Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Elarth's Journal of Sornieth Ecology
[center][size=6][font=courier new]ELARTH'S JOURNAL of SORNIETH ECOLOGY[/size] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/6552687][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/75e2917d33bd4e2bbf288e8526d0d5e4/3dd49fb23b646ba6-b3/s2048x3072/1ea49f65b53e745258b497258dcbc3b069edbe18.png[/img][/url] [font=courier new]The ecosystems of Sornieth are vast, mysterious, and, frankly, poorly studied. As a botanist and illustrator (who dabbles in zoology from time to time by necessity), it is my mission to conduct illustrative studies of the species of Sornieth, from the smallest stonecrop to the tallest sequoia. With some animals thrown in for good measure, unfortunately. I follow no strict schedule, so my updates may be erratic, but I promise you when they are finished, the couriers are efficient and will deliver the next journal right to your den. All you have to do is subscribe. They'll handle it from there. [pinglist=13693] [font=courier new]That is all, I look forward to what I might discover next. Cheers, Elarth [emoji=paintbrush size=1][/font]
ELARTH'S JOURNAL of SORNIETH ECOLOGY

1ea49f65b53e745258b497258dcbc3b069edbe18.png

The ecosystems of Sornieth are vast, mysterious, and, frankly, poorly studied. As a botanist and illustrator (who dabbles in zoology from time to time by necessity), it is my mission to conduct illustrative studies of the species of Sornieth, from the smallest stonecrop to the tallest sequoia. With some animals thrown in for good measure, unfortunately.

I follow no strict schedule, so my updates may be erratic, but I promise you when they are finished, the couriers are efficient and will deliver the next journal right to your den. All you have to do is subscribe. They'll handle it from there.

That is all, I look forward to what I might discover next.

Cheers,
Elarth

4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
[center][font=courier new][size=6] Abberant Catshark & Barhide Catshark[/size] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/ea7e0462b23cd0b2f5ef76aa04637c57/d612821509b91d1c-db/s2048x3072/619e487b55f465c954871b2a1b8f66312315d208.png[/img] [center][font=courier new]Two species of shark, found in tropical to temperate ocean waters of Sornieth. The abberant catshark is an eye-watering combination of blues and purples, and the barhide catshark is a slightly mellower black and orange. As catsharks, they lay eggs in small pouches, and possess slitted eyes much like land-based cats. I was staying with a fisherman in Wind Flight when these were caught, and she mentioned that they tasted mild and firm in texture. They seemed feisty, and I didn't want to handle them when pulled from the ocean.

Abberant Catshark & Barhide Catshark

619e487b55f465c954871b2a1b8f66312315d208.png

Two species of shark, found in tropical to temperate ocean waters of Sornieth. The abberant catshark is an eye-watering combination of blues and purples, and the barhide catshark is a slightly mellower black and orange.

As catsharks, they lay eggs in small pouches, and possess slitted eyes much like land-based cats. I was staying with a fisherman in Wind Flight when these were caught, and she mentioned that they tasted mild and firm in texture. They seemed feisty, and I didn't want to handle them when pulled from the ocean.
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
[center][font=courier new][size=6]ISOPODS[/size] Abyss crawler, giant isopod, isopod, glass isopod [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/fdbcb3ea358c2575afb9e0ae0d8b638c/156da85ec55eb669-e1/s2048x3072/b0654cb8da090f34d45f2034335f72e8874bb2a5.png[/img] Like the terrestrial isopod, the marine equivalent is a voracious detritivore, crawling along the ocean floor and mopping up whatever nastiness accumulates there. Because of this, I was not brave enough to eat them. The abyss vulture is the largest and darkest of the isopods, living off the coasts of Lightning and Light, with a remnant population sometimes dredged off the rocky coasts of Earth. The giant isopod, despite its common name, is only the second largest. It can be found all across Sornieth's known oceans, but is most common off of Fire, Plague, and Nature. The "isopod" has not been formally described, and is fairly rare- only being found in Water and Arcane coasts. Perhaps I should be the one to name it... Finally, the glass isopod is the smallest known member of this genus, and certainly the most specialized. It exists purely in the coldest areas of Sornieth, the waters of Ice and the cold currents that flow up through Wind and Shadow. It has a very delicate shell, though the reason why is unknown. @pinglist-13693 [/center]
ISOPODS
Abyss crawler, giant isopod, isopod, glass isopod

b0654cb8da090f34d45f2034335f72e8874bb2a5.png

Like the terrestrial isopod, the marine equivalent is a voracious detritivore, crawling along the ocean floor and mopping up whatever nastiness accumulates there. Because of this, I was not brave enough to eat them.

The abyss vulture is the largest and darkest of the isopods, living off the coasts of Lightning and Light, with a remnant population sometimes dredged off the rocky coasts of Earth.

The giant isopod, despite its common name, is only the second largest. It can be found all across Sornieth's known oceans, but is most common off of Fire, Plague, and Nature.

The "isopod" has not been formally described, and is fairly rare- only being found in Water and Arcane coasts. Perhaps I should be the one to name it...

Finally, the glass isopod is the smallest known member of this genus, and certainly the most specialized. It exists purely in the coldest areas of Sornieth, the waters of Ice and the cold currents that flow up through Wind and Shadow. It has a very delicate shell, though the reason why is unknown.

@Elarth's Ecology

Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
[center][size=6][font=courier new]ACID ANT PUPAE & INKY BABY[/size] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/8c73bde973b3cb36ce81d8e1917593d1/963034d0c9b439b1-e5/s1280x1920/f0d376cc2397f133d870c888f8cf69e0991accfb.png[/img] [font=courier new]The acid ant pupae and inky baby are the intermediate stage between the legless ant larvae and the fully-legged ant adults. Larval ants, to our uneducated eyes, seem to fulfill the same roles that dragon babies do: a 'waiting' stage of life from being able to do nothing to being able to do things adults can. In fact, this couldn't be further from the truth. Adult ants, because of their narrow petioles (or waists), cannot consume solid material, only liquid. One benefit of larvae being what is essentially a tube for food to go into is that they can digest the solids that the adult ants bring in from the outside. It does this via enzymes in its saliva, drooling all over the food before it and the adult consumes it. Plants don't do this, which means they are more pleasant to study. The acid ant pupae matures into a large, aggressive ant that sprays formic acid at curious dragons. The inky baby is so named for its staining properties. It likely is some manner of deterrent against avian predators. @pinglist-13693 [/center]
ACID ANT PUPAE & INKY BABY

f0d376cc2397f133d870c888f8cf69e0991accfb.png

The acid ant pupae and inky baby are the intermediate stage between the legless ant larvae and the fully-legged ant adults. Larval ants, to our uneducated eyes, seem to fulfill the same roles that dragon babies do: a 'waiting' stage of life from being able to do nothing to being able to do things adults can. In fact, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Adult ants, because of their narrow petioles (or waists), cannot consume solid material, only liquid. One benefit of larvae being what is essentially a tube for food to go into is that they can digest the solids that the adult ants bring in from the outside. It does this via enzymes in its saliva, drooling all over the food before it and the adult consumes it. Plants don't do this, which means they are more pleasant to study.

The acid ant pupae matures into a large, aggressive ant that sprays formic acid at curious dragons. The inky baby is so named for its staining properties. It likely is some manner of deterrent against avian predators.

@Elarth's Ecology

Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
[center][size=6][font=courier new]ACID WIDOW & CINDER CREEPER[/size] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/e10218cf1c3099bd0fc19a4ac61fddf6/2042358eebd93ad4-be/s2048x3072/70845dd8d1d2984cd93a60746c0dca36dab9cb32.png[/img] [size=1](mammuthuss was my tumblr username, all of these are my original artworks c-:)[/size] [font=courier new]Acid widows and cinder creepers are two venomous species of spider. The acid widow is, perhaps surprisingly, elementally wind. The cinder creeper is fire, as expected. The venom in both of these spiders is not lethal to most adult dragons (save some unlucky fae and veilspuns), and has a numbing, tangy effect when used in cooking. Both species create silk webs, though the cinder creeper uses them almost like a "fuse", laying out a line of silk to capture insects, and then dragging the other end into the flames. Is this considered cooking? @pinglist-13693
ACID WIDOW & CINDER CREEPER

70845dd8d1d2984cd93a60746c0dca36dab9cb32.png
(mammuthuss was my tumblr username, all of these are my original artworks c-:)

Acid widows and cinder creepers are two venomous species of spider. The acid widow is, perhaps surprisingly, elementally wind. The cinder creeper is fire, as expected.

The venom in both of these spiders is not lethal to most adult dragons (save some unlucky fae and veilspuns), and has a numbing, tangy effect when used in cooking. Both species create silk webs, though the cinder creeper uses them almost like a "fuse", laying out a line of silk to capture insects, and then dragging the other end into the flames. Is this considered cooking?

@Elarth's Ecology
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
[center][size=6][font=courier new]OAKS[/size] [font=courier new]Common acorn, blood acorn, stonecorn, sunkernel [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/ef5b222623c1fba22d6f2ad6220d2a15/8729cc10f6654f64-a6/s2048x3072/9754d9d5106e357fec1beca6c5e64e28785614b8.png[/img] [font=courier new]Ah, oaks, from stately, ancient forests to hardy shrubs, there's no tree more iconic. The genus [i]Quercus[/i] is an incredibly diverse one, able to overcome most climatic conditions that Sornieth has to throw at them. Excepting the very extremes. The selection seen here is not the limit to species found on Sornieth, I will get to a few more common species down the road. Four felt appropriate. The common oak, what most dragons refer to simply as an "acorn," is most commonly found in the moist, temperate forests of Nature and Shadow. The greater leaf surface area, combined with relatively large fruits (the acorns), makes this association obvious. This species has thick, rugged bark, and grows to surprising heights. Most oaks are wider than they are tall, but in the densely packed forests, they can reach amazing heights. Blood oaks are found in the harsh climates of Arcane, Fire, and Plague. It prefers drier conditions than our common oak, lending itself to sclerophyllous (thick and tough) leaves. The common tales about the acorn being filled with fluid are a bit misleading. They are fairly moist compared to other acorns, and have a very distinctive reddish pericarp (fruit wall). When ground for flour, it often leaves a reddish fluid and stains the mortar and pestle, hence the name. Storncorn ranges into Ice, Earth, and Lightning, relatively well cold-tolerant and drought-tolerant. Its typical growth form is that of a woody shrub, and its leaves sport a covering of dense hairs to block uv radiation, insulate the leaves, and prevent loss of water through transpiration. The flour that can be ground from this acorn is of premium quality. Sunkernels are found in Wind, Water, and Light territories, and enjoys the sunny, mild climates of these regions. Its leaves are large and dark, soaking up the ample sun where it grows on outcroppings, stony soils, and fields. It's a popular tree to plant for ornamental purposes, and one of the more common oaks to see in developed areas. @pinglist-13693
OAKS
Common acorn, blood acorn, stonecorn, sunkernel

9754d9d5106e357fec1beca6c5e64e28785614b8.png

Ah, oaks, from stately, ancient forests to hardy shrubs, there's no tree more iconic. The genus Quercus is an incredibly diverse one, able to overcome most climatic conditions that Sornieth has to throw at them. Excepting the very extremes.

The selection seen here is not the limit to species found on Sornieth, I will get to a few more common species down the road. Four felt appropriate.

The common oak, what most dragons refer to simply as an "acorn," is most commonly found in the moist, temperate forests of Nature and Shadow. The greater leaf surface area, combined with relatively large fruits (the acorns), makes this association obvious. This species has thick, rugged bark, and grows to surprising heights. Most oaks are wider than they are tall, but in the densely packed forests, they can reach amazing heights.

Blood oaks are found in the harsh climates of Arcane, Fire, and Plague. It prefers drier conditions than our common oak, lending itself to sclerophyllous (thick and tough) leaves. The common tales about the acorn being filled with fluid are a bit misleading. They are fairly moist compared to other acorns, and have a very distinctive reddish pericarp (fruit wall). When ground for flour, it often leaves a reddish fluid and stains the mortar and pestle, hence the name.

Storncorn ranges into Ice, Earth, and Lightning, relatively well cold-tolerant and drought-tolerant. Its typical growth form is that of a woody shrub, and its leaves sport a covering of dense hairs to block uv radiation, insulate the leaves, and prevent loss of water through transpiration. The flour that can be ground from this acorn is of premium quality.

Sunkernels are found in Wind, Water, and Light territories, and enjoys the sunny, mild climates of these regions. Its leaves are large and dark, soaking up the ample sun where it grows on outcroppings, stony soils, and fields. It's a popular tree to plant for ornamental purposes, and one of the more common oaks to see in developed areas.

@Elarth's Ecology
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
I was about to edit out the part about UV radiation, but I forgot FR was a 1920s analogue lmao. The dragons know what UV radiation is. Weird.
I was about to edit out the part about UV radiation, but I forgot FR was a 1920s analogue lmao. The dragons know what UV radiation is. Weird.
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
[center][font=courier new][size=6]Dandelions, Aer Sprites, and Fiddlepuffs[/size] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/df4849e4d3874dfe536c019098c42d81/79cea370c0c34766-f1/s2048x3072/1cd3c825d8f8f93aae7add1b13eb8f6ba6ff06b7.png[/img] [/center] [center][font=courier new]Dandelions and their kin can be found all across Sornieth as resilient, cheery residents of a wide variety of habitats. Their bright flowerheads are actually a composite of many, many small flowers. The center flowers are disc flowers, and the outer flowers (what we see as the petals), are the ray flowers. They're very, very popular with pollinators such as bumble bees. For dragons, concoctions and teas can be made from all parts of this plant for medicinal use, though I myself simply enjoy a cup of dandelion tea for the flavor. The seeds of dandelion are tufted (called pappus) so that they might disperse far on the winds. Or perhaps in the fur of a passing dragon. Next time you exit your lair, you're bound to see dandelions. Since you know a little more about them now, perhaps take a moment to ponder them. @pinglist-13693 [/center]
Dandelions, Aer Sprites, and Fiddlepuffs

1cd3c825d8f8f93aae7add1b13eb8f6ba6ff06b7.png
Dandelions and their kin can be found all across Sornieth as resilient, cheery residents of a wide variety of habitats. Their bright flowerheads are actually a composite of many, many small flowers. The center flowers are disc flowers, and the outer flowers (what we see as the petals), are the ray flowers. They're very, very popular with pollinators such as bumble bees.

For dragons, concoctions and teas can be made from all parts of this plant for medicinal use, though I myself simply enjoy a cup of dandelion tea for the flavor.

The seeds of dandelion are tufted (called pappus) so that they might disperse far on the winds. Or perhaps in the fur of a passing dragon.

Next time you exit your lair, you're bound to see dandelions. Since you know a little more about them now, perhaps take a moment to ponder them.

@Elarth's Ecology
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
[center][font=courier new][size=6]SORNIETH'S FALSE CHERRIES: EUGENIAS[/size] Aether Cherries, Potash Peaches, Wisp Fruit, and Charged Duneberries [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/296d6fd2c1acc63b9f1810f43780946c/9566a97f02f1a716-27/s2048x3072/958cc5d07153d51b27bbfb0895d2e65e5baab541.png[/img] [/center] [center][font=courier new] For a long time, dragonkind could not decide what to call these unique fruits. They referenced familiar domesticated species in order to name these, hence the 'cherry' and 'peach' descriptors. But these trees do not belong to genus [i]Rosa[/i] like some dragons assumed, but instead are lumped together in genus [i]Eugenia[/i]. Many Eugenias have deeply lobed fruit, and the more magically touched species will sometimes drip potently magic juice from the lobes. Aether Cherries, found in Arcane and the warmer regions of Ice, is a small tree with relatively little magical properties. It is, however, delicious in a jam or jelly, and can be used to dye clothing with its staining juices. When its leaves or berries are crushed, a fragrant, almost spicy, scent is exuded. The plant uses this to ward off insects, but dragons use this to make their home smell nice. Charged Duneberries grow natively in Lightning and Wind, but can be found growing invasively in Nature where they were planted for food and decoration. They tend to have much larger fruits than other members of Eugenia, and these fruits are extremely charged with Lightning energy. Due to growing on the dry steppes of Wind and the Chaparral of Lightning, the leaves are thick and succulent, giving them an edge in these arid environments. In nature, they can be found on dry escarpments, outcompeting with the native inhabitants of these arid microsites. Potash Peaches of Fire, Light, and Shadow are elementally charged with Fire. Though they do not burn on contact, they are distinctively warm inside, almost as though pre-roasted. Picking the fruits earlier gives a more tart flavor, but a mellower heat. They are distinctively unlobed, and give off an ever so slight glow that's visible in the dark of Shadow. Finally, Wisp Fruit is a common sight in tropical coniferous forests, and especially common after a fire. They sprout from the basal root crown after disturbance, and advertise their bright, distinctive berries soon after to begin colonizing the area via animal dispersal. However, it's hard to catch them ripe, for the fruits ripen very quickly after resprouting and soon turn to a brown mush. Some dragons still eat this, for unknown reasons. @pinglist-13693
SORNIETH'S FALSE CHERRIES: EUGENIAS
Aether Cherries, Potash Peaches, Wisp Fruit, and Charged Duneberries

958cc5d07153d51b27bbfb0895d2e65e5baab541.png
For a long time, dragonkind could not decide what to call these unique fruits. They referenced familiar domesticated species in order to name these, hence the 'cherry' and 'peach' descriptors. But these trees do not belong to genus Rosa like some dragons assumed, but instead are lumped together in genus Eugenia. Many Eugenias have deeply lobed fruit, and the more magically touched species will sometimes drip potently magic juice from the lobes.

Aether Cherries, found in Arcane and the warmer regions of Ice, is a small tree with relatively little magical properties. It is, however, delicious in a jam or jelly, and can be used to dye clothing with its staining juices. When its leaves or berries are crushed, a fragrant, almost spicy, scent is exuded. The plant uses this to ward off insects, but dragons use this to make their home smell nice.

Charged Duneberries grow natively in Lightning and Wind, but can be found growing invasively in Nature where they were planted for food and decoration. They tend to have much larger fruits than other members of Eugenia, and these fruits are extremely charged with Lightning energy. Due to growing on the dry steppes of Wind and the Chaparral of Lightning, the leaves are thick and succulent, giving them an edge in these arid environments. In nature, they can be found on dry escarpments, outcompeting with the native inhabitants of these arid microsites.

Potash Peaches of Fire, Light, and Shadow are elementally charged with Fire. Though they do not burn on contact, they are distinctively warm inside, almost as though pre-roasted. Picking the fruits earlier gives a more tart flavor, but a mellower heat. They are distinctively unlobed, and give off an ever so slight glow that's visible in the dark of Shadow.

Finally, Wisp Fruit is a common sight in tropical coniferous forests, and especially common after a fire. They sprout from the basal root crown after disturbance, and advertise their bright, distinctive berries soon after to begin colonizing the area via animal dispersal. However, it's hard to catch them ripe, for the fruits ripen very quickly after resprouting and soon turn to a brown mush. Some dragons still eat this, for unknown reasons.

@Elarth's Ecology
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png