Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Briar's art share (pause)
1 2 3
small header because i wasn't intending for this to be an actual, updated thread but hey there this is where im going to post my digital art that i draw with a mouse in microsoft paint. it is unlikely my specs will change any time in the future but if i decide to start working with textures and brushes once again all of my art will still be drawn in paint with aditional "rendering" elsewhere. i have experience drawing prior to this, i've been doing art in a hobbyist manner since i was a child but have taken a large break from both digital and traditional and my skills are rusty. so not a beginner but not at a level of skill or polish if i was continuously making art for all those years. any art older than what is posted here is either lost to time or hidden on an account i no longer have access to (please never give another individual your account ever... this is not related to what i just said *sweats*) so any progress will have to be judged in the here and now (traditional art i still have im just not interested in cataloguing it because it doesn't photograph well). im looking forward to drawing just for fun, i don't know if anything here may interest you but i appreciate anyone stopping by even still! --------------- original first post: im going to embarrass the everloving snot out of myself for this one and it doesn't even remotely resemble the idea i had in my head but screw it i opened up paint for the first time in like 5 or more years and cranked this out in about a half hour. briar the dragon who i was planning to give an extra set of horns and more brambles wrapping around their wing but i colored the back wing black and didn't want to go back and mess with that. im horrificaly rusty since i haven't picked up a pencil to draw in a few years either and i very much did not use this line weight back when i was drawing more seriously. kind of looks like a child drew it and the baind-aids turned out really weird but hey its something. i hope the rose looks like a rose, never drawn one before. [img]https://i.ibb.co/M9Bt79P/iugfdjokl-g.png[/img] [s]cleaned the poor thing up a smidge[/s]
small header because i wasn't intending for this to be an actual, updated thread but hey there this is where im going to post my digital art that i draw with a mouse in microsoft paint. it is unlikely my specs will change any time in the future but if i decide to start working with textures and brushes once again all of my art will still be drawn in paint with aditional "rendering" elsewhere. i have experience drawing prior to this, i've been doing art in a hobbyist manner since i was a child but have taken a large break from both digital and traditional and my skills are rusty. so not a beginner but not at a level of skill or polish if i was continuously making art for all those years. any art older than what is posted here is either lost to time or hidden on an account i no longer have access to (please never give another individual your account ever... this is not related to what i just said *sweats*) so any progress will have to be judged in the here and now (traditional art i still have im just not interested in cataloguing it because it doesn't photograph well). im looking forward to drawing just for fun, i don't know if anything here may interest you but i appreciate anyone stopping by even still!

original first post:

im going to embarrass the everloving snot out of myself for this one and it doesn't even remotely resemble the idea i had in my head but screw it i opened up paint for the first time in like 5 or more years and cranked this out in about a half hour. briar the dragon who i was planning to give an extra set of horns and more brambles wrapping around their wing but i colored the back wing black and didn't want to go back and mess with that. im horrificaly rusty since i haven't picked up a pencil to draw in a few years either and i very much did not use this line weight back when i was drawing more seriously. kind of looks like a child drew it and the baind-aids turned out really weird but hey its something. i hope the rose looks like a rose, never drawn one before.

iugfdjokl-g.png

cleaned the poor thing up a smidge
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
It is indeed something and good for you for getting back into it and putting it out there! Honestly I think its really cute <3
As long as you had some fun lol :D
It is indeed something and good for you for getting back into it and putting it out there! Honestly I think its really cute <3
VyihBMq.png
CAJaTcp.png
kI850Ts.png
gziv3Ja.png
Za35UMn.png
3.png
3J2k0DG.png
@happenstance yeah it was fun, a style i've never done before but i've always liked the pallet of black, white, and red so i thought something bold might hide the rougher edges. im wondering though if i need to rework on my hand eye coordination or put my mouse on a more solid surface, but it might be the linework since its thicker you notice the parts where it gets thinner a lot easier.
@happenstance yeah it was fun, a style i've never done before but i've always liked the pallet of black, white, and red so i thought something bold might hide the rougher edges. im wondering though if i need to rework on my hand eye coordination or put my mouse on a more solid surface, but it might be the linework since its thicker you notice the parts where it gets thinner a lot easier.
[quote name="happenstance" date="2023-12-20 21:49:15" ] It is indeed something and good for you for getting back into it and putting it out there! Honestly I think its really cute <3 As long as you had some fun lol :D [/quote] I second to this comment! I think it's really cute as well! and hey! I happened to begin drawing on paint with my mouse because it seemed fun as well dhjdgdj all you need to do is just go with the flow and yes, have fun! I also have problems with coordinating my mouse at times considering I have it on a solid surface (wooden table) lmao but I always end up like "never give up never WHAT." and undo the thing as many times necessary. As a small tip, you could probably define certain things with small shadows a shade a little darker than the original color to give a sense that they are diff things, go with whatever might suit you best c:
happenstance wrote on 2023-12-20 21:49:15:

I second to this comment! I think it's really cute as well! and hey! I happened to begin drawing on paint with my mouse because it seemed fun as well dhjdgdj all you need to do is just go with the flow and yes, have fun! I also have problems with coordinating my mouse at times considering I have it on a solid surface (wooden table) lmao but I always end up like "never give up never WHAT." and undo the thing as many times necessary. As a small tip, you could probably define certain things with small shadows a shade a little darker than the original color to give a sense that they are diff things, go with whatever might suit you best c:
Plant-Vash.png
> Treasure Frenzy [PQ]
> G1 dragon list
+5 hours ahead of FR time
He/They menace
Adult
ll0CfnD.png
a2e1ae1baf2f2f8b720795dea9e4be1e5df6fba7.png
stbls.png
@Ba1ja thanks for the encouragement as well, i did try out shadows for a small bit but i didn't realize you're not supposed to use pure black and it lookes hideous lmao. i did embrace the lineless style so i left shadows behind, im not sure where i want to go with my art or if this isn't just a small blip and i'll go back to not drawing again. its been over a decade since i even drew a dragon but i did remember the general shape so there must be some muscle memory left. sorry if im kind of rambling to both of you, i wasn't a phenomenal artist or anything but it was a defining part of my life for a good moment so i've got some feelings trying to take a crack at it again.
@Ba1ja thanks for the encouragement as well, i did try out shadows for a small bit but i didn't realize you're not supposed to use pure black and it lookes hideous lmao. i did embrace the lineless style so i left shadows behind, im not sure where i want to go with my art or if this isn't just a small blip and i'll go back to not drawing again. its been over a decade since i even drew a dragon but i did remember the general shape so there must be some muscle memory left. sorry if im kind of rambling to both of you, i wasn't a phenomenal artist or anything but it was a defining part of my life for a good moment so i've got some feelings trying to take a crack at it again.
HKSHSK it's alright! Don't worry! by a darker color I meant like, for example, you grabbed red right? then you just make that red a slightly darker tone in order to make shadows, same if something is black or white, you go playing with grayscale and such, and for like colors colors you just make them a tad bit darker or brighter depending on what you want to do :o I don't know If I'm explaining myself all that properly ;D
HKSHSK it's alright! Don't worry! by a darker color I meant like, for example, you grabbed red right? then you just make that red a slightly darker tone in order to make shadows, same if something is black or white, you go playing with grayscale and such, and for like colors colors you just make them a tad bit darker or brighter depending on what you want to do :o I don't know If I'm explaining myself all that properly ;D
Plant-Vash.png
> Treasure Frenzy [PQ]
> G1 dragon list
He/They menace
Adult
ll0CfnD.png
stbls.png
@Ba1ja i get what you mean, having gone from such a rudimentary program to gimp was such a big move to me it was overwhelming and i was obsessed with novelty brushes. stuck with paint as long as i did because i do dig that less is more feel (and you can sort of work with layers i just need to remember the trick to it i think you need to right click while using a brush). i will keep that in mind though and maybe try shading again but i think i want to try and get a reference for briar so i can mess with the colors im thinking they should be pink (as an homage to my first dragon character and i just like pink).
@Ba1ja i get what you mean, having gone from such a rudimentary program to gimp was such a big move to me it was overwhelming and i was obsessed with novelty brushes. stuck with paint as long as i did because i do dig that less is more feel (and you can sort of work with layers i just need to remember the trick to it i think you need to right click while using a brush). i will keep that in mind though and maybe try shading again but i think i want to try and get a reference for briar so i can mess with the colors im thinking they should be pink (as an homage to my first dragon character and i just like pink).
[img]https://i.ibb.co/Db2nRdv/briar-ref.png[/img] im going to be perfectly honest i don't think i can explain this at all, i said i wanted them to be pink but not like this. the front facing wing is missing because i am intending for this to be a reference (which is why i literally just drew side view facing left again), for what im not sure but i wanted to at least attempt some markings and they would be covered by the wings. at least you can tell the tail is actually a vine like 02 from kirby and not just covered in brambles. colors are genuinely not my strong suit despite what my lair may be presenting, i actually have no clue if this even looks good im unsure about the hair now.
briar-ref.png

im going to be perfectly honest i don't think i can explain this at all, i said i wanted them to be pink but not like this. the front facing wing is missing because i am intending for this to be a reference (which is why i literally just drew side view facing left again), for what im not sure but i wanted to at least attempt some markings and they would be covered by the wings. at least you can tell the tail is actually a vine like 02 from kirby and not just covered in brambles.

colors are genuinely not my strong suit despite what my lair may be presenting, i actually have no clue if this even looks good im unsure about the hair now.
I think it looks really cute! and I think the hair is a great addition (Unpopular or very popular opinion?: FR should have more hair apparel) were you trying to go for some sort of more intense pink instead of peach-y? :o Btw what breed are they? (If they are based off some breed in FR gjhghfjk) I think your char is really cool nevertheless [emoji=special eyes size=2]
I think it looks really cute! and I think the hair is a great addition (Unpopular or very popular opinion?: FR should have more hair apparel) were you trying to go for some sort of more intense pink instead of peach-y? :o
Btw what breed are they? (If they are based off some breed in FR gjhghfjk) I think your char is really cool nevertheless
Plant-Vash.png
> Treasure Frenzy [PQ]
> G1 dragon list
He/They menace
Adult
ll0CfnD.png
stbls.png
@Ba1ja they're just a generic dragon, i was using design elements from the sparkledragons me and others were drawing on deviantart back in the day so that's why i drew the hair. if anything maybe there's a slight hint of tlos in there but i can't say i was very dedicated to replicating the style when i was participating in the "fandom", maybe closer to classic spyro since they're mire compact? i was going for a softer pink so im not stressing on that im worried there's not enough definition between the two pinks moreso.
@Ba1ja they're just a generic dragon, i was using design elements from the sparkledragons me and others were drawing on deviantart back in the day so that's why i drew the hair. if anything maybe there's a slight hint of tlos in there but i can't say i was very dedicated to replicating the style when i was participating in the "fandom", maybe closer to classic spyro since they're mire compact? i was going for a softer pink so im not stressing on that im worried there's not enough definition between the two pinks moreso.
1 2 3