Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why was Spines rarity changed?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="arcaneidolriots" date="2023-03-21 22:26:33" ] [quote name="CastInCopper" date="2023-03-21 21:17:27" ] Im not mad or anything [/quote] Oh, I am. I am quite frustrated with this sudden and unannounced change. Seriously, why [i]can't[/i] the devs gives players warning ahead of time they're going to be messing with old and well established genes? I have three breeding pairs that I deliberately chose Spines for and paired them up another Limited tert gene because I liked the look of both terts for the pair. It also gives my customers options; if they don't like one tert, no big deal, they can wait for hatchlings with the other gene. Now I'm going to have to regene those breeding pairs which, at the minimum, is going to run me up 570kT. I can pay for the expense, that's not the issue, but this was not the kind of news I was expecting to wake up to. Kinda kills my excitement for the new Ancient breed honestly. Instead of potentially buying new dragons, I'm going to be spending that money fixing my pairs. :\ [quote name="Scintillia" date="2023-03-21 21:18:38" ] Limited genes are usually either genes only found at certain times of the year(like smirch and nocturne breed scrolls) or ones that are created/dug up(arlo and baldwin). Spines,, wasn't created by either, so it was changed to the correct rarity! [/quote] If that's the case then Gembond and Runes should have had their rarity changed to Uncommon as well, as those genes are also available year-round on the MP. And this just adds to my frustration because now I don't know if those terts [i]will[/i] get their rarities changed at some point! Which means that I'll have a whole other batch of breeding pairs that will likely need to have their terts addressed. I don't want to be spending more money on pairs that I already had completed. I want to spend that money on new projects! (Also, casual reminder that Bar & Daub, despite being a matching gene set, have [i]different gene rarities that have never been addressed[/i]. Bar is Uncommon and Daub is Common. What's even better is that Aberrations [i]do[/i] have Daub set as Uncommon rarity and matches Bar, but now we have the issue that [i]gene raritiy is inconsistent across Modern and Ancient breeds[/i]. Another example is Hex. It's Uncommon for Modern breeds but Common for Veilspun. Shouldn't those issues have more priority in fixing?) Look, I'm aware that the devs can make whatever changes they want. I don't have a problem with that, it's their game after all. [b]All I ask is to be warned ahead of time of these changes.[/b] /rant [/quote] This for me too. I'm also a bit upset that this change isn't in the new Aether announcement post. Usually changes like this are added in the next announcement post at the bottom. Unfortunately lots of people don't read the site status. The change just makes no sense when there's all these other inconsistencies that have never been fixed before. So why now? Why with no warning? And why does staff keep changing things without warning when every time it makes some people upset? I just don't think giving a heads up is that hard. I dont have any stake in spines going to uncommon. I luckily dont have any breeding pairs that utilized it. But I feel for those that did, and I am not happy by the lack of a warning. I also just think it sets a weird precedent for future gene changes. Like gembond, runes, or as quoted above, Daub and Bar between moderns and Aberrations.
arcaneidolriots wrote on 2023-03-21 22:26:33:
CastInCopper wrote on 2023-03-21 21:17:27:
Im not mad or anything

Oh, I am. I am quite frustrated with this sudden and unannounced change. Seriously, why can't the devs gives players warning ahead of time they're going to be messing with old and well established genes?

I have three breeding pairs that I deliberately chose Spines for and paired them up another Limited tert gene because I liked the look of both terts for the pair. It also gives my customers options; if they don't like one tert, no big deal, they can wait for hatchlings with the other gene.

Now I'm going to have to regene those breeding pairs which, at the minimum, is going to run me up 570kT. I can pay for the expense, that's not the issue, but this was not the kind of news I was expecting to wake up to. Kinda kills my excitement for the new Ancient breed honestly. Instead of potentially buying new dragons, I'm going to be spending that money fixing my pairs. :\

Scintillia wrote on 2023-03-21 21:18:38:
Limited genes are usually either genes only found at certain times of the year(like smirch and nocturne breed scrolls) or ones that are created/dug up(arlo and baldwin). Spines,, wasn't created by either, so it was changed to the correct rarity!

If that's the case then Gembond and Runes should have had their rarity changed to Uncommon as well, as those genes are also available year-round on the MP.

And this just adds to my frustration because now I don't know if those terts will get their rarities changed at some point! Which means that I'll have a whole other batch of breeding pairs that will likely need to have their terts addressed. I don't want to be spending more money on pairs that I already had completed. I want to spend that money on new projects!

(Also, casual reminder that Bar & Daub, despite being a matching gene set, have different gene rarities that have never been addressed. Bar is Uncommon and Daub is Common.

What's even better is that Aberrations do have Daub set as Uncommon rarity and matches Bar, but now we have the issue that gene raritiy is inconsistent across Modern and Ancient breeds. Another example is Hex. It's Uncommon for Modern breeds but Common for Veilspun. Shouldn't those issues have more priority in fixing?)

Look, I'm aware that the devs can make whatever changes they want. I don't have a problem with that, it's their game after all. All I ask is to be warned ahead of time of these changes.

/rant

This for me too.

I'm also a bit upset that this change isn't in the new Aether announcement post. Usually changes like this are added in the next announcement post at the bottom. Unfortunately lots of people don't read the site status.

The change just makes no sense when there's all these other inconsistencies that have never been fixed before. So why now? Why with no warning? And why does staff keep changing things without warning when every time it makes some people upset? I just don't think giving a heads up is that hard.

I dont have any stake in spines going to uncommon. I luckily dont have any breeding pairs that utilized it. But I feel for those that did, and I am not happy by the lack of a warning. I also just think it sets a weird precedent for future gene changes. Like gembond, runes, or as quoted above, Daub and Bar between moderns and Aberrations.
9d21b9f3b3688b826fe1b99c787d3f75d8ae1a82.png
[quote name="RobotMothPie" date="2023-03-22 08:09:12" ] [quote name="arcaneidolriots" date="2023-03-21 22:26:33" ] [quote name="CastInCopper" date="2023-03-21 21:17:27" ] Im not mad or anything [/quote] Oh, I am. I am quite frustrated with this sudden and unannounced change. Seriously, why [i]can't[/i] the devs gives players warning ahead of time they're going to be messing with old and well established genes? I have three breeding pairs that I deliberately chose Spines for and paired them up another Limited tert gene because I liked the look of both terts for the pair. It also gives my customers options; if they don't like one tert, no big deal, they can wait for hatchlings with the other gene. Now I'm going to have to regene those breeding pairs which, at the minimum, is going to run me up 570kT. I can pay for the expense, that's not the issue, but this was not the kind of news I was expecting to wake up to. Kinda kills my excitement for the new Ancient breed honestly. Instead of potentially buying new dragons, I'm going to be spending that money fixing my pairs. :\ [quote name="Scintillia" date="2023-03-21 21:18:38" ] Limited genes are usually either genes only found at certain times of the year(like smirch and nocturne breed scrolls) or ones that are created/dug up(arlo and baldwin). Spines,, wasn't created by either, so it was changed to the correct rarity! [/quote] If that's the case then Gembond and Runes should have had their rarity changed to Uncommon as well, as those genes are also available year-round on the MP. And this just adds to my frustration because now I don't know if those terts [i]will[/i] get their rarities changed at some point! Which means that I'll have a whole other batch of breeding pairs that will likely need to have their terts addressed. I don't want to be spending more money on pairs that I already had completed. I want to spend that money on new projects! (Also, casual reminder that Bar & Daub, despite being a matching gene set, have [i]different gene rarities that have never been addressed[/i]. Bar is Uncommon and Daub is Common. What's even better is that Aberrations [i]do[/i] have Daub set as Uncommon rarity and matches Bar, but now we have the issue that [i]gene raritiy is inconsistent across Modern and Ancient breeds[/i]. Another example is Hex. It's Uncommon for Modern breeds but Common for Veilspun. Shouldn't those issues have more priority in fixing?) Look, I'm aware that the devs can make whatever changes they want. I don't have a problem with that, it's their game after all. [b]All I ask is to be warned ahead of time of these changes.[/b] /rant [/quote] This for me too. I'm also a bit upset that this change isn't in the new Aether announcement post. Usually changes like this are added in the next announcement post at the bottom. Unfortunately lots of people don't read the site status. The change just makes no sense when there's all these other inconsistencies that have never been fixed before. So why now? Why with no warning? And why does staff keep changing things without warning when every time it makes some people upset? I just don't think giving a heads up is that hard. I dont have any stake in spines going to uncommon. I luckily dont have any breeding pairs that utilized it. But I feel for those that did, and I am not happy by the lack of a warning. I also just think it sets a weird precedent for future gene changes. Like gembond, runes, or as quoted above, Daub and Bar between moderns and Aberrations. [/quote] This is rather concerning for all of these reasons...
RobotMothPie wrote on 2023-03-22 08:09:12:
arcaneidolriots wrote on 2023-03-21 22:26:33:
CastInCopper wrote on 2023-03-21 21:17:27:
Im not mad or anything

Oh, I am. I am quite frustrated with this sudden and unannounced change. Seriously, why can't the devs gives players warning ahead of time they're going to be messing with old and well established genes?

I have three breeding pairs that I deliberately chose Spines for and paired them up another Limited tert gene because I liked the look of both terts for the pair. It also gives my customers options; if they don't like one tert, no big deal, they can wait for hatchlings with the other gene.

Now I'm going to have to regene those breeding pairs which, at the minimum, is going to run me up 570kT. I can pay for the expense, that's not the issue, but this was not the kind of news I was expecting to wake up to. Kinda kills my excitement for the new Ancient breed honestly. Instead of potentially buying new dragons, I'm going to be spending that money fixing my pairs. :\

Scintillia wrote on 2023-03-21 21:18:38:
Limited genes are usually either genes only found at certain times of the year(like smirch and nocturne breed scrolls) or ones that are created/dug up(arlo and baldwin). Spines,, wasn't created by either, so it was changed to the correct rarity!

If that's the case then Gembond and Runes should have had their rarity changed to Uncommon as well, as those genes are also available year-round on the MP.

And this just adds to my frustration because now I don't know if those terts will get their rarities changed at some point! Which means that I'll have a whole other batch of breeding pairs that will likely need to have their terts addressed. I don't want to be spending more money on pairs that I already had completed. I want to spend that money on new projects!

(Also, casual reminder that Bar & Daub, despite being a matching gene set, have different gene rarities that have never been addressed. Bar is Uncommon and Daub is Common.

What's even better is that Aberrations do have Daub set as Uncommon rarity and matches Bar, but now we have the issue that gene raritiy is inconsistent across Modern and Ancient breeds. Another example is Hex. It's Uncommon for Modern breeds but Common for Veilspun. Shouldn't those issues have more priority in fixing?)

Look, I'm aware that the devs can make whatever changes they want. I don't have a problem with that, it's their game after all. All I ask is to be warned ahead of time of these changes.

/rant

This for me too.

I'm also a bit upset that this change isn't in the new Aether announcement post. Usually changes like this are added in the next announcement post at the bottom. Unfortunately lots of people don't read the site status.

The change just makes no sense when there's all these other inconsistencies that have never been fixed before. So why now? Why with no warning? And why does staff keep changing things without warning when every time it makes some people upset? I just don't think giving a heads up is that hard.

I dont have any stake in spines going to uncommon. I luckily dont have any breeding pairs that utilized it. But I feel for those that did, and I am not happy by the lack of a warning. I also just think it sets a weird precedent for future gene changes. Like gembond, runes, or as quoted above, Daub and Bar between moderns and Aberrations.

This is rather concerning for all of these reasons...
kXpNHpy.pngplagueshieldr.png99zjGkK.pngzSvfhTP.pngshadowshieldl.pngK3S42IV.png
I do a lot of breeding projects. I take gene rarity into count for nearly every dragon I buy. Thank goodness I didn’t buy several spines dragons yesterday. You want genes to be more consistent, fine great. But why was it changed overnight with no warning and the only way you knew was a tiny blurb in dev updates.

Why exactly were we given 2 weeks notice on something as useless as Coli skins hoard sell price changing by a few thousand treasure but something extremely important and impactful to anyone who breeds dragons gets a Surprise! You might have missed it! (Especially since the only official word of this will likely disappear in a day or two with new updates) update with no warning.

This is a horrible precedent. Now everytime I buy a dragon I now need to worry about it being useless by the time I wake up tomorrow. Thanks staff
I do a lot of breeding projects. I take gene rarity into count for nearly every dragon I buy. Thank goodness I didn’t buy several spines dragons yesterday. You want genes to be more consistent, fine great. But why was it changed overnight with no warning and the only way you knew was a tiny blurb in dev updates.

Why exactly were we given 2 weeks notice on something as useless as Coli skins hoard sell price changing by a few thousand treasure but something extremely important and impactful to anyone who breeds dragons gets a Surprise! You might have missed it! (Especially since the only official word of this will likely disappear in a day or two with new updates) update with no warning.

This is a horrible precedent. Now everytime I buy a dragon I now need to worry about it being useless by the time I wake up tomorrow. Thanks staff
gG13YVz.pngtumblr_o4yu8gUBhN1uvtnbto1_400.png
[quote name="Gryphire" date="2023-03-22 13:52:55" ] I do a lot of breeding projects. I take gene rarity into count for nearly every dragon I buy. Thank goodness I didn’t buy several spines dragons yesterday. You want genes to be more consistent, fine great. But why was it changed overnight with no warning and the only way you knew was a tiny blurb in dev updates. Why exactly were we given 2 weeks notice on something as useless as Coli skins hoard sell price changing by a few thousand treasure but something extremely important and impactful to anyone who breeds dragons gets a Surprise! You might have missed it! (Especially since the only official word of this will likely disappear in a day or two with new updates) update with no warning. This is a horrible precedent. Now everytime I buy a dragon I now need to worry about it being useless by the time I wake up tomorrow. Thanks staff [/quote] Worst than that this create in players fear that EVERY. dragon they bought/gen turne into "pumpkin" tomorrow. Why not suppose starmap become plentiful and const - uncommon and bar rare? Just with no warning and reason same as spines (I hyperbolized example, but still! While change is unreasoned evvery change is possible)
Gryphire wrote on 2023-03-22 13:52:55:

Worst than that this create in players fear that EVERY. dragon they bought/gen turne into "pumpkin" tomorrow.
Why not suppose starmap become plentiful and const - uncommon and bar rare?
Just with no warning and reason same as spines (I hyperbolized example, but still! While change is unreasoned evvery change is possible)

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
Agreed, this 'unannounced but potentially-debilitating change' thing happens way too often on this site. I appreciated the heads up on coli skins (which had a much smaller potential impact)... I wish they'd do it for all stuff like this. But coli skins is the *only* time I can currently recall where we were warned.

Also I used spines to balance out *multiple* of my breeding pairs including several legacy challenge pairs and now that's all gone to the dumpster fire. And as stated, if spines changed suddenly, who's to say which genes will change next, so how do I know what is safe to change them to? Short answer: I don't. Yay. -grumbles ineffectually-
Agreed, this 'unannounced but potentially-debilitating change' thing happens way too often on this site. I appreciated the heads up on coli skins (which had a much smaller potential impact)... I wish they'd do it for all stuff like this. But coli skins is the *only* time I can currently recall where we were warned.

Also I used spines to balance out *multiple* of my breeding pairs including several legacy challenge pairs and now that's all gone to the dumpster fire. And as stated, if spines changed suddenly, who's to say which genes will change next, so how do I know what is safe to change them to? Short answer: I don't. Yay. -grumbles ineffectually-
Come to the dork side. Do not make me de-story you. Image © Diaktoros
DriftAwayBanner_zpsd03e0e45.jpg tumblr_om7wmtaZKm1w2diclo1_100.png
DNOE36T.png
(water-only links)
i don’t usually breed dragons (let alone with spines), but i did think that it was such a weird way to announce the change? like why on the sidebar where it’s arguably easier to miss? why no heads up in regards to a change that affects breeding on a breeding game? it just seems like an inconvenient way to do things; and why now? why not save it to make a larger post dedicated to breed rarity (like someone else in this thread mentioned)? idk

i feel bad for those who feel screwed over by it though. i hope y’all are able to properly adjust your breeding pairs and projects without losing out on too much money :pensive:
i don’t usually breed dragons (let alone with spines), but i did think that it was such a weird way to announce the change? like why on the sidebar where it’s arguably easier to miss? why no heads up in regards to a change that affects breeding on a breeding game? it just seems like an inconvenient way to do things; and why now? why not save it to make a larger post dedicated to breed rarity (like someone else in this thread mentioned)? idk

i feel bad for those who feel screwed over by it though. i hope y’all are able to properly adjust your breeding pairs and projects without losing out on too much money :pensive:
y6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
This makes me so incredibly angry. I have 26 breeding pairs in my lair and this breaks 10 of them. Almost half, including my custom progenitor pair. For no reason, with no warning, and no explanation. I've been playing this game for 6 years and Spines has been a Limited gene the entire time. Why now, out of the blue, have they suddenly decided to change it? It's not the only market-available limited gene, so that's not a valid excuse.

I'm going to be even more ticked if the whole reason for this change was because they needed an Uncommon tert for the new ancient. I don't buy or breed ancients, so that would mean that they broke half my breeding program for dragons I don't even keep.
This makes me so incredibly angry. I have 26 breeding pairs in my lair and this breaks 10 of them. Almost half, including my custom progenitor pair. For no reason, with no warning, and no explanation. I've been playing this game for 6 years and Spines has been a Limited gene the entire time. Why now, out of the blue, have they suddenly decided to change it? It's not the only market-available limited gene, so that's not a valid excuse.

I'm going to be even more ticked if the whole reason for this change was because they needed an Uncommon tert for the new ancient. I don't buy or breed ancients, so that would mean that they broke half my breeding program for dragons I don't even keep.
Just making this for the achievement. You can call me "Ban"
i know staff is probably busy with fixing aether stuff but PLEASE address this guys. at least give us a reason why u changed it that’s all we ask for
i know staff is probably busy with fixing aether stuff but PLEASE address this guys. at least give us a reason why u changed it that’s all we ask for
Our apologies. Upon reading this we agree that this change was more far-reaching than just a categorization fix, and notice should have been given.

Our reasoning for the change was that Spines was a treasure marketplace gene, but had crafting/site activity rarity. It was an error, but one that was around for a long time. Notice (and quite a bit of it) should have been given before making the change. We intend to correct item errors when we find them, but this is definitely a larger change than a typo error or minor price correction.

We will be auditing our existing genes for rarity errors in the future, and before we implement any changes to rarity genes on that have been around for more than 3 months, we will be giving a multi-month notice that the change is coming so that players can make plans for their breeding pairs.

Thank you for the feedback on this issue.

Our apologies. Upon reading this we agree that this change was more far-reaching than just a categorization fix, and notice should have been given.

Our reasoning for the change was that Spines was a treasure marketplace gene, but had crafting/site activity rarity. It was an error, but one that was around for a long time. Notice (and quite a bit of it) should have been given before making the change. We intend to correct item errors when we find them, but this is definitely a larger change than a typo error or minor price correction.

We will be auditing our existing genes for rarity errors in the future, and before we implement any changes to rarity genes on that have been around for more than 3 months, we will be giving a multi-month notice that the change is coming so that players can make plans for their breeding pairs.

[quote name="@Undel" date="2023-03-23 14:23:15" ] Our apologies. Upon reading this we agree that this change was more far-reaching than just a categorization fix, and notice should have been given. Our reasoning for the change was that Spines was a treasure marketplace gene, but had crafting/site activity rarity. It was an error, but one that was around for a long time. Notice (and quite a bit of it) should have been given before making the change. We intend to correct item errors when we find them, but this is definitely a larger change than a typo error or minor price correction. We will be auditing our existing genes for rarity errors in the future, and before we implement any changes to rarity genes on that have been around for more than 3 months, we will be giving a multi-month notice that the change is coming so that players can make plans for their breeding pairs. Thank you for the feedback on this issue. [/quote] I don't think errors that no one ever noticed or realized was an error should be corrected. Especially after so many years and so many people have used it. Its a non-issue. But if this is the case, why now? Runes shouldn't be limited too in that case. Why was it not caught and fixed when Gaolers were released? Does that mean it, gembond, and Bar/Daub's inconsistency will be fixed shortly too? I just think its good to give players variety for gene rarities in their price range. I think spines being a treasure limited was good for players who don't have the time to grind for other limited genes. I think the rule should only apply to new genes for the future, but genes in the past should not be touched. Not after 6+ years. And I'm sorry if this is rude, but this lack of communication keeps happening. Zero notice and then an apology for the lack of notice, saying you'll do better next time. And then y'all don't communicate again about something else later. Any changes for things that have been around for a long time should [i]*always*[/i] be given ample notice. And yet it keeps happening. I just expect better communication from staff. This constant pattern of breaking trust is getting really concerning and exhausting. It just seems unprofessional.
@Undel wrote on 2023-03-23 14:23:15:

I don't think errors that no one ever noticed or realized was an error should be corrected. Especially after so many years and so many people have used it. Its a non-issue.

But if this is the case, why now? Runes shouldn't be limited too in that case. Why was it not caught and fixed when Gaolers were released? Does that mean it, gembond, and Bar/Daub's inconsistency will be fixed shortly too?

I just think its good to give players variety for gene rarities in their price range. I think spines being a treasure limited was good for players who don't have the time to grind for other limited genes. I think the rule should only apply to new genes for the future, but genes in the past should not be touched. Not after 6+ years.

And I'm sorry if this is rude, but this lack of communication keeps happening. Zero notice and then an apology for the lack of notice, saying you'll do better next time. And then y'all don't communicate again about something else later. Any changes for things that have been around for a long time should *always* be given ample notice. And yet it keeps happening. I just expect better communication from staff. This constant pattern of breaking trust is getting really concerning and exhausting. It just seems unprofessional.
9d21b9f3b3688b826fe1b99c787d3f75d8ae1a82.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7