Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Do dragons have dialects?
1 2 3
[quote name="Overread" date="2018-04-06 16:09:03" ] [quote name="MagicSpyglass" date="2018-04-06 16:05:50" ] Honestly, I think that Arcane's accent would be kind of formal, just like light, but with a quicker tone, since we tend to be more.. enthusiastic. [/quote] It would either be formal or it would be a rambling confusing chaotic babbling of words inter-spaced with suitable phrases such as "Great Scot!" [/quote] Yeah, exactly! So, my dragons speech would be something like this: "Hello my dearist oni, how well are thy doing today?" "OHMYGODLIKEIJUSTFOUGHTABUNCHOFGUYS AND HOLY MACARIONI I-" Yeah, I believe that my arcane dragons have difference accents depending on where they were born. I actually have some other ideas about accents. Plauge dragons have "rougher" voices, and they go straight to the point. Lightning dragons have booming voices such like their boss. I also imagine Shadow dragons having a.. flair to their voices. No idea how to describe it.
Overread wrote on 2018-04-06 16:09:03:
MagicSpyglass wrote on 2018-04-06 16:05:50:
Honestly, I think that Arcane's accent would be kind of formal, just like light, but with a quicker tone, since we tend to be more.. enthusiastic.

It would either be formal or it would be a rambling confusing chaotic babbling of words inter-spaced with suitable phrases such as "Great Scot!"

Yeah, exactly!

So, my dragons speech would be something like this:

"Hello my dearist oni, how well are thy doing today?" "OHMYGODLIKEIJUSTFOUGHTABUNCHOFGUYS AND HOLY MACARIONI I-"

Yeah, I believe that my arcane dragons have difference accents depending on where they were born.

I actually have some other ideas about accents.

Plauge dragons have "rougher" voices, and they go straight to the point.

Lightning dragons have booming voices such like their boss.

I also imagine Shadow dragons having a.. flair to their voices. No idea how to describe it.
OwO
I'd say -from a very biased point of view- that wind dragons have a melodic tune to their dialect. They are artist after all?

Also, I feel Ice dragons would have little inflection, though of course, not nearly as monotone (can something be half monotone??) as faespeech.

Lightning speak loud and fast, in order to convey as much information as efficiently and effectively as possible, thus improving productivity

Maybe Water speak in hushed, uncertain tones? The way they would tell prophesies, to make them more mysterious and all

Fire southern accent confirmed. All hail Haemil!
I'd say -from a very biased point of view- that wind dragons have a melodic tune to their dialect. They are artist after all?

Also, I feel Ice dragons would have little inflection, though of course, not nearly as monotone (can something be half monotone??) as faespeech.

Lightning speak loud and fast, in order to convey as much information as efficiently and effectively as possible, thus improving productivity

Maybe Water speak in hushed, uncertain tones? The way they would tell prophesies, to make them more mysterious and all

dialects definitely makes alotta sense but i wouldnt imagine them being too differing, as theres craploads of lair with craploads of dergs from every element. they do take on the region's dialect after a hwile but initially they would have their own right? [quote name="Araucaria" date="2018-04-06 16:26:36" ] Fire southern accent confirmed. [s]All hail Haemil![/s] [/quote] oh wait right this lore entry pretty much confirms that this is canon so
dialects definitely makes alotta sense but i wouldnt imagine them being too differing, as theres craploads of lair with craploads of dergs from every element. they do take on the region's dialect after a hwile but initially they would have their own right?
Araucaria wrote on 2018-04-06 16:26:36:
oh wait right this lore entry pretty much confirms that this is canon so
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Dragons might not speak like their flights though.

Lightning might not boom and bluster, but could be quite quiet and reserved. Rejoicing in the period of quite before the boom of the lightning drowns out all other sound. If you can't compete with the sound then a hushed silence and quiet voice makes those around listen more intently.
Dragons might not speak like their flights though.

Lightning might not boom and bluster, but could be quite quiet and reserved. Rejoicing in the period of quite before the boom of the lightning drowns out all other sound. If you can't compete with the sound then a hushed silence and quiet voice makes those around listen more intently.
The Great Library
Come share your favourite books and find some more to read!
I feel ice dragons, being the most 'unempathetic' dragons, have colder, almost unimpressed voices. They speak analytically, almost monotone like a fae, unmoved or wavered by things other dragons may be surprised at. they have an 'authoritative' tone, strong and powerful, yet hearing them speak feels like somethings piercing through your chest
I feel ice dragons, being the most 'unempathetic' dragons, have colder, almost unimpressed voices. They speak analytically, almost monotone like a fae, unmoved or wavered by things other dragons may be surprised at. they have an 'authoritative' tone, strong and powerful, yet hearing them speak feels like somethings piercing through your chest
g2TOb2t.png

°howdy pardner
@magicspyglass

I imagine Shadows being mainly formal as well, but also quite direct, like a mix of Light and Plague.

I also imagine them using a lot of gaming language, ranging from terms from chess to the common trading card game. So while dragons from more scholarly or game loving factions like Wind or Arcane would understand what they were saying fairly well, dragons from more militaristic or such factions like Ice and Lightning would be really confused.
@magicspyglass

I imagine Shadows being mainly formal as well, but also quite direct, like a mix of Light and Plague.

I also imagine them using a lot of gaming language, ranging from terms from chess to the common trading card game. So while dragons from more scholarly or game loving factions like Wind or Arcane would understand what they were saying fairly well, dragons from more militaristic or such factions like Ice and Lightning would be really confused.
000000000000000dragonsnake.gif
Cis/She/They
rollover at 3:00 AM for me
On mobile often
Mostly inactive

Olifoli.gif
Certain Ice flight clans having something similar to Russian accents...mmm
Certain Ice flight clans having something similar to Russian accents...mmm
tumblr_papfgyiEtt1vvc1jno3_500.png
From what i saw i'm pretty sure the Water accent is just a whale load of puns, i mean wat(er) else cod it be

i lack training in pun language
From what i saw i'm pretty sure the Water accent is just a whale load of puns, i mean wat(er) else cod it be

i lack training in pun language
JK2kbaU.png
dragoncapitalismatitsfinest.gif
I think Wind dragons have really thick accents because they travel so much, so it's quite hard for other dragons to understand them, though they are fluent in all dialects, including coatl.
I think Wind dragons have really thick accents because they travel so much, so it's quite hard for other dragons to understand them, though they are fluent in all dialects, including coatl.
:D
I accidentally headcanonned Plague dragons as having thick Australian-ish accents. I say "accidentally" because I was jokingly comparing the Scarred Wasteland to Australia due to the "everything in Australia is constantly trying to kill you" meme and from then on whenever I wrote or imagined dialogue for my dragons, I noticed that my brain had decided that my Plague dragons all had Australian accents and I didn't even plan it that way. Then shortly afterwards Plague had a Mad Max: Fury Road themed dom battle and that solidified the "Plague dragons speak with thick Australian accents" headcanon. Now it's hard for me to imagine a Plague dragon with any other accent besides Australian.
I accidentally headcanonned Plague dragons as having thick Australian-ish accents. I say "accidentally" because I was jokingly comparing the Scarred Wasteland to Australia due to the "everything in Australia is constantly trying to kill you" meme and from then on whenever I wrote or imagined dialogue for my dragons, I noticed that my brain had decided that my Plague dragons all had Australian accents and I didn't even plan it that way. Then shortly afterwards Plague had a Mad Max: Fury Road themed dom battle and that solidified the "Plague dragons speak with thick Australian accents" headcanon. Now it's hard for me to imagine a Plague dragon with any other accent besides Australian.
MUYNhfy.png
VPnffeY.png
Achillean (NB Achillean flag)
rix3ppo.png
WKtl2lb.png
J7D1quC.png
l4bF82r.pngR9wtXaf.pngiZMfJug.pngwE8InSj.pngBjG9OOU.pnga6YPmbH.gif47CqiMq.gif
ASbXVY4.png
bYt72YT.png
tqGkHih.png
4SE4T9N.png
KrIo0N3.png