Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Females and Males
1 2 3
I use "Drake" for male and "Dragoness" for female.
I use "Drake" for male and "Dragoness" for female.
VGxuHXT.png
I call both females and males "dragons," but when I was little I used to think that "drake" meant a male dragon lol. (Maybe because male ducks are called drakes?) So if I ever feel the need to use different words for the different genders, I'll probably say "drake" (male) and "dragon" (female).
I call both females and males "dragons," but when I was little I used to think that "drake" meant a male dragon lol. (Maybe because male ducks are called drakes?) So if I ever feel the need to use different words for the different genders, I'll probably say "drake" (male) and "dragon" (female).
Please help me raise my Dragon Cave hatchlings and hatch my eggs by viewing and clicking on them. :D (A big thank you to everyone who has already helped!)
[quote name="TheClassCalico" date="2019-04-17 08:00:08" ] I use "dragon" and "dragonness" to distinguish the genders for lore purposes. [/quote] I also use Dragonet/hatchling when talking about a baby dragon.
TheClassCalico wrote on 2019-04-17 08:00:08:
I use "dragon" and "dragonness" to distinguish the genders for lore purposes.
I also use Dragonet/hatchling when talking about a baby dragon.
8pUXRV3.pngEypKCgu.png5aTXnyW.pngE4TsE7N.png
tn0RSo5.pngMUYNhfy.png
Should be drake and drakaina if you're going by the Anglicization of the Greek. But no one does.

I just use dragon for both.
Should be drake and drakaina if you're going by the Anglicization of the Greek. But no one does.

I just use dragon for both.
Silver Pocketwatch Copper Pocketwatch
I steal terminology from other animals, mainly birds, so males are sires (breeding term), drakes (male duck), or tiercels (male hawk). Females are dams/queens (breeding term), or hawkes (female hawk).
I steal terminology from other animals, mainly birds, so males are sires (breeding term), drakes (male duck), or tiercels (male hawk). Females are dams/queens (breeding term), or hawkes (female hawk).
angy.png FR time +3
they/them
Water Dom Org
...............................water-swon.png
[quote name="TheClassCalico" date="2019-04-17 08:00:08" ] I use "dragon" and "dragonness" to distinguish the genders for lore purposes. [/quote]
TheClassCalico wrote on 2019-04-17 08:00:08:
I use "dragon" and "dragonness" to distinguish the genders for lore purposes.
e6rKuT7.png
zephyrus · he/they · frt + 0

im autistic, so my tone come off as
more aggressive than i mean to be ^^;
I don’t use different words for male/female. In all of my writing, they’re just dragons. Most of the alternative words based on gender feel a bit stilted and unnatural to me, personally?
I don’t use different words for male/female. In all of my writing, they’re just dragons. Most of the alternative words based on gender feel a bit stilted and unnatural to me, personally?
2db8adadca3ef8633cbd21fe5b445b5d349eabdb.png
dragoness and dragon
dragoness and dragon
cowfish.gif
Personally, I feel using gendered words (particularly tacking -ess onto any given word) outside of male/female and gendered pronouns just feels awkward, especially when applied to sapient non-humans, and even more so when those sapient non-humans aren't humanoid to begin with.

If I did, though, I'd probably crib from the Age of Fire series and use drake/drakka to refer to male/female dragons, since they're two of the few terms used from a draconic POV that (imo) make sense, since they don't just other one gender.
Personally, I feel using gendered words (particularly tacking -ess onto any given word) outside of male/female and gendered pronouns just feels awkward, especially when applied to sapient non-humans, and even more so when those sapient non-humans aren't humanoid to begin with.

If I did, though, I'd probably crib from the Age of Fire series and use drake/drakka to refer to male/female dragons, since they're two of the few terms used from a draconic POV that (imo) make sense, since they don't just other one gender.
I just use dragon for both. But I think I have a few fancy females I regard as dragonesses. Not in their lore but in my head.
I just use dragon for both. But I think I have a few fancy females I regard as dragonesses. Not in their lore but in my head.
Eco1dmi.png Egg Art Shop

Skin shop

Art Shop
1 2 3