Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Waffle House Clan - stories/lore
Your name is Hyperion, and you are a dragon. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/6995010][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/69951/6995010_350.png[/img][/url] Your egg hatched in the Lightning Farm, but for many years you have lived with your mate in a clan at the edge of the Carrion Canyon. It is a small clan with no pretentions towards greatness or glory, and that suits you well. Dragons are the mightiest creatures of Sornieth - the lands are filled with many valiant warriors and brilliant alchemists - but you in particular are a dragon more inclined to laze in the sun and watch the fish in the stream pools of the canyon. You watch the fish swim. The flicker of their fins, the way their scales shimmer in the light. You lick your eyeball. You feel the low and steady vibrations of the world through the sandstone beneath your belly, that ever present hum, but then. You feel something different, and when you raise your head you can see that a shadow has crossed the mouth of a slot canyon near where you have been resting. But there are no clouds in the sky, and this is no ordinary shadow. As you fly closer to investigate you can sense that something is there, beyond the paper thin membrane of darkness, and it is a place much larger than any place that should exist within the chasm's narrow canyon. You reach out and you press your claws against that dark shimmering barrier and you close your eyes. The magic of it is humming and so you hum along with it, the song of the universe, except that here… here, it is the song of many universes. So you hum along until all of your molecules are vibrating together on the same frequency and you can see into the place beyond the barrier. It is the place that you live except that it is not. There are faces that you know, overlaid in shades and shadows, reflected and refracted but still somehow the same even though they look much different than anything that you have ever known before. But you have always been a very curious dragon, and now you want to know more. You open your eyes again, and you - [img]https://i.ibb.co/yVbTkKf/6995010-350-2.png[/img] [img]https://i.ibb.co/g9C8GXV/6995010-350.png[/img] [img]https://i.ibb.co/hccQDjS/in-Collage-20210105-072528636.jpg[/img] You are - Your name is Hyperion, but most people just call you Hype. You used to live in a travel trailer, when you were very small. Then you lived in a trailer that didn't travel anymore, and then you spent many years living at the state school for the deaf. Now, you live on a houseboat with your girlfriend. You have never heard the shorebirds calling or the waves lapping against the dilapidated hull, but sometimes when you lay on the gently rocking deck you can think that you can feel the deep vibrations of the universe. Of every universe. Then, when it is time for you to go to work, you hop down onto the pier and walk into town towards the Waffle House. [center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/696782388709294101/796092694640197683/forgranite_banner_copy.png[/img] [/center]
Your name is Hyperion, and you are a dragon.

6995010_350.png

Your egg hatched in the Lightning Farm, but for many years you have lived with your mate in a clan at the edge of the Carrion Canyon. It is a small clan with no pretentions towards greatness or glory, and that suits you well. Dragons are the mightiest creatures of Sornieth - the lands are filled with many valiant warriors and brilliant alchemists - but you in particular are a dragon more inclined to laze in the sun and watch the fish in the stream pools of the canyon.

You watch the fish swim. The flicker of their fins, the way their scales shimmer in the light. You lick your eyeball. You feel the low and steady vibrations of the world through the sandstone beneath your belly, that ever present hum, but then. You feel something different, and when you raise your head you can see that a shadow has crossed the mouth of a slot canyon near where you have been resting.

But there are no clouds in the sky, and this is no ordinary shadow.

As you fly closer to investigate you can sense that something is there, beyond the paper thin membrane of darkness, and it is a place much larger than any place that should exist within the chasm's narrow canyon. You reach out and you press your claws against that dark shimmering barrier and you close your eyes. The magic of it is humming and so you hum along with it, the song of the universe, except that here… here, it is the song of many universes. So you hum along until all of your molecules are vibrating together on the same frequency and you can see into the place beyond the barrier.

It is the place that you live except that it is not. There are faces that you know, overlaid in shades and shadows, reflected and refracted but still somehow the same even though they look much different than anything that you have ever known before. But you have always been a very curious dragon, and now you want to know more.

You open your eyes again, and you -

6995010-350-2.png
6995010-350.png
in-Collage-20210105-072528636.jpg

You are -

Your name is Hyperion, but most people just call you Hype.

You used to live in a travel trailer, when you were very small. Then you lived in a trailer that didn't travel anymore, and then you spent many years living at the state school for the deaf. Now, you live on a houseboat with your girlfriend. You have never heard the shorebirds calling or the waves lapping against the dilapidated hull, but sometimes when you lay on the gently rocking deck you can think that you can feel the deep vibrations of the universe. Of every universe.

Then, when it is time for you to go to work, you hop down onto the pier and walk into town towards the Waffle House.
forgranite_banner_copy.png
forgranite-banner-500x90.png
F.A.Q

It is a tale/Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury/Signifying nothing

Uhhhhhhh, what the heck is going on here?
I am incapable of not creating extensive OC headcanons whenever I make a character, and hooboy does FR encourage collecting a bunch of characters. And when I have a bunch of characters I can't just NOT write about them, that would be blasphemy.

But however much I may love having pretty digital dragons, I am not particularly interested in coming up with lore or stories for dragons in a fantasy setting, so… The central conceit here is that Sornieth is just one of an array of multiverses, and that any dragon clan exists in some fashion throughout infinite possible realities. There are places in the world where the barriers between realities are thin, or where dragons with the right abilities may be able to look into different realities to see the ways in which they and their clanmates exist in infinite different lives throughout the multiverse.

But because I am The Way That I Am™, the alternate universe that I am most interested in exploring is one where they are all regular humans whose lives intersect around a Waffle House. YEAH, I DON'T KNOW EITHER. If you're familiar with fanfic terminology just think… OC mundane human!AU

Are all your stories going to be in second person?
Nope! Just the first one! This will largely be third person snippets told from alternating POVs to cover the lives of different characters, updated whenever I feel like it

What's with your writing? Don't you know you're not supposed to begin sentences with the word "but"??
I sure do, I just don't care! I would love to hear feedback and get comments on this thread, but if you feel inclined to offer critique that I am not following style guides or that I have run on sentences or sentence fragments or I'm sometimes using punctuation incorrectly... just know that my writing style is intentional and I am 100% doing it on purpose.

Is this town based on a real place? Where is it?
It is everywhere and nowhere. It is the Waffle House that exists in the heart of all humankind. (Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, but fictionalized and also it doesn't matter)

Can I post in this thread?
Absolutely! Please do! I love talking with folks, and would love any commentary or feedback on my weird headworld

F.A.Q

It is a tale/Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury/Signifying nothing

Uhhhhhhh, what the heck is going on here?
I am incapable of not creating extensive OC headcanons whenever I make a character, and hooboy does FR encourage collecting a bunch of characters. And when I have a bunch of characters I can't just NOT write about them, that would be blasphemy.

But however much I may love having pretty digital dragons, I am not particularly interested in coming up with lore or stories for dragons in a fantasy setting, so… The central conceit here is that Sornieth is just one of an array of multiverses, and that any dragon clan exists in some fashion throughout infinite possible realities. There are places in the world where the barriers between realities are thin, or where dragons with the right abilities may be able to look into different realities to see the ways in which they and their clanmates exist in infinite different lives throughout the multiverse.

But because I am The Way That I Am™, the alternate universe that I am most interested in exploring is one where they are all regular humans whose lives intersect around a Waffle House. YEAH, I DON'T KNOW EITHER. If you're familiar with fanfic terminology just think… OC mundane human!AU

Are all your stories going to be in second person?
Nope! Just the first one! This will largely be third person snippets told from alternating POVs to cover the lives of different characters, updated whenever I feel like it

What's with your writing? Don't you know you're not supposed to begin sentences with the word "but"??
I sure do, I just don't care! I would love to hear feedback and get comments on this thread, but if you feel inclined to offer critique that I am not following style guides or that I have run on sentences or sentence fragments or I'm sometimes using punctuation incorrectly... just know that my writing style is intentional and I am 100% doing it on purpose.

Is this town based on a real place? Where is it?
It is everywhere and nowhere. It is the Waffle House that exists in the heart of all humankind. (Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, but fictionalized and also it doesn't matter)

Can I post in this thread?
Absolutely! Please do! I love talking with folks, and would love any commentary or feedback on my weird headworld

[size=7][u][center]Table of Contents[/center][/u][/size] [size=7][u][center]Quick Character Guide[/center][/u][/size] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/6995010][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/69951/6995010_350.png[/img][/url][nextcol] [center][img]https://i.ibb.co/HV0XZCP/Webp-net-resizeimage-2.png[/img] [size=3][color=transparent]XXXX[/color]• [b]HYPE[/b] •[color=transparent]XXXX[/color] 20s [b]|[/b] M [b]|[/b] Hyperion no human art yet whoops line cook at Waffle House, d/Deaf Extremely Chill [/center][/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/65102579][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/651026/65102579_350.png[/img][/url][nextcol] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=65102579][img]https://i.ibb.co/dP4n8H2/Webp-net-resizeimage.png[/img][/url] [size=3][color=transparent]XXXX[/color]• [b]WAYLON[/b] •[color=transparent]XXXX[/color] 19 [b]|[/b] M rowdy swamp boy [i][emoji=music notes size=1]technically I'm homeless[emoji=music note size=1][/i] no ragrets [/center][/columns] [columns][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/7133200][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/71333/7133200_350.png[/img][/url][nextcol] [center][img]https://i.ibb.co/1rHY5W8/Webp-net-resizeimage-1.png[/img] [size=3][color=transparent]XXXX[/color]• [b]DAN[/b] •[color=transparent]XXXX[/color] 25 [b]|[/b] M [b]|[/b] Caladan rude menace man eats garbage and loves to fight secretly very soft [/center][/columns]
Table of Contents

Quick Character Guide

6995010_350.png
Webp-net-resizeimage-2.png

XXXXHYPEXXXX

20s | M | Hyperion
no human art yet whoops
line cook at Waffle House, d/Deaf
Extremely Chill
65102579_350.png
Webp-net-resizeimage.png

XXXXWAYLONXXXX

19 | M
rowdy swamp boy
technically I'm homeless
no ragrets
7133200_350.png
Webp-net-resizeimage-1.png

XXXXDANXXXX

25 | M | Caladan
rude menace man
eats garbage and loves to fight
secretly very soft
Marsh Frog Companion Heartred Croaker Leg Marsh Frog Companion Heartred Croaker Leg Marsh Frog Companion

Waylon tied his hair back and waved to the guys from the top of the boat ramp after they'd all shoved out into the tranquil waterway. Dan shouted something to him, but the buzzing of the night bugs was so loud and the crescent moon was so bright and Waylon wasn't much for paying attention even at the best of times. But instead of asking Dan to repeat himself, Waylon had just waved again. Then he slipped out of his boots and chucked them into the bed of the truck so that he could set out into the swamp before the guys in the boat started spotlighting.

It was a warm night, hot and humid, perfect once Waylon had splashed through a couple of waist deep waterholes. After that the world had a comforting kind of sameness too it - like the air and the water and his wet skin were all the same temperature, were all the same thing, and Waylon passed through the dark swamp as if that were actually true. It had been a couple of years since he had started living in town most of the time, but it wasn't like he could ever forget what it was like, out in the quiet that was never truly quiet. The chirping of the crickets and the rustle of the snakes in the rushes were, to Waylon, as familiar as the steady beating of his own heart.

He kept parallel to the waterway for a while and actually got close enough to it at one point that he was slogging through the reeds, but there were a few boats out and he kept having to disappear back into the brush. Waylon would sink down into the murky water and go real still and turn his eyes away to protect his dark vision as the boats motored by, sweeping their lights along the shore.

Waylon could hear the people in the boats talking, sometimes. He never listened too close on account of the fact that he wasn't really interested but sometimes they would laugh real loud or clink glass bottles together in their coolers, and the bright peal of it would lance out through the steady swamp-hum. As far as Waylon could tell they never saw him, which was fun in it's own way, to see how well he could blend in and disappear, but constantly having to go still and close his eyes wasn't any good for actually catching frogs. So it was a relief when he heard the deep bellowing of a bull gator further inland and turned his path to head in that direction.

Without the noise of the boats and the piercing glare of their lights it was just Waylon and the swamp, which was his favorite place to be. He kept his distance from the alligator, who was only looking for a mate and wouldn't've appreciated the interruption, but the area was pockmarked with enough shallow ponds that it didn't take long for Waylon to find a suitable spot. The night around him was almost deafeningly loud with the calls of the bullfrogs - their loud, low-pitched voices calling out ‘jug-o-rum, jug-o-rum, jug-o-rum.’

Waylon, however, made no noise at all.

His bare feet were silent in the sludgy wet soil and his eyes were sharp in the moonlight as he grinned and crouched down and crept forward. He was a soundless breeze through the rushes, and when he reached his bare hand out toward the frogs they never saw it coming.

Later, when he made his way back to the boat ramp, the guys who had brought the boat were gone and it was just Dan left. Waylon wasn't trying to be quiet anymore, but he must have been because when he leaned over the side of the truck bed to look down at him… Well, Dan went from laying down with his legs dangling off of the open tailgate to sitting bolt upright with a noise that Waylon knew would be best not pointed out.

So, instead of mentioning how Dan had jumped like a rabbit, Waylon just set his rucksack next to him and said "Hey, Dan. Can you pass me my shoes?"

Dan grumbled and took the bag, but hesitated to hand over the battered hiking boots.

"Don't you wanna wash up first?"

Waylon looked down at himself, shrugged. "Not really."

"You look like the swamp thing."

"I am the swamp thing."

Dan, it seemed, didn't have any comeback to that. Instead, he opened Waylon's pack and after a shocked second said

"You're only supposed to catch 25 a day." Dan shook his head as he stared down into the squirming mass of bullfrogs that Waylon had stuffed into his rucksack.

"Why?"

"Cause that's the limit on a license."

"I don't have a license." Waylon supplied, helpful. "Remember? That's why Duke didn't want me with you guys on the boat."

Dan laughed at that, knowing that Waylon never would've wanted to be on the boat anyway, then he got up and unceremoniously upended Waylon's pack into the cooler that had been shoved up against the toolbox in the bed of the truck. The bullfrogs started to go docile as soon as they hit the ice, but then Dan kicked the lid shut and abruptly cut off the rest of their confused croaking.

"C'mon, I told the guys we'd meet them at the Waffle House."

"Aren't we gonna eat the frogs?"

"Are you kidding me kid?" Dan tilted his head back to look at the sky, where the stars were fading and the horizon was starting to go cotton candy pink "We're not having frog for breakfast."

Waylon wasn't quite sure that he followed. Couldn't you eat frog any time you wanted, as long as you had the frogs? That was the whole point. And they had plenty of frogs, now - Waylon had made sure of that.

But Dan just groaned and shook his head and said "For ef's sake, kid."

"What?"

"Just go dunk yourself in the river, alright? Get the worst of the grime off, and maybe that girl you like won't have to make you eat out in the parking lot."

"I don't mind eating in the parking lot." Waylon said, more reflex than anything, before "Wait, June's working?"

Dan rolled his eyes "How would I know? She might be, I'm not -"

But Waylon didn't hear the rest of what Dan said, because that 'might' was more than enough for him. It wasn't far from the top of the boat ramp down to the river - even shorter of a trip if you didn't mind jumping off the retaining wall. Which Waylon definitely didn't. He left his boots on the gravel as he sprinted out and plunged into the warm, dark water, letting out his lungfuls of air as he crouched so that he was completely submerged. The little silty particles rose up around Waylon as he dug his fingers and toes into the bed of the river, and even though he had left all of the other night-sounds behind on the surface he could still hear his heartbeat in his ears, the blood, coursing through his body.
Marsh Frog Companion Heartred Croaker Leg Marsh Frog Companion Heartred Croaker Leg Marsh Frog Companion

Waylon tied his hair back and waved to the guys from the top of the boat ramp after they'd all shoved out into the tranquil waterway. Dan shouted something to him, but the buzzing of the night bugs was so loud and the crescent moon was so bright and Waylon wasn't much for paying attention even at the best of times. But instead of asking Dan to repeat himself, Waylon had just waved again. Then he slipped out of his boots and chucked them into the bed of the truck so that he could set out into the swamp before the guys in the boat started spotlighting.

It was a warm night, hot and humid, perfect once Waylon had splashed through a couple of waist deep waterholes. After that the world had a comforting kind of sameness too it - like the air and the water and his wet skin were all the same temperature, were all the same thing, and Waylon passed through the dark swamp as if that were actually true. It had been a couple of years since he had started living in town most of the time, but it wasn't like he could ever forget what it was like, out in the quiet that was never truly quiet. The chirping of the crickets and the rustle of the snakes in the rushes were, to Waylon, as familiar as the steady beating of his own heart.

He kept parallel to the waterway for a while and actually got close enough to it at one point that he was slogging through the reeds, but there were a few boats out and he kept having to disappear back into the brush. Waylon would sink down into the murky water and go real still and turn his eyes away to protect his dark vision as the boats motored by, sweeping their lights along the shore.

Waylon could hear the people in the boats talking, sometimes. He never listened too close on account of the fact that he wasn't really interested but sometimes they would laugh real loud or clink glass bottles together in their coolers, and the bright peal of it would lance out through the steady swamp-hum. As far as Waylon could tell they never saw him, which was fun in it's own way, to see how well he could blend in and disappear, but constantly having to go still and close his eyes wasn't any good for actually catching frogs. So it was a relief when he heard the deep bellowing of a bull gator further inland and turned his path to head in that direction.

Without the noise of the boats and the piercing glare of their lights it was just Waylon and the swamp, which was his favorite place to be. He kept his distance from the alligator, who was only looking for a mate and wouldn't've appreciated the interruption, but the area was pockmarked with enough shallow ponds that it didn't take long for Waylon to find a suitable spot. The night around him was almost deafeningly loud with the calls of the bullfrogs - their loud, low-pitched voices calling out ‘jug-o-rum, jug-o-rum, jug-o-rum.’

Waylon, however, made no noise at all.

His bare feet were silent in the sludgy wet soil and his eyes were sharp in the moonlight as he grinned and crouched down and crept forward. He was a soundless breeze through the rushes, and when he reached his bare hand out toward the frogs they never saw it coming.

Later, when he made his way back to the boat ramp, the guys who had brought the boat were gone and it was just Dan left. Waylon wasn't trying to be quiet anymore, but he must have been because when he leaned over the side of the truck bed to look down at him… Well, Dan went from laying down with his legs dangling off of the open tailgate to sitting bolt upright with a noise that Waylon knew would be best not pointed out.

So, instead of mentioning how Dan had jumped like a rabbit, Waylon just set his rucksack next to him and said "Hey, Dan. Can you pass me my shoes?"

Dan grumbled and took the bag, but hesitated to hand over the battered hiking boots.

"Don't you wanna wash up first?"

Waylon looked down at himself, shrugged. "Not really."

"You look like the swamp thing."

"I am the swamp thing."

Dan, it seemed, didn't have any comeback to that. Instead, he opened Waylon's pack and after a shocked second said

"You're only supposed to catch 25 a day." Dan shook his head as he stared down into the squirming mass of bullfrogs that Waylon had stuffed into his rucksack.

"Why?"

"Cause that's the limit on a license."

"I don't have a license." Waylon supplied, helpful. "Remember? That's why Duke didn't want me with you guys on the boat."

Dan laughed at that, knowing that Waylon never would've wanted to be on the boat anyway, then he got up and unceremoniously upended Waylon's pack into the cooler that had been shoved up against the toolbox in the bed of the truck. The bullfrogs started to go docile as soon as they hit the ice, but then Dan kicked the lid shut and abruptly cut off the rest of their confused croaking.

"C'mon, I told the guys we'd meet them at the Waffle House."

"Aren't we gonna eat the frogs?"

"Are you kidding me kid?" Dan tilted his head back to look at the sky, where the stars were fading and the horizon was starting to go cotton candy pink "We're not having frog for breakfast."

Waylon wasn't quite sure that he followed. Couldn't you eat frog any time you wanted, as long as you had the frogs? That was the whole point. And they had plenty of frogs, now - Waylon had made sure of that.

But Dan just groaned and shook his head and said "For ef's sake, kid."

"What?"

"Just go dunk yourself in the river, alright? Get the worst of the grime off, and maybe that girl you like won't have to make you eat out in the parking lot."

"I don't mind eating in the parking lot." Waylon said, more reflex than anything, before "Wait, June's working?"

Dan rolled his eyes "How would I know? She might be, I'm not -"

But Waylon didn't hear the rest of what Dan said, because that 'might' was more than enough for him. It wasn't far from the top of the boat ramp down to the river - even shorter of a trip if you didn't mind jumping off the retaining wall. Which Waylon definitely didn't. He left his boots on the gravel as he sprinted out and plunged into the warm, dark water, letting out his lungfuls of air as he crouched so that he was completely submerged. The little silty particles rose up around Waylon as he dug his fingers and toes into the bed of the river, and even though he had left all of the other night-sounds behind on the surface he could still hear his heartbeat in his ears, the blood, coursing through his body.
I have a question. I love this. A lot. I also have a very hard time writing the dragons....well...as dragons. The size difference between dragons bothers me a lot for some reason. I kinda wanna do shapeshifters but i aint sure

May I borrow your Multivverse idea if it works with the lore im sort of building but strugglging to?
I have a question. I love this. A lot. I also have a very hard time writing the dragons....well...as dragons. The size difference between dragons bothers me a lot for some reason. I kinda wanna do shapeshifters but i aint sure

May I borrow your Multivverse idea if it works with the lore im sort of building but strugglging to?
iLa7XQZ.png
Time spent amongst trees is never wasted time.

tumblr_inline_o0txwexaVY1tqyuge_250.png
S0upYuW.png71MmSto.pngrh5IpZ0.png