Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | N.A.S [Hiring!]
Bump
Bump
hi
@FoolishRay @Solztize @CelestialJelly @Hammercorn @MidnightBlossom @Miaow @BlowingInTheWind @Noki @Leopardmask @steampunkdNinja @Percifrax @turtlezepic @SpaceSquidz @Spiritus @SilverFox @Gabsgen @StrykeSlammerII @Racnarath @IgnusFlamel @Ike9899 @Amyboo

Hi everyone! Work on NAS has started and I would like to thank everyone who helped to support the idea! Remember, suggestions and feedback are appreciated, and we're still hiring Art and Economics teachers!
@FoolishRay @Solztize @CelestialJelly @Hammercorn @MidnightBlossom @Miaow @BlowingInTheWind @Noki @Leopardmask @steampunkdNinja @Percifrax @turtlezepic @SpaceSquidz @Spiritus @SilverFox @Gabsgen @StrykeSlammerII @Racnarath @IgnusFlamel @Ike9899 @Amyboo

Hi everyone! Work on NAS has started and I would like to thank everyone who helped to support the idea! Remember, suggestions and feedback are appreciated, and we're still hiring Art and Economics teachers!
hi
@SplashFeather

Hooray!

Do you have any idea what the curriculum will be like? I can't think of anything off the top of my head (although maybe we should discuss this in a PM).
@SplashFeather

Hooray!

Do you have any idea what the curriculum will be like? I can't think of anything off the top of my head (although maybe we should discuss this in a PM).
ZTu6k6.pngGKkegK.png
@splashfeather wait, I must be living under a rock to think 25kt is not expensive. That's maybe an hour to three in the fairgrounds depending on how awful you are at games. Shoot I don't think 50kt is very expensive, but I also train/exalt for cash. Anyway, my grumbling about price. Scholarships sounds really cool though! In Canada we also have grants which are similar but with less effort (as far as I can tell).

Also in favor of a dirt cheap newbie class. I'd suggest it cover the basics of flight rising as a general and touches on all the subjects briefly. Like the tutored walkthrough we don't have in this game. God I was so confused when I first joined... :|

I know it might sound a bit insane, but perhaps we should direct actual classes to an exterior platform so they can be private and exclusive to the students. Maybe a different forum service if we want to keep to forums, or a web based text chat room.
@splashfeather wait, I must be living under a rock to think 25kt is not expensive. That's maybe an hour to three in the fairgrounds depending on how awful you are at games. Shoot I don't think 50kt is very expensive, but I also train/exalt for cash. Anyway, my grumbling about price. Scholarships sounds really cool though! In Canada we also have grants which are similar but with less effort (as far as I can tell).

Also in favor of a dirt cheap newbie class. I'd suggest it cover the basics of flight rising as a general and touches on all the subjects briefly. Like the tutored walkthrough we don't have in this game. God I was so confused when I first joined... :|

I know it might sound a bit insane, but perhaps we should direct actual classes to an exterior platform so they can be private and exclusive to the students. Maybe a different forum service if we want to keep to forums, or a web based text chat room.
Also I like that logo! I'd love if it had titles ("art teacher") as well so we can put badges in our signatures to link back.
Also I like that logo! I'd love if it had titles ("art teacher") as well so we can put badges in our signatures to link back.
@MidnightBlossom
The curriculum will be sent to teachers once it's fully developed!

@Noki
As has been said before, I feel like paying much less would undervalue the work that the teachers are doing, so 25k will be the minimum. Scholarships are a great option that will most likely be added!

That's a good idea; I know a lot of people are lost when first joining, so being able to provide some kind of tutorial would be great!

I'd prefer to keep all NAS related student/staff chats on-site so we can ensure that NAS is a safe place. A seperate site/blog may be made if needed, but for now I'd prefer if NAS was kept to FR.

Glad to hear you like the logo! Yep, badges will be made for members of faculty as well as students! I might cycle through a few other options for logos, but I'm quite liking that one.
@MidnightBlossom
The curriculum will be sent to teachers once it's fully developed!

@Noki
As has been said before, I feel like paying much less would undervalue the work that the teachers are doing, so 25k will be the minimum. Scholarships are a great option that will most likely be added!

That's a good idea; I know a lot of people are lost when first joining, so being able to provide some kind of tutorial would be great!

I'd prefer to keep all NAS related student/staff chats on-site so we can ensure that NAS is a safe place. A seperate site/blog may be made if needed, but for now I'd prefer if NAS was kept to FR.

Glad to hear you like the logo! Yep, badges will be made for members of faculty as well as students! I might cycle through a few other options for logos, but I'm quite liking that one.
hi
@Noki @Splashfeather
Fire has done similar, forum-based things for a couple newbie pushes (albeit for free) so I'm really not sure why it's a problem to have people "audit" the class.
So long as we have enough students paying to give the teachers a good return, any lurkers won't get the shiny bits at the end.... I personally don't see the problem. Am I missing something?
@Noki @Splashfeather
Fire has done similar, forum-based things for a couple newbie pushes (albeit for free) so I'm really not sure why it's a problem to have people "audit" the class.
So long as we have enough students paying to give the teachers a good return, any lurkers won't get the shiny bits at the end.... I personally don't see the problem. Am I missing something?
Rule #1:
There are always exceptions to the rules.

KnCHVU9.png
J9uDXUp.png

//
tumblr_inline_ny1gxqcPe11qmzhvw_540.png
//

I never saw my shadow till I saw the light
now I need more light to drown it out
-Massivivid
@StrykeSlammer
Sorry I don't really get what you mean. Could you please elaborate?
@StrykeSlammer
Sorry I don't really get what you mean. Could you please elaborate?
hi
@SplashFeather
I've seen a couple people (not you, I don't think) seem to dislike doing this on the FR forums because then everyone will have access to the content.

I can see that maybe not being "fair", but we're already discussing grants/scholarships and keeping the price low... but the only real reason we're charging is to give the teachers something for their time.
In exchange, the paying students get a certificate of some sort that they took the course.

So long as the teachers are paid an amount that they're happy with, and the certificates are personalized so they can't be easily stolen/forged, I don't see why the course content can't be public.

Non-paying lurkers can audit the class (that's the term I'm used to seeing for just sitting in on a class and not getting credit for it or getting to take the tests) but they won't get to have their questions answered or what-have-you, since they're not really part of the course.
@SplashFeather
I've seen a couple people (not you, I don't think) seem to dislike doing this on the FR forums because then everyone will have access to the content.

I can see that maybe not being "fair", but we're already discussing grants/scholarships and keeping the price low... but the only real reason we're charging is to give the teachers something for their time.
In exchange, the paying students get a certificate of some sort that they took the course.

So long as the teachers are paid an amount that they're happy with, and the certificates are personalized so they can't be easily stolen/forged, I don't see why the course content can't be public.

Non-paying lurkers can audit the class (that's the term I'm used to seeing for just sitting in on a class and not getting credit for it or getting to take the tests) but they won't get to have their questions answered or what-have-you, since they're not really part of the course.
Rule #1:
There are always exceptions to the rules.

KnCHVU9.png
J9uDXUp.png

//
tumblr_inline_ny1gxqcPe11qmzhvw_540.png
//

I never saw my shadow till I saw the light
now I need more light to drown it out
-Massivivid
@StrykeSlammerII
Yes, there's are pro's and cons with both. If it's all on display it can easily be utilised by people that aren't enrolled, however it's easily archived so students can catch up or refer to past work easily. If it's all done in private the teachers have all of the control, and there would need to be a lot of trust in the teachers. Either could work, but it's still yet to be decided!
@StrykeSlammerII
Yes, there's are pro's and cons with both. If it's all on display it can easily be utilised by people that aren't enrolled, however it's easily archived so students can catch up or refer to past work easily. If it's all done in private the teachers have all of the control, and there would need to be a lot of trust in the teachers. Either could work, but it's still yet to be decided!
hi