Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Opposite Flights
1 2 3 4
Earth v. Air (home versus travel)
Fire v. Water (tbh this one is just the elements themselves)
Shadow v. Light (obfuscation versus truthseeking)
Nature v. Plague (growth versus cull)

and

Ice v. Lightning. Ice is solid, cold, slow and unchanging, and the Icewarden is concerned with preservation. Lightning is hot, fast, intangible and brief, and the Stormcatcher is concerned with innovation.

Arcanist is all alone because he's kind of unnatural. (arcane v. shade?)
Earth v. Air (home versus travel)
Fire v. Water (tbh this one is just the elements themselves)
Shadow v. Light (obfuscation versus truthseeking)
Nature v. Plague (growth versus cull)

and

Ice v. Lightning. Ice is solid, cold, slow and unchanging, and the Icewarden is concerned with preservation. Lightning is hot, fast, intangible and brief, and the Stormcatcher is concerned with innovation.

Arcanist is all alone because he's kind of unnatural. (arcane v. shade?)
2nld4k6.jpg
please ping me to get my attention!
@Inkdeer this makes sooo much sense, plus you gave me an idea for a shade dragon.
Thank You!
@Inkdeer this makes sooo much sense, plus you gave me an idea for a shade dragon.
Thank You!
Ahem, we are magic AND the unknown. It's kinda interchangeable but I believe they are both important to point out.
Ahem, we are magic AND the unknown. It's kinda interchangeable but I believe they are both important to point out.
Candies.gif
I can't say much about other flights since I don't fight as much in the coliseum without Nature dragons, but:

Nature vs. Plague (Assimilate/Infest vs. Overgrow/Overwhelm, Growth vs. Decay)

Nature vs. Light (Wilderness/Instinct vs. Enlightenment/Reason)

Nature vs. Arcane (Mystery/Instinct vs. Knowledge)

Most of the elemental matchups not relating to primary opposing forces could boil down to lore. Nature is typically linked to instinct and the wilderness, as well as things that must be investigated to be understood. If you consider that, Arcane and Light are both flights revolving around philosophy, reason, and knowledge. Nature doesn't generally rely on any of these to function.

This is mostly speculation though. I'm sure Arcane is opposed to Nature via an abstract concept, but I'm less sure how to put that into words.
I can't say much about other flights since I don't fight as much in the coliseum without Nature dragons, but:

Nature vs. Plague (Assimilate/Infest vs. Overgrow/Overwhelm, Growth vs. Decay)

Nature vs. Light (Wilderness/Instinct vs. Enlightenment/Reason)

Nature vs. Arcane (Mystery/Instinct vs. Knowledge)

Most of the elemental matchups not relating to primary opposing forces could boil down to lore. Nature is typically linked to instinct and the wilderness, as well as things that must be investigated to be understood. If you consider that, Arcane and Light are both flights revolving around philosophy, reason, and knowledge. Nature doesn't generally rely on any of these to function.

This is mostly speculation though. I'm sure Arcane is opposed to Nature via an abstract concept, but I'm less sure how to put that into words.
FfsFHyt.png
Sorry if this was put here before, but..

Earth V.S. Fire (Battle of Earthshaker and Flamecaller in the first age)

Wind V.S. Water (Battle of Windsinger and Tidelord in the first age)

Lightning V.S. Ice (Lightning is hot and fast and likes new stuff, Ice is cold and slow and preserves stuff)

Shadow V.S. Light (Darkness/Light duality, obviously)

Nature V.S. Plague (Growth/Decay, Life/Death, etc. Also they battled in the third age.)

Arcane V.S. No one? Or the Shade! (Arcane is rivals to no one but I'm sure Arcanist would've been quite horrified to see the Shade show up)
Sorry if this was put here before, but..

Earth V.S. Fire (Battle of Earthshaker and Flamecaller in the first age)

Wind V.S. Water (Battle of Windsinger and Tidelord in the first age)

Lightning V.S. Ice (Lightning is hot and fast and likes new stuff, Ice is cold and slow and preserves stuff)

Shadow V.S. Light (Darkness/Light duality, obviously)

Nature V.S. Plague (Growth/Decay, Life/Death, etc. Also they battled in the third age.)

Arcane V.S. No one? Or the Shade! (Arcane is rivals to no one but I'm sure Arcanist would've been quite horrified to see the Shade show up)
deity_gladekeeper_by_dogi_crimson-dabusrb.gifnature_0.pngnature_1.png9p.png
i see it like this

earth/wind
water/fire
shadow/light
nature/plague

and then 3 flights that arent opposites:
arcane
lightning
ice
i see it like this

earth/wind
water/fire
shadow/light
nature/plague

and then 3 flights that arent opposites:
arcane
lightning
ice
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
@ViperaUnion Nature and Plague being the opposites is pretty hardcoded. The Plaguebringer and Gladekeeper are sister goddesses in the sense that they formed at the same time and spent most of an era quarrelling with each other alone, with no other gods interfering in their campaign of growth and destruction. The rivalry and distrust between the two flights is possibly the most played-up inter-flight skirmish in official lore.

I think the Arcanist is the odd god out, and agree with Inkdeer's assessment. And Water is definitely Fire's opposite - elements, passion versus careful assessment of the future, and mostly because they were, like wind and earth, among the four original clashing gods. (In terms of philosophy, Water and Wind have a fair amount of clash, but Wind and Earth have a better dynamic - revering the ancestors and looking to the past vs living in the moment.)
@ViperaUnion Nature and Plague being the opposites is pretty hardcoded. The Plaguebringer and Gladekeeper are sister goddesses in the sense that they formed at the same time and spent most of an era quarrelling with each other alone, with no other gods interfering in their campaign of growth and destruction. The rivalry and distrust between the two flights is possibly the most played-up inter-flight skirmish in official lore.

I think the Arcanist is the odd god out, and agree with Inkdeer's assessment. And Water is definitely Fire's opposite - elements, passion versus careful assessment of the future, and mostly because they were, like wind and earth, among the four original clashing gods. (In terms of philosophy, Water and Wind have a fair amount of clash, but Wind and Earth have a better dynamic - revering the ancestors and looking to the past vs living in the moment.)
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
I see it as this:
Earth vs Fire
Water vs Wind
Lightning vs Ice
Light vs Shadow
Nature vs Plague

and Arcane is neutral.
I see it as this:
Earth vs Fire
Water vs Wind
Lightning vs Ice
Light vs Shadow
Nature vs Plague

and Arcane is neutral.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
Flights don't have single opposites they oppose each other for different reasons

Earth:
Earth vs Fire, old and permanent vs new and changing
Earth vs Wind, staying home vs travelling freely
Earth vs Water, remember the past vs prepare for the future
----
Earth vs Ice, emotional reverence of the past vs analytical observation of it
Earth vs Arcane, old vs new, planet vs space, permanence vs change, known vs unknown

Wind:
Wind vs Fire, carefree and fun vs serious and industrial
Wind vs Water, present enjoyment vs future worry
----
Wind vs Ice, fun centered inside oneself vs emotionless centered outside

Water:
Water vs Fire, reclusiveness vs expansion, subtle implication vs blunt directness

Nature:
Nature vs Plague, clean vs filth, life vs death, health vs sickness, abundance vs scarcity (these two are the oppositest lol)
Nature vs Arcane, expansion of life on the planet vs exploration of space beyond the planet
Nature vs Lightning, literally natural vs technological

Plague:
Plague vs Lightning, adaptation to environment vs adaptation of environment

Light:
Light vs Shadow, mystery vs enlightnenment
Light vs Lightning, seeking knowledge vs applying knowledge

random examples u could write one for every pairing
Flights don't have single opposites they oppose each other for different reasons

Earth:
Earth vs Fire, old and permanent vs new and changing
Earth vs Wind, staying home vs travelling freely
Earth vs Water, remember the past vs prepare for the future
----
Earth vs Ice, emotional reverence of the past vs analytical observation of it
Earth vs Arcane, old vs new, planet vs space, permanence vs change, known vs unknown

Wind:
Wind vs Fire, carefree and fun vs serious and industrial
Wind vs Water, present enjoyment vs future worry
----
Wind vs Ice, fun centered inside oneself vs emotionless centered outside

Water:
Water vs Fire, reclusiveness vs expansion, subtle implication vs blunt directness

Nature:
Nature vs Plague, clean vs filth, life vs death, health vs sickness, abundance vs scarcity (these two are the oppositest lol)
Nature vs Arcane, expansion of life on the planet vs exploration of space beyond the planet
Nature vs Lightning, literally natural vs technological

Plague:
Plague vs Lightning, adaptation to environment vs adaptation of environment

Light:
Light vs Shadow, mystery vs enlightnenment
Light vs Lightning, seeking knowledge vs applying knowledge

random examples u could write one for every pairing
1 2 3 4