Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | AH Guide: Tips & Economy Killers
[center][size=6][u]Selling Effectively On the Auction house[/u][/size] [size=5][color=#ff0000]:Disclaimer:[/size][/color] [quote][b]DO NOT PUBLICLY LINK USERS HERE[/b] and [b]DO NOT BE NASTY TO THE USERS YOU LINK HERE.[/b] I didn't make this so you could snidely tell people off and I did not make this so you could try to publicly humiliate them. This is for reference purposes ONLY. [b]On the opposite side;[/b] Please keep in mind, you are the only one who stands to gain from linking you here so if I or someone else links you here, please don't be offended and please don't attack us. If you don't agree or you don't care about the economy that's fine. You have a right to your opinion. But that doesn't mean you get to verbally abuse someone who is just trying to help. We're not trying to tell you that your technique is 'wrong' and mine is 'right'. It's just offering another perspective, one that has served me well thus far. [/quote] Now, this is just my personal opinion (Though I can tell you it's tried and true), if you disagree just give me a heads up. I have no problem explaining or reviewing my stance in light of new information or superior logic. [img]https://i.gyazo.com/81e53c98375bc45393f636fa275a483c.png[/img] [size=3][b]General Don'ts:[/b][/size] 1. [color=02967B][u]Throwing a ton of one thing on the AH (Swipps items excluded)[/u]:[/color] This is the absolute worst thing you can do. It reinforces the perception that your item is common placed, and yes, even if there are 80 million already up for sale, it will. Because we don't look at how many are up total we look at that first page of the lowest priced and make our decisions based on that. From A Buyer's perceptive: It is human nature to want the best deal we can get. The second there is more than 1 available for that price we're debating whether it's a good deal or not. Once there's more than 2 or 3, we're looking for something cheaper because YOU have become the base price. You become the last resort because there's so many are available. The more you see up for that price the less demand you feel there is for it because, 'Hey, if that were such a great deal they would have sold already' Right? From a Seller's perceptive: The longer that listing is up the more of a chance of getting undercut there is and the more people who undercut you the less you're item is worth and no one likes or wants that (Except the buyers of course X3). Not to mention that it only takes 1 listing to undercut your several listings, making that a lot of wasted effort.[/quote] 2. [color=02967B][u]Undercutting Slow selling/Expensive items by more than 10%:[/u][/color] Now this one is debatable; it depends on how closely you watch the listings for your item. If you're just throwing it up in the AH and you're not going to look at it again until it sells or time lapses it's not a good idea to undercut the lowest buy more than 10% because if it doesn't sell, if you are undercut, it becomes one of many weights pulling the price down, yours particularly more weighty than the others. And the effect snowballs until either listings are taken down or players purchase them. [size=2][i]More added as I think of them~[/i][/size] [img]https://i.gyazo.com/81e53c98375bc45393f636fa275a483c.png[/img] [size=3][b]General suggestions:[/b][/size] 1.[color=02967B][u]If it's not a dragon or a unique item like a UM accent, don't list it for more than a day.[/u][/color] Reason? Because, like stated above; If you're not going to look at it again until it sells or time lapses and it [i]doesn't[/i] sell, if you are undercut, it becomes one more weight pulling the price down and the effect snowballs until either the listings are taken down or players purchase them. Otherwise, the worst that happens is you have to list it again. If there are some circumstances that prevent you from being able to do this, I Suggest #2. 2. [color=02967B][u]Only undercut the cheapest listing by 10% or less.[/u][/color] (Reason stated above in #2 Don'ts) 3.[color=02967B][u]If you [i]really[/i] feel the need to undercut by a more significant amount, WATCH YOUR LISTING.[/u][/color] You do [i]not[/i] want to start that trend. If you're undercut (especially on expensive items) I suggest taking your listing down and waiting for the under cutter's to sell. It may seem counter intuitive but by doing this you widen the price gap, making it look like a more desirable deal and increase the chances that the listing will sell and you can relist yours for the desired price. [size=2][i]More added as I think of them~[/i][/size] [img]https://i.gyazo.com/81e53c98375bc45393f636fa275a483c.png[/img] ------------- [quote][size=5]That's all for now! Feel free to bump this thread to show support but please keep all questions or negative comments to PMs please. I don't want to get into a public discussion/argument. ^^;[/size][/quote]
Selling Effectively On the Auction house

:Disclaimer:
Quote:
DO NOT PUBLICLY LINK USERS HERE and DO NOT BE NASTY TO THE USERS YOU LINK HERE.
I didn't make this so you could snidely tell people off and I did not make this so you could try to publicly humiliate them. This is for reference purposes ONLY.

On the opposite side; Please keep in mind, you are the only one who stands to gain from linking you here so if I or someone else links you here, please don't be offended and please don't attack us. If you don't agree or you don't care about the economy that's fine. You have a right to your opinion. But that doesn't mean you get to verbally abuse someone who is just trying to help. We're not trying to tell you that your technique is 'wrong' and mine is 'right'. It's just offering another perspective, one that has served me well thus far.

Now, this is just my personal opinion (Though I can tell you it's tried and true), if you disagree just give me a heads up. I have no problem explaining or reviewing my stance in light of new information or superior logic.

81e53c98375bc45393f636fa275a483c.png

General Don'ts:

1. Throwing a ton of one thing on the AH (Swipps items excluded):
This is the absolute worst thing you can do. It reinforces the perception that your item is common placed, and yes, even if there are 80 million already up for sale, it will. Because we don't look at how many are up total we look at that first page of the lowest priced and make our decisions based on that.

From A Buyer's perceptive: It is human nature to want the best deal we can get. The second there is more than 1 available for that price we're debating whether it's a good deal or not. Once there's more than 2 or 3, we're looking for something cheaper because YOU have become the base price. You become the last resort because there's so many are available. The more you see up for that price the less demand you feel there is for it because, 'Hey, if that were such a great deal they would have sold already' Right?

From a Seller's perceptive: The longer that listing is up the more of a chance of getting undercut there is and the more people who undercut you the less you're item is worth and no one likes or wants that (Except the buyers of course X3). Not to mention that it only takes 1 listing to undercut your several listings, making that a lot of wasted effort.[/quote]

2. Undercutting Slow selling/Expensive items by more than 10%:
Now this one is debatable; it depends on how closely you watch the listings for your item. If you're just throwing it up in the AH and you're not going to look at it again until it sells or time lapses it's not a good idea to undercut the lowest buy more than 10% because if it doesn't sell, if you are undercut, it becomes one of many weights pulling the price down, yours particularly more weighty than the others. And the effect snowballs until either listings are taken down or players purchase them.

More added as I think of them~

General suggestions:

1.If it's not a dragon or a unique item like a UM accent, don't list it for more than a day.
Reason? Because, like stated above; If you're not going to look at it again until it sells or time lapses and it doesn't sell, if you are undercut, it becomes one more weight pulling the price down and the effect snowballs until either the listings are taken down or players purchase them. Otherwise, the worst that happens is you have to list it again. If there are some circumstances that prevent you from being able to do this, I Suggest #2.

2. Only undercut the cheapest listing by 10% or less.
(Reason stated above in #2 Don'ts)

3.If you really feel the need to undercut by a more significant amount, WATCH YOUR LISTING.
You do not want to start that trend. If you're undercut (especially on expensive items) I suggest taking your listing down and waiting for the under cutter's to sell. It may seem counter intuitive but by doing this you widen the price gap, making it look like a more desirable deal and increase the chances that the listing will sell and you can relist yours for the desired price.

More added as I think of them~

Quote:
That's all for now! Feel free to bump this thread to show support but please keep all questions or negative comments to PMs please. I don't want to get into a public discussion/argument. ^^;
---I consistently sell food! And YES I delete my posts---
Leveling%20service.pngShop.pngWishlist.png
How about Don't buy from the person who undercuts by only 1 (treasure), instead of offering a real discount. I mean, come on, 5 or 10 off is not too much to expect! Though I don't expect that affects the economy much; it's just petty!
How about Don't buy from the person who undercuts by only 1 (treasure), instead of offering a real discount. I mean, come on, 5 or 10 off is not too much to expect! Though I don't expect that affects the economy much; it's just petty!
pSn2GKM.png If you like them, please Like them!
An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. No more, no less.

If your item isn't selling, or if you just need to get rid of an item quick, undercutting by more than 10% is definitely the way to go. Chances are, it'll just get scooped up by an Auction House flipper who has more time and patience and can afford to wait for it to sell for more. This is especially true of rare-but-free items like apparel or egg Coli drops. No matter what, you're making a profit and someone else is getting an item that they want. It's a win-win.

This also prevents items with an artificially-inflated price (like newly-released items) from staying artificially-inflated. You'll never hear the word "undercutter" thrown around more freely than a couple weeks after a new item update.

Quite frankly, I find the idea that you're accusing people of "killing the economy" in the title of the thread and then you ask (albeit politely) for people not to post contradicting viewpoints on the thread itself to be... baffling, actually.

EDIT FOR READERS: For a more complete version of this guide, one that advises against undercutting but also acknowledges the whims of the market, one that encourages open and friendly discussion, please check out sQld's Guide

EDIT 2: And for more on my controversial viewpoint, there's always Ygdrasill's Guide
An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. No more, no less.

If your item isn't selling, or if you just need to get rid of an item quick, undercutting by more than 10% is definitely the way to go. Chances are, it'll just get scooped up by an Auction House flipper who has more time and patience and can afford to wait for it to sell for more. This is especially true of rare-but-free items like apparel or egg Coli drops. No matter what, you're making a profit and someone else is getting an item that they want. It's a win-win.

This also prevents items with an artificially-inflated price (like newly-released items) from staying artificially-inflated. You'll never hear the word "undercutter" thrown around more freely than a couple weeks after a new item update.

Quite frankly, I find the idea that you're accusing people of "killing the economy" in the title of the thread and then you ask (albeit politely) for people not to post contradicting viewpoints on the thread itself to be... baffling, actually.

EDIT FOR READERS: For a more complete version of this guide, one that advises against undercutting but also acknowledges the whims of the market, one that encourages open and friendly discussion, please check out sQld's Guide

EDIT 2: And for more on my controversial viewpoint, there's always Ygdrasill's Guide
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
@Ridara I just saw this because I wasn't pinged but I really don't appreciate your post. ):

I agree that the point you make is a valid point of view and if you wanted to quote/link/ping me in your own thread or message me, that's fine. You have every right to disagree and to express that you disagree, but doing it on my thread is another thing entirely. Overall, your post is just comes off rude. Not the way you said it necessarily or even it's message, but because of the complete (and imo, undeserved) lack of consideration it shows me.

You acknowledged that I asked people not to post things like it on here (and even said that I was polite about it) but then completely ignore it. That's, truthfully, a small slight and if it were the only one I'd be inclined to ignore it (or maybe just simply ask if you'd be willing to remove it), but it's not the only one.

It continues when you say I'm accusing people of killing the economy. First of all, anything that happens to the economy is in direct relation to the people in it so... By that logic I guess it is? But that's equivalent to saying that "Fossil fuel emissions are bad for the ozone" is accusing people of hurting the environment. 'These things hurt the economy' - Whether you agree with it or not, it's purpose is informative not inflammatory making it a statement, not an accusation. What I don't appreciate is giving it a connotation that isn't there.

Lastly, you add insult yo injury in your edit. It's just flat out disrespectful to come on someone's guide and then try to draw readers away from it just because you don't agree.

But to clarify for you and anyone else who may read this; I asked for people not to post their contrasting opinions on here because this is to be used for reference, not to start a debate. That's why it's in guides and not discussion. This post was to express my opinion and unless someone's argument changes my point of view, it doesn't need to be reflected on my post. Comments on here were meant to suggest additions or if they felt like it, support. If someone wants to voice their opinion publicly they should make their own thread. And If there is another guide like this, it doesn't need to be advertised on mine. Someone who's looking for this kind of thing will find it on their own and make their own decisions.
- - - - - - - -

I apologize for the long response but I felt a curt one was more likely to result in offense being taken or feelings being hurt, which is not my intent. While I was dismayed by your post it was well written and definitely at least civil, which I both appreciate and admire. Either way, I see no need to archive this if you don't. If you choose to remove your post, know that I will do the same.
@Ridara I just saw this because I wasn't pinged but I really don't appreciate your post. ):

I agree that the point you make is a valid point of view and if you wanted to quote/link/ping me in your own thread or message me, that's fine. You have every right to disagree and to express that you disagree, but doing it on my thread is another thing entirely. Overall, your post is just comes off rude. Not the way you said it necessarily or even it's message, but because of the complete (and imo, undeserved) lack of consideration it shows me.

You acknowledged that I asked people not to post things like it on here (and even said that I was polite about it) but then completely ignore it. That's, truthfully, a small slight and if it were the only one I'd be inclined to ignore it (or maybe just simply ask if you'd be willing to remove it), but it's not the only one.

It continues when you say I'm accusing people of killing the economy. First of all, anything that happens to the economy is in direct relation to the people in it so... By that logic I guess it is? But that's equivalent to saying that "Fossil fuel emissions are bad for the ozone" is accusing people of hurting the environment. 'These things hurt the economy' - Whether you agree with it or not, it's purpose is informative not inflammatory making it a statement, not an accusation. What I don't appreciate is giving it a connotation that isn't there.

Lastly, you add insult yo injury in your edit. It's just flat out disrespectful to come on someone's guide and then try to draw readers away from it just because you don't agree.

But to clarify for you and anyone else who may read this; I asked for people not to post their contrasting opinions on here because this is to be used for reference, not to start a debate. That's why it's in guides and not discussion. This post was to express my opinion and unless someone's argument changes my point of view, it doesn't need to be reflected on my post. Comments on here were meant to suggest additions or if they felt like it, support. If someone wants to voice their opinion publicly they should make their own thread. And If there is another guide like this, it doesn't need to be advertised on mine. Someone who's looking for this kind of thing will find it on their own and make their own decisions.
- - - - - - - -

I apologize for the long response but I felt a curt one was more likely to result in offense being taken or feelings being hurt, which is not my intent. While I was dismayed by your post it was well written and definitely at least civil, which I both appreciate and admire. Either way, I see no need to archive this if you don't. If you choose to remove your post, know that I will do the same.
---I consistently sell food! And YES I delete my posts---
Leveling%20service.pngShop.pngWishlist.png