Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Bad news about Arlo plots
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="Sorel" date="2022-02-11 06:03:45" ] [quote name="skinklegs" date="2022-02-10 22:04:44" ] [quote name="Blisster" date="2022-02-10 20:51:35" ] Aside from the illusion of agency, I don't see how getting certain desired items from Arlo is really much different from, say, the Coliseum. You choose the dig site/arena (though Arlo only has one so far) and dedicate materials/time toward hopefully getting the prize(s) you want out of a limited pool of options. You can very easily wind up with duplicates of familiars/vistas you don't need while grinding to get the ones you're still missing. In fact, I think the RNG in the Coli is worse, because at least with Arlo you're guaranteed to eventually unlock whatever you're hoping for. Granted, not everyone does the Coliseum, but the Coli is also much more labor intensive than just clicking buttons to eventually get the items you want.[/quote] the difference here is that i can sit in the coliseum for hours, days, weeks, however long it takes to get the thing i want, but with arlo i can only do so much every day with whatever tools the rng decides to give me. arlo is more frustrating for me bc there's nothing i can do to actively move toward the thing i want. that makes it all the more upsetting that it's possible for me to waste my very limited pickaxes and research notes on digging up a familiar i already have when what i [i]want[/i] is genes that i can actually use. it's also going to devalue things like familiars a lot quicker than if people had to [i]choose[/i] to dig up duplicates to sell. [/quote] also in th colisieum you get to choose what area youre grinding in. If coli was more like arlo it'd be unbearable. Imagine your trying to get Surf strider to drop. You go to the coli and are informed you have one chance to grind a venue today. When you exit out you've used your chance. also the venue is chosen at random and there is no 'cooldown' after you get stuck in each venue. if your rng luck is bad you could end up in the training fields for 5 days in a row. If coli actually worked like that we'd have riots in the proverbial dragon streets. [/quote] I don't think single plots are comparable with arenas though. Think of it this way: the loot possible to get in the Arlo Thunder Lizards "venue" includes 16 items total, and if you use Arlo every day you're guaranteed to unlock them all, with the option to use magnifying glasses to make sure you unlock the items you care about more quickly (even within a week). On the other hand, the possible loot to get in the Coli Training Fields includes [url=https://flightrising.fandom.com/wiki/Training_Fields#Possible_Loot.5B2.5D]TONS[/url] of items with no way to guarantee that you'll eventually get a certain familiar/skin/etc. you're looking for no matter how many days/weeks/months you spend grinding there, and in the meantime you'll probably end up with duplicate vistas/familiars that you don't need just like in Arlo. Not saying one is better or worse than the other, they're obviously very different site mechanics, that can each cause their own type of frustration haha. I just don't think Arlo's current system is that outrageous in comparison to other site mechanics.
Sorel wrote on 2022-02-11 06:03:45:
skinklegs wrote on 2022-02-10 22:04:44:
Blisster wrote on 2022-02-10 20:51:35:
Aside from the illusion of agency, I don't see how getting certain desired items from Arlo is really much different from, say, the Coliseum. You choose the dig site/arena (though Arlo only has one so far) and dedicate materials/time toward hopefully getting the prize(s) you want out of a limited pool of options. You can very easily wind up with duplicates of familiars/vistas you don't need while grinding to get the ones you're still missing. In fact, I think the RNG in the Coli is worse, because at least with Arlo you're guaranteed to eventually unlock whatever you're hoping for. Granted, not everyone does the Coliseum, but the Coli is also much more labor intensive than just clicking buttons to eventually get the items you want.
the difference here is that i can sit in the coliseum for hours, days, weeks, however long it takes to get the thing i want, but with arlo i can only do so much every day with whatever tools the rng decides to give me. arlo is more frustrating for me bc there's nothing i can do to actively move toward the thing i want. that makes it all the more upsetting that it's possible for me to waste my very limited pickaxes and research notes on digging up a familiar i already have when what i want is genes that i can actually use.

it's also going to devalue things like familiars a lot quicker than if people had to choose to dig up duplicates to sell.

also in th colisieum you get to choose what area youre grinding in. If coli was more like arlo it'd be unbearable. Imagine your trying to get Surf strider to drop. You go to the coli and are informed you have one chance to grind a venue today. When you exit out you've used your chance. also the venue is chosen at random and there is no 'cooldown' after you get stuck in each venue. if your rng luck is bad you could end up in the training fields for 5 days in a row. If coli actually worked like that we'd have riots in the proverbial dragon streets.

I don't think single plots are comparable with arenas though. Think of it this way: the loot possible to get in the Arlo Thunder Lizards "venue" includes 16 items total, and if you use Arlo every day you're guaranteed to unlock them all, with the option to use magnifying glasses to make sure you unlock the items you care about more quickly (even within a week). On the other hand, the possible loot to get in the Coli Training Fields includes TONS of items with no way to guarantee that you'll eventually get a certain familiar/skin/etc. you're looking for no matter how many days/weeks/months you spend grinding there, and in the meantime you'll probably end up with duplicate vistas/familiars that you don't need just like in Arlo. Not saying one is better or worse than the other, they're obviously very different site mechanics, that can each cause their own type of frustration haha. I just don't think Arlo's current system is that outrageous in comparison to other site mechanics.
iXLSa63.png
[quote name="Emberglo" date="2022-02-11 06:54:33" ] I already have this familiar and now 5 squares are dug again. It feels like such a waste! But I keep telling myself perhaps I can trade with someone for the familiars I still need... or something. But I'd rather have the option of marking a plot as finished and then open it again later. [/quote] I was going to ask if we know for certain the pickaxes can select a completed site, because twice now my pickaxes haven't touched my completed site, but I guess that was just RNG being nice to me lol
Emberglo wrote on 2022-02-11 06:54:33:
I already have this familiar and now 5 squares are dug again. It feels like such a waste! But I keep telling myself perhaps I can trade with someone for the familiars I still need... or something. But I'd rather have the option of marking a plot as finished and then open it again later.
I was going to ask if we know for certain the pickaxes can select a completed site, because twice now my pickaxes haven't touched my completed site, but I guess that was just RNG being nice to me lol
image.pnglMoMteR.pngimage.png
Yeah, I hate this so much.
Yeah, I hate this so much.
Always seeking dragons with interesting colors, Buying thread Stock the Pond! Breeding Challenge
he/him
twenties
mentally ill
about me / FAQ
clan lore
arcane flight
pings ok
FR Time +3
Fandragons tab
Pastel Goth Imperial Hatchery, Selling thread Secondhand Dragons for sale, selling thread
I quite like this feature! It means I can keep coming back to give other people the extras I don't need! Completed my first tile today, and got the Armored Iguanador!
I quite like this feature! It means I can keep coming back to give other people the extras I don't need! Completed my first tile today, and got the Armored Iguanador!
UWU whats this button do?

*Click*
[quote name="Trix" date="2022-02-11 05:44:36" ] [quote name="hat17" date="2022-02-10 18:34:42" ] [quote name="brit" date="2022-02-10 17:53:15" ] I don't understand what the big deal is because all of these "resources" that are being "wasted" are free. This isn't a limited time event, pickaxes are supposed to be random, you can use the magnifying glasses on whatever you actually want... Yeah, the design makes sense to me for an ongoing "click here for free things" feature! [/quote] You're not alone, although we're minority in this case. While I agree it 'feels' like wasting our time, but it's just as 'time consuming' as transmutation in Baldwin, a few seconds/clicks every so often. When it comes to the outcomes, it is also similar to transmutation in Baldwin - where it always gives you the wrong colour. I'll just be content in my little corner with the free stuff. [emoji=guardian happy size=2] [/quote] Sure, but Baldwin also gives you the option to turn those wrong-color transmutations into the right color. I think if Arlo did that much--the option to trade out 10 pickaxes for 1 magnifying glass or something--it would make things much better. [/quote] Not gonna argue with that! I'd love to see possible tool swapping too. Though we only got the ability to trade wrong colours after... 6 years of Baldwin, I really hope they won't take that long for it to happen in Arlo.
Trix wrote on 2022-02-11 05:44:36:
hat17 wrote on 2022-02-10 18:34:42:
brit wrote on 2022-02-10 17:53:15:
I don't understand what the big deal is because all of these "resources" that are being "wasted" are free.

This isn't a limited time event, pickaxes are supposed to be random, you can use the magnifying glasses on whatever you actually want... Yeah, the design makes sense to me for an ongoing "click here for free things" feature!
You're not alone, although we're minority in this case.

While I agree it 'feels' like wasting our time, but it's just as 'time consuming' as transmutation in Baldwin, a few seconds/clicks every so often. When it comes to the outcomes, it is also similar to transmutation in Baldwin - where it always gives you the wrong colour.

I'll just be content in my little corner with the free stuff.

Sure, but Baldwin also gives you the option to turn those wrong-color transmutations into the right color.

I think if Arlo did that much--the option to trade out 10 pickaxes for 1 magnifying glass or something--it would make things much better.
Not gonna argue with that! I'd love to see possible tool swapping too.
Though we only got the ability to trade wrong colours after... 6 years of Baldwin, I really hope they won't take that long for it to happen in Arlo.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
What needs to happen is that each plot should only be able to be completed once (and not reset) until all 16 items have been acquired. There is no need for multiple items until you've completed each plot once.
What needs to happen is that each plot should only be able to be completed once (and not reset) until all 16 items have been acquired. There is no need for multiple items until you've completed each plot once.
SunsetMagnum.jpgFjgpNYm.png1j6wDhn.pngreHWBXk.png
[quote name="Hypercoaster" date="2022-02-11 14:57:12" ] What needs to happen is that each plot should only be able to be completed once (and not reset) until all 16 items have been acquired. There is no need for multiple items until you've completed each plot once. [/quote] 100% this
Hypercoaster wrote on 2022-02-11 14:57:12:

100% this
iceflight_by_kitsunka-d8l0oi6.png
I will admit that while this does sound frustrating as a player I understand why they did it this way, otherwise everyone would just finish the feature and not touch it again until a new digsite comes out. This way items obtained are more rare, and the feature gets more lifespan. (plus players who can't dedicate time to grinding the whole thing don't get left behind as quickly) I doubt it's a perfect solution but I do understand why they did it, or it would be too easy and like an advent calendar with extra steps.

As with all things on this site it's always hard for me to tell how a feature is received. Some forum posts make it sound like players are annoyed overall, but I'd like to think there is a happy and content silent majority that is fine with the feature as-is. Oh, how one can speculate when not having the actual metrics...
I will admit that while this does sound frustrating as a player I understand why they did it this way, otherwise everyone would just finish the feature and not touch it again until a new digsite comes out. This way items obtained are more rare, and the feature gets more lifespan. (plus players who can't dedicate time to grinding the whole thing don't get left behind as quickly) I doubt it's a perfect solution but I do understand why they did it, or it would be too easy and like an advent calendar with extra steps.

As with all things on this site it's always hard for me to tell how a feature is received. Some forum posts make it sound like players are annoyed overall, but I'd like to think there is a happy and content silent majority that is fine with the feature as-is. Oh, how one can speculate when not having the actual metrics...
eP65k0J.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7