Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | An Apology
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 49 50
-Make some clear rules about naming dragons.
-Give us a bloody list of allowed names.
-Remove ~banned~ names from the generator, then.
-Make some clear rules about naming dragons.
-Give us a bloody list of allowed names.
-Remove ~banned~ names from the generator, then.
ot0aco5.png
Pretty anything was said already. We have zombie dragons, skeletal dragons, dragons cut like a Japanese sushi roll, dragons with missing parts, even Emperors or their lookalikes (and it's just a couple of skins I can remember). We have familiars done by Frankenstein method (Nochnyrs). Our dragons eat pretty birds and lemmings for breakfast, like, chewing them alive maybe. We have the Emperor lore, not the fairytale one, really. And we have Plague flight and Shadow flight. So what's even the name problem?

I understand not naming the dragons something like f-word and other mostly banned on every site termins. I understand not naming the dragons "Hitler", okay too, though nothing offensive to me, but this nick is also banned on several sites. Okay.

But why shouldn't we use termins meaning "Death", "Dead", "Sacrifice", "Killed", etc.? It's part of lore. Lore clearly implies that dragons CAN die. And CAN be even transformed to a crazy bloody zombie hydra after death.

And yes, we're T-rating, 13+ here. Not babies or toddlers, not 6+ children. I've never ever seen a 13-year-old someone who didn't know about death.
Pretty anything was said already. We have zombie dragons, skeletal dragons, dragons cut like a Japanese sushi roll, dragons with missing parts, even Emperors or their lookalikes (and it's just a couple of skins I can remember). We have familiars done by Frankenstein method (Nochnyrs). Our dragons eat pretty birds and lemmings for breakfast, like, chewing them alive maybe. We have the Emperor lore, not the fairytale one, really. And we have Plague flight and Shadow flight. So what's even the name problem?

I understand not naming the dragons something like f-word and other mostly banned on every site termins. I understand not naming the dragons "Hitler", okay too, though nothing offensive to me, but this nick is also banned on several sites. Okay.

But why shouldn't we use termins meaning "Death", "Dead", "Sacrifice", "Killed", etc.? It's part of lore. Lore clearly implies that dragons CAN die. And CAN be even transformed to a crazy bloody zombie hydra after death.

And yes, we're T-rating, 13+ here. Not babies or toddlers, not 6+ children. I've never ever seen a 13-year-old someone who didn't know about death.
84480400.png
@Xhaztol:, @Undel: Historically, when a woman/man joined an order of nuns/monks, they would say their story once. Then they took a new name and for most purposes, the 'birth-named' person was dead.

Just because dragon names imply death...doesn't mean that someone sees them as dead. And then...where do you draw the line?

When I name my own dragons 'Sacrifice',and promptly send them off to Flamecaller it's because they're sacrificing their chance to have hatchlings, to have a 'standard' life. They're sacrificing themselves to Deity. Kind of like Jepethah's daughter? They're sacrificed to the Deity by becoming a nun/monk for the rest of their life. Or dedicated to deity by their parents in the case of hatchlings.

Also, how does Exalt imply death when canonically, Exalt DOES NOT mean your dragons are dead?

And there are certain slurs that won't register as slurs to others. Don't put banned names in the generator. If the generator had suggested the Maine cat breed's other half, I wouldn't know any better than to accept it. I'd think that was either short for the cat or short for racoon. And English is my first language. It's just that that term isn't used in British English, as far as I know.

I feel sorry for the non-native English speakers.

(Yes, I see my exalt fodder as nuns and monks.)
@Xhaztol:, @Undel: Historically, when a woman/man joined an order of nuns/monks, they would say their story once. Then they took a new name and for most purposes, the 'birth-named' person was dead.

Just because dragon names imply death...doesn't mean that someone sees them as dead. And then...where do you draw the line?

When I name my own dragons 'Sacrifice',and promptly send them off to Flamecaller it's because they're sacrificing their chance to have hatchlings, to have a 'standard' life. They're sacrificing themselves to Deity. Kind of like Jepethah's daughter? They're sacrificed to the Deity by becoming a nun/monk for the rest of their life. Or dedicated to deity by their parents in the case of hatchlings.

Also, how does Exalt imply death when canonically, Exalt DOES NOT mean your dragons are dead?

And there are certain slurs that won't register as slurs to others. Don't put banned names in the generator. If the generator had suggested the Maine cat breed's other half, I wouldn't know any better than to accept it. I'd think that was either short for the cat or short for racoon. And English is my first language. It's just that that term isn't used in British English, as far as I know.

I feel sorry for the non-native English speakers.

(Yes, I see my exalt fodder as nuns and monks.)
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
I was worried for a while since I have a dragon named Reaper, but JCStitches said it was okay :3
I understand there's a need to be on guard, I've taken a look around and seen quite a lot of name drama, but the banned names really aren't that vital. No need to apologize, you only reduced the infinite number of possible names by two or three words. Plenty of fish in the sea!

Clearly stated rules would certainly help a lot, tho.
I was worried for a while since I have a dragon named Reaper, but JCStitches said it was okay :3
I understand there's a need to be on guard, I've taken a look around and seen quite a lot of name drama, but the banned names really aren't that vital. No need to apologize, you only reduced the infinite number of possible names by two or three words. Plenty of fish in the sea!

Clearly stated rules would certainly help a lot, tho.
66MHIIb.png
I generally consider myself a pretty chill person, but it really does bother me to see so many harmless names banned. I give my dragons absolutely ridiculous names, and I love being able to do that. I understand that some folks consider it harassment to have their hatchlings named things like “mulch” and then exalted en masse (which I think is kind of a silly thing to get upset about, but...well, it takes all sorts), but the staff has gone about this in completely the wrong way.

Instead of playing whac-a-mole with banning names, which will only get more restrictive and more ridiculous over time, something needs to be done about the /problem/ needs to be addressed instead of the /symptom/. People don’t like their exalted dragons being named distasteful things? Don’t give them a choice! Auto re-name all exalts you didn’t breed. Auto-rename them to something related to the deity they are exalted to (droplet, blossom, flicker, ember etc.)

Mass exalters will be happy because they don’t have to spend extra time naming things. Sensitive players will be happy because their dragons won’t be named Snackrifice (which I personally think is a lovely name). Bam. Problem solved.
I generally consider myself a pretty chill person, but it really does bother me to see so many harmless names banned. I give my dragons absolutely ridiculous names, and I love being able to do that. I understand that some folks consider it harassment to have their hatchlings named things like “mulch” and then exalted en masse (which I think is kind of a silly thing to get upset about, but...well, it takes all sorts), but the staff has gone about this in completely the wrong way.

Instead of playing whac-a-mole with banning names, which will only get more restrictive and more ridiculous over time, something needs to be done about the /problem/ needs to be addressed instead of the /symptom/. People don’t like their exalted dragons being named distasteful things? Don’t give them a choice! Auto re-name all exalts you didn’t breed. Auto-rename them to something related to the deity they are exalted to (droplet, blossom, flicker, ember etc.)

Mass exalters will be happy because they don’t have to spend extra time naming things. Sensitive players will be happy because their dragons won’t be named Snackrifice (which I personally think is a lovely name). Bam. Problem solved.
@undel and @Xhaztol

I just want to say thank you. Thank you for creating this game, you all have put alot of hard work into this, and it shows with how much you devote your time to listening to everyone, praises, rants, raves and complaints.

The artwork is fantastic, and detailed, and the lore for the dragons is impressive, what with there being as many dragons there are, and then some, plus genes, items, apparel. The creativity by not only you but everyone who has joined this site has baffled me and impressed me to no end.

The sense of community this site has has far surpassed that of similar sites. I have never felt so welcomed in forums than I have on this game, and I am humbled and so appreciative of this.

I am also very impressed that with all the confusion and accusations and suggestions and outside drama, that you have come forward to apologise in the midst of all of this. I have never before been on a site where the admin teams would have done that, would have shown to the community as a WHOLE, that they are there, and that they DO listen, and take into consideration what everyone is saying. I appreciate this.

Thank you.
@undel and @Xhaztol

I just want to say thank you. Thank you for creating this game, you all have put alot of hard work into this, and it shows with how much you devote your time to listening to everyone, praises, rants, raves and complaints.

The artwork is fantastic, and detailed, and the lore for the dragons is impressive, what with there being as many dragons there are, and then some, plus genes, items, apparel. The creativity by not only you but everyone who has joined this site has baffled me and impressed me to no end.

The sense of community this site has has far surpassed that of similar sites. I have never felt so welcomed in forums than I have on this game, and I am humbled and so appreciative of this.

I am also very impressed that with all the confusion and accusations and suggestions and outside drama, that you have come forward to apologise in the midst of all of this. I have never before been on a site where the admin teams would have done that, would have shown to the community as a WHOLE, that they are there, and that they DO listen, and take into consideration what everyone is saying. I appreciate this.

Thank you.
fAtGWhQ.gif
Apology accepted, but some of the names that have been banned are ridiculous.

"Spook" used to be used as a slur, but I have never heard of it being used as such. I live in the south, so I hear slurs all the time. But "spook?" Now there are people on tumblr blowing up over it, and I would be willing to bet most of them have never, in real life, heard it used in that way.

So please try to be more realistic with the naming policies. Don't cave in to the demands of a vocal few.
Apology accepted, but some of the names that have been banned are ridiculous.

"Spook" used to be used as a slur, but I have never heard of it being used as such. I live in the south, so I hear slurs all the time. But "spook?" Now there are people on tumblr blowing up over it, and I would be willing to bet most of them have never, in real life, heard it used in that way.

So please try to be more realistic with the naming policies. Don't cave in to the demands of a vocal few.
yjJhTxB.pngdeepsea_sword.png
I really don't understand the policy that names "implying the death" of a dragon are no longer permitted. Overly violent names are one thing, but banning the very concept of death seems absurd.

I assume this is at least partly a response to the problem of new players freaking out over exalted dragons being "killed," but it is not the responsibility of the players to correct this misunderstanding of a critical site mechanic. Exalting should be better explained so that players can clearly see exalting is not meant to be a bad thing.

It's clear that complaints about the names of exalted offspring is an issue you want to correct, since the banning of names largely applies to those given primarily to exalted dragons. I understand wanting to address such a common concern, but banning names is the wrong way to go about it, since there will always be new ones for people to object to.

I think the best solutions to this problem are either:

-Hiding the offspring list by default and having a 'show children' button on the dragon's profile. That way players do not have to look at lists they find irritating or objectionable.

-Allowing players to change the names of the exalted children of their own dragons. Since the dragon is exalted and no longer belongs to any player it doesn't really matter what the dragon is named.
I really don't understand the policy that names "implying the death" of a dragon are no longer permitted. Overly violent names are one thing, but banning the very concept of death seems absurd.

I assume this is at least partly a response to the problem of new players freaking out over exalted dragons being "killed," but it is not the responsibility of the players to correct this misunderstanding of a critical site mechanic. Exalting should be better explained so that players can clearly see exalting is not meant to be a bad thing.

It's clear that complaints about the names of exalted offspring is an issue you want to correct, since the banning of names largely applies to those given primarily to exalted dragons. I understand wanting to address such a common concern, but banning names is the wrong way to go about it, since there will always be new ones for people to object to.

I think the best solutions to this problem are either:

-Hiding the offspring list by default and having a 'show children' button on the dragon's profile. That way players do not have to look at lists they find irritating or objectionable.

-Allowing players to change the names of the exalted children of their own dragons. Since the dragon is exalted and no longer belongs to any player it doesn't really matter what the dragon is named.
@Xhaztol and @undel, thank you for the apology. It's good to know that you guys know you swung too wide with this nameing thing, and that hopefully, you are now willing to try and fix it.

If I may point out one other thing with regards to this though.

I know that it is general policy of any site to not discuss account suspensions or closures of other users in the forums, and I'm not trying to get deeply into that here, but I do what to suggest that if you TRULY wish to make amends for the mistakes made in present and past about naming conventions, then you NEED to go over your records of any user accounts that have previously received bans or suspensions as a result of unfairly banned names, and grant pardons where needed.

Basically, if you REALLY want to make amends for this, make sure you don't continue punishing people who have ALREADY been punished for your mis-steps.
@Xhaztol and @undel, thank you for the apology. It's good to know that you guys know you swung too wide with this nameing thing, and that hopefully, you are now willing to try and fix it.

If I may point out one other thing with regards to this though.

I know that it is general policy of any site to not discuss account suspensions or closures of other users in the forums, and I'm not trying to get deeply into that here, but I do what to suggest that if you TRULY wish to make amends for the mistakes made in present and past about naming conventions, then you NEED to go over your records of any user accounts that have previously received bans or suspensions as a result of unfairly banned names, and grant pardons where needed.

Basically, if you REALLY want to make amends for this, make sure you don't continue punishing people who have ALREADY been punished for your mis-steps.
drpusig1_zpsjz7uct4m.pngwindright_zpsee23nxkw.png
Thank you for the apology. ^_^

Wow...I didn't even know all of this was going on.

I use your generator to get my names for my dragons. I guess I'm a little perplexed that names that should be banned/aren't okay for dragons would still be in this list. I'm very perplexed actually. I presume that this list, given to us by you guys, would be safe. I've read things that say we shouldn't presume that (and it's a presumption, not an assumption).

Now I'm seeing that we can't name any dragon anything death-related (although you're saying Reaper is fine...and Snackrifice isn't?). You guys are getting into territory that is much too subjective.

I can understand violent names not being allowed, of course, but I don't consider Death to be Violent. I consider Death to be...death. It's simply something that happens.

People have mentioned lore so I won't get into that. You guys made the lore though. You guys made the name generator. Does it still contain words that refer to Death? There are obviously some death-related names that are okay, but unless we take the time to ask specifically, we are unsure. (Most of us won't take that time...and I don't check to see if every name on your generator is safe too ((I presumed you did that.)).)

I think you guys are playing too much in the grey area. I think you either need to just ban some names and make it a blanket ban: No death-related names at all. Or you need to allow certain names.

This naming issue is the one of the BIGGEST problems this site has...and so much drama is simply amazingly stupid.

Your solution, your next big project, should be fixing this naming issue. I can't count, since I've been a member of this site, how many times I've seen naming issues arise, including names that are actually offensive, the unnamed dragon debate/debacle, and now names that aren't offensive being banned.

Are people being banned over this? Clearly you guys are not clear on what the Naming Policies on this site are exactly. I can see someone who has been consistently naming dragons offensive things (not triggering, but offensive) being banned, but...anything that's unclear in policy...is simply unclear in policy, which means something or someone needs to make it clear.

Again, thank you for the apology. It is appreciated. Please take our constructive criticism seriously.
Thank you for the apology. ^_^

Wow...I didn't even know all of this was going on.

I use your generator to get my names for my dragons. I guess I'm a little perplexed that names that should be banned/aren't okay for dragons would still be in this list. I'm very perplexed actually. I presume that this list, given to us by you guys, would be safe. I've read things that say we shouldn't presume that (and it's a presumption, not an assumption).

Now I'm seeing that we can't name any dragon anything death-related (although you're saying Reaper is fine...and Snackrifice isn't?). You guys are getting into territory that is much too subjective.

I can understand violent names not being allowed, of course, but I don't consider Death to be Violent. I consider Death to be...death. It's simply something that happens.

People have mentioned lore so I won't get into that. You guys made the lore though. You guys made the name generator. Does it still contain words that refer to Death? There are obviously some death-related names that are okay, but unless we take the time to ask specifically, we are unsure. (Most of us won't take that time...and I don't check to see if every name on your generator is safe too ((I presumed you did that.)).)

I think you guys are playing too much in the grey area. I think you either need to just ban some names and make it a blanket ban: No death-related names at all. Or you need to allow certain names.

This naming issue is the one of the BIGGEST problems this site has...and so much drama is simply amazingly stupid.

Your solution, your next big project, should be fixing this naming issue. I can't count, since I've been a member of this site, how many times I've seen naming issues arise, including names that are actually offensive, the unnamed dragon debate/debacle, and now names that aren't offensive being banned.

Are people being banned over this? Clearly you guys are not clear on what the Naming Policies on this site are exactly. I can see someone who has been consistently naming dragons offensive things (not triggering, but offensive) being banned, but...anything that's unclear in policy...is simply unclear in policy, which means something or someone needs to make it clear.

Again, thank you for the apology. It is appreciated. Please take our constructive criticism seriously.
turlesdragonplushie.pngkahlannightwing.pnghatcherymini.jpgSubbmKc.pngturlesdragonplushie2.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 49 50