Back

Forum Games

Play word and forum games here.
TOPIC | Merchant Square Mafia - Sign-ups (CLOSE)
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
@Fil
Friday looks good for me! Will there be a ping for when the game starts or should I just check in by morning of FR time?
@Fil
Friday looks good for me! Will there be a ping for when the game starts or should I just check in by morning of FR time?
VVuEqNG.png
YhyeOBo.png
RvFC1IJ.png
@Fil Friday sounds good
@Fil Friday sounds good
tumblr_oujvn28ZjA1uxu4o6o1_250.gif
@StormDreamer
I wouldn't recommend that, buddy! If you show off your face too much, you might just find that you don't have a face anymore! And believe me, that's much less fun than it sounds!

@SilverNight104
Awesome! I'll put you down :3

It's always good to lynch D1, unless people are planning on lynching you. You're at least 90% guaranteed to mislynch on D1, but... If you're scum that's what you're aiming for anyway, and if you're town you can look to see who pushed for the lynch the most. The main point of a D1 lynch for town is to gather as much information as possible, and for mafia it's a chance to get in an extra kill which is good because as mafia you should never waste the opportunity to kill. Not lynching only slows down the game, making it less enjoyable for everyone.
@StormDreamer
I wouldn't recommend that, buddy! If you show off your face too much, you might just find that you don't have a face anymore! And believe me, that's much less fun than it sounds!

@SilverNight104
Awesome! I'll put you down :3

It's always good to lynch D1, unless people are planning on lynching you. You're at least 90% guaranteed to mislynch on D1, but... If you're scum that's what you're aiming for anyway, and if you're town you can look to see who pushed for the lynch the most. The main point of a D1 lynch for town is to gather as much information as possible, and for mafia it's a chance to get in an extra kill which is good because as mafia you should never waste the opportunity to kill. Not lynching only slows down the game, making it less enjoyable for everyone.
lWvX6Aw.pngsz7fHQI.png participation_badge_by_kaykitty1405-dazky1b.png
@Fil
Friday is totally fine with me!

@SilverNight104
...I see you discussing strategy in mafia games and I thought I'd share some helpful tidbits myself.

So like, I guess lynching D1 is good and all, but I always feel bad about it, especially in role madness games because that means there's a perfectly good ability that the mod made that doesn't get used.

However, the thing you should fear the most are night kills. They're totally unexpected and on one hand they're flattering because, oh man, the mafia deemed you enough of a threat to kill you, thanks for that confidence booster. On the other hand, after getting night killed enough you just start getting frustrated and angry because dying N1 sucks and you don't really get to scum hunt.

*clears throat and looks away*
Anyways... somethings I've noticed that scum does that you should probably look out for.
  • Sometimes they decide to help out their fellow scum by saying something along the lines of, "Even if they are scum, we should leave them alive because they could let something slip and we can get more information out of them." Total scum move. Anyone that says that is automatically scum. 100% guaranteed.
  • A bit more tentative, but if they're hesitant to lynch someone then they're definitely worth looking into. Sometimes they make a promise that they'll lynch later in the day and they never do. If the one being lynched flips scum, then there's a good chance the person that didn't vote is also scum.
  • Sheeping is also a good indicator of being scum. However, it varies from person to person. If someone's new then they have a higher tendency to sheep, so that's not a good indicator of scum or not, but you should always be suspicious. Although, if a person is a veteran and places a vote without saying anything, then there's a better chance that they're mafia.

That's about all I've got. OTL you probably already knew some of this stuff since you've read through a bunch of games already.
@Fil
Friday is totally fine with me!

@SilverNight104
...I see you discussing strategy in mafia games and I thought I'd share some helpful tidbits myself.

So like, I guess lynching D1 is good and all, but I always feel bad about it, especially in role madness games because that means there's a perfectly good ability that the mod made that doesn't get used.

However, the thing you should fear the most are night kills. They're totally unexpected and on one hand they're flattering because, oh man, the mafia deemed you enough of a threat to kill you, thanks for that confidence booster. On the other hand, after getting night killed enough you just start getting frustrated and angry because dying N1 sucks and you don't really get to scum hunt.

*clears throat and looks away*
Anyways... somethings I've noticed that scum does that you should probably look out for.
  • Sometimes they decide to help out their fellow scum by saying something along the lines of, "Even if they are scum, we should leave them alive because they could let something slip and we can get more information out of them." Total scum move. Anyone that says that is automatically scum. 100% guaranteed.
  • A bit more tentative, but if they're hesitant to lynch someone then they're definitely worth looking into. Sometimes they make a promise that they'll lynch later in the day and they never do. If the one being lynched flips scum, then there's a good chance the person that didn't vote is also scum.
  • Sheeping is also a good indicator of being scum. However, it varies from person to person. If someone's new then they have a higher tendency to sheep, so that's not a good indicator of scum or not, but you should always be suspicious. Although, if a person is a veteran and places a vote without saying anything, then there's a better chance that they're mafia.

That's about all I've got. OTL you probably already knew some of this stuff since you've read through a bunch of games already.
First, can I just say that I'm very flattered honored that three experienced maf players noticed me and are taking the time to discuss strategies with me?

@luxmold

Okay, back to actual mafia stuff. Still very flattered though.

It's actually interesting to see differing opinions on lynching people. Kind of refreshing, to be honest.

I was kind of unsure about it, since you can get mafia (pretty low chance, but meh) but if you end up lynching town, then that's one person down for you, especially if you got a power role.

Oh yeah, I'm kind of nervous about NKs, since I don't know if I get to survive till day 2, let alone night 1. I'm so going to have to practice psychology.

Oh, that's helpful! So from that, I'm guessing you've gotten pretty good at scumreading? It's something that I don't really get yet, despite knowing some theory, so I guess I'll have to get into the game and try to apply as it goes along.

Another thing: Is mafia a Lightning thing or something? The IMH hub is hosted by a Lightning member, and a lot of the members in mafia I recognize from the Lightning forums. Plus one of the Halloween events was a mafia.
First, can I just say that I'm very flattered honored that three experienced maf players noticed me and are taking the time to discuss strategies with me?

@luxmold

Okay, back to actual mafia stuff. Still very flattered though.

It's actually interesting to see differing opinions on lynching people. Kind of refreshing, to be honest.

I was kind of unsure about it, since you can get mafia (pretty low chance, but meh) but if you end up lynching town, then that's one person down for you, especially if you got a power role.

Oh yeah, I'm kind of nervous about NKs, since I don't know if I get to survive till day 2, let alone night 1. I'm so going to have to practice psychology.

Oh, that's helpful! So from that, I'm guessing you've gotten pretty good at scumreading? It's something that I don't really get yet, despite knowing some theory, so I guess I'll have to get into the game and try to apply as it goes along.

Another thing: Is mafia a Lightning thing or something? The IMH hub is hosted by a Lightning member, and a lot of the members in mafia I recognize from the Lightning forums. Plus one of the Halloween events was a mafia.
2rHLxZD.png
@Fil

Friday sounds good
@Fil

Friday sounds good
CLICK THIS FOR BEUATY
infp | chaotic neutral | pisces | slytherin

ImLwTCX.png
@SilverNight104
Mafia isn't particularly a Lightning thing, I think people in lightning are just naturally more inclined to like mafia than those of other flights. Flights are meant to be organised by personality, after all. I hadn't noticed that before you mentioned it though, it's rather interesting to consider~ ^_^
@SilverNight104
Mafia isn't particularly a Lightning thing, I think people in lightning are just naturally more inclined to like mafia than those of other flights. Flights are meant to be organised by personality, after all. I hadn't noticed that before you mentioned it though, it's rather interesting to consider~ ^_^
@Nerasis

Oh, that's true! I guess some of who like science also like the thrill of mafia, so that does explain the presence of quite a few of us sparks.

Normally, is it a good idea to crumb early in the game? I figure it saves you from a lynch, but then doesn't it make you a target for NKs?
@Nerasis

Oh, that's true! I guess some of who like science also like the thrill of mafia, so that does explain the presence of quite a few of us sparks.

Normally, is it a good idea to crumb early in the game? I figure it saves you from a lynch, but then doesn't it make you a target for NKs?
2rHLxZD.png
@SilverNight104
Only crumb early on if you're something like a miller, a townie who shows up as mafia. You can also try to crumb early if you're a neutral survivor type role, to let people know that there's no benefit to either side if they kill you... Or if you're something crazy like a jester and are aiming to cause confusion.

Something that can work - if you have the skill - is if you're mafia and you crumb a PR to use as a cover role. Even if people don't entirely buy it, it still makes them not want to lynch you as much. Generally it's safer to just claim vanilla townie when you're maf since there's much less risk involved.

And, well... If you're actually a vanilla townie, you don't have much to lose by crumbing. Depending on the skill of the mafia in the game, though, the mafia can potentially figure out the town PRs if too many vanillas claim.

In general, though, it's best to avoid crumbing until you are under scrutiny, and avoid claiming until it gets to the point where you'd die if you didn't.
@SilverNight104
Only crumb early on if you're something like a miller, a townie who shows up as mafia. You can also try to crumb early if you're a neutral survivor type role, to let people know that there's no benefit to either side if they kill you... Or if you're something crazy like a jester and are aiming to cause confusion.

Something that can work - if you have the skill - is if you're mafia and you crumb a PR to use as a cover role. Even if people don't entirely buy it, it still makes them not want to lynch you as much. Generally it's safer to just claim vanilla townie when you're maf since there's much less risk involved.

And, well... If you're actually a vanilla townie, you don't have much to lose by crumbing. Depending on the skill of the mafia in the game, though, the mafia can potentially figure out the town PRs if too many vanillas claim.

In general, though, it's best to avoid crumbing until you are under scrutiny, and avoid claiming until it gets to the point where you'd die if you didn't.
@Nerasis

Thanks for the explanation! I don't have any more questions right now, but I might ping you again if I remember any more.

Thanks so much for explaining this, by the way! I'm grateful that you're willing to help me.
@Nerasis

Thanks for the explanation! I don't have any more questions right now, but I might ping you again if I remember any more.

Thanks so much for explaining this, by the way! I'm grateful that you're willing to help me.
2rHLxZD.png
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12