Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Advice Desired: How to Start a Hatchery
Hello! I'm trying to start up a precious metal/stone themed hatchery. I thought it fit the earth flight theme well. I was just wondering what some good strategies would be to get started? I'm still trying to find and gene out dragons or this project, which seems like it'll take forever. I know that's just the first step, but I'm struggling with it.
Hello! I'm trying to start up a precious metal/stone themed hatchery. I thought it fit the earth flight theme well. I was just wondering what some good strategies would be to get started? I'm still trying to find and gene out dragons or this project, which seems like it'll take forever. I know that's just the first step, but I'm struggling with it.
@SoulCase

i can't help much with gene projects, but in terms of actually setting up a hatchery, this is the guide i looked at when i was first getting started!

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/968221

i haven't updated my own hatchery in a while though, i'm sure someone else will have better advise for you
@SoulCase

i can't help much with gene projects, but in terms of actually setting up a hatchery, this is the guide i looked at when i was first getting started!

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/968221

i haven't updated my own hatchery in a while though, i'm sure someone else will have better advise for you
ctYHVNq.png

almost always looking for g1 banescales OwO

gened g1 banescale count: 117
(last updated 4/28/24 11:05pm est)
nt1bp.gif

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=drs&id=1315342
mxWs6gv.gif

3DBOIBO.gif

oie-v-C7-Pp-Yu-F6gz-H.png
@Kaibutsu Thanks for the lead! Any advice is welcome. :)
@Kaibutsu Thanks for the lead! Any advice is welcome. :)
@soulcase @kaibutsu DO NOT click the Doomfishy's FR signature creator link. It's broken and does NOT send you to the right website.
@soulcase @kaibutsu DO NOT click the Doomfishy's FR signature creator link. It's broken and does NOT send you to the right website.
COnwekB.pngsnvCbCv.jpgLTPvb84.pngKrwGLXp.png
@DissolvedInk Gotcha, thanks for the warning!
@DissolvedInk Gotcha, thanks for the warning!
@dissolvedink oh yikes, thanks for the heads up!
@dissolvedink oh yikes, thanks for the heads up!
ctYHVNq.png

almost always looking for g1 banescales OwO

gened g1 banescale count: 117
(last updated 4/28/24 11:05pm est)
nt1bp.gif

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=drs&id=1315342
mxWs6gv.gif

3DBOIBO.gif

oie-v-C7-Pp-Yu-F6gz-H.png
@SoulCase Hi! I started my hatchery in October. I thought I'd share a resource you may be interested in. It's a small, fairly quiet community that gives awesome hatchery/breeding project feedback and links to several resources as well! [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2946778][img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/788282224587046923/789926544926834688/treasurednests.png[/img][/url][/center] As for my own advice, I visited a bunch of hatcheries to see how they did it and took inspiration from multiple places for formatting. I think having clear sections laying out the hatchery is important (intro, sales, breeding pairs, etc), and make sure to reserve the entire first page of your hatchery so its not separated by other people's posts. I started with my sale section below my breeding pairs section and decided I really didn't like that and moved things around later. Having sales near the top is good so people don't have to search for what they're ultimately there for: buying dragons. I also find its nice to have links to each of the different sections right at the top of each for navigating. I don't like it when I visit someone else's hatchery and have to scroll and scroll to get back to the top or something. And don't feel pressured to finish every project before you open, either. You can start small at just one or two and work your way up to more pairs. You can even start with dragons you plan to eventually retire. If you decide you don't like things, just change it up at your own pace. There's no wrong way to run a hatchery :)
@SoulCase

Hi! I started my hatchery in October. I thought I'd share a resource you may be interested in. It's a small, fairly quiet community that gives awesome hatchery/breeding project feedback and links to several resources as well!
treasurednests.png

As for my own advice, I visited a bunch of hatcheries to see how they did it and took inspiration from multiple places for formatting. I think having clear sections laying out the hatchery is important (intro, sales, breeding pairs, etc), and make sure to reserve the entire first page of your hatchery so its not separated by other people's posts.

I started with my sale section below my breeding pairs section and decided I really didn't like that and moved things around later. Having sales near the top is good so people don't have to search for what they're ultimately there for: buying dragons. I also find its nice to have links to each of the different sections right at the top of each for navigating. I don't like it when I visit someone else's hatchery and have to scroll and scroll to get back to the top or something.

And don't feel pressured to finish every project before you open, either. You can start small at just one or two and work your way up to more pairs. You can even start with dragons you plan to eventually retire. If you decide you don't like things, just change it up at your own pace. There's no wrong way to run a hatchery :)
Lore
Badges
Wishlist
Verdant Hatchery. My pronouns are she/her and I am three hours ahead of Flight Rising time.
@aesthera :) Thanks fore the advice! I'll check out that discord as soon as I have a little bit of time.
@aesthera :) Thanks fore the advice! I'll check out that discord as soon as I have a little bit of time.
@SoulCase

if you need someone to help make graphics for your hatchery, i just opened a graphics shop!
@SoulCase

if you need someone to help make graphics for your hatchery, i just opened a graphics shop!