Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [guide] Coli skills + enemy stats
1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 70 71
@Sylvandyr

Thank you, I'll check the stats in the Calculator mode.
@Sylvandyr

Thank you, I'll check the stats in the Calculator mode.
@Sylvandyr

I posted here the new stats for the Harpy's Roost trainer: 108 STR / 74 QCK / 40 VIT / 14 DEF. I still have to check the turn order against the 4-packs and if it's better to use Haste.
@Sylvandyr

I posted here the new stats for the Harpy's Roost trainer: 108 STR / 74 QCK / 40 VIT / 14 DEF. I still have to check the turn order against the 4-packs and if it's better to use Haste.
@Maki Thank you very much! I need to respec my Wind trainer with the new stats. I’ll update my old post with a link to yours when I have time too. Updated, thanks!
@Maki Thank you very much! I need to respec my Wind trainer with the new stats. I’ll update my old post with a link to yours when I have time too. Updated, thanks!
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
@Sylvandyr

Hi, sorry to be a bother.

I'm trying to do some minmaxing on a ghostlight ruins build, and I've been trying to see how much DEF would actually affect how much my dragon takes hits from enemy Scratches. But I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the formula for Scratch damage you've written out. When I try to run the calculations using standard PEMDAS order of operations, I get the wrong answer. Do you have another way of writing it that really clearly states which operations come first? Like, with more parentheses...

If not, then I'll just keep rewriting it until I get it. It's very possible that there's nothing wrong or confusing about the way you wrote it out, I haven't taken a math class in a while. But I've been banging my head against this for half an hour and I figured I'd just ask the person who actually figured it out.
@Sylvandyr

Hi, sorry to be a bother.

I'm trying to do some minmaxing on a ghostlight ruins build, and I've been trying to see how much DEF would actually affect how much my dragon takes hits from enemy Scratches. But I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the formula for Scratch damage you've written out. When I try to run the calculations using standard PEMDAS order of operations, I get the wrong answer. Do you have another way of writing it that really clearly states which operations come first? Like, with more parentheses...

If not, then I'll just keep rewriting it until I get it. It's very possible that there's nothing wrong or confusing about the way you wrote it out, I haven't taken a math class in a while. But I've been banging my head against this for half an hour and I figured I'd just ask the person who actually figured it out.
@Kasael Could you perhaps show me your calculations? It could be easier to spot a misunderstanding.
@Kasael Could you perhaps show me your calculations? It could be easier to spot a misunderstanding.
@Sylvandyr

This is embarrassing, but absolutely!

The way I'm parsing it is...
Quote:
((4 * STR) + 12 ) - (((floor(DEF / 3 )) * 4 ) + (DEF % 3) ))

In this case I'm using a Greybeak Reaper (STR 44, according to your coli enemy stats table) using Scratch against a dragon with 31 DEF. So that's...
Quote:
((4 * 44 ) + 12 ) - (((floor (31/3)) * 4 ) + ( 31 % 3 ) ))

( 176 + 12 ) - (((floor(10.3333333 etc.)) * 4 ) + ( 1 ) )

188 - ( (10 * 4 ) + 1 )

188 - 41 = 147

However, the actual damage he takes is 159, so clearly I'm beefing it in one or multiple places.
@Sylvandyr

This is embarrassing, but absolutely!

The way I'm parsing it is...
Quote:
((4 * STR) + 12 ) - (((floor(DEF / 3 )) * 4 ) + (DEF % 3) ))

In this case I'm using a Greybeak Reaper (STR 44, according to your coli enemy stats table) using Scratch against a dragon with 31 DEF. So that's...
Quote:
((4 * 44 ) + 12 ) - (((floor (31/3)) * 4 ) + ( 31 % 3 ) ))

( 176 + 12 ) - (((floor(10.3333333 etc.)) * 4 ) + ( 1 ) )

188 - ( (10 * 4 ) + 1 )

188 - 41 = 147

However, the actual damage he takes is 159, so clearly I'm beefing it in one or multiple places.
@Kasael Thanks so much! A few notes before we get into the math: If you'd like, feel free to use [url=https://fir-fr-coli-skills.firebaseapp.com/]Calculator mode in this tool[/url] to enter stuff. It has the known enemy stats saved and you can click multiple times to count the number of hits and see the result. (The calculator came up with 159 damage from your stats!) Secondly, you mentioned min-maxing for GLR, and based on your 31 DEF, I think that you'd benefit more from putting into VIT instead. Some DEF is good but I'd lower it to maybe 16-ish (try the different combos in that ballpark, try the steps less or more). I've found that those tend to give you better results for the amount of stats that we currently have available. If I'm wrong, bump up the DEF in the combo - it depends on how many stats you have available to spend, plus the invisible line of how much VIT + how much DEF is best. Okay! Back to the formula. [quote][b] (4 * STR + 12) - (floor(DEF / 3) * 4 + (DEF % 3))[/b][/quote] You did the math right, except Greybeak Reaper has 47 STR, not 44. 44 is its listed QCK stat. Sorry for the confusion!
@Kasael Thanks so much!

A few notes before we get into the math:

If you'd like, feel free to use Calculator mode in this tool to enter stuff. It has the known enemy stats saved and you can click multiple times to count the number of hits and see the result. (The calculator came up with 159 damage from your stats!)

Secondly, you mentioned min-maxing for GLR, and based on your 31 DEF, I think that you'd benefit more from putting into VIT instead. Some DEF is good but I'd lower it to maybe 16-ish (try the different combos in that ballpark, try the steps less or more). I've found that those tend to give you better results for the amount of stats that we currently have available. If I'm wrong, bump up the DEF in the combo - it depends on how many stats you have available to spend, plus the invisible line of how much VIT + how much DEF is best.

Okay! Back to the formula.
Quote:
(4 * STR + 12) - (floor(DEF / 3) * 4 + (DEF % 3))

You did the math right, except Greybeak Reaper has 47 STR, not 44. 44 is its listed QCK stat. Sorry for the confusion!
@Sylvandyr

Well, that would be the problem. I hadn't played around with the calculator, but I think I'll just... use that.

This confirms my suspicion that DEF doesn't do that much, but I'm still going to run some more math before I lock everything in again.

Thank you so much for generating all these resources, and for doing some idiot-proofing for me, haha.
@Sylvandyr

Well, that would be the problem. I hadn't played around with the calculator, but I think I'll just... use that.

This confirms my suspicion that DEF doesn't do that much, but I'm still going to run some more math before I lock everything in again.

Thank you so much for generating all these resources, and for doing some idiot-proofing for me, haha.
@Kasael It's an easy mistake to make, I don't think I ordered the fields in the stats table very intuitively. I'm not satisfied with how hard the tables are to read, I need to put some work into improving those in the future. Maybe even make it customizably-sortable, but that'll take some fiddling with a page that's not hooked up to any db / login. I'll have to drop in some cookies.

Thank you! :)
@Kasael It's an easy mistake to make, I don't think I ordered the fields in the stats table very intuitively. I'm not satisfied with how hard the tables are to read, I need to put some work into improving those in the future. Maybe even make it customizably-sortable, but that'll take some fiddling with a page that's not hooked up to any db / login. I'll have to drop in some cookies.

Thank you! :)
@Sylvandyr

Some names were changed/corrected:

Redrock Cove

Oceansurf Mage -> Oceansurf Magus

Ghostlight Ruins

Otherwordly Aura -> Otherworldly Aura

@Sylvandyr

Some names were changed/corrected:

Redrock Cove

Oceansurf Mage -> Oceansurf Magus