Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why so many RULES to buy a dragon?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13
I don't think messages for buying someone's dragon is rude or manipulative. Sure it can be the reason, but more than likely it's not. Reading too much into this stuff is pretty silly. Just send a note saying you're welcome and do whatever you planned to do. Not all people are out to get you :P
I don't think messages for buying someone's dragon is rude or manipulative. Sure it can be the reason, but more than likely it's not. Reading too much into this stuff is pretty silly. Just send a note saying you're welcome and do whatever you planned to do. Not all people are out to get you :P
dR1OCbi.png
I wasn't aware there was such a wide application of this in selling threads. D;

In my early weeks I picked up a lot of beautiful dragons in free adoption threads. I feel it's different than selling, but at baseline, it's still one person offering an unwanted dragon, to a forum of people who potentially want it more. Out of respect for the previous owners' affections and the fact that they were free, I never plan to exalt my 'adoptees'. They're separately listed from my AH purchases, gifts, and clanborn for that reason. A strict rule of those free threads includes non-exaltation. Any derg I get from the AH though, or directly buy, I will ultimately do what I want with.

A complete exchange involving a product, and compensation for that product, is the beginning and end of that transaction. There are no invisible strings attached where you must do this, or you have to do that, once the deal has reached completion.

I see people go a little nutsy about having their offspring named before exaltation. While I don't share the sentiment, I can understand not wanting to forever stare at 'unnamed' 'unnamed' on one of your permanent lair occupants.

It's a little obsessive to go through your offspring lists and monitor activity. If someone can't stand the thought of their creations being exalted, they shouldn't sell them.
I wasn't aware there was such a wide application of this in selling threads. D;

In my early weeks I picked up a lot of beautiful dragons in free adoption threads. I feel it's different than selling, but at baseline, it's still one person offering an unwanted dragon, to a forum of people who potentially want it more. Out of respect for the previous owners' affections and the fact that they were free, I never plan to exalt my 'adoptees'. They're separately listed from my AH purchases, gifts, and clanborn for that reason. A strict rule of those free threads includes non-exaltation. Any derg I get from the AH though, or directly buy, I will ultimately do what I want with.

A complete exchange involving a product, and compensation for that product, is the beginning and end of that transaction. There are no invisible strings attached where you must do this, or you have to do that, once the deal has reached completion.

I see people go a little nutsy about having their offspring named before exaltation. While I don't share the sentiment, I can understand not wanting to forever stare at 'unnamed' 'unnamed' on one of your permanent lair occupants.

It's a little obsessive to go through your offspring lists and monitor activity. If someone can't stand the thought of their creations being exalted, they shouldn't sell them.
32392442p.png66416996p.png83684589p.png75459369p.png78722162p.png70636041p.png64470764p.png
This... is new to me.
This... is new to me.
Wow. THIS is why I generally don't buy off the forums. I have some that I was politely asked not to exalt(and I won't exalt them if I bought their genes), and if I wanted to pay the kind of money the forums charged, I wouldn't use that one as fodder anyway. Surf the auction house. There are lot of prettied the, no real rules, and if you decide to keep them, you'll make somebody happy if they check back in a month,.
Wow. THIS is why I generally don't buy off the forums. I have some that I was politely asked not to exalt(and I won't exalt them if I bought their genes), and if I wanted to pay the kind of money the forums charged, I wouldn't use that one as fodder anyway. Surf the auction house. There are lot of prettied the, no real rules, and if you decide to keep them, you'll make somebody happy if they check back in a month,.
lSyxazy.png
5vnsOgE.png
Bv4nfib.png
fdUVIfW.pngoptH9Kd.png gg8Ii1Q.png
zl1ZGZ2.png 2VtxnMX.png 3Atxu83.png xXVzXvp.png RI1dQsH.png Pgv53XB.png hT8tqqJ.png NlmYDAS.png ANZRVK7.png jxjhtnM.png J8QoPxT.png F10c885.png kHBaXec.png
mYEe9VI.png
When it comes to selling dragons, this bugs me so much =-=
I just don't buy them. And so I get to keep my money and they get to keep their whiney rules :P

My only exception on this is I was gifted a dragon and I was asked not to exalt him, because he is a dragon who is gifted on. But that is a gift, so it feels a little different to me. But still, nothing is stopping me from exalting him, I'm just choosing not to. Shrugs.
When it comes to selling dragons, this bugs me so much =-=
I just don't buy them. And so I get to keep my money and they get to keep their whiney rules :P

My only exception on this is I was gifted a dragon and I was asked not to exalt him, because he is a dragon who is gifted on. But that is a gift, so it feels a little different to me. But still, nothing is stopping me from exalting him, I'm just choosing not to. Shrugs.
That's a bit weird :D We only really buy dragons to exalt from the auction house so we haven't run into this. If there was a dragon we were interested in buying but it came with those sorts of rules we'd just leave. They're not getting our money :D
That's a bit weird :D We only really buy dragons to exalt from the auction house so we haven't run into this. If there was a dragon we were interested in buying but it came with those sorts of rules we'd just leave. They're not getting our money :D
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
[quote name="Aggron" date="2014-11-06 22:15:06"][quote name="YawningDodo" date="2014-11-06 21:36:08"][quote name="hat17" date="2014-11-06 20:03:23"]Also, as an extension, I don't particular like receiving 'thank you for buying my dragon' type of messages from the sellers also, especially if they sold it at fodder price. What am I suppose to do now? I felt like I'd be tricked into keeping something I had fully intended to exalt. Though I usually like communication with other players, I find these type of messages a bit rude.[/quote] @hat17 Ugh, I got one of those messages once when I bought a dragon as fodder. I PMed the person with an offer to sell her back at the price I paid and made it clear that I'd bought her to exalt, and they chose to let me exalt her. The whole thing made me uncomfortable, but if it happens again I'll handle it the same way. I think it's definitely rude to send those thank-yous, and I'm not going to let myself get manipulated into keeping a derg.[/quote] I disagree here. I don't find this rude per se. I think it's far more likely that the seller is genuinely grateful that you bothered to buy their dragon, especially the way the market is now. I should know, I've sent some myself. Admittedly, that was a long while ago, but I was indeed legitimately thankful that someone had actually bought my dragon. Now I understand that you're allowed to have your own feelings on the matter, and I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't call behaviour of this kind rude. It might just be a genuine act of gratefulness. True, you may see it as somebody trying to get you to keep the fodder you bought, but I also ask you to keep in mind that not everybody is as malicious as to send you a 'thank you' note for the purposes for pressuring you into keeping something. That is all. *scuttles away*[/quote] I sent like one of these two months after they bought the dragon, but the dragon was level 25 with a long bio, rare familiar and pretty dress up. I was super-happy to see that she was loved so much, especially since I had particullarly thought that dragon was pretty when she hatched.
Aggron wrote on 2014-11-06 22:15:06:
YawningDodo wrote on 2014-11-06 21:36:08:
hat17 wrote on 2014-11-06 20:03:23:
Also, as an extension, I don't particular like receiving 'thank you for buying my dragon' type of messages from the sellers also, especially if they sold it at fodder price. What am I suppose to do now? I felt like I'd be tricked into keeping something I had fully intended to exalt. Though I usually like communication with other players, I find these type of messages a bit rude.

@hat17 Ugh, I got one of those messages once when I bought a dragon as fodder. I PMed the person with an offer to sell her back at the price I paid and made it clear that I'd bought her to exalt, and they chose to let me exalt her. The whole thing made me uncomfortable, but if it happens again I'll handle it the same way. I think it's definitely rude to send those thank-yous, and I'm not going to let myself get manipulated into keeping a derg.

I disagree here. I don't find this rude per se. I think it's far more likely that the seller is genuinely grateful that you bothered to buy their dragon, especially the way the market is now. I should know, I've sent some myself. Admittedly, that was a long while ago, but I was indeed legitimately thankful that someone had actually bought my dragon.

Now I understand that you're allowed to have your own feelings on the matter, and I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't call behaviour of this kind rude. It might just be a genuine act of gratefulness. True, you may see it as somebody trying to get you to keep the fodder you bought, but I also ask you to keep in mind that not everybody is as malicious as to send you a 'thank you' note for the purposes for pressuring you into keeping something.

That is all. *scuttles away*

I sent like one of these two months after they bought the dragon, but the dragon was level 25 with a long bio, rare familiar and pretty dress up. I was super-happy to see that she was loved so much, especially since I had particullarly thought that dragon was pretty when she hatched.
currently on hiatus due to irl stuff.

pm me here or note me on DA (Kittidipity) if you want to contact me, I check in once or twice a week and will get to you as soon as I can
Once a dragon leaves a lair, it's the property of the person who bought it. End of story. You can ask nicely to make sure they get named, or loved, or what-have-you, but the result is the same: it's no longer yours.

Weird, overly complex rules immediately turn off my buyers mojo. How can anyone expect anyone to be able to promise super long term buyers terms? I'm buying a pixel dragon, not a car, thank you. I'll just breed the dragon myself at that point.
Once a dragon leaves a lair, it's the property of the person who bought it. End of story. You can ask nicely to make sure they get named, or loved, or what-have-you, but the result is the same: it's no longer yours.

Weird, overly complex rules immediately turn off my buyers mojo. How can anyone expect anyone to be able to promise super long term buyers terms? I'm buying a pixel dragon, not a car, thank you. I'll just breed the dragon myself at that point.
Ex5pnCI.png
[quote name="Nakumari" date="2014-11-07 03:19:55"] I see people go a little nutsy about having their offspring named before exaltation. While I don't share the sentiment, I can understand not wanting to forever stare at 'unnamed' 'unnamed' on one of your permanent lair occupants. It's a little obsessive to go through your offspring lists and monitor activity. If someone can't stand the thought of their creations being exalted, they shouldn't sell them.[/quote] Personally I like going through my dragon's geneology, but so long as there's no "unnamed" kiddos under the dragons physically in my lair (excluding ones that were already bred before coming into my possession), I don't care if they pop up further down the line because hey, as many said, once they're gone they're not your responsibility anymore. I lucked out in that the first two hatchlings I sold on this site did end up getting names, even if one was exalt fodder, but as I got used to how things were run on the site I decided I wanted to avoid the risk and feel like I came up with a solution that makes most people happy. Basically I first try selling new hatchlings in the forums, where if someone wants to buy a hatchling they have to give me a name (or just leave it up to me) and I'll name the hatchling before sending them onto their new owner. After that it doesn't matter if they keep or exalt. But if there's no interest, I name them myself and put them in the AH. It might make them harder to sell at non-exalt prices, but at least I don't have to worry about the unnamed thing.
Nakumari wrote on 2014-11-07 03:19:55:

Personally I like going through my dragon's geneology, but so long as there's no "unnamed" kiddos under the dragons physically in my lair (excluding ones that were already bred before coming into my possession), I don't care if they pop up further down the line because hey, as many said, once they're gone they're not your responsibility anymore.

I lucked out in that the first two hatchlings I sold on this site did end up getting names, even if one was exalt fodder, but as I got used to how things were run on the site I decided I wanted to avoid the risk and feel like I came up with a solution that makes most people happy.

Basically I first try selling new hatchlings in the forums, where if someone wants to buy a hatchling they have to give me a name (or just leave it up to me) and I'll name the hatchling before sending them onto their new owner. After that it doesn't matter if they keep or exalt. But if there's no interest, I name them myself and put them in the AH. It might make them harder to sell at non-exalt prices, but at least I don't have to worry about the unnamed thing.
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[quote name="LordOmmadon" date="2014-11-06 17:41:40"]If they're that attached to it then they shouldn't sell the dragon in the first place.[/quote] Yep. So, what's the big deal, guys? Don't buy off forums if you don't want to deal with this. Buy off AH, then you can do whatever you want. PS, I have seen people say they will buy their dragon back rather than having it exalted, but have never seen anyone say they want their dragon back for free(unless it was a gift to start with)
LordOmmadon wrote on 2014-11-06 17:41:40:
If they're that attached to it then they shouldn't sell the dragon in the first place.

Yep.

So, what's the big deal, guys? Don't buy off forums if you don't want to deal with this.

Buy off AH, then you can do whatever you want.

PS, I have seen people say they will buy their dragon back rather than having it exalted, but have never seen anyone say they want their dragon back for free(unless it was a gift to start with)
crystal_sprite_raffle_by_kuripifire-d88cxm1.jpg
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13