Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | BEARS!
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
@ArielMew
Tigers might have been really cool, actually. Or just a series of different wild cats fantastically themed to the different flights. We have no tigers currently; we did already have a bear (and will now have 11 more). Ah well.
@ArielMew
Tigers might have been really cool, actually. Or just a series of different wild cats fantastically themed to the different flights. We have no tigers currently; we did already have a bear (and will now have 11 more). Ah well.
Athena_456623_ID_Signature.png
@Ilium

Well, the Warcats are based on He-Man's pet tiger, so I think they'd half-count.
@Ilium

Well, the Warcats are based on He-Man's pet tiger, so I think they'd half-count.
ZSHaQMJ.gif
vDmNeIH.png
Why all the bear hate?
Why all the bear hate?
I don't understand all of the hate, he is so cute =)
I do like matchy things though so Imps would have been pretty cool too, now if only I could get hold of a light sprite again so I can have all of last years holiday familiars too =)
I don't understand all of the hate, he is so cute =)
I do like matchy things though so Imps would have been pretty cool too, now if only I could get hold of a light sprite again so I can have all of last years holiday familiars too =)
Everyone just needs to imagine each of the sprites riding their respective bear
Everyone just needs to imagine each of the sprites riding their respective bear
The theme could be pretty neat if the devs used animals that are "bears" but really aren't bears to spice things up. Like I'd love a red panda which is also called a cat-bear and could be great with Fire or Wind's imagery. And it's been mentioned in this thread already but wow I hope the water bear is an actual Water Bear (it looks more like a Plague creature than a Water creature but we can't let that pun go to waste)
The theme could be pretty neat if the devs used animals that are "bears" but really aren't bears to spice things up. Like I'd love a red panda which is also called a cat-bear and could be great with Fire or Wind's imagery. And it's been mentioned in this thread already but wow I hope the water bear is an actual Water Bear (it looks more like a Plague creature than a Water creature but we can't let that pun go to waste)
Sorry to say, but I'm one of the (many) people disappointed with the choice of the Bears. :/

Hear me out though. I have my reasons.

1. It seemed to me to be the 'joke' option in the poll as well. The one that even Undel didn't take seriously. And I legitimately cannot understand how it was so popular a choice, save for because it was so obviously a joke option. Bears are neat and all, I personally do like Bears, but for so many to jump on the ALL CAPS BEAR WAGON, all I can see is that most of those voters were doing it for 'the lolz'.

2. The Light Bear is wonderfully crafted; It looks like a very nice, realistic but still in the site style Bear, and kudos to the artists for it. But the Light elements of it don't mesh. And this leads to my biggest problem with the Bears.

I can't see how Bears fit in with Flight Rising lore wise. Why is the great and humble Bear, of any and all animals, suddenly so important as to be included in the entourages of our various Deities? Where is the connection? All of the other options in the poll had some feasible connection with the fantasy feel and stylings of the site as a whole. Spiritual or elemental creatures, or some connection to Dragon-kind. But Bears? WHY BEARS?

And, looking at this Bear, I'm not really expecting much, in the months to come? They probably won't be all big, bulky, Grizzly types, I'm sure the artists will take into account different species of Bears at least, but if they all come out as a base, natural Bear with some random Flight aspects slapped on via fins/frills/protrusions and glowy spots, then sorry, you will never sell me on these Bears. :/

Honestly, I think a little bit of inclusion of elements of other poll options would have made Bears better, lore wise and user popularity wise both. Why couldn't they have been Elemental Bears? Fierce spiritual guardians of the Deities that could be made to order for the Flight style, rather then the heavy, physical one we got? The Light Bear could have been a glowy, incorporeal beast of sparkling badassery. The Water Bear could have born down as a part of a great wave of water, roaring as a protector of prophesy. The Wind Bear could have been slight and wispy and could curl around through groves of bamboo. The Shadow Bear could have been seeping out from a shadow on the wall, looking over someone else's shoulder to help you cheat at your game better.

With Bears that appear to be styled as normal, physical Bears that simply have elements of their Flight grafted to them, these all seem like lost possibilities that could have been used to help to unite the user-base around the idea of them, rather then drive them into the "I love it" and "I hate it" camps... Le sigh.
Sorry to say, but I'm one of the (many) people disappointed with the choice of the Bears. :/

Hear me out though. I have my reasons.

1. It seemed to me to be the 'joke' option in the poll as well. The one that even Undel didn't take seriously. And I legitimately cannot understand how it was so popular a choice, save for because it was so obviously a joke option. Bears are neat and all, I personally do like Bears, but for so many to jump on the ALL CAPS BEAR WAGON, all I can see is that most of those voters were doing it for 'the lolz'.

2. The Light Bear is wonderfully crafted; It looks like a very nice, realistic but still in the site style Bear, and kudos to the artists for it. But the Light elements of it don't mesh. And this leads to my biggest problem with the Bears.

I can't see how Bears fit in with Flight Rising lore wise. Why is the great and humble Bear, of any and all animals, suddenly so important as to be included in the entourages of our various Deities? Where is the connection? All of the other options in the poll had some feasible connection with the fantasy feel and stylings of the site as a whole. Spiritual or elemental creatures, or some connection to Dragon-kind. But Bears? WHY BEARS?

And, looking at this Bear, I'm not really expecting much, in the months to come? They probably won't be all big, bulky, Grizzly types, I'm sure the artists will take into account different species of Bears at least, but if they all come out as a base, natural Bear with some random Flight aspects slapped on via fins/frills/protrusions and glowy spots, then sorry, you will never sell me on these Bears. :/

Honestly, I think a little bit of inclusion of elements of other poll options would have made Bears better, lore wise and user popularity wise both. Why couldn't they have been Elemental Bears? Fierce spiritual guardians of the Deities that could be made to order for the Flight style, rather then the heavy, physical one we got? The Light Bear could have been a glowy, incorporeal beast of sparkling badassery. The Water Bear could have born down as a part of a great wave of water, roaring as a protector of prophesy. The Wind Bear could have been slight and wispy and could curl around through groves of bamboo. The Shadow Bear could have been seeping out from a shadow on the wall, looking over someone else's shoulder to help you cheat at your game better.

With Bears that appear to be styled as normal, physical Bears that simply have elements of their Flight grafted to them, these all seem like lost possibilities that could have been used to help to unite the user-base around the idea of them, rather then drive them into the "I love it" and "I hate it" camps... Le sigh.
drpusig1_zpsjz7uct4m.pngwindright_zpsee23nxkw.png
@Scyther

A combination of egocentrism, ungratefulness and the vocal minority phenomenon.

I really wish they'd take it to the anti-bear thread where we don't have to see it. Seriously, there's a time and a place for uproar - major changes that negatively impact gameplay, new rules that pop up out of nowhere, etc - but not personally liking a new familiar? Please. Disappointment is fine; badmouthing the artists and voters is not.

(And yes, I'd still feel this way if I didn't like the bears or another option won the vote. I'm not keen on the humanoid/anthropomorphic familiars with clothes and civilisations, but I'm still lobbying for the addition of the Surge Priest as a familiar. Because I am not the only person on FR.)
@Scyther

A combination of egocentrism, ungratefulness and the vocal minority phenomenon.

I really wish they'd take it to the anti-bear thread where we don't have to see it. Seriously, there's a time and a place for uproar - major changes that negatively impact gameplay, new rules that pop up out of nowhere, etc - but not personally liking a new familiar? Please. Disappointment is fine; badmouthing the artists and voters is not.

(And yes, I'd still feel this way if I didn't like the bears or another option won the vote. I'm not keen on the humanoid/anthropomorphic familiars with clothes and civilisations, but I'm still lobbying for the addition of the Surge Priest as a familiar. Because I am not the only person on FR.)
ZSHaQMJ.gif
vDmNeIH.png
@Dragonpuff A+
@Dragonpuff A+
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
BEAR!
BEAR!
qPUMNWy.png
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24