Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Brightshine Jubilee] Main Hub
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 54 55
1 Ticket: This Is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams 2 Tickets: "Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you." The Waste Land, T.S. Eliot [s]I know it's a poem but it's my fave and I am literary trash.[/s] "Whatever you become, teacher, scholar, or musician, have respect for the "meaning" but do not imagine that it can be taught." The Glass Bead Game, Herman Hesse 3 Tickets: I made my [url=http://www.printwithmypic.com/pictureframes/bookmarktemplates.php]bookmark using this[/url], and the Lightweaver [url=http://www.dreamself.me]avatar using this[/url]. [img]http://i.imgur.com/cqkyiXK.png[/img]
1 Ticket:
This Is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams

2 Tickets:
"Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."
The Waste Land, T.S. Eliot I know it's a poem but it's my fave and I am literary trash.

"Whatever you become, teacher, scholar, or musician, have respect for the "meaning" but do not imagine that it can be taught."
The Glass Bead Game, Herman Hesse

3 Tickets:
I made my bookmark using this, and the Lightweaver avatar using this.

cqkyiXK.png

1221.png
He was #1.
Name one book on your summer reading list or recommend one of your favorite books.
I'm hoping to read Game of Thrones!

Post your favorite book quote. Remember to state the title and author of the book the quote is taken from.
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” George Orwell, 1984
Name one book on your summer reading list or recommend one of your favorite books.
I'm hoping to read Game of Thrones!

Post your favorite book quote. Remember to state the title and author of the book the quote is taken from.
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” George Orwell, 1984
@awerebear - Oh wow! That bookmark is super cute! And I really like the quote by Herman Hesse

Ticket totals updated to here.
@awerebear - Oh wow! That bookmark is super cute! And I really like the quote by Herman Hesse

35904369725_978ccc03a4_o.gifkleur_100_by_dragonnmr-d9d1d8c.gif35863551716_80b47e2499_o.png1ezfoMg.png

The Maze runner series are on my reading list. And everybody should read The Night Angel trilogy from Brent Weeks!

“Remember that time you tried to hump the bridge?”
- Brent Weeks, The way of Shadows

The Maze runner series are on my reading list. And everybody should read The Night Angel trilogy from Brent Weeks!

“Remember that time you tried to hump the bridge?”
- Brent Weeks, The way of Shadows
1 Point

One book I've read thus far is entitled "Act of War" by Brad Thor.

In the book, there is a faction of the Chinese government that believes the best way for China to succeed and survive is for them to launch an unprecedented terrorist attack on the United States and an undercover operative leads the dramatic and rather exciting race against time to uncover the plot and stop the Chinese from launching said attack.

Brad Thor writes a lot of action novels involving several secret programs, CIA operations, and other such things. If you like military/CIA action novels with mystery, he is pretty good.

2 Point

Okay this quote is a few paragraphs for you to understand it. This is a favorite section of a book for me since I find the idea beautiful and fascinating and it gives me hope for something amazing after our loved ones die. This is from "Eye of God" by James Rollins, and is about a satellite called the book title that measures dark energy, and it sees into one possible future for the world, where people race to find and stop this. His books are all action adventure with a lot of real life science explained and mixed in.

"A common consensus among neuroscientists is that the human consciousness lies within the quantum field generated by the fast neural network that is our brain... I've always found that last thought reassuring."

"Why?"

"If that's true, than by virtue of quantum mechanics, our consciousness is entangled across all the various multiverses. Perhaps when we die, its just a collapse of that potential in this timeline and our consciousness shifts into one where we are still living."

From his doubtful expression, she delved deeper. "Take cancer. You have this cell in your body that divides wrong, a small mistake in a process that happens over and over again in a healthy body. If it divides correctly, no cancer. If it makes a mistake, you get cancer. A mere toss of the genetic dice. Heads or tails... but what if we are all entangled across multiple universes? That opens up a unique possibility. In one universe, cancer may kill you, but because you're entangled, your consciousness shifts into that other universe where you don't get cancer. Your consciousness continues, merging with the other. this can happen over and over again, shifting each time to a timeline where you live... until you live your fullest life."

1 Point

One book I've read thus far is entitled "Act of War" by Brad Thor.

In the book, there is a faction of the Chinese government that believes the best way for China to succeed and survive is for them to launch an unprecedented terrorist attack on the United States and an undercover operative leads the dramatic and rather exciting race against time to uncover the plot and stop the Chinese from launching said attack.

Brad Thor writes a lot of action novels involving several secret programs, CIA operations, and other such things. If you like military/CIA action novels with mystery, he is pretty good.

2 Point

Okay this quote is a few paragraphs for you to understand it. This is a favorite section of a book for me since I find the idea beautiful and fascinating and it gives me hope for something amazing after our loved ones die. This is from "Eye of God" by James Rollins, and is about a satellite called the book title that measures dark energy, and it sees into one possible future for the world, where people race to find and stop this. His books are all action adventure with a lot of real life science explained and mixed in.

"A common consensus among neuroscientists is that the human consciousness lies within the quantum field generated by the fast neural network that is our brain... I've always found that last thought reassuring."

"Why?"

"If that's true, than by virtue of quantum mechanics, our consciousness is entangled across all the various multiverses. Perhaps when we die, its just a collapse of that potential in this timeline and our consciousness shifts into one where we are still living."

From his doubtful expression, she delved deeper. "Take cancer. You have this cell in your body that divides wrong, a small mistake in a process that happens over and over again in a healthy body. If it divides correctly, no cancer. If it makes a mistake, you get cancer. A mere toss of the genetic dice. Heads or tails... but what if we are all entangled across multiple universes? That opens up a unique possibility. In one universe, cancer may kill you, but because you're entangled, your consciousness shifts into that other universe where you don't get cancer. Your consciousness continues, merging with the other. this can happen over and over again, shifting each time to a timeline where you live... until you live your fullest life."

1 ticket: I am reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The book is very good and I enjoy so much. 2 tickets: I am new to the USA and learning English now. I read this book in my language and it make much sense to me. This is We Need New Names by wonderful writer NoViolet Bulawayo. “The problem with English is this: You usually can't open your mouth and it comes out just like that--first you have to think what you want to say. Then you have to find the words. Then you have to carefully arrange those words in your head. Then you have to say the words quietly to yourself, to make sure you got them okay. And finally, the last step, which is to say the words out loud and have them sound just right. But then because you have to do all this, when you get to the final step, something strange has happened to you and you speak the way a drunk walks." 3 tickets: i make a bookmark in the Paint. [img]http://i.imgur.com/coN3sL7.png[/img]
1 ticket:
I am reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The book is very good and I enjoy so much.

2 tickets:
I am new to the USA and learning English now. I read this book in my language and it make much sense to me. This is We Need New Names by wonderful writer NoViolet Bulawayo.

“The problem with English is this: You usually can't open your mouth and it comes out just like that--first you have to think what you want to say. Then you have to find the words. Then you have to carefully arrange those words in your head. Then you have to say the words quietly to yourself, to make sure you got them okay. And finally, the last step, which is to say the words out loud and have them sound just right. But then because you have to do all this, when you get to the final step, something strange has happened to you and you speak the way a drunk walks."

3 tickets:
i make a bookmark in the Paint.

coN3sL7.png
gBD4XP7.png
My favorite book is "Saving Ceecee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman and my favorite book quote is from "The 13 and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear" by Walter Moers it is from the last chapter.
"Life is short. they say. A matter of opinion, say I. Some lives are short, others long, and many are middling. Besides, I still had another thirteen and a half to go."
My favorite book is "Saving Ceecee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman and my favorite book quote is from "The 13 and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear" by Walter Moers it is from the last chapter.
"Life is short. they say. A matter of opinion, say I. Some lives are short, others long, and many are middling. Besides, I still had another thirteen and a half to go."
1 ticket:
One of my favorite books is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. It was one of the first dystopian novels I read and I loved it because the characters are plausible instead of just likable and of course the plot is awesome! I definitely recommend this.

2 tickets:
This quote is from the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I've never been on the best terms with God."

1 ticket:
One of my favorite books is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. It was one of the first dystopian novels I read and I loved it because the characters are plausible instead of just likable and of course the plot is awesome! I definitely recommend this.

2 tickets:
This quote is from the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I've never been on the best terms with God."

35904369725_978ccc03a4_o.gifkleur_100_by_dragonnmr-d9d1d8c.gif35863551716_80b47e2499_o.png1ezfoMg.png
1 Ticket:
I adore Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, and the sequels are just as lovely. The book and movie are different, so if you've seen it, be prepared for some changes! This book is a fun and quick read that I pick up whenever I need to just breathe for a while. The style is charming and unique (at least to me).
1 Ticket:
I adore Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, and the sequels are just as lovely. The book and movie are different, so if you've seen it, be prepared for some changes! This book is a fun and quick read that I pick up whenever I need to just breathe for a while. The style is charming and unique (at least to me).
Jqlkxca.pngwind2_by_shadowshot9-d9d6lmd.png
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 54 55