Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | ELDER. SCROLLS. ONLINE!
1 2 3
@KoreNestis

The best description I can give is that it feels like a TES MMO. Some things were sacrificed for the MMO aspect - for example the toned down stealth *Sob*. But at the same time there are so many more things added like truly madhouse pvp (which fortunately is nothing like WoW) and private dungeons which feel more like D&D dungeons - there is no true tank, but one person controlling the boss and other mobs through health absorption/defense and CC while a healer (if you have one) dps, kites, and heals and the DPS kite and dps as well. DPS can even kite tank if they've got the skills and proper set up. It's not nearly as boring and repetitive as dungeons in some other MMOs. I do believe that Zenimax delivered their promise of preserving the holy trinity (tank-healer-dps) while also making it so that you don't truly need all aspects of the trinity.

And hands down, the story is fantastic. There's the main storyline for your character, there's the main zone storyline, there's the guild storylines (mage and fighter, they're patching in assassin and thief later), and then there's the side quests - some of which are short, one objective deals and others are almost like mini-storylines of their own.

And what you do matters. I cannot emphasize that enough. While questing, I kept getting caught in situations where I had to make a permanent, irreversible decision and those decisions had immediate (and apparently long range) consequences. While I've only seen some of the immediate consequences (not killing someone I could have, for example) I've heard from other people that when they hit max level and went back, the previous questing zones changed according to the decisions they made. I cannot wait for that to happen - it makes hitting max even more exciting now.

As far as the control scheme goes, it's kind of a blend of TES and standard MMO fare. It reminds me the most of GW2 with the dodging and limited spells. People who haven't played TES might have to take longer to get used to it, but with my prior experience it took me almost no time. I think it really depends on your experience with TES games and MMOs - I've heard people both praise and criticize the control scheme so that might be something to watch out for if you take the plunge and get the game.

About the only other thing people really complain about in-game is using trade guilds instead of an AH. I understand why they did it, but I do agree that the system needs some clean up and extra features, like a more powerful search feature.

So what does that all mean? Well, I can't really tell you if it would be worth it to you to drop the money and pick up the game. The only thing I can tell you is that it is absolutely worth it to me. I picked up the imperial edition and I've been having ridiculous amounts of fun ever since. It's become my favorite MMO in only two weeks and I'm already to the point of dropping WoW and never looking back in favor of ESO. I have absolutely fallen in love with this game right from level one when you start out escaping the clutches of Molag Bal, and I expect I will continue that feeling all the way to level fifty and into the veteran ranks. =3
@KoreNestis

The best description I can give is that it feels like a TES MMO. Some things were sacrificed for the MMO aspect - for example the toned down stealth *Sob*. But at the same time there are so many more things added like truly madhouse pvp (which fortunately is nothing like WoW) and private dungeons which feel more like D&D dungeons - there is no true tank, but one person controlling the boss and other mobs through health absorption/defense and CC while a healer (if you have one) dps, kites, and heals and the DPS kite and dps as well. DPS can even kite tank if they've got the skills and proper set up. It's not nearly as boring and repetitive as dungeons in some other MMOs. I do believe that Zenimax delivered their promise of preserving the holy trinity (tank-healer-dps) while also making it so that you don't truly need all aspects of the trinity.

And hands down, the story is fantastic. There's the main storyline for your character, there's the main zone storyline, there's the guild storylines (mage and fighter, they're patching in assassin and thief later), and then there's the side quests - some of which are short, one objective deals and others are almost like mini-storylines of their own.

And what you do matters. I cannot emphasize that enough. While questing, I kept getting caught in situations where I had to make a permanent, irreversible decision and those decisions had immediate (and apparently long range) consequences. While I've only seen some of the immediate consequences (not killing someone I could have, for example) I've heard from other people that when they hit max level and went back, the previous questing zones changed according to the decisions they made. I cannot wait for that to happen - it makes hitting max even more exciting now.

As far as the control scheme goes, it's kind of a blend of TES and standard MMO fare. It reminds me the most of GW2 with the dodging and limited spells. People who haven't played TES might have to take longer to get used to it, but with my prior experience it took me almost no time. I think it really depends on your experience with TES games and MMOs - I've heard people both praise and criticize the control scheme so that might be something to watch out for if you take the plunge and get the game.

About the only other thing people really complain about in-game is using trade guilds instead of an AH. I understand why they did it, but I do agree that the system needs some clean up and extra features, like a more powerful search feature.

So what does that all mean? Well, I can't really tell you if it would be worth it to you to drop the money and pick up the game. The only thing I can tell you is that it is absolutely worth it to me. I picked up the imperial edition and I've been having ridiculous amounts of fun ever since. It's become my favorite MMO in only two weeks and I'm already to the point of dropping WoW and never looking back in favor of ESO. I have absolutely fallen in love with this game right from level one when you start out escaping the clutches of Molag Bal, and I expect I will continue that feeling all the way to level fifty and into the veteran ranks. =3
@Shin, Wow, what an in depth, detailed review. ^-^ Thank you very much for taking your time to type that for me! I did a lot of thinking and decided that I'm going to preorder the Xbox One edition, because as I mentioned before, my computer can only play it on low settings and I want the whole experience. Plus I haven't even messed with that dang console yet, because none of the games interest me, so it's just been the boyfriend playing COD: Ghosts. It's going to be a warzone for that console come June, probably. XD
@Shin, Wow, what an in depth, detailed review. ^-^ Thank you very much for taking your time to type that for me! I did a lot of thinking and decided that I'm going to preorder the Xbox One edition, because as I mentioned before, my computer can only play it on low settings and I want the whole experience. Plus I haven't even messed with that dang console yet, because none of the games interest me, so it's just been the boyfriend playing COD: Ghosts. It's going to be a warzone for that console come June, probably. XD
soundless_space_hatchery_signature_copy_by_vet_in_training-da0l17p.png
1 2 3