Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | High School Deities
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 64 65
@Steex
They have actual names, it's just that we don't have anything canon right now.
On the first thread, we had some name suggestion lists posted (or, at least, I did), but then it got lost in the abyss of time, so woops.

I'll come up with some later (naming is my favorite part). Meaningful Names are important! It's best to know what national heritages everyone has before coming up with them (unless their last names got lost in the abyss of marriage ahahaha)

In my Grandpappy story, his name was Adelbert Castor and his daughter's name was Flora Castor. Arcanist's surname is probably not the same since children adopt their father's last name (unless her husband thought her name was hella more rad than whatever his was and so he changed his name instead)
I chose Castor because it sounded like "Caster" AKA wizaaaaarrds hehehe.
The Earthshaker's familyname is Hamilton, which, as a name, means "From the beautiful mountain".

EDIT:
Oops, forgot to explain Grandpappy's name. His name, Adelbert, means "Mentally brilliant". his modern name, just Albert, means "Firm; responsible".
The Speaker's name, Sibyl Ford, means "Wise, prophetic" and "Productive; practical; prophetic" respectively.
Flora's name obviously means "flower", but his dragon "daughter" was named Flutters, after butterflies. And everybody knows butterflies go with flowers.
@Steex
They have actual names, it's just that we don't have anything canon right now.
On the first thread, we had some name suggestion lists posted (or, at least, I did), but then it got lost in the abyss of time, so woops.

I'll come up with some later (naming is my favorite part). Meaningful Names are important! It's best to know what national heritages everyone has before coming up with them (unless their last names got lost in the abyss of marriage ahahaha)

In my Grandpappy story, his name was Adelbert Castor and his daughter's name was Flora Castor. Arcanist's surname is probably not the same since children adopt their father's last name (unless her husband thought her name was hella more rad than whatever his was and so he changed his name instead)
I chose Castor because it sounded like "Caster" AKA wizaaaaarrds hehehe.
The Earthshaker's familyname is Hamilton, which, as a name, means "From the beautiful mountain".

EDIT:
Oops, forgot to explain Grandpappy's name. His name, Adelbert, means "Mentally brilliant". his modern name, just Albert, means "Firm; responsible".
The Speaker's name, Sibyl Ford, means "Wise, prophetic" and "Productive; practical; prophetic" respectively.
Flora's name obviously means "flower", but his dragon "daughter" was named Flutters, after butterflies. And everybody knows butterflies go with flowers.
xR7ErnV.pngW6y8rmh.pngNr0CWta.png
@Steex Pinging you because you asked about them

Proposed Human Names
Each name listen will be firstname then lastname. Except if you are Windsinger. Then you get a second name that goes last/first. And Flamecaller's name in Kanji/Katakana is also last/first.
  • Windsinger - Alan Sky / Feng An 風安
    The firstname is his Western name, which is in all the records. Alan means "Cheerful; in harmony" in Celtic while Sky means... the sky. His second name is only used by his mother, who I headcanon as Chinese and his father to be... something else. Idunno. Feng (風), her family name, means "wind". His first name, An (安), means "peace".

• Tidelord - Phineas Ward
    Phineas means "oracle" in Hebrew. It's also funny because it starts with Phin AKA Fin, as in fish. Thanks @LilacsandFreedom for the recommendation. Ward, as a Teutonic name, means "guardian", because Guardians.

• Flamecaller - Akira Hino 火野アキラ
    Her name is the same both at home and on the records. Akira (アキラ) means "bright; intelligent; clear", though I picked it because it's just one character off from Akiri, Flamecaller's rumored production name and the Mod. If you want to go the Hindu route instead of the Japanese, Akira means "graceful strength". Her last name, Hino (火野), uses the Kanji meaning "fire" (火). The second Kanji, 野, basically means "field", so it literally means "field of fire". Except it doesn't actually because Japanese is so complicated. My high school Japanese classes are only slightly helping.

• Earthshaker - Henry Hamilton
    Henry means "home ruler" in Teutonic. The name Hamilton is Norman for "from the beautiful mountain". Also, fun fact! His initials will be H.H. with this name. And double letters are fun! Hooray!

• Stormcatcher - Richard Anthony Price
    The only guy I'm sure what his middle name is. Richard is Teutonic, meaning "Stern, but just". Price, his last name, is Welsh, meaning "Son of the ardent one". Because money. And I chose the name Anthony because a common shortening of it is Tony, as in TONY STARK.

• Lightweaver - Eileen Karras
    Eileen is a Greek name meaning "light". The lastname is also Greek, meaning "carter", as in the job. Why did I choose Karras? Because it also is a nickname of the word "karas" which means "black; dark". Sure, it fits more for Shady than Glitters, but I couldn't find a better name that could fit both sisters.

• Shadowbinder - Melanie Karras
    The firstname is, once more, Greek. It means "dark-clothed". And I already explained Karras.

• Icewarden - William Vinter
    His first name is Teutonic, meaning "resolute". His lastname is a Scandinavian version of the last name Winter. I went with Vinter because we only need one person with double-initials. It's also a tiny bit less obvious.

• Gladekeeper - Melissa Lyffe
    Melissa means "honey bee" in Greek. I didn't want to go with any obvious names like the names of plants (Holly, Ivy, etc.). Lyffe is pronounced the same as "life", an English name. Both Nature and Plague revolve around life and death, so I thought it was appropriate.

• Plaguebringer - Theresa Lyffe
    Theresa is also Greek. It means "harvestor; reaper", because pffft, who needs plants? And I already explained Lyffe.

• Arcanist - Sirius Castor
    Sirius, as in the brightest star system in the Earth's night sky. When one envisions a Sirius, you would expect a sharp, upright man of wealth and taste. But this guy is a total dork who falls asleep during class and doodles dragons in the sidebar of his essay. And I reused Castor, his mother's surname. Why it's not his father's is something I don't really know. Maybe he didn't like his last name and thought his wife's name was cooler, idunno. Anyways, Castor, because I thought I was being funny since Castor=Caster, as in caster of magic, AKA WIZARDS.
@Steex Pinging you because you asked about them

Proposed Human Names
Each name listen will be firstname then lastname. Except if you are Windsinger. Then you get a second name that goes last/first. And Flamecaller's name in Kanji/Katakana is also last/first.
  • Windsinger - Alan Sky / Feng An 風安
    The firstname is his Western name, which is in all the records. Alan means "Cheerful; in harmony" in Celtic while Sky means... the sky. His second name is only used by his mother, who I headcanon as Chinese and his father to be... something else. Idunno. Feng (風), her family name, means "wind". His first name, An (安), means "peace".

• Tidelord - Phineas Ward
    Phineas means "oracle" in Hebrew. It's also funny because it starts with Phin AKA Fin, as in fish. Thanks @LilacsandFreedom for the recommendation. Ward, as a Teutonic name, means "guardian", because Guardians.

• Flamecaller - Akira Hino 火野アキラ
    Her name is the same both at home and on the records. Akira (アキラ) means "bright; intelligent; clear", though I picked it because it's just one character off from Akiri, Flamecaller's rumored production name and the Mod. If you want to go the Hindu route instead of the Japanese, Akira means "graceful strength". Her last name, Hino (火野), uses the Kanji meaning "fire" (火). The second Kanji, 野, basically means "field", so it literally means "field of fire". Except it doesn't actually because Japanese is so complicated. My high school Japanese classes are only slightly helping.

• Earthshaker - Henry Hamilton
    Henry means "home ruler" in Teutonic. The name Hamilton is Norman for "from the beautiful mountain". Also, fun fact! His initials will be H.H. with this name. And double letters are fun! Hooray!

• Stormcatcher - Richard Anthony Price
    The only guy I'm sure what his middle name is. Richard is Teutonic, meaning "Stern, but just". Price, his last name, is Welsh, meaning "Son of the ardent one". Because money. And I chose the name Anthony because a common shortening of it is Tony, as in TONY STARK.

• Lightweaver - Eileen Karras
    Eileen is a Greek name meaning "light". The lastname is also Greek, meaning "carter", as in the job. Why did I choose Karras? Because it also is a nickname of the word "karas" which means "black; dark". Sure, it fits more for Shady than Glitters, but I couldn't find a better name that could fit both sisters.

• Shadowbinder - Melanie Karras
    The firstname is, once more, Greek. It means "dark-clothed". And I already explained Karras.

• Icewarden - William Vinter
    His first name is Teutonic, meaning "resolute". His lastname is a Scandinavian version of the last name Winter. I went with Vinter because we only need one person with double-initials. It's also a tiny bit less obvious.

• Gladekeeper - Melissa Lyffe
    Melissa means "honey bee" in Greek. I didn't want to go with any obvious names like the names of plants (Holly, Ivy, etc.). Lyffe is pronounced the same as "life", an English name. Both Nature and Plague revolve around life and death, so I thought it was appropriate.

• Plaguebringer - Theresa Lyffe
    Theresa is also Greek. It means "harvestor; reaper", because pffft, who needs plants? And I already explained Lyffe.

• Arcanist - Sirius Castor
    Sirius, as in the brightest star system in the Earth's night sky. When one envisions a Sirius, you would expect a sharp, upright man of wealth and taste. But this guy is a total dork who falls asleep during class and doodles dragons in the sidebar of his essay. And I reused Castor, his mother's surname. Why it's not his father's is something I don't really know. Maybe he didn't like his last name and thought his wife's name was cooler, idunno. Anyways, Castor, because I thought I was being funny since Castor=Caster, as in caster of magic, AKA WIZARDS.
@Ayreria I love those names! Fits everyone really nicely X3 brownie points for Tidey's name: the ward items in League of Legends give you [i]vision[/i]. Also there are two notable men called Phine(h)as in the Bible and they're both connected to priests aka [i]seer/speakers[/i] of God. Huzzah! Btw I finished Tidepotato so here ya go o/ Hawaiian T-shirts 5ever! [img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p50/Monica_YS/Tidelordresize_zps68ee26c6.png[/img]
@Ayreria

I love those names! Fits everyone really nicely X3 brownie points for Tidey's name: the ward items in League of Legends give you vision. Also there are two notable men called Phine(h)as in the Bible and they're both connected to priests aka seer/speakers of God. Huzzah!

Btw I finished Tidepotato so here ya go o/ Hawaiian T-shirts 5ever!

Tidelordresize_zps68ee26c6.png
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@PhoenixWarlord (Pinging myself because I REFUSE to lose track of this thread again

@Steex YOUR ART IS AMAZING. How do you even art. I don't know...
And yes, that is probably an accurate representation of the Tidepotato.
(Poor Tidepotato, trying SO hard to grow a beard...)

@Ayeria YAS YAS YAS ALL OF YOUR IDEAS ARE AWESOME
@PhoenixWarlord (Pinging myself because I REFUSE to lose track of this thread again

@Steex YOUR ART IS AMAZING. How do you even art. I don't know...
And yes, that is probably an accurate representation of the Tidepotato.
(Poor Tidepotato, trying SO hard to grow a beard...)

@Ayeria YAS YAS YAS ALL OF YOUR IDEAS ARE AWESOME
x0CMhAc.png pYAz4OB.png keychainsmallpurple_by_general_ebonrose-d9vbgfs.png zyvrj7C.png
@PhoenixWarlord

TL;DR I doodle faces and add features on them accordingly to @sugarfrost and @Ayreria's many amazing headcanons. Then I color it in a bit and nab patterns and backgrounds from the internet and slap them on the picture like stickers, but with more edits.

This has been an in-depth guide on how to art.

That being said I think I'll do either Twerkshaker or Bossman next. Maybe Bossman.
@PhoenixWarlord

TL;DR I doodle faces and add features on them accordingly to @sugarfrost and @Ayreria's many amazing headcanons. Then I color it in a bit and nab patterns and backgrounds from the internet and slap them on the picture like stickers, but with more edits.

This has been an in-depth guide on how to art.

That being said I think I'll do either Twerkshaker or Bossman next. Maybe Bossman.
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@Steex Thank you on the instructions on how to art. I will now be able to art amazingly. Definitely.
@Steex Thank you on the instructions on how to art. I will now be able to art amazingly. Definitely.
x0CMhAc.png pYAz4OB.png keychainsmallpurple_by_general_ebonrose-d9vbgfs.png zyvrj7C.png
@PhoenixWarlord
Glad you like what you read ^_^
Go, go art the amazements. We believe in you.

@Steex
Buy a ward, save a life but make sure you can control your visions ahahaha

Ahahaha my main problem with arting is that I don't own a drawing tablet, so I'm stuck with using the mouse. Takes a long time and I can't use any fancy stroke stuff, but it can leave a very good feeling if I ever actually finish anything. I'm better off with pixel art, tbh.

EDIT: I think I know what my signature is going to be :D
@PhoenixWarlord
Glad you like what you read ^_^
Go, go art the amazements. We believe in you.

@Steex
Buy a ward, save a life but make sure you can control your visions ahahaha

Ahahaha my main problem with arting is that I don't own a drawing tablet, so I'm stuck with using the mouse. Takes a long time and I can't use any fancy stroke stuff, but it can leave a very good feeling if I ever actually finish anything. I'm better off with pixel art, tbh.

EDIT: I think I know what my signature is going to be :D
@Steex
Please, don't stop making art ever. ; w ;
It hsould

@Ayreria
I always thought of Windsinger as a Native American, but he can also be a mix Chinese babu yay!

About location, I'd keep it ambiguous. The town they live in is like a really old-timey country town, somewhere isolated from a lot of other cities. I imagine it to be located somewhere near Nevada or California, maybe, where there's a lot of open space for long drives to the middle of nowhere. It's somewhat of a romantic place. The town itself has the bare necessities and a little more, but more frivolous stuff can be bought in the nearest big city, which is around thirty minutes away by driving.
@Steex
Please, don't stop making art ever. ; w ;
It hsould

@Ayreria
I always thought of Windsinger as a Native American, but he can also be a mix Chinese babu yay!

About location, I'd keep it ambiguous. The town they live in is like a really old-timey country town, somewhere isolated from a lot of other cities. I imagine it to be located somewhere near Nevada or California, maybe, where there's a lot of open space for long drives to the middle of nowhere. It's somewhat of a romantic place. The town itself has the bare necessities and a little more, but more frivolous stuff can be bought in the nearest big city, which is around thirty minutes away by driving.
tumblr_inline_nfx5micmyj1r6zydg.png
@Ayreria
I originally chose "Carrie" for Shadowbinder as both a derived form of Kerri, Celtic for "dark"/"dark-haired one", and Stephen King's novel Carrie (because we know that's hella dark, right?). Not sure if that's the best option, but that's one idea.

For Shady and Glitters, perhaps the surname "Gnostikos" could work? It's old Greek for "knowledge" (literally, cognitive), and the elements of light and darkness I think revolve around realization and enlightenment.
Sounds kinda clunky, though, so idk man
@Ayreria
I originally chose "Carrie" for Shadowbinder as both a derived form of Kerri, Celtic for "dark"/"dark-haired one", and Stephen King's novel Carrie (because we know that's hella dark, right?). Not sure if that's the best option, but that's one idea.

For Shady and Glitters, perhaps the surname "Gnostikos" could work? It's old Greek for "knowledge" (literally, cognitive), and the elements of light and darkness I think revolve around realization and enlightenment.
Sounds kinda clunky, though, so idk man
tumblr_inline_nfx5micmyj1r6zydg.png
@sugarfrost I picture him to have some Chinese blood since the Windswept Plateau has all this bamboo and everyone seems to associate bamboo with the Chinese SPEAKING OF WINDSINGER I'm making a bunch of cute little deity pixel thingies that I'm going to stick in my signature (probably just Windsock, Archie, Glitters, and Bossman, but I'll make others too) Each image is 90x90. JUDGE [img]http://i.imgur.com/eRtv5Ic.gif[/img]
@sugarfrost
I picture him to have some Chinese blood since the Windswept Plateau has all this bamboo and everyone seems to associate bamboo with the Chinese

SPEAKING OF WINDSINGER

I'm making a bunch of cute little deity pixel thingies that I'm going to stick in my signature (probably just Windsock, Archie, Glitters, and Bossman, but I'll make others too) Each image is 90x90.

JUDGE

eRtv5Ic.gif
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 64 65