Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How big are the territories? Answer: BIG
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
everything about this is excellent. so much lore possibility... thank you again for taking on this project, @Whim ! (and do you plan on doing every flight's domain? i'm love to see the size of the beacon)
everything about this is excellent. so much lore possibility... thank you again for taking on this project, @Whim ! (and do you plan on doing every flight's domain? i'm love to see the size of the beacon)
HO7jGPA.png Kookaburra
on Pixpets

4832_1e9d4aab6ad6e40e_I.gif11047_f99b7458f856f2a5_I.gif3926_9be993f525c9c6e9_I.gif17800_2c92a7469c1b3278_I.gif3175_d07d5c3f5cbab53c_I.gif5875_5d1f8496eb6f2897_I.gif8457_4ac4f4ab6c0f9d95_I.gif9030_380187e4ad587cc8_I.gif8066_f262055000960407_I.gif9152_6633c512e23795d8_I.gif
@whim
I think I recall the Q&A saying Sornieth is 3x bigger than Earth?

So math: Earth has 196.9 million mi², which means Sornieth has 590.7 million mi².

Let's say each region has approximately the same area, and that open ocean (not water territory) has 3x as much area as one region. So I'm splitting the area of the planet by 14.

So by those calculations, each Flight has approx. 42 million mi², and open ocean has 126 million mi².

"The total land surface area of Earth is about 57 million mi²".

Each Flight has almost the same land area as all of Earth's habitable land.
@whim
I think I recall the Q&A saying Sornieth is 3x bigger than Earth?

So math: Earth has 196.9 million mi², which means Sornieth has 590.7 million mi².

Let's say each region has approximately the same area, and that open ocean (not water territory) has 3x as much area as one region. So I'm splitting the area of the planet by 14.

So by those calculations, each Flight has approx. 42 million mi², and open ocean has 126 million mi².

Each Flight has almost the same land area as all of Earth's habitable land.
H0YTYF1.png CAgQpkV.png 7p4ZvEX.png TX13MWN.png
holy s hit 0-0
holy s hit 0-0

@Kookaburra

I think I will eventually, being that I already know what I need to do to figure out what I need to know, I just need to change a few numbers for each flight and edit picture comparisons.

@Kookaburra

I think I will eventually, being that I already know what I need to do to figure out what I need to know, I just need to change a few numbers for each flight and edit picture comparisons.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhIHd9PNx.gif
pop-up art shop

she/her
FR +3
Don't forget that dragons are FAR FAR larger than humans and won't ever have a speed of said humans. Also most land animals on Earth can outrun a human so I don't think a human's speed is a fair indicator.
Don't forget that dragons are FAR FAR larger than humans and won't ever have a speed of said humans. Also most land animals on Earth can outrun a human so I don't think a human's speed is a fair indicator.
Y3kY2LN.png
This thread made me fear trees and love word problems.
This thread made me fear trees and love word problems.
9ZmzY.gif
And this is why my captain Neivia managed to crash her ship into that monster and not destroy the tree.
And this is why my captain Neivia managed to crash her ship into that monster and not destroy the tree.
w o w
w o w
Accent Shop

Doodle Shop
soudasig_by_eggdis-dbau8f2.png
I swear I could remember that the Behemoth grew on the Gladekeeper's back or something like that

Because if it is then
w o a h
I swear I could remember that the Behemoth grew on the Gladekeeper's back or something like that

Because if it is then
w o a h
xt3ZxDa.png
Pgv53XB.png
AaYNmEX.png
yPlj8ew.png
BAYHRHf.png
jUf1dMI.png edited-sig.png
@whim

I kept thinking about what you said about not being able to determine ideal territory sizes, which led to me staying up last night doing a buttload of math that didn't pan out in the end. (I was trying to calculate the minimum amount of acreage each dragon needs to fulfill their daily calorie needs, but after I got to the end of the calculations I realized there were a bunch of factors I couldn't account for, and I had to scrap it all. Argh.) But just so I feel like it wasn't a total waste of time, a few random fun facts I picked up:
  • There are a total of 7.34 million unexalted dragons on the site (as of Apr 20, 18:22 server time)
  • The combined biomass of all these dragons is nearly 22 billion kilograms, over two-thirds of which is guardians and imps alone.
  • The average guardian (the biggest dragon in terms of weight) consumes around 239,000 kilocalories per day.

Now, onto my second theory for calculating the size of Sornieth.

It doesn't make sense to me for the size of each flight region to depend on the number of clans, because otherwise the Tangled Wood would be five times the size of Dragonhome. So instead I tried to figure out how big the biggest flight region would have to be to support its number of clans, and guess at how big the other regions must be in comparison by looking at the World Map.

The lowest population density is probably in the Southern Icefields, because the cold climate would make it difficult to find food. According to this research paper, wolf packs in the Yukon Flats of Alaska occupied territories of roughly 1,378 square kilometers each, or about 856 square miles. If this was the standard territory size in the Southern Icefields (which is similar to Alaska, right?), the region would occupy over 25 million square miles, not counting unoccupied land. That's bigger than Europa, Asia, and Australia combined. Obviously clan territories would be smaller in other regions, but looking at the size of the Southern Icefields in relation to the rest of the world, I'd venture to say that all the landmasses of Sornieth would total at least 125 million miles. Which is well over twice the land area of Earth.
@whim

I kept thinking about what you said about not being able to determine ideal territory sizes, which led to me staying up last night doing a buttload of math that didn't pan out in the end. (I was trying to calculate the minimum amount of acreage each dragon needs to fulfill their daily calorie needs, but after I got to the end of the calculations I realized there were a bunch of factors I couldn't account for, and I had to scrap it all. Argh.) But just so I feel like it wasn't a total waste of time, a few random fun facts I picked up:
  • There are a total of 7.34 million unexalted dragons on the site (as of Apr 20, 18:22 server time)
  • The combined biomass of all these dragons is nearly 22 billion kilograms, over two-thirds of which is guardians and imps alone.
  • The average guardian (the biggest dragon in terms of weight) consumes around 239,000 kilocalories per day.

Now, onto my second theory for calculating the size of Sornieth.

It doesn't make sense to me for the size of each flight region to depend on the number of clans, because otherwise the Tangled Wood would be five times the size of Dragonhome. So instead I tried to figure out how big the biggest flight region would have to be to support its number of clans, and guess at how big the other regions must be in comparison by looking at the World Map.

The lowest population density is probably in the Southern Icefields, because the cold climate would make it difficult to find food. According to this research paper, wolf packs in the Yukon Flats of Alaska occupied territories of roughly 1,378 square kilometers each, or about 856 square miles. If this was the standard territory size in the Southern Icefields (which is similar to Alaska, right?), the region would occupy over 25 million square miles, not counting unoccupied land. That's bigger than Europa, Asia, and Australia combined. Obviously clan territories would be smaller in other regions, but looking at the size of the Southern Icefields in relation to the rest of the world, I'd venture to say that all the landmasses of Sornieth would total at least 125 million miles. Which is well over twice the land area of Earth.
09070661-F9A3-4D5F-AE78-35EBF843F64C.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10