage more time than inside the cage and still prefers to sleep at the nest instead of the cage. She's quite the weirdo...
- Sleeping at the frozen mountain of madness.
@Zekromite @Buckyroba
Yeah, millet is always a favorite of small parrots. XD But remember that too much seed will give you a fatty bird when she's a full adult, so it's best to start introducing Carue to more fruits and veggies now than later since she is starting to explore different foods. A little at a time to get her used to it. If you don't get her used to a variety of fresh foods then you'll end up with a super picky bird like my Piper.

Ahh, she has to get used to hulling the seeds herself, but she'll figure it out eventually. She's still pretty young. c: And yeah parrots will lick everything. Since they don't have hands, they use their tongues as a way to feel textures and to figure out if something is edible or able to be chewed.

As for water, I totally understand where you're coming from. When I first got Piper, since I got him the very day he turned 6 months old, he was never used to drinking water out of a bowl or through a water dispenser. For a couple of months, I had to make sure to take him to where we have the drinking tap several times every few hours, and I would put a little droplet of water on the tip of my finger and he would sip it off of my finger, since he was still not transitioned away from baby feeding. However, after awhile he figured out how to drink out of his water dish and he has been fine since then.

Everyday, you should make sure to bring her attention to her water dispenser and to show her that she can drink from it. It might take some time but she will get it eventually, you just gotta be patient and careful about what she consumes during the training.

---
For fresh fruits, some basics that you could start getting her to try are apples, bananas, grapes, melons, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, pears, and citrus fruits like oranges, tangerines, and some lemon. Some more unusual ones that you can give her would be things like kiwis, lychee, blackberries, guava, peaches, nectarines, plums, currants, fresh figs, mangoes, papayas, pineapples, and pomegranates.
Remember that only 10% of her daily diet should consist of fruits, since they have a good amount of natural sugars in them. And for citrus, you should minimize it to only every 4 or 5 days that she eats them.

Some veggies that are good are broccoli, carrots (sometimes birds prefer carrots if they have been grated so they are smaller), carrot tops, bok choy tops, collard greens, peas, lettuce (lettuce is mostly water so it's better to feed them other leaf vegetables, there isn't a lot of nutritional value), kale (a nice dark leaf is good for them, and kale is probably the best leafy green you could provide), spinach (spinach is great because it has a good amount of iron, and a lot of birds are iron deficient, but spinach should be only given here and there because it's thought to lower calcium absorption), green beans, pumpkins and pumpkin seeds, sprouts, yams/sweet potato (birds usually like them better when cooked), zucchini, cucumbers, hot peppers, fennel, bell peppers, soft corn, celery, and turnips.

She'll probably turn her beak up at anything she deems to be too weird to eat, but constant exposure will probably get her to try and get used to the taste and texture of the food you're offering her. But, just like any other person or animal, there will be some things she just straight up doesn't like, so you gotta figure out what she likes and doesn't like after a few tries. c:
And you probably know this already, but always be sure to wash your fruits and veggies thoroughly to make them safe for her to eat! And organic foods are always better for her.

Some things that you should avoid giving her, since they are either toxic or just plain unhealthy, are apple seeds, alcohol, chocolate, extra salt or sugar, asparagus, any beverages that have caffeine in them, sports drinks, milks/creams/dairy products, parsley, tomato, onions, olives, cherry pits, pretty much any fruit pits actually, dried fruits that were meant for human consumption only, and of course if you have any houseplants you need to be sure that they are bird-safe, otherwise keep her far from them.
One food that is always noted as extremely bad is avocado. Avocado is very toxic to parrots and it will end up fatal if they consume it.

Also for peanuts, it's best to keep their consumption low, especially for raw peanuts. Plus, they, and all other nuts, are a fatty food. So too much seeds plus too much nuts = fat bird. However, when balanced with fresh foods and pellets it becomes a good part of their diet.

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html
This has a good list of woods/trees, plants, and foods that are both toxic and safe for your bird.

---
She just needs to get more used to her cage being the nest than the nest box. c: Consistent training is needed to change their diets and other habits.

And for pellet brands, I use and prefer ZuPreem bird pellets, as they have a really good amount of vegetables in them and are overall nutritious. You should try and get your bird to start eating them as soon as you can, along with the fresh veggies, since she seems to be pretty attached to seeds and nuts. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be to get her to eat a better diet, since birds tend to be plucky and stubborn. ;p

Just remember that it takes a lot of time and patience to get your bird used to these things, she probably wont take to it right off the bat.
@Zekromite @Buckyroba
Yeah, millet is always a favorite of small parrots. XD But remember that too much seed will give you a fatty bird when she's a full adult, so it's best to start introducing Carue to more fruits and veggies now than later since she is starting to explore different foods. A little at a time to get her used to it. If you don't get her used to a variety of fresh foods then you'll end up with a super picky bird like my Piper.

Ahh, she has to get used to hulling the seeds herself, but she'll figure it out eventually. She's still pretty young. c: And yeah parrots will lick everything. Since they don't have hands, they use their tongues as a way to feel textures and to figure out if something is edible or able to be chewed.

As for water, I totally understand where you're coming from. When I first got Piper, since I got him the very day he turned 6 months old, he was never used to drinking water out of a bowl or through a water dispenser. For a couple of months, I had to make sure to take him to where we have the drinking tap several times every few hours, and I would put a little droplet of water on the tip of my finger and he would sip it off of my finger, since he was still not transitioned away from baby feeding. However, after awhile he figured out how to drink out of his water dish and he has been fine since then.

Everyday, you should make sure to bring her attention to her water dispenser and to show her that she can drink from it. It might take some time but she will get it eventually, you just gotta be patient and careful about what she consumes during the training.

---
For fresh fruits, some basics that you could start getting her to try are apples, bananas, grapes, melons, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, pears, and citrus fruits like oranges, tangerines, and some lemon. Some more unusual ones that you can give her would be things like kiwis, lychee, blackberries, guava, peaches, nectarines, plums, currants, fresh figs, mangoes, papayas, pineapples, and pomegranates.
Remember that only 10% of her daily diet should consist of fruits, since they have a good amount of natural sugars in them. And for citrus, you should minimize it to only every 4 or 5 days that she eats them.

Some veggies that are good are broccoli, carrots (sometimes birds prefer carrots if they have been grated so they are smaller), carrot tops, bok choy tops, collard greens, peas, lettuce (lettuce is mostly water so it's better to feed them other leaf vegetables, there isn't a lot of nutritional value), kale (a nice dark leaf is good for them, and kale is probably the best leafy green you could provide), spinach (spinach is great because it has a good amount of iron, and a lot of birds are iron deficient, but spinach should be only given here and there because it's thought to lower calcium absorption), green beans, pumpkins and pumpkin seeds, sprouts, yams/sweet potato (birds usually like them better when cooked), zucchini, cucumbers, hot peppers, fennel, bell peppers, soft corn, celery, and turnips.

She'll probably turn her beak up at anything she deems to be too weird to eat, but constant exposure will probably get her to try and get used to the taste and texture of the food you're offering her. But, just like any other person or animal, there will be some things she just straight up doesn't like, so you gotta figure out what she likes and doesn't like after a few tries. c:
And you probably know this already, but always be sure to wash your fruits and veggies thoroughly to make them safe for her to eat! And organic foods are always better for her.

Some things that you should avoid giving her, since they are either toxic or just plain unhealthy, are apple seeds, alcohol, chocolate, extra salt or sugar, asparagus, any beverages that have caffeine in them, sports drinks, milks/creams/dairy products, parsley, tomato, onions, olives, cherry pits, pretty much any fruit pits actually, dried fruits that were meant for human consumption only, and of course if you have any houseplants you need to be sure that they are bird-safe, otherwise keep her far from them.
One food that is always noted as extremely bad is avocado. Avocado is very toxic to parrots and it will end up fatal if they consume it.

Also for peanuts, it's best to keep their consumption low, especially for raw peanuts. Plus, they, and all other nuts, are a fatty food. So too much seeds plus too much nuts = fat bird. However, when balanced with fresh foods and pellets it becomes a good part of their diet.

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html
This has a good list of woods/trees, plants, and foods that are both toxic and safe for your bird.

---
She just needs to get more used to her cage being the nest than the nest box. c: Consistent training is needed to change their diets and other habits.

And for pellet brands, I use and prefer ZuPreem bird pellets, as they have a really good amount of vegetables in them and are overall nutritious. You should try and get your bird to start eating them as soon as you can, along with the fresh veggies, since she seems to be pretty attached to seeds and nuts. The longer you wait the more difficult it will be to get her to eat a better diet, since birds tend to be plucky and stubborn. ;p

Just remember that it takes a lot of time and patience to get your bird used to these things, she probably wont take to it right off the bat.
1 2 3 4