Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | hot take: Exalting is a public service.
1 2 3 4 5
Before I say anything else, I just want to be clear that this thread isn't inspired by, much less responding to, anything in particular on-site!
However, I had a friend chatting to me about one element of FR that made him hesitant to play being exaltation, and that got me thinking about my own philosophy around it:

Exaltation is a public service.

—And I don't just mean in lore! The nature of Flight Rising is that the number of dragons increase at an exponential rate—and none of those dragons ever die. In order for the servers to not simply expire from the load, there's got to be a release valve; this is well-known and plenty discussed.

Despite this, normally I see discussions of exaltation being undertaken in one of the following ways:
  • defensive/apologetic (understandable on an emotional level)
  • aggressively UNapologetic, "my dragon, my choice" (absolutely true, and the healthier attitude long-term, imo)
  • practical and profit-minded (it is, I will be the first to admit, a great source of income!)

However, I'd love to see more FR users start to embrace exalting dragons as genuinely a public good—something to be undertaken, regardless of any other factors, as a way of doing one's part to keep the site healthy.

Personally, I have even stopped maintaining "fodder breeder pairs," because there are plenty of "fodder-priced" dragons available for sale on the AH, and my goal is to help lighten the site's load (while funding my own projects of course) ...but I wouldn't say it's necessary for anyone else to go that far, haha.

What do you think about this stance?
Have you ever thought of it this way before? If not, would thinking of it this way make you more likely to try out regularly participating in exaltation?
Before I say anything else, I just want to be clear that this thread isn't inspired by, much less responding to, anything in particular on-site!
However, I had a friend chatting to me about one element of FR that made him hesitant to play being exaltation, and that got me thinking about my own philosophy around it:

Exaltation is a public service.

—And I don't just mean in lore! The nature of Flight Rising is that the number of dragons increase at an exponential rate—and none of those dragons ever die. In order for the servers to not simply expire from the load, there's got to be a release valve; this is well-known and plenty discussed.

Despite this, normally I see discussions of exaltation being undertaken in one of the following ways:
  • defensive/apologetic (understandable on an emotional level)
  • aggressively UNapologetic, "my dragon, my choice" (absolutely true, and the healthier attitude long-term, imo)
  • practical and profit-minded (it is, I will be the first to admit, a great source of income!)

However, I'd love to see more FR users start to embrace exalting dragons as genuinely a public good—something to be undertaken, regardless of any other factors, as a way of doing one's part to keep the site healthy.

Personally, I have even stopped maintaining "fodder breeder pairs," because there are plenty of "fodder-priced" dragons available for sale on the AH, and my goal is to help lighten the site's load (while funding my own projects of course) ...but I wouldn't say it's necessary for anyone else to go that far, haha.

What do you think about this stance?
Have you ever thought of it this way before? If not, would thinking of it this way make you more likely to try out regularly participating in exaltation?
GG24 Cicada Confluence Signature Graphic UfHl5Xb.png

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
eh i guess, i wouldnt feel required to participate in it though there are already plenty of people exalting
eh i guess, i wouldnt feel required to participate in it though there are already plenty of people exalting
LVVfHp2.png | FR+3
| elune adore
| wishlist
| adopts
86128068.pngw7Yv8Mj.png
It's just part of the gameplay mechanics. Infinite breeding can happen because dragons can be exalted. It's how the game works. Otherwise we couldn't breed the way we do, dom wouldn't work the way it does, and we wouldn't have the amount of lair space we do. It's a net neutral, part of the structure and bones of the game. It can be used in different ways depending on how an individual wants to play. It just is.
It's just part of the gameplay mechanics. Infinite breeding can happen because dragons can be exalted. It's how the game works. Otherwise we couldn't breed the way we do, dom wouldn't work the way it does, and we wouldn't have the amount of lair space we do. It's a net neutral, part of the structure and bones of the game. It can be used in different ways depending on how an individual wants to play. It just is.
tumblr_oclgidaTBf1rnk62zo7_r1_100.png
bury the hatchet or bury a friend right now
Illustrated Monster Manual: A Spooky Art Hatchery

♥ Black Lives Matter ♥
sEBxtxA.png
x this sounds like a neat place to substitute words for political plans
if "we" are to push the power beyond then the earth you stand on venus
isnt going to be a silent rocks. The transmutation from the outside into forming "immortal" dragons well just be at the cost of a unstimulated mind which one day will go silent if trapped as the cobble stone under our feet when the future is just consuming the old into thought machines. Sadly the resources wont be rock water and air but instead brother sister n god when the only creature containing life sustaining materials are other dragons. Good look not creating life so that we dont consume more than sand.
isnt going to be a silent rocks. The transmutation from the outside into forming "immortal" dragons well just be at the cost of a unstimulated mind which one day will go silent if trapped as the cobble stone under our feet when the future is just consuming the old into thought machines. Sadly the resources wont be rock water and air but instead brother sister n god when the only creature containing life sustaining materials are other dragons. Good look not creating life so that we dont consume more than sand.
X______________________________________________
signature
[quote name="Clownface" date="2022-05-18 15:00:32" ] x this sounds like a neat place to substitute words for political plans if "we" are to push the power beyond then the earth you stand on venus isnt going to be a silent rocks. The transmutation from the outside into forming "immortal" dragons well just be at the cost of a unstimulated mind which one day will go silent if trapped as the cobble stone under our feet when the future is just consuming the old into thought machines. Sadly the resources wont be rock water and air but instead brother sister n god when the only creature containing life sustaining materials are other dragons. Good look not creating life so that we dont consume more than sand. [/quote] what the []
Clownface wrote on 2022-05-18 15:00:32:

what the []
: +3
: Yes

Discord:
Museless_
SRtoOYm.gif
FAzNnJZ.gif
[quote name="Clownface" date="2022-05-18 15:00:32" ] x this sounds like a neat place to substitute words for political plans if "we" are to push the power beyond then the earth you stand on venus isnt going to be a silent rocks. The transmutation from the outside into forming "immortal" dragons well just be at the cost of a unstimulated mind which one day will go silent if trapped as the cobble stone under our feet when the future is just consuming the old into thought machines. Sadly the resources wont be rock water and air but instead brother sister n god when the only creature containing life sustaining materials are other dragons. Good look not creating life so that we dont consume more than sand. [/quote] Yeah, what this guy said.

Yeah, what this guy said.
tumblr_oclgidaTBf1rnk62zo7_r1_100.png
bury the hatchet or bury a friend right now
Illustrated Monster Manual: A Spooky Art Hatchery

♥ Black Lives Matter ♥
sEBxtxA.png
[quote name="Clownface" date="2022-05-18 15:00:32" ] x this sounds like a neat place to substitute words for political plans if "we" are to push the power beyond then the earth you stand on venus isnt going to be a silent rocks. The transmutation from the outside into forming "immortal" dragons well just be at the cost of a unstimulated mind which one day will go silent if trapped as the cobble stone under our feet when the future is just consuming the old into thought machines. Sadly the resources wont be rock water and air but instead brother sister n god when the only creature containing life sustaining materials are other dragons. Good look not creating life so that we dont consume more than sand. [/quote] Whatever you took, you probably should use less.

Whatever you took, you probably should use less.
lf9X4H2.png
[quote name="Museless" date="2022-05-18 15:10:21" ] [quote name="Clownface" date="2022-05-18 15:00:32" ] x this sounds like a neat place to substitute words for political plans if "we" are to push the power beyond then the earth you stand on venus isnt going to be a silent rocks. The transmutation from the outside into forming "immortal" dragons well just be at the cost of a unstimulated mind which one day will go silent if trapped as the cobble stone under our feet when the future is just consuming the old into thought machines. Sadly the resources wont be rock water and air but instead brother sister n god when the only creature containing life sustaining materials are other dragons. Good look not creating life so that we dont consume more than sand. [/quote] what the [] [/quote]
Museless wrote on 2022-05-18 15:10:21:

what the []
25781.png xxxFramexxx
xMarley
They/he/she
Wishlist
x NXDDrCY.gif
[quote name="Clownface" date="2022-05-18 15:00:32" ] x this sounds like a neat place to substitute words for political plans if "we" are to push the power beyond then the earth you stand on venus isnt going to be a silent rocks. The transmutation from the outside into forming "immortal" dragons well just be at the cost of a unstimulated mind which one day will go silent if trapped as the cobble stone under our feet when the future is just consuming the old into thought machines. Sadly the resources wont be rock water and air but instead brother sister n god when the only creature containing life sustaining materials are other dragons. Good look not creating life so that we dont consume more than sand. [/quote] are you ok

are you ok
wqnTQE2.png · they/them
· intp - aquarius
· autistic
· sales tab
Exalting is a dragon sink.

It's a vital game mechanic because dragons infinitely reproduce and never die.
Exalting is a dragon sink.

It's a vital game mechanic because dragons infinitely reproduce and never die.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
1 2 3 4 5