Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Is the wendigo disrespectful?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
I'm concerned that this will start a trend of people demanding harmless on-site things to be changed because it's inspired by a real world culture in some way, but if the wendigo was such a big problem to begin with, why did it take the staff years to acknowledge and change it? I think people, myself included, would have accepted the change better if they'd done it sooner.
I'm concerned that this will start a trend of people demanding harmless on-site things to be changed because it's inspired by a real world culture in some way, but if the wendigo was such a big problem to begin with, why did it take the staff years to acknowledge and change it? I think people, myself included, would have accepted the change better if they'd done it sooner.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
[quote name="Midorikage" date="2019-07-09 06:31:08" ] Agreeing with the others above me, I seriously hope this doesn't become a trend, I really, REALLY hate censorship based on religion(and religion as a whole tbh) Also... this is a scary precedent, ok skins and items have been changed, but what about dragons with the name? Are they going to get renamed too? Because I'm not changing the name of my custom progen. Oh and [quote name="Xionahri" date="2019-07-09 06:30:12" ] [quote name="VashTheStampede" date="2019-07-09 06:26:59" ] So, how long will it take for other people to start complaining and demanding the kitsunes and other things based on real world mythologies to be changed? [/quote] ...Which would include dragons themselves. I mean, many religions, both ancient and current, have had dragon imagery. [/quote] I've seen someone on that thread saying they should rename coatls.... a whole dragon breed [/quote] I've seen people on the internet bash others that tweaked kitsune for their own story, changing their design and etc. Pretty sure FR will also be a target
Midorikage wrote on 2019-07-09 06:31:08:
Agreeing with the others above me, I seriously hope this doesn't become a trend, I really, REALLY hate censorship based on religion(and religion as a whole tbh)

Also... this is a scary precedent, ok skins and items have been changed, but what about dragons with the name? Are they going to get renamed too? Because I'm not changing the name of my custom progen.

Oh and
Xionahri wrote on 2019-07-09 06:30:12:
VashTheStampede wrote on 2019-07-09 06:26:59:
So, how long will it take for other people to start complaining and demanding the kitsunes and other things based on real world mythologies to be changed?

...Which would include dragons themselves. I mean, many religions, both ancient and current, have had dragon imagery.
I've seen someone on that thread saying they should rename coatls.... a whole dragon breed

I've seen people on the internet bash others that tweaked kitsune for their own story, changing their design and etc.
Pretty sure FR will also be a target
sig-1-new.pngdivider-up.png
-V e r i d i s Q u o-
kovske.gif
Brazil | EN/PT/RUS |time-flight-icon-very-tiny.png

» Fake FR Breed Workshop
»
Wishlist
»PWYW ART SHOP
»Clan Lore WIP
divider-up.png
48517330.png

Synesthetic - Artist - Style flexible
• They/Them - He/Him/It • Prev. Solifugespace
small-hourglass.png
[quote name="Xela" date="2019-07-09 06:58:18" ] I'm concerned that this will start a trend of people demanding harmless on-site things to be changed because it's inspired by a real world culture in some way, but if the wendigo was such a big problem to begin with, why did it take the staff years to acknowledge and change it? I think people, myself included, would have accepted the change better if they'd done it sooner. [/quote] It takes time to listen to peoples' concerns, to make a decision, to understand points of view and reasons. I see this as a "better late than never" thing. The issue with the wendigo was [i]not[/i] the fact that it was borrowed from another culture at all, rather the fact that the name/imagery was borrowed without a deep understanding and respect for the original legend. If names/creatures are used here in a way that is respectful and accurate to the culture they come from, there should be no problem. People requested that the name was changed for the sake of respect. There were no demands.
Xela wrote on 2019-07-09 06:58:18:
It takes time to listen to peoples' concerns, to make a decision, to understand points of view and reasons. I see this as a "better late than never" thing. The issue with the wendigo was not the fact that it was borrowed from another culture at all, rather the fact that the name/imagery was borrowed without a deep understanding and respect for the original legend. If names/creatures are used here in a way that is respectful and accurate to the culture they come from, there should be no problem.

People requested that the name was changed for the sake of respect. There were no demands.
tumblr_pvk94uYqSJ1tq8ghao5_500.png
Pool/Neen • She/Her • Avatar
The only opinions that matters are the one from algonquian community - it's their culture, something sacred to them. It's a harmless change that doesn't harm you.

It's not like it's the first time - the Serthis were renamed for similar reasons.

The only opinions that matters are the one from algonquian community - it's their culture, something sacred to them. It's a harmless change that doesn't harm you.

It's not like it's the first time - the Serthis were renamed for similar reasons.

[quote name="Pool" date="2019-07-09 06:52:35" ] I wholeheartedly welcome the name change on FR's part. As a company running a sort of a business, the terminology they use and the actions they take regarding their site set up a precedent for the image of the entire company and its staff. I love that they've taken these respectful measures, listened to their userbase and embraced sensitivity towards a culture that needs this kind of discretion. [/quote] I support the name change, and I'm proud of FR for doing it. Native peoples' cultures have been destroyed and/or appropriated for centuries. It's only right to respect their strong feelings about this.
Pool wrote on 2019-07-09 06:52:35:
I wholeheartedly welcome the name change on FR's part. As a company running a sort of a business, the terminology they use and the actions they take regarding their site set up a precedent for the image of the entire company and its staff. I love that they've taken these respectful measures, listened to their userbase and embraced sensitivity towards a culture that needs this kind of discretion.

I support the name change, and I'm proud of FR for doing it. Native peoples' cultures have been destroyed and/or appropriated for centuries. It's only right to respect their strong feelings about this.

MmSftql.png
[quote name="ahzidal" date="2019-07-09 06:37:40" ] @/Pool 's got it on point. That's where I was trying to go. In America, natives belong in the most oppressed category, because America basically tried to erase their entire existence. Taking a figure from their culture and not representing it correctly really doesn't help. [/quote] This also
ahzidal wrote on 2019-07-09 06:37:40:
@/Pool 's got it on point. That's where I was trying to go. In America, natives belong in the most oppressed category, because America basically tried to erase their entire existence. Taking a figure from their culture and not representing it correctly really doesn't help.

This also
sig-1-new.pngdivider-up.png
-V e r i d i s Q u o-
kovske.gif
Brazil | EN/PT/RUS |time-flight-icon-very-tiny.png

» Fake FR Breed Workshop
»
Wishlist
»PWYW ART SHOP
»Clan Lore WIP
divider-up.png
48517330.png

Synesthetic - Artist - Style flexible
• They/Them - He/Him/It • Prev. Solifugespace
small-hourglass.png
[quote name="@Corviknight" date="2019-07-09 07:01:20" ] It's not like it's the first time - the Serthis were renamed for similar reasons. [/quote] If you don't mind me asking, what were they originally called?
@Corviknight wrote on 2019-07-09 07:01:20:

If you don't mind me asking, what were they originally called?
Bast
She/her
Was Bast6415
54149505.png be a chad dragon enjoyer. yes im begging for likes wyd
Okay, but you also can’t erase somebody’s opinion on a name change because you feel it never impacted them. I don’t care either way about this because I’m not a huge fan of familiars? On a moral standpoint I find it fascinating that it took this long or that anything is even happening about it. But that being said, I think I might be a tad bit upset if they start banning names in general that a minority deem as cultural appropriation. Not to say I really believe in slippery slope theories... I find them a bit ridiculous, but somewhat understandably grounded. Things do get taken to extremes. You never know the race or culture of a person behind a screen. And what if it does become a trend? I doubt it tbh because it seems like most of these issues are ignored for a long time or never even noticed under a pile of other issues. But still, an opinion is an opinion.
Okay, but you also can’t erase somebody’s opinion on a name change because you feel it never impacted them. I don’t care either way about this because I’m not a huge fan of familiars? On a moral standpoint I find it fascinating that it took this long or that anything is even happening about it. But that being said, I think I might be a tad bit upset if they start banning names in general that a minority deem as cultural appropriation. Not to say I really believe in slippery slope theories... I find them a bit ridiculous, but somewhat understandably grounded. Things do get taken to extremes. You never know the race or culture of a person behind a screen. And what if it does become a trend? I doubt it tbh because it seems like most of these issues are ignored for a long time or never even noticed under a pile of other issues. But still, an opinion is an opinion.
thumbnail-1.pngthumbnail.pngthumbnail-2.png
[quote name="@Bast6415" date="2019-07-09 07:06:38" ] [quote name="@/Corviknight" date="2019-07-09 07:01:20" ] It's not like it's the first time - the Serthis were renamed for similar reasons. [/quote] If you don't mind me asking, what were they originally called? [/quote] They were called Naga, and then Lamia, and finally Serthis
@Bast6415 wrote on 2019-07-09 07:06:38:
@/Corviknight wrote on 2019-07-09 07:01:20:

If you don't mind me asking, what were they originally called?
They were called Naga, and then Lamia, and finally Serthis
jC0MHtC.png zYK7yAB.gif
Jacob
male pronouns pls

interests:
captain harlock, genshin impact,
zelda, space battleship yamato,
star trek, stargate, mlp, lotr
xx CnNBdW0.png
No. There's tons and tons of mythological creatures that are used by every single media out there, and they're almost never portrayed as completely accurate. I absolutely don't agree with this change at all, it's just pandering, and it's a terrible precedent to set. Why don't we change all of the mythology on this site? Are the Kamiatachis and Kitsunes going to be offensive now too? I mean, come ON, imps are literally Chinese dragons, a very sacred creature for them. Making something so sacred turn into unwanted abominations is SURELY offensive, right?

Guess by that logic we're going to have to delete an entire breed, bye imps, it was nice knowing you!

I was gonna make a thread on this, but then I saw yours lol.
No. There's tons and tons of mythological creatures that are used by every single media out there, and they're almost never portrayed as completely accurate. I absolutely don't agree with this change at all, it's just pandering, and it's a terrible precedent to set. Why don't we change all of the mythology on this site? Are the Kamiatachis and Kitsunes going to be offensive now too? I mean, come ON, imps are literally Chinese dragons, a very sacred creature for them. Making something so sacred turn into unwanted abominations is SURELY offensive, right?

Guess by that logic we're going to have to delete an entire breed, bye imps, it was nice knowing you!

I was gonna make a thread on this, but then I saw yours lol.
tumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_75sq.gif
> +3 FR
>She/Her
>Stuck in G1 Hell
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12