Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Thoughts about the reception of Aethers
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16
I'm growing on Aethers quite a bit, so I want to start with that. Now, to get to why they got an eye-brow rise from me... When I read this lore bit, "They prefer the allure of the unknown..." it really interested me in the flight a bit despite being Shadow (I generally have my own perspective, though I like seeing trickster vibes from them). So, a bug-like dragon was definitely unexpected at first glance. Now, this doesn't mean they can't necessarily be Arcane like with how I felt about Veilspun. Veilspun can absolutely be Shadow (I mean the staff made them Shadow for a reason or so. Edit: After rereading, it seems to be the capricious or fickle nature in my eyes.). I just think they are better suited for Driftwood Drag over Wispwillow Grove, and they don't necessarily give me a trickster vibe even after reading their lore. I just think a lot of people have different expectations of what Arcane represents or what side they may like to see. I thought they would go for something alien, cryptic, or eldritch. A moth dragon feels very familiar to what we know.
I'm growing on Aethers quite a bit, so I want to start with that. Now, to get to why they got an eye-brow rise from me... When I read this lore bit, "They prefer the allure of the unknown..." it really interested me in the flight a bit despite being Shadow (I generally have my own perspective, though I like seeing trickster vibes from them). So, a bug-like dragon was definitely unexpected at first glance. Now, this doesn't mean they can't necessarily be Arcane like with how I felt about Veilspun. Veilspun can absolutely be Shadow (I mean the staff made them Shadow for a reason or so. Edit: After rereading, it seems to be the capricious or fickle nature in my eyes.). I just think they are better suited for Driftwood Drag over Wispwillow Grove, and they don't necessarily give me a trickster vibe even after reading their lore. I just think a lot of people have different expectations of what Arcane represents or what side they may like to see. I thought they would go for something alien, cryptic, or eldritch. A moth dragon feels very familiar to what we know.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
I completely understand why the Aethers are not to people's taste, and why some are disappointed. The part I don't quite understand is people saying they feel let down or even lied to by the teaser for them. I keep seeing folks express the sentiment that they were expecting more from the new breed because "they had so much more build than past ancient breeds". With all due respect to those who feel that way: did they? Did they really? I mean, if you're being really technical about it I guess they did, in that they got exactly one (1) more teaser image than the others have. That's not really a huge difference, and it was probably just so that the little mini sequence of the island crashing flowed better.

It was a good teaser, but I'm still a little surprised at the reaction it got. Obviously there was always going to be a lot of hype - that's the whole point of a teaser after all - but I do feel some people let their expectations run wild without much basis, and inadvertently doomed themselves to disappointment. I don't fault anyone for it, it happens to all of us sometimes, but I do think there's a lesson to be learned here about tempering expectations.

As for those who feel tricked because the UFO aspect of the teaser made them expect something more spacey/alien: I kinda get where you're coming from? But think about it: the devs would probably have had the lore explanation for the new breed's sudden reappearance in mind for ages, probably before the design was even finalized. The Aethers being in space was just a perfect reason for them to have been gone so long, and fits with Arcane's theme of astronomy and the like. There probably wasn't much more thought to it than that, and I'm sure their intent was never to deceive people.
I completely understand why the Aethers are not to people's taste, and why some are disappointed. The part I don't quite understand is people saying they feel let down or even lied to by the teaser for them. I keep seeing folks express the sentiment that they were expecting more from the new breed because "they had so much more build than past ancient breeds". With all due respect to those who feel that way: did they? Did they really? I mean, if you're being really technical about it I guess they did, in that they got exactly one (1) more teaser image than the others have. That's not really a huge difference, and it was probably just so that the little mini sequence of the island crashing flowed better.

It was a good teaser, but I'm still a little surprised at the reaction it got. Obviously there was always going to be a lot of hype - that's the whole point of a teaser after all - but I do feel some people let their expectations run wild without much basis, and inadvertently doomed themselves to disappointment. I don't fault anyone for it, it happens to all of us sometimes, but I do think there's a lesson to be learned here about tempering expectations.

As for those who feel tricked because the UFO aspect of the teaser made them expect something more spacey/alien: I kinda get where you're coming from? But think about it: the devs would probably have had the lore explanation for the new breed's sudden reappearance in mind for ages, probably before the design was even finalized. The Aethers being in space was just a perfect reason for them to have been gone so long, and fits with Arcane's theme of astronomy and the like. There probably wasn't much more thought to it than that, and I'm sure their intent was never to deceive people.
3sBLd.gif?5g6Xz=party.png
I was also hoping something rather different than what we got (something more like this: https://www.deviantart.com/slaskia/art/Chaos-Dragon-Finished-61116947 though this guy could slide into Plague just as well XD)...and I feel like we've been getting too many 'fluffy' dragon breeds as of late. Now, I don't mind fur on a dragon...however the amount of floof on Aethers (and Tundras) is not to my taste.

Admittedly, when it comes to dragon designs I do tend to prefer the more 'traditional' types (scaly and monstrous looking). So part of the issue I have (and others, I imagine) is personal taste.
I was also hoping something rather different than what we got (something more like this: https://www.deviantart.com/slaskia/art/Chaos-Dragon-Finished-61116947 though this guy could slide into Plague just as well XD)...and I feel like we've been getting too many 'fluffy' dragon breeds as of late. Now, I don't mind fur on a dragon...however the amount of floof on Aethers (and Tundras) is not to my taste.

Admittedly, when it comes to dragon designs I do tend to prefer the more 'traditional' types (scaly and monstrous looking). So part of the issue I have (and others, I imagine) is personal taste.
Any dragon in the 'Fodder Tab' available for sale. Fodder Tab dragons are 10k treasure for adults, 5k treasure for hatchlings. I also have leveled (up to lv 8) dragons in my Hib Den I'm willing to sell for 15k treasure min.
I don't dislike Aethers (well, except the hatchlings) but like many others I expect something more otherworldly, more rule breaking.
I thought multiple limbs are gonna be the main selling point of a arcane breed but they turn out to be barely noticeable, which is a tini bit let down. I'd love to have a derg with legs like horseshoe crabs!
I don't dislike Aethers (well, except the hatchlings) but like many others I expect something more otherworldly, more rule breaking.
I thought multiple limbs are gonna be the main selling point of a arcane breed but they turn out to be barely noticeable, which is a tini bit let down. I'd love to have a derg with legs like horseshoe crabs!
Just a heads-up: I usually delete the threads I made before it reaches 10 replies because I want to keep my forum history tidy.
I'm a fan of the Aether designs, just maybe not their posing?
I wish that their second set of arms were more visible, it wouldn't have made them less moth-like while emphasising the insect theming D:

Personally, this would've been a good opportunity to have a fluffy short-necked design. I prefer to ignore how fae have folded necks but can't here, it just isn't my style. Perhaps it would be too close to Obelisks/others, alas.

I think they're my only gripes? Players wanting more horrific designs is completely understandable, especially now we know design boundaries can be Broken with Abberations, and it would've been a good opportunity for more alien designs.

I'm overall very content and happy to welcome some cute little book eaters once the AH moves past first gens like there Undertides are rn
I'm a fan of the Aether designs, just maybe not their posing?
I wish that their second set of arms were more visible, it wouldn't have made them less moth-like while emphasising the insect theming D:

Personally, this would've been a good opportunity to have a fluffy short-necked design. I prefer to ignore how fae have folded necks but can't here, it just isn't my style. Perhaps it would be too close to Obelisks/others, alas.

I think they're my only gripes? Players wanting more horrific designs is completely understandable, especially now we know design boundaries can be Broken with Abberations, and it would've been a good opportunity for more alien designs.

I'm overall very content and happy to welcome some cute little book eaters once the AH moves past first gens like there Undertides are rn
whisp-magicksial-2.png
Heyo, I'm
Magick!

he/she/they
interchangeably

>:3c
1dguu_IKpr_Ds_S6_ETJ.gif
i mean, they're about what i expected i guess. however i usually don't care about ancients as much since i'm a very apparel-themed lair (although i LOVE abberations)

edit: also yeah, a little tired of fluffy dragons. i mean, fur is fine but we already have like 3 breeds with a full coat -_-
i mean, they're about what i expected i guess. however i usually don't care about ancients as much since i'm a very apparel-themed lair (although i LOVE abberations)

edit: also yeah, a little tired of fluffy dragons. i mean, fur is fine but we already have like 3 breeds with a full coat -_-
divider_by_yesirukey-dbok0z5.pngdivider_by_yesirukey-dbok0z5.png
They look nice, but I was expecting more legs from Arcane. The extra pair of arms being almost completely hidden by the abundance of floof of the main arms is also a little sad.

I don't think I would have ever thought of something too far from a typical dragon design... I think ideally I'd keep the overall design of the Aethers but make them slightly less fluffy and give them two more pairs of smaller arms/legs that look like the chubby little grabby-hand nubbins that tardigrades have. Still cute, but veers a bit more into non-standard configuration (and still fits the bug/bookworm theme).
They look nice, but I was expecting more legs from Arcane. The extra pair of arms being almost completely hidden by the abundance of floof of the main arms is also a little sad.

I don't think I would have ever thought of something too far from a typical dragon design... I think ideally I'd keep the overall design of the Aethers but make them slightly less fluffy and give them two more pairs of smaller arms/legs that look like the chubby little grabby-hand nubbins that tardigrades have. Still cute, but veers a bit more into non-standard configuration (and still fits the bug/bookworm theme).
-AchievementGet-
For me, the faces veer just enough into uncanny valley that I just can't. I don't know if it's the teeth or the flatness but they are off just enough that they are not for me.

I think they fit the 'bug' aesthetic well, though I also didn't notice the 2nd set of arms at first. The genes are great. The lore is hysterically funny, and the fact that they are 'bookwyrm' dragons makes me die laughing. I probably just won't have a lair full.
For me, the faces veer just enough into uncanny valley that I just can't. I don't know if it's the teeth or the flatness but they are off just enough that they are not for me.

I think they fit the 'bug' aesthetic well, though I also didn't notice the 2nd set of arms at first. The genes are great. The lore is hysterically funny, and the fact that they are 'bookwyrm' dragons makes me die laughing. I probably just won't have a lair full.
mkpoaHZ.png
I think they’re neat. My favorites are Fae and VS, and I could see Aether fitting into my lair as my new #3. I am in love with their Space tert. I can’t seem to make any scries I like for them without it.

Are they eldritch “horror”? Sadly, no. Are they the children of Mothra ready to kick some Shade behind? Yes, and I’m ok with that.

If one does not like them, one does not have to keep them in one’s lair. There is no shame in that. Nor is there any shame for those who do like them. There are 21 breeds in this game currently, with more to come. Play with the breeds you love and ignore the ones you don’t. Or waste your time and energy being negative. Up to you.
I think they’re neat. My favorites are Fae and VS, and I could see Aether fitting into my lair as my new #3. I am in love with their Space tert. I can’t seem to make any scries I like for them without it.

Are they eldritch “horror”? Sadly, no. Are they the children of Mothra ready to kick some Shade behind? Yes, and I’m ok with that.

If one does not like them, one does not have to keep them in one’s lair. There is no shame in that. Nor is there any shame for those who do like them. There are 21 breeds in this game currently, with more to come. Play with the breeds you love and ignore the ones you don’t. Or waste your time and energy being negative. Up to you.
D17BJbU.jpgyzvRydr.png
I think Aethers are a good cross between a standard dragon and eldritch horror. The bug theme is on point for the flight and I think it's cool they are more fleshed out versions of some old concept art.

Not many people are huge fans of body horror (ie all the dislike for plague primal eyes) so I can see why they would go for a less horrifying base. They can get all weird and eldritch, space proves it. There is so much potential for future genes that carry on the eldritch theme.

I think Aethers are a good cross between a standard dragon and eldritch horror. The bug theme is on point for the flight and I think it's cool they are more fleshed out versions of some old concept art.

Not many people are huge fans of body horror (ie all the dislike for plague primal eyes) so I can see why they would go for a less horrifying base. They can get all weird and eldritch, space proves it. There is so much potential for future genes that carry on the eldritch theme.

qi4vciN.pngjELaj9w.pngO0Pbuvo.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16