Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What are our Faes REALLY feeling?
1 2
wow, they are permanently scared and mad. Poor fae children
wow, they are permanently scared and mad. Poor fae children
+2 FR time
he/they
I overthought this a lot after reading your post, and ultimately, my conclusion is "happy but slightly annoyed* or something altogether different" and "startled by a loud sound**," though I think the simplest explanation is that the art existed long before crest language.

* The male pose doesn't curve the left fin down and inwards the way the emoji does and it's a much slighter angle. Which could actually also be that we're seeing it move forward rather than downward, making it a new emotion that might have nothing to do with anger.

** I had two immediate thoughts here. The first is that the emoji reads to me as a threat display, that thing that some animals do when cornered by a predator to make themselves look large and threatening. The female fae pose… does not read as that to me at all, but you're right that it's the closest match. Her fins definitely look very tense in a way the male fae pose doesn't— very alert.

The second was that the "artistic interpretation" version of Pipp has pretty much the same crest positions as the female fae pose, which is mostly just kind of a hilarious note because in-universe it had to have been drawn by someone who just did not understand fae at all. And both Swipp and Tripp are closest to sleepy, with their back crests down and their front crests on an even level.

But in a non-overthinking it way, honestly, I think it's just that the art was drawn at different times, probably by different people, and the crest language wasn't formalized until now. But you're right, it's tremendous fun to speculate. :D
I overthought this a lot after reading your post, and ultimately, my conclusion is "happy but slightly annoyed* or something altogether different" and "startled by a loud sound**," though I think the simplest explanation is that the art existed long before crest language.

* The male pose doesn't curve the left fin down and inwards the way the emoji does and it's a much slighter angle. Which could actually also be that we're seeing it move forward rather than downward, making it a new emotion that might have nothing to do with anger.

** I had two immediate thoughts here. The first is that the emoji reads to me as a threat display, that thing that some animals do when cornered by a predator to make themselves look large and threatening. The female fae pose… does not read as that to me at all, but you're right that it's the closest match. Her fins definitely look very tense in a way the male fae pose doesn't— very alert.

The second was that the "artistic interpretation" version of Pipp has pretty much the same crest positions as the female fae pose, which is mostly just kind of a hilarious note because in-universe it had to have been drawn by someone who just did not understand fae at all. And both Swipp and Tripp are closest to sleepy, with their back crests down and their front crests on an even level.

But in a non-overthinking it way, honestly, I think it's just that the art was drawn at different times, probably by different people, and the crest language wasn't formalized until now. But you're right, it's tremendous fun to speculate. :D
1 2