Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | now officially scared of veils
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[b][/b]It's not the staff's fault. The descriptions are actually very, very clear. But the limits of the site are such that despite the fact they are described as collective and motion-loving, I am looking at them as individuals in still poses, and the visual input is more visceral than the text input to my brain. So it's taken a while for the text input to really sink in and my brain to finally spit back the full picture of what veilspuns are really like. For starters, they have the whole cannot-look-away perfectly synchronous ribbon-dancing thing going on-- think of this [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/xUA7b382ock1rxLzFe/giphy.gif[/img] plus this [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/oYunn9uBEw0zPNYx8R/giphy.gif[/img] plus this [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/1wpxKyKAONy98ZhP9G/giphy.gif[/img] Only all over their bodies. [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/gfktFwhDvyaBEtc9US/giphy.gif[/img] Like, partially shaved afghan hounds [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/lqMdHPtckHU6n10t4Z/giphy.gif[/img] that move all together like shoals of fish [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/3o8doP6x7RNhq7wtUc/giphy.gif[/img] Only with glimpses of those shiny and bright multi-colored genes just barely briefly visible from from between the hairs so pretty much this gif of Naomi Campbell on the runway in fringe [url]https://giphy.com/gifs/naomi-campbell-1UXFMGCPVsdi2ilVua[/url] only imagine her wearing high-contrast patterned spandex underneath and not walking but dancing in perfect coordination with an entire troupe of Naomi Campbells all wearing *different* fringe and different high-contrast patterned spandex underneath and they're all [i]airborne[/i] And they like meat. And we're informed the swarms are harmless [b]until agitated.[/b] Which is the same thing as being informed that they are not harmless once agitated. At which point they turn into pretty pretty high-strung magic-wielding hyperkinetic draconian piranha. GUYS DO YOU SEE IT NOW? It's like that movie scene someone once described to me where there's a novice diver, and a beautiful, fairy-delicate little jellyfish drifts over. And it's sooo pretty! So magical. And then there's a couple more! drifting gently, glimmering tentacles in the currents, there's more, an underwater cloud kissed by light. And then it's like a starry sky of little, living, moonstone bubbles. AND THEN IT'S TOO LATE. I finally get it. This is what the story and encyclopedia do their best to describe. This is how the legends speak of the veilspun. This is how the other dergs experience them. Not as still, small individuals-- but as a phenomenon that happens to you. First, you are mesmerized, then... you are gone. Sornieth just became a much scarier place. [size=1]Plus, you know, the whole canonical [b][i]actual mind control[/i][/b] thing. Assuming the rumors of age-warping and mimicry are not true.[/size]
It's not the staff's fault.

The descriptions are actually very, very clear.

But the limits of the site are such that despite the fact they are described as collective and motion-loving, I am looking at them as individuals in still poses, and the visual input is more visceral than the text input to my brain.

So it's taken a while for the text input to really sink in and my brain to finally spit back the full picture of what veilspuns are really like.

For starters, they have the whole cannot-look-away perfectly synchronous ribbon-dancing thing going on-- think of this

giphy.gif

plus this

giphy.gif

plus this

giphy.gif

Only all over their bodies.

giphy.gif

Like, partially shaved afghan hounds

giphy.gif

that move all together like shoals of fish

giphy.gif

Only with glimpses of those shiny and bright multi-colored genes just barely briefly visible from from between the hairs
so pretty much this gif of Naomi Campbell on the runway in fringe https://giphy.com/gifs/naomi-campbell-1UXFMGCPVsdi2ilVua
only imagine her wearing high-contrast patterned spandex underneath and not walking but dancing in perfect coordination with an entire troupe of Naomi Campbells all wearing *different* fringe and different high-contrast patterned spandex underneath and they're all airborne

And they like meat.

And we're informed the swarms are harmless until agitated.
Which is the same thing as being informed that they are not harmless once agitated. At which point they turn into pretty pretty high-strung magic-wielding hyperkinetic draconian piranha.

GUYS DO YOU SEE IT NOW?

It's like that movie scene someone once described to me where there's a novice diver, and a beautiful, fairy-delicate little jellyfish drifts over. And it's sooo pretty! So magical. And then there's a couple more! drifting gently, glimmering tentacles in the currents, there's more, an underwater cloud kissed by light. And then it's like a starry sky of little, living, moonstone bubbles. AND THEN IT'S TOO LATE.

I finally get it.

This is what the story and encyclopedia do their best to describe. This is how the legends speak of the veilspun. This is how the other dergs experience them. Not as still, small individuals-- but as a phenomenon that happens to you.

First, you are mesmerized, then... you are gone.

Sornieth just became a much scarier place.

Plus, you know, the whole canonical actual mind control thing. Assuming the rumors of age-warping and mimicry are not true.
NBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gif
We Want Blep! Take Our money! We Want Blep! Take Our Money!

Please note - wonky eyes & busted hands; thanks for help & patience!
I don't like veils either, they are the least appealing dragons. In my opinion the ugliest. I just find them extremely unappealing, I don't think I will ever like them, they remind me of those japanese yo-kai woman. But like, not scary.
I don't like veils either, they are the least appealing dragons. In my opinion the ugliest. I just find them extremely unappealing, I don't think I will ever like them, they remind me of those japanese yo-kai woman. But like, not scary.
uUgmcVV.pngziaHkPk.pngdOhe5j4.png Lemon He/him Open nest
I hope Veils are smaller than Fae, because that'd just be funny. An agitated ball of hair trying to attack an Imperial over 20 times its size.
I hope Veils are smaller than Fae, because that'd just be funny. An agitated ball of hair trying to attack an Imperial over 20 times its size.
Flight Rep Time:

Lightning|Water|Plague|Wind

Or browse some Old Oaks for sale?
[quote name="Hol" date="2020-12-13 06:56:06" ] I hope Veils are smaller than Fae, because that'd just be funny. An agitated ball of hair trying to attack an Imperial over 20 times its size. [/quote] Funny as stepping in a hornet's nest.
Hol wrote on 2020-12-13 06:56:06:

Funny as stepping in a hornet's nest.

[img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C4J993/car-wash-carwash-automatic-machine-brush-brushes-rotary-revolving-C4J993.jpg[/img]
car-wash-carwash-automatic-machine-brush-brushes-rotary-revolving-C4J993.jpg
Listen, I would have posted something half-thoughtful in this thread but all I can think of when I look at the first gif is "dancing trees"
Listen, I would have posted something half-thoughtful in this thread but all I can think of when I look at the first gif is "dancing trees"
aSAtN3z.png xxx
Quit reading my signature, nerd.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
He/him

Previously Neuromancer

Wishlist
[quote name="Hol" date="2020-12-13 06:56:06" ] I hope Veils are smaller than Fae, because that'd just be funny. An agitated ball of hair trying to attack an Imperial over 20 times its size. [/quote] Except it's not one. It's hundreds. Have you ever tried to smack a bug that's behind your head? Imagine that, except they literally eat you. Skeletons left standing in the exact positions they were when the veilspuns found them, now held up by the twisting brambles.
Except it's not one. It's hundreds. Have you ever tried to smack a bug that's behind your head? Imagine that, except they literally eat you. Skeletons left standing in the exact positions they were when the veilspuns found them, now held up by the twisting brambles.
wq9PoXA.png
[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2020-12-13 07:30:34" ] [quote name="Hol" date="2020-12-13 06:56:06" ] I hope Veils are smaller than Fae, because that'd just be funny. An agitated ball of hair trying to attack an Imperial over 20 times its size. [/quote] Except it's not one. It's hundreds. Have you ever tried to smack a bug that's behind your head? Imagine that, except they literally eat you. Skeletons left standing in the exact positions they were when the veilspuns found them, now held up by the twisting brambles. [/quote] This. (And you can't even smack that one bug-- because if you try to focus to aim at just one all you are likely to hit is the swirling hair.)
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2020-12-13 07:30:34:
Except it's not one. It's hundreds. Have you ever tried to smack a bug that's behind your head? Imagine that, except they literally eat you. Skeletons left standing in the exact positions they were when the veilspuns found them, now held up by the twisting brambles.

This.

(And you can't even smack that one bug-- because if you try to focus to aim at just one all you are likely to hit is the swirling hair.)

[quote name="BlueJaysFeather" date="2020-12-13 07:30:34" ] [quote name="Hol" date="2020-12-13 06:56:06" ] I hope Veils are smaller than Fae, because that'd just be funny. An agitated ball of hair trying to attack an Imperial over 20 times its size. [/quote] Except it's not one. It's hundreds. Have you ever tried to smack a bug that's behind your head? Imagine that, except they literally eat you. Skeletons left standing in the exact positions they were when the veilspuns found them, now held up by the twisting brambles. [/quote] Yes, and still Imperials are gigantic compared to something smaller than a Fae. I'm picturing them as essentially lice, and Imps scratching a lot because they accidentally ran into a Veil swarm. They'd be more of a nuisance to Imps but a real problem for Fae.
BlueJaysFeather wrote on 2020-12-13 07:30:34:

Yes, and still Imperials are gigantic compared to something smaller than a Fae. I'm picturing them as essentially lice, and Imps scratching a lot because they accidentally ran into a Veil swarm.

They'd be more of a nuisance to Imps but a real problem for Fae.
Flight Rep Time:

Lightning|Water|Plague|Wind

Or browse some Old Oaks for sale?
So they're like the tooth fairies from Hellboy 2?
GREAT! I love those little critters! 8D

Nope, not scared. It says "if agitated", just don't agitate them you dummies B)
So they're like the tooth fairies from Hellboy 2?
GREAT! I love those little critters! 8D

Nope, not scared. It says "if agitated", just don't agitate them you dummies B)
If you have a chartreuse/cottoncandy xxy to sell, dm me!

Check out my Deviantart if you'd like :3
1 2 3 4 5 6 7