Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Atheist/Agnostic?
1 2 3 4 5 6
I'm an atheist, and have been for the last seven or so years. I used to be Christian, but just gradually stopped believing as I grew older. I never was very devout to begin with though. Never went to church or anything, not like the majority of my family... But I did think there was a god, and would pray from time to time as a kid.

It's just that after years of never seeing or hearing him, never having him answer my prayers, and after years of educating myself and researching, the idea of a god just seems more and more ludicrous to me.

I don't mean any offense to those who are religious mind you.
I'm an atheist, and have been for the last seven or so years. I used to be Christian, but just gradually stopped believing as I grew older. I never was very devout to begin with though. Never went to church or anything, not like the majority of my family... But I did think there was a god, and would pray from time to time as a kid.

It's just that after years of never seeing or hearing him, never having him answer my prayers, and after years of educating myself and researching, the idea of a god just seems more and more ludicrous to me.

I don't mean any offense to those who are religious mind you.
Looking to purchase a Bone fiend or Cog frog! - On hold
Cog Frog Bone Fiend
most people actively on the internet, outside of facebook, are usually non-religious.

15% of Americas are non-religous, so its not that hard to find non-religious people, and i live in Alabama!
going to a small school in a small town in the bible belt, there are several atheists/agnostics at my school. Even wearing Flying Spaghetti Monster shirts and stuff to school, no one says anything bad to me, most people tell me that they love it.

Some people worry about offending religious people, i couldn't care less (unless its a place where i can get introuble for it, like here~). If you object to facts, such as evolution, then you're an idiot. I don't really care what people think though, but when they say teachers should waste their time teaching stuff like creationism, and not evolution, then I care, and tell them to go away. I would go on, but i think thats enough.

There is no point in believing something, whether it be religion or simply a commercial for a product, without evidence to support the claim.
most people actively on the internet, outside of facebook, are usually non-religious.

15% of Americas are non-religous, so its not that hard to find non-religious people, and i live in Alabama!
going to a small school in a small town in the bible belt, there are several atheists/agnostics at my school. Even wearing Flying Spaghetti Monster shirts and stuff to school, no one says anything bad to me, most people tell me that they love it.

Some people worry about offending religious people, i couldn't care less (unless its a place where i can get introuble for it, like here~). If you object to facts, such as evolution, then you're an idiot. I don't really care what people think though, but when they say teachers should waste their time teaching stuff like creationism, and not evolution, then I care, and tell them to go away. I would go on, but i think thats enough.

There is no point in believing something, whether it be religion or simply a commercial for a product, without evidence to support the claim.
I have an etsy shop, check it out https://www.etsy.com/shop/PokuPokuStudio
@Soror
I was kind of annoyed that my parents were atheists as a kid because all the kids from families of unusual religions got to celebrate all the strange and exotic holidays XD
@Soror
I was kind of annoyed that my parents were atheists as a kid because all the kids from families of unusual religions got to celebrate all the strange and exotic holidays XD
CgtyAYW.png
I like the idea, but I don't want to be part of something where you believe in something that isn't confirmed to exist. If an existing deity was proved to be true, I'd definitely choose to be Christian. But for right now, meh. I try to avoid religion all together, it's just too touchy, and that all depends on the person.
I like the idea, but I don't want to be part of something where you believe in something that isn't confirmed to exist. If an existing deity was proved to be true, I'd definitely choose to be Christian. But for right now, meh. I try to avoid religion all together, it's just too touchy, and that all depends on the person.
2zqBVe2.png
ikTPgzn.png
xWATH5C.png
OxagJgG.png
dEpEkJE.gif
Atheist, and laughing about it. Honestly always have been, despite being raised in a religious household. Was never really my thing.

Never expected to see a thread like this, don't see them often outside of specific groups/forums! Don't really express such too much because it seems like in some circles just mentioning the word "atheist" makes people go "AS LONG AS YOU DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY RELIGION I WON'T MAKE FUN OF YOURS" and I'm just like, haha nah. And then people who are religious see me as open to conversion. ;w; People in my area care more about my non-religiousness than about my super queerness, though I'm in a pretty liberal area!

I just feel that the burden of proof for such things is on people trying to prove the existence of any religion, unless there's overwhelming data that says otherwise. (Like, saying that there are deities is a pretty huge claim, but saying things like "extraterrestrial life is likely" is another, because of the way the odds swing ya know? Huge universe, needle in a haystack, whatnot.) And there's like a bajillion religions, and I think that if a deity existed, they'd rather me be non-religious and a good person, than a bad person or worshipping a "false" god, so hey win-win for me.

I'm a biotechnology major currently, though I'm eventually going to be transferring to a bioengineering major! I'd rather design video games/run a video game company but that don't bring in the bread, so I'm hoping to make enough money doing another thing I love to do in order to fund that dream, as a small-time hobby at least. \o/
Atheist, and laughing about it. Honestly always have been, despite being raised in a religious household. Was never really my thing.

Never expected to see a thread like this, don't see them often outside of specific groups/forums! Don't really express such too much because it seems like in some circles just mentioning the word "atheist" makes people go "AS LONG AS YOU DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY RELIGION I WON'T MAKE FUN OF YOURS" and I'm just like, haha nah. And then people who are religious see me as open to conversion. ;w; People in my area care more about my non-religiousness than about my super queerness, though I'm in a pretty liberal area!

I just feel that the burden of proof for such things is on people trying to prove the existence of any religion, unless there's overwhelming data that says otherwise. (Like, saying that there are deities is a pretty huge claim, but saying things like "extraterrestrial life is likely" is another, because of the way the odds swing ya know? Huge universe, needle in a haystack, whatnot.) And there's like a bajillion religions, and I think that if a deity existed, they'd rather me be non-religious and a good person, than a bad person or worshipping a "false" god, so hey win-win for me.

I'm a biotechnology major currently, though I'm eventually going to be transferring to a bioengineering major! I'd rather design video games/run a video game company but that don't bring in the bread, so I'm hoping to make enough money doing another thing I love to do in order to fund that dream, as a small-time hobby at least. \o/
b6b79395300f38d126815a735af03192.pngtumblr_nkoy2v68mq1sjcj33o1_250.gif
[quote name="Lillanix" date="2014-04-15 23:20:44"]I don't know if this counts, but I'm an agnostic theist. I believe in an afterlife and a higher power, but I don't know what they might be, so I don't follow any particular religion.[/quote] [color=orange]@Lillanix I'm an agnostic theist as well. It's cool to know there are others out there!
Lillanix wrote on 2014-04-15 23:20:44:
I don't know if this counts, but I'm an agnostic theist. I believe in an afterlife and a higher power, but I don't know what they might be, so I don't follow any particular religion.

@Lillanix

I'm an agnostic theist as well. It's cool to know there are others out there!
B6ve782.gif
@Sneaky
wait..
what exactly is the difference between agnostic and agnostic theist?
@Sneaky
wait..
what exactly is the difference between agnostic and agnostic theist?
@poochyenarulez
Well, as far as I know, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, but an agnostic person doesn't believe in any higher power, or really religion of any sort. An agnostic theist believes in a higher power and an afterlife, but doesn't follow any particular religion. That is to say, I believe in a god, but it could all be silly stories, you know? It doesn't really have a serious impact on my life.
@poochyenarulez
Well, as far as I know, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, but an agnostic person doesn't believe in any higher power, or really religion of any sort. An agnostic theist believes in a higher power and an afterlife, but doesn't follow any particular religion. That is to say, I believe in a god, but it could all be silly stories, you know? It doesn't really have a serious impact on my life.
B6ve782.gif
@Sneaky
looked up the definition
eh, i guess i see the difference.
agnostic is more you don't care or have an opinion, you don't believe or not believe, but most people who say their agnostic are theists.
@Sneaky
looked up the definition
eh, i guess i see the difference.
agnostic is more you don't care or have an opinion, you don't believe or not believe, but most people who say their agnostic are theists.
@Sneaky
Neat! It's pretty rare for me to meet other agnostic theists. Usually, it seems like most of the people I see around are flat out atheist or Christian. Not that I mind, really, but I'm glad to be reminded that it's not just me.
@Sneaky
Neat! It's pretty rare for me to meet other agnostic theists. Usually, it seems like most of the people I see around are flat out atheist or Christian. Not that I mind, really, but I'm glad to be reminded that it's not just me.
7JvkzvF.pngjx4zL8c.pngPw6I6hG.png

Grim or Jack | they/them | dark type gym leader in training
1 2 3 4 5 6