Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | DRAGON DIARIES II - Round 5 Complete!
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Alright. Ruin has definitely been summoned, whatever - or whoever - that means. Your chance to play the hero, Urias. ;D
Alright. Ruin has definitely been summoned, whatever - or whoever - that means. Your chance to play the hero, Urias. ;D
HERE I AM, ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT
HERE I AM, ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 10 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Catalyst[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/32464182] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/324642/32464182.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]I hadn’t intended to betray Hieroglyph again. Not really. And yet, I did always have a soft spot for an ambitious female. Candra’s story was only too compelling. One by one, she had found each of her small collection of Aberrations in the throes of madness, rampantly killing all in their path. After she used her impressive magic to blend their minds, she attempted to persuade the victims that the Aberration in question was not at fault. But no one listened. They had seen the blood, heard the screams. None were willing to forgive. And so, embroiled in resentment, Candra had sought out a way to change the fortunes of her ilk. She searched the annals of history, seeking tales of the Aberrations that walked Sornieth in ancient times. That is when she discovered their ties to the netherworld, and the denizens therein. By that point, Candra’s mind had been made up. If the dragons of Sornieth thought her kind monsters, then monsters they would become. It wasn’t so bad, really. They only intended to unleash the one called Ruin to rampage across the land for a short time while I held the mages of Brightwing at bay. Then, once the guards were preoccupied, Candra and her troupe would storm House Luminant and capture Hasil, seizing control of Brightwing. She’d even allow my grandson, Enigma (that is, Enigmyron), to rule among them. And honestly, House Luminant has enjoyed uncontested control of Brightwing for such a long time now. Perhaps a shakeup would be good for us. Healthy, even. Not that I’d ever be able to persuade Hieroglyph of that… Unfortunate. I’ve probably made an enemy of him again. Such is the ebb and flow of things. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 10 : Catalyst
32464182.png
I hadn’t intended to betray Hieroglyph again. Not really. And yet, I did always have a soft spot for an ambitious female.

Candra’s story was only too compelling. One by one, she had found each of her small collection of Aberrations in the throes of madness, rampantly killing all in their path. After she used her impressive magic to blend their minds, she attempted to persuade the victims that the Aberration in question was not at fault. But no one listened. They had seen the blood, heard the screams. None were willing to forgive.

And so, embroiled in resentment, Candra had sought out a way to change the fortunes of her ilk. She searched the annals of history, seeking tales of the Aberrations that walked Sornieth in ancient times. That is when she discovered their ties to the netherworld, and the denizens therein.

By that point, Candra’s mind had been made up. If the dragons of Sornieth thought her kind monsters, then monsters they would become.

It wasn’t so bad, really. They only intended to unleash the one called Ruin to rampage across the land for a short time while I held the mages of Brightwing at bay. Then, once the guards were preoccupied, Candra and her troupe would storm House Luminant and capture Hasil, seizing control of Brightwing. She’d even allow my grandson, Enigma (that is, Enigmyron), to rule among them.

And honestly, House Luminant has enjoyed uncontested control of Brightwing for such a long time now. Perhaps a shakeup would be good for us. Healthy, even. Not that I’d ever be able to persuade Hieroglyph of that… Unfortunate. I’ve probably made an enemy of him again.

Such is the ebb and flow of things.
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
Psh, should have known it, really. Name change or not, he just still is this way. But now that I know there is a coup in the plans? Now, that changes things. A change of leadership... that might be a very appealing plan for more of the dragons who are not exactly on friendly terms with House Luminant... of which there is still more than two, as well. Hmm... I still don't feel like it is going to happen, but the chances have grown. A lot. Interesting!
Psh, should have known it, really. Name change or not, he just still is this way. But now that I know there is a coup in the plans? Now, that changes things. A change of leadership... that might be a very appealing plan for more of the dragons who are not exactly on friendly terms with House Luminant... of which there is still more than two, as well. Hmm... I still don't feel like it is going to happen, but the chances have grown. A lot. Interesting!
I do appreciate that Catalyst sees things in accordance with the big picture and doesn't get caught up in petty matters! Oddly enough I feel like I respect his character more each time he spices things up.
I do appreciate that Catalyst sees things in accordance with the big picture and doesn't get caught up in petty matters! Oddly enough I feel like I respect his character more each time he spices things up.
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 11 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Innocence[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/77178544] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/771786/77178544.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]At last! At last! We’ve done it! No more tiresome rituals, kowtowing to stuffy priests, listening to endless sermons about the Lightweaver’s illuminating truths. It was fun at first, playing the starstruck little acolyte. “Oh my, Lady Daybreak, that’s amazing! Oh goodness, Lord Refrain, tell me more!” Tripping over a candelabra in the middle of our Flameforger’s Festival event and ‘accidentally’ setting the town square on fire was probably the peak of my pranks (thematically fitting too, you have to admit). But now, as the eight of us followed Candra’s lead out the Sanctum doors (no guards anymore, Ruin had already dealt with them), I could hardly contain my glee. I couldn’t wait to see the look on the Clan Leader’s face when we waltzed in and stole control of the Brightwing Clan right out of his hands. So lost was I in my fantasies that I almost failed to notice the massive fireball that rained down from above and crashed straight into Harpy. I screamed, staring in denial at the consuming orange blaze as it flared across the ground beside me. When it fizzled out, only a coal-black pile of ash remained on the singed ground. Just one second ago, my friend was standing there. Here on our day of victory… she was supposed to be there… I wasn’t sure if the burning in my eyes was from the embers or from my own welling tears. I looked past the trailing smoke toward the looming silhouette of a skeletal Aberration with orbs of flame blazing from both his heads. “Ruin! You did this!” I trembled as I screeched at him. “You weren’t supposed to attack us, you were supposed to attack them! THEM!” Ruin gave a tilt of his heads. He opened both mouths and spoke, Scion’s familiar voice mixing with an otherworldly hiss. “[b]All [/b]shall burn.” [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 11 : Innocence
77178544.png
At last! At last! We’ve done it!

No more tiresome rituals, kowtowing to stuffy priests, listening to endless sermons about the Lightweaver’s illuminating truths. It was fun at first, playing the starstruck little acolyte. “Oh my, Lady Daybreak, that’s amazing! Oh goodness, Lord Refrain, tell me more!” Tripping over a candelabra in the middle of our Flameforger’s Festival event and ‘accidentally’ setting the town square on fire was probably the peak of my pranks (thematically fitting too, you have to admit).

But now, as the eight of us followed Candra’s lead out the Sanctum doors (no guards anymore, Ruin had already dealt with them), I could hardly contain my glee. I couldn’t wait to see the look on the Clan Leader’s face when we waltzed in and stole control of the Brightwing Clan right out of his hands.

So lost was I in my fantasies that I almost failed to notice the massive fireball that rained down from above and crashed straight into Harpy.

I screamed, staring in denial at the consuming orange blaze as it flared across the ground beside me. When it fizzled out, only a coal-black pile of ash remained on the singed ground. Just one second ago, my friend was standing there. Here on our day of victory… she was supposed to be there…

I wasn’t sure if the burning in my eyes was from the embers or from my own welling tears. I looked past the trailing smoke toward the looming silhouette of a skeletal Aberration with orbs of flame blazing from both his heads.

“Ruin! You did this!” I trembled as I screeched at him. “You weren’t supposed to attack us, you were supposed to attack them! THEM!”

Ruin gave a tilt of his heads. He opened both mouths and spoke, Scion’s familiar voice mixing with an otherworldly hiss.

All shall burn.”
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
...Oopsie daisy. Well, that sure throws a wrench into Candra's plans. Of course, demon summoning is a risky business at the best of times, can't say this is entirely unexpected... but the way you keep weaving this back and forth, I can't ever guess where we're going next. [emoji=skydancer love size=2]
...Oopsie daisy. Well, that sure throws a wrench into Candra's plans. Of course, demon summoning is a risky business at the best of times, can't say this is entirely unexpected... but the way you keep weaving this back and forth, I can't ever guess where we're going next.
[center]~ ~~~ [b][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Day 12 :[/b] [/font][/size][size=5][font=Century Gothic]Ruin[url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/78802141] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/788022/78802141.png[/img] [/url] [/center][/size][/font] [indent][i][size=5][font=Century Gothic]The scent of blood and fire mingles in the air, raw and intoxicating. Black smoke unfurls across the sky in triumphant pillars to usher the sunlight away. A celebration of sparks leap from the dry grass as it withers at my footsteps. Glowing embers rise and twirl, dancing, dancing in my wake. I do not dance along but gaze ahead, gaze past, toward the hills which have yet to be graced by the gift of flame. I must reach them. I must burn them also. They must join the dance. A voice reaches me from just beyond my vision. “So, you must be Ruin.” I turn to regard a single-headed figure draped in a long dark cloak. “I have to thank you,” says he, lowering his hood to reveal colorful plumage of multiple hues. “Thanks to your smoke I can stand in the open without fear of daylight.” Too many colors, I think. I reach forth to gather another great gout of flame and thrust it toward him. The newcomer stretches forth his hand in kind, and my spell fizzles into a cloud of ash which he dusts off his shoulders. “Please. You may wield great Infernal power, but it’s still just another form of Blood Magic, which I’ve mastered. But if you would hold off on burning things for a moment, I just wish to talk.” Though I have no interest in ceasing to burn things, the newcomer’s ability to thwart my attack draws my attention. “I am curious,” he begins, “What is your goal? Is there a specific purpose for which you were summoned?” “All shall burn,” I tell him. “Oh, is that all?” His red eyes flash. “You have just escaped the Netherworld and now you would bathe this one in ash and sulfur to match? And what will you do when nothing remains to burn? Trounce around in ashes for the rest of your existence? "And what if I were to propose something more interesting?” The colorful newcomer runs his fingers together. “This land is rife with magic, with life energy. I’ve been biding my time, waiting to harness it … Perhaps the time has come.” He opens his hand to me. “What do you think?" [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] And that's the round! Sorry to leave you guys on this c l i f f h a n g e r :D I promise I won't wait half a year before writing the next one. [center]~ ~~~[/center] A little behind the scenes info for those interested: So, the idea behind this round was that I wanted the Brightwing Clan to lose this time. This presented a pretty big challenge considering the [b]power creep[/b] factor - Brightwing is home to some pretty talented sorcerers at this point. Even if I brought in some deep ancient infernal being, it wouldn't quite be enough to convincingly defeat them. Luckily for me, Catalyst likes creating drama as much as I like writing it. Considering he's the Academy's conduit of mana (basically he's become the Academy's literal soul, which is why he can't leave anymore), it wouldn't be out of the question for him to just trap all the mages there, providing me a handy solution. But the other challenge presented was how to end it. I wanted Brightwing to lose but not get completely destroyed. Thus our cliffhanger, courtesy of Urias. The question remains, though - did he save the day, or did he give Brightwing an even worse villain to face? [center]~~~ ~[/center] One more thing - I haven't chosen all 12 dragons that will play a role in the next round yet. This gives me the chance to turn it over to you guys: are there any dragon(s) in my lair you'd be interested to see get involved? Let me know and I might just toss their name into the Random Number Generator! Thanks again for joining me!
~
~~~
Day 12 : Ruin
78802141.png
The scent of blood and fire mingles in the air, raw and intoxicating. Black smoke unfurls across the sky in triumphant pillars to usher the sunlight away. A celebration of sparks leap from the dry grass as it withers at my footsteps. Glowing embers rise and twirl, dancing, dancing in my wake. I do not dance along but gaze ahead, gaze past, toward the hills which have yet to be graced by the gift of flame.

I must reach them. I must burn them also. They must join the dance.

A voice reaches me from just beyond my vision. “So, you must be Ruin.”

I turn to regard a single-headed figure draped in a long dark cloak. “I have to thank you,” says he, lowering his hood to reveal colorful plumage of multiple hues. “Thanks to your smoke I can stand in the open without fear of daylight.”

Too many colors, I think. I reach forth to gather another great gout of flame and thrust it toward him.

The newcomer stretches forth his hand in kind, and my spell fizzles into a cloud of ash which he dusts off his shoulders. “Please. You may wield great Infernal power, but it’s still just another form of Blood Magic, which I’ve mastered. But if you would hold off on burning things for a moment, I just wish to talk.”

Though I have no interest in ceasing to burn things, the newcomer’s ability to thwart my attack draws my attention.

“I am curious,” he begins, “What is your goal? Is there a specific purpose for which you were summoned?”

“All shall burn,” I tell him.

“Oh, is that all?” His red eyes flash. “You have just escaped the Netherworld and now you would bathe this one in ash and sulfur to match? And what will you do when nothing remains to burn? Trounce around in ashes for the rest of your existence?

"And what if I were to propose something more interesting?” The colorful newcomer runs his fingers together. “This land is rife with magic, with life energy. I’ve been biding my time, waiting to harness it … Perhaps the time has come.”

He opens his hand to me. “What do you think?"
~~~
~

And that's the round! Sorry to leave you guys on this c l i f f h a n g e r :D I promise I won't wait half a year before writing the next one.
~
~~~

A little behind the scenes info for those interested: So, the idea behind this round was that I wanted the Brightwing Clan to lose this time. This presented a pretty big challenge considering the power creep factor - Brightwing is home to some pretty talented sorcerers at this point. Even if I brought in some deep ancient infernal being, it wouldn't quite be enough to convincingly defeat them.

Luckily for me, Catalyst likes creating drama as much as I like writing it. Considering he's the Academy's conduit of mana (basically he's become the Academy's literal soul, which is why he can't leave anymore), it wouldn't be out of the question for him to just trap all the mages there, providing me a handy solution.

But the other challenge presented was how to end it. I wanted Brightwing to lose but not get completely destroyed. Thus our cliffhanger, courtesy of Urias. The question remains, though - did he save the day, or did he give Brightwing an even worse villain to face?
~~~
~

One more thing - I haven't chosen all 12 dragons that will play a role in the next round yet. This gives me the chance to turn it over to you guys: are there any dragon(s) in my lair you'd be interested to see get involved? Let me know and I might just toss their name into the Random Number Generator!

Thanks again for joining me!
TpW6gwi.png
Aaaaaah! Alright, first off, my deepest respect for letting your clan take a hit like this. It might sound funny or weird but - I have to admit it, the reason why I'm no good at writing stories is because I can't make myself cause huge drama for my characters. So yea, big, big props.

Also... I love Urias. I mean, heh, that's no secret, is it. XD Always have, but still. Whoa! I always knew he was powerful, but... again, props to you as a writer. You managed to make Ruin come across as a huge threat and then just the casual way Urias dismisses that threat...?!? Yep, that's the cool factor right there.

...of course, it also takes Urias from the grey zone and into undeniable villain territory. Which makes me a little scared for him, because... karma and all. But! Right now, it looks like we have at least one whole arc of awesome left, and I intend to enjoy the ride. :D

Hmm... speaking about favorites... You ask me for a name, you probably know which name you're gonna get. Our old friend, Royal. Or... if you feel someone else from House Royal-Relicsong would be easier to write for here... then them. Either way, the current leadership had allowed quite a few disasters since last we heard from the politicking rascals and I feel like... they wouldn't pass up an opportunity like this, now, would they? p:
Aaaaaah! Alright, first off, my deepest respect for letting your clan take a hit like this. It might sound funny or weird but - I have to admit it, the reason why I'm no good at writing stories is because I can't make myself cause huge drama for my characters. So yea, big, big props.

Also... I love Urias. I mean, heh, that's no secret, is it. XD Always have, but still. Whoa! I always knew he was powerful, but... again, props to you as a writer. You managed to make Ruin come across as a huge threat and then just the casual way Urias dismisses that threat...?!? Yep, that's the cool factor right there.

...of course, it also takes Urias from the grey zone and into undeniable villain territory. Which makes me a little scared for him, because... karma and all. But! Right now, it looks like we have at least one whole arc of awesome left, and I intend to enjoy the ride. :D

Hmm... speaking about favorites... You ask me for a name, you probably know which name you're gonna get. Our old friend, Royal. Or... if you feel someone else from House Royal-Relicsong would be easier to write for here... then them. Either way, the current leadership had allowed quite a few disasters since last we heard from the politicking rascals and I feel like... they wouldn't pass up an opportunity like this, now, would they? p:
I like this position that the diaries are ending on this round, it could swing either way! I'm also a fan of more motives being brought to light, like with this case Urias, and it was a theme in this entire arc -- fitting!

I'm most curious to hear from Hasil or Shezarni, or really any of the Luminant members in light of the uprising. What actions are they taking to thwart the Aberrations? Do they care to remain dominant or do they intend to let another house step up and take charge? (That may never happen, but it's interesting to consider!)

Thanks for another round of your immersive writing, it's always inspiring when I get to glimpse into these entries! I take too long to get to the point and appreciate how your entries don't get too lost in the unnecessary details.
I like this position that the diaries are ending on this round, it could swing either way! I'm also a fan of more motives being brought to light, like with this case Urias, and it was a theme in this entire arc -- fitting!

I'm most curious to hear from Hasil or Shezarni, or really any of the Luminant members in light of the uprising. What actions are they taking to thwart the Aberrations? Do they care to remain dominant or do they intend to let another house step up and take charge? (That may never happen, but it's interesting to consider!)

Thanks for another round of your immersive writing, it's always inspiring when I get to glimpse into these entries! I take too long to get to the point and appreciate how your entries don't get too lost in the unnecessary details.
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15