Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Flight Rising is BEES
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20
Bees perfected communication via interpretive dance.

The rest of the world can learn a thing or two from them.
Bees perfected communication via interpretive dance.

The rest of the world can learn a thing or two from them.
flightsignature_zps6e7f1755.gif
[quote name="Dragoness" date="2013-12-21 11:20:12"][quote name="Amalythia" date="2013-12-21 11:18:40"]This is unlike wasps that will generally chase a victim down for as long as it takes.[/quote] This is the most terrifying statement I have read all day ;.;[/quote] Wasps are horrible, horrible creatures. I hate them and mosquitoes more than I probably should. (warning: more bug talk below. Fairly warned, be ye who do not like bugs!) If anyone lives on the east coast or temperate climes - The common house centipede - one of the freakiest looking bugs you can find in your house (if you are scared of bugs, do not google!) - are also insectivores. They're like a natural solution to things like ants, wasps, fleas, cockroaches, AND mosquitoes. They use venom and also a technique where they wrap all their legs around their prey. So if you have problems in your area with wasps or ants and you happen to see a centipede around, the centipede bro will help take care of the issue as a natural predator that is generally harmless to humans and pets, unlike pesticides. I know people kill'em because they are scary looking, but I always tell people to slow their roll and let a centipede bro work. ...uh. Oh. I got a little carried away. Thank you for subscribing to bug facts and listening to me ramble while I hunt for bumbles.
Dragoness wrote on 2013-12-21 11:20:12:
Amalythia wrote on 2013-12-21 11:18:40:
This is unlike wasps that will generally chase a victim down for as long as it takes.

This is the most terrifying statement I have read all day ;.;

Wasps are horrible, horrible creatures. I hate them and mosquitoes more than I probably should.

(warning: more bug talk below. Fairly warned, be ye who do not like bugs!)

If anyone lives on the east coast or temperate climes -

The common house centipede - one of the freakiest looking bugs you can find in your house (if you are scared of bugs, do not google!) - are also insectivores. They're like a natural solution to things like ants, wasps, fleas, cockroaches, AND mosquitoes. They use venom and also a technique where they wrap all their legs around their prey.

So if you have problems in your area with wasps or ants and you happen to see a centipede around, the centipede bro will help take care of the issue as a natural predator that is generally harmless to humans and pets, unlike pesticides. I know people kill'em because they are scary looking, but I always tell people to slow their roll and let a centipede bro work.

...uh. Oh. I got a little carried away.

Thank you for subscribing to bug facts and listening to me ramble while I hunt for bumbles.

@Amalythia

Insects are terrible kill them all.
Except praying mantis. Mantis are ok in my book yo.

And spiders even though not insect.

@Amalythia

Insects are terrible kill them all.
Except praying mantis. Mantis are ok in my book yo.

And spiders even though not insect.
I'm very blunt and straightforward.
Yes, I never use any vistas.

For ease of access: She/Her.

Also I hoard the hyena familiars.
Bee-keeping tundra dragons.
I have never seen a more perfect dragon breed/familiar match.
Bee-keeping tundra dragons.
I have never seen a more perfect dragon breed/familiar match.
tumblr_inline_n6kdukB9pN1qlye38.gif
Glory to the Gladekeeper
Wasps and hornets are nice... Wasps will eat all the flies but not bother you unless you literally go and poke a hole in their nest. Bumblebees are nice, too. But honeybees are vicious beings.
Wasps and hornets are nice... Wasps will eat all the flies but not bother you unless you literally go and poke a hole in their nest. Bumblebees are nice, too. But honeybees are vicious beings.
D: Honeybees are sweet creatures. So are Bumbles.
When I was a liiiiittle little little girl, I would go out in my yard and catch bees in my bare hands. Both Honey and Bumble. It took me a few weeks before one finally stung me xD
D: Honeybees are sweet creatures. So are Bumbles.
When I was a liiiiittle little little girl, I would go out in my yard and catch bees in my bare hands. Both Honey and Bumble. It took me a few weeks before one finally stung me xD
TOW2n3q.png
@Bowno: People usually look at me as if I were crazy when I throw wasps and hornets out with my bare hands (I have a hornet-nest under my roof somewhere, that's why they end up inside). Bumblebees I can pick up, too, although it happens less rarely that they end up inside. You can basically go and lightly stroke one that is sitting on a flower, and she will only raise her middle leg and wave at you, "don't bother me, I'm busy!".

I also used to save bees from drowning (they go to drink water during hot days, and fall in). But it doesn't change my statement that they are vicious. I have been stung by a wasp three times, by a hornet once (...never swat at something before looking what it is), I think I have never been stung by a bumblebee, but I can't even begin to count how many times I have been stung by bees. Used to be two-three dozen times each summer when I was a child, less often now that I am an adult.

(Well, I've heard some honeybees are less aggressive than others, but I have been attacked without any tangible reason when good three hundred meters away from a hive. )
@Bowno: People usually look at me as if I were crazy when I throw wasps and hornets out with my bare hands (I have a hornet-nest under my roof somewhere, that's why they end up inside). Bumblebees I can pick up, too, although it happens less rarely that they end up inside. You can basically go and lightly stroke one that is sitting on a flower, and she will only raise her middle leg and wave at you, "don't bother me, I'm busy!".

I also used to save bees from drowning (they go to drink water during hot days, and fall in). But it doesn't change my statement that they are vicious. I have been stung by a wasp three times, by a hornet once (...never swat at something before looking what it is), I think I have never been stung by a bumblebee, but I can't even begin to count how many times I have been stung by bees. Used to be two-three dozen times each summer when I was a child, less often now that I am an adult.

(Well, I've heard some honeybees are less aggressive than others, but I have been attacked without any tangible reason when good three hundred meters away from a hive. )
I don't mind the big fuzzy bumbles. Wasps and hornets and yellow jackets can all go to hell though. I didn't know the house centipedes helped kill them! Interesting read and interesting information - thanks @Amalythia!
I don't mind the big fuzzy bumbles. Wasps and hornets and yellow jackets can all go to hell though. I didn't know the house centipedes helped kill them! Interesting read and interesting information - thanks @Amalythia!
I don't mind bees and their relatives that much. Usually in summer we put up a shallow dish with sugar water in the backyard and that keeps them away from the "human area" where we are around in summer. It helps also greatly when we have dinner outside since the bees/wasps etc. rather go to the sugar water then to our food.

I personally adore bumblebees, they are so fuzzy and gentle, and really don't mind when you pet them when they drink. So cute and fuzzy! Often we have stray bumblebees in our house but since you can just grab then it is not as a hassle as with bees and wasps, for them I have to use the handkerchief and glass variant D:

Also I am glad I got rather fast the 2 familiars from the coli.
I don't mind bees and their relatives that much. Usually in summer we put up a shallow dish with sugar water in the backyard and that keeps them away from the "human area" where we are around in summer. It helps also greatly when we have dinner outside since the bees/wasps etc. rather go to the sugar water then to our food.

I personally adore bumblebees, they are so fuzzy and gentle, and really don't mind when you pet them when they drink. So cute and fuzzy! Often we have stray bumblebees in our house but since you can just grab then it is not as a hassle as with bees and wasps, for them I have to use the handkerchief and glass variant D:

Also I am glad I got rather fast the 2 familiars from the coli.
m5kNycY.pngFMdbyfP.pnge3svukl.pngLSkUnqX.png
You guys really have a horrible bias against wasps, huh? They're not that bad, honestly. I've fed them by hand and caught them by hand. They're pollinators and predators of pest insects.
You guys really have a horrible bias against wasps, huh? They're not that bad, honestly. I've fed them by hand and caught them by hand. They're pollinators and predators of pest insects.
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 20