Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | I'll never see Gaolers the same again.
1 2 3 4 5 6
The amount of people who have never seen the word "gaol" before greatly surprises me.
The amount of people who have never seen the word "gaol" before greatly surprises me.
td9UiZS.png
[quote name="Ern" date="2020-05-27 07:32:47" ] The amount of people who have never seen the word "gaol" before greatly surprises me. [/quote] sorry gaol is a word??
Ern wrote on 2020-05-27 07:32:47:
sorry gaol is a word??
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
Sorry, but I watched Wicked far earlier than I encountered the word, so it will forever be "With a GAH" for no reason at all other than, that's what pops into my head every single time.
Sorry, but I watched Wicked far earlier than I encountered the word, so it will forever be "With a GAH" for no reason at all other than, that's what pops into my head every single time.
Y3kY2LN.png
these threads are the new fae neck thing, i'm tellin' ya
these threads are the new fae neck thing, i'm tellin' ya
[quote name="DilsDoes" date="2020-05-27 07:38:13" ] [quote name="Ern" date="2020-05-27 07:32:47" ] The amount of people who have never seen the word "gaol" before greatly surprises me. [/quote] sorry gaol is a word?? [/quote] It's an alternate spelling for "jail." You're most likely to see it in Australia and elsewhere it's considered dated.
DilsDoes wrote on 2020-05-27 07:38:13:
sorry gaol is a word??
It's an alternate spelling for "jail." You're most likely to see it in Australia and elsewhere it's considered dated.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
[quote name="DilsDoes" date="2020-05-27 07:38:13" ] [quote name="Ern" date="2020-05-27 07:32:47" ] The amount of people who have never seen the word "gaol" before greatly surprises me. [/quote] sorry gaol is a word?? [/quote] Yeps, its "proper English" for Jail. However its a less modern word these days and Jail has mostly replaced it in common conversation. You'd be more likely to encounter it now in older books, books aiming to appear older or referencing an older time and legal documents and the like.
DilsDoes wrote on 2020-05-27 07:38:13:
sorry gaol is a word??

Yeps, its "proper English" for Jail. However its a less modern word these days and Jail has mostly replaced it in common conversation. You'd be more likely to encounter it now in older books, books aiming to appear older or referencing an older time and legal documents and the like.
The Great Library
Come share your favourite books and find some more to read!
i've given up completely on remembering their pronunciation and i just call them fluffy ancients now.
i've given up completely on remembering their pronunciation and i just call them fluffy ancients now.
DmRdZYl.png
[quote name="Ern" date="2020-05-27 07:32:47" ] The amount of people who have never seen the word "gaol" before greatly surprises me. [/quote] This. ^ If you read older literature uncommon words pop up a lot more than recent offerings I've found, it's a shame; makes language more colourful imo. :v

This. ^
If you read older literature uncommon words pop up a lot more than recent offerings I've found, it's a shame; makes language more colourful imo. :v
A stick of yellow butter with blue butterfly wings. At by MythicalViper!xCmYhaC.pngMA3bre1.png
[quote name="coyoterodeo" date="2020-05-27 05:58:55" ] i know it's pronounced 'jailer' but they will always be gowlers in my head i'm sorry [/quote] i physically pronounce them correctly but its just faster in my brain to accept an incorrect pronunciation than try to fix it...
coyoterodeo wrote on 2020-05-27 05:58:55:
i know it's pronounced 'jailer' but they will always be gowlers in my head i'm sorry
i physically pronounce them correctly but its just faster in my brain to accept an incorrect pronunciation than try to fix it...
29370123p.png172210p.pnghd_onoff.giftumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo2_75sq.pngtumblr_onrm58iiVh1w2095jo1_75sq.png
[quote name="Lameforgers" date="2020-05-27 06:16:46" ] They're called Jailers because icewarden locked them up in gay baby jail [/quote] gaolor origin story [img]https://i.imgur.com/qWDQyei.png[/img]
Lameforgers wrote on 2020-05-27 06:16:46:
They're called Jailers because icewarden locked them up in gay baby jail
gaolor origin story

qWDQyei.png
Fishes ____ she/her | +3 FR time | wishlist | avatar
ra01-icon-goldfish.gif s02-icon-whale.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6