Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Brightest Star, Darkest Night
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 51 52
@Petall Yesss~. Shade shenanigans have had surprisingly little presence in lair so far... I'm gonna change that.

@VeniVidiVici Poor Sethos ;(. He will be missed.

@Dachshund59 Heyy welcome back!

@gn0me Hey, feel free! I'm gonna have to take a peek at your lore when I get a chance~ (I always love reading others' lore, people are so creative on this site~).

EDIT: Forgot a ping, whoops.
@Petall Yesss~. Shade shenanigans have had surprisingly little presence in lair so far... I'm gonna change that.

@VeniVidiVici Poor Sethos ;(. He will be missed.

@Dachshund59 Heyy welcome back!

@gn0me Hey, feel free! I'm gonna have to take a peek at your lore when I get a chance~ (I always love reading others' lore, people are so creative on this site~).

EDIT: Forgot a ping, whoops.
Ty :D
Ty :D
sedge122 | it/they | avatar dragon | skin shop
pings are always alright! note that my username is sedge122 (not sedge112)
a banner showing autumn trees with red and gold leaves
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/wUTLwJa.png[/img] [font=times new roman][size=5]Chapter 8[/size][/font] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54500356][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/545004/54500356.png[/img][/url] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=57904849][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/579049/57904849.png[/img][/url] [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58110038][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/581101/58110038.png[/img][/url][/center] “So let me get this straight,” Iliana grumbled, kneading at his forehead. “A strange sort of Tundra-“ “A Gaoler,” Tamika corrected him. “Fine, a Gaoler. They come smashing through the barrier fighting a Skydancer and a river flight that he claims to be [i]infested [/i]by the [i]Shade[/i].” “It’s not unheard of; there are several cases in the archives of dragons and beasts who got taken over by the Shade,” Tamika said in a matter-of-fact tone. “That was [i]centuries [/i]ago. The Shade was destroyed,” he argued. “Not according to the Gaoler,” Tamika snipped back. “And why should we take his word for it?” Iliana countered. “Because he was [i]just [/i]fighting Shade-infested creatures?!” Tamika spat in exasperation. “He attacked a Skydancer that’s still basically a hatchling!” he snapped back, motioning pointedly to the other side of the menagerie. Vayne was there, crouched over the small form of the young Skydancer which had been laid on a large cushion Iliana had scavenged from a nearby storage closet. The Imperial had been withdrawn since they had come in, concentrating solely on the Skydancer, her claws glowing with healing magic. “She was being controlled by the Shade!” Tamika quipped at Iliana. “Before it left her, anyway.” “How do you know that? Did you [i]see [/i]the Shade?” he challenged. “It was the Shade,” a quiet voice interrupted them. They both looked to see Vayne straighten and sigh, though she didn’t turn to address them. “The group I was with previously – the Shadowbound – they lost one of theirs to it.” “Seriously?” Tamika gasped. She nodded. “I wasn’t there when it happened, so I don’t know any details, but I heard the story.” “… So if it was the Shade, why weren’t you fighting?” Iliana asked rather brusquely. Vayne visibly winced and Tamika shot him a reproachful look. “I imagine it was scary – things like this happen really fast. Right, Vayne?” “She was trained to be the Library’s protector; I would assume that included combat training,” Iliana muttered. Tamika opened her mouth to retaliate, but Vayne cut in, saying, “No, Tami. He’s right. I was given combat training, but…” She let out another breath, drawing a claw over her face. “I don’t know… I guess I never thought I’d use it.” She shook her head as if trying to dislodge something. “No – I didn’t want to use it. Instead, I focused on my healing… I thought that would be all I needed. I mean – this is just a library, not a military outpost.” An uncomfortable silence followed her words. Tamika was at a loss for what to say for once, only able to gaze at her friend with a mix of pity and guilt. She knew exactly how she felt, too. Growing up, the Library had been safe, full, wonderous. One could almost forget about the dark mist outside the spell shield; it had just been a feature, nothing more. Now the halls were empty, and a cold dread seemed to have seeped into the very walls, the threat of the Shade lingering just outside the door. It was hardly the Library Tamika remembered from her hatchlinghood, no matter how much she wished it was. She couldn’t help but recall all the things she had described in her letters to Vayne; all the best parts that used to make the Library so incredible, so alive. Now it all seemed wrong, almost like a lie. “… Why didn’t you take her to the medical wing? There’s going to be more supplies to treat her with there than here,” Iliana’s voice cut into her thoughts. Coming back to reality, Tamika gazed from him to Vayne, who finally took her eyes away from the Skydancer to look at them. “… I didn’t know where it was at, and I didn’t want to move her too far,” she mumbled. “OH! I’m sorry – I could take you there now? Can she be moved?” Tamika jumped in, her anxious voice echoing in the large room. The Skydancer twitched, but didn’t wake. “Ah – yes, she can be moved. Thankfully, she wasn’t terribly injured by the ice, being a Fire dragon, so her other wounds are healing well… mostly, she’s just malnourished. We’ll need to get her some food for when she wakes. Is the, ah, medical wing close to the Radi- my quarters?” “Pretty close, yeah. Why?” Tamika asked. Then she smacked a claw to her forehead and said, “So you can keep an eye on her, right! Yeah, it’s a level down and off to the right when coming from your room. Not far at all.” Vayne nodded thoughtfully, then reached down to gently pick up the young dragon. “Lead the way.” Tamika jumped up and left, making sure she was following. Vayne didn’t complain when she took the short way up the stairs by flying, going toward the left into the second largest tower. The medical wing wasn’t massive, but it was certainly expansive enough with just the three of them there. Tamika ran to get some basic supplies – bandages and antibiotics, mostly – and rushed back to give them to Vayne who was settling the Skydancer into a bed. “Thank you, Tamika,” the Imperial said, seeming much more relaxed than before as she spread out the medicines and things on a nearby table to assess what was there. “Now, can you run and bring something up from the kitchens? I’d go myself, but-“ “I haven’t shown you where they are yet, I know,” the Pearlcatcher said hurriedly. “It’s alright, I’ll go get her something!” She scurried out quick as she may, taking flight to make good time. She went straight to the pantry, taking only a few moments to pick over the food that remained. A twist of worry wound itself in her gut; they weren’t out of food, by any means, but there wasn’t as much left as she thought. Seems she would have to put her gardening skills to a greater test than she had expected. Pushing this out of her mind for the moment, she grabbed up some dried insects and a jar of honey (who didn’t like crickets in honey?) and hurried back up the tower. She was moving so quickly she almost rammed right into Vayne. The Imperial seemed to have come out of the medical ward and was standing on the landing, staring at her with wide eyes. “Tamika!” she gasped, obviously startled. There was a fearful edge to her voice that gave the Pearlcatcher pause. “Vayne? Are you ok? Did something happen?” she asked, landing beside her friend and gazing around wildly. Nothing seemed to be amiss, however, except for the way Vayne fidgeted uncomfortably. “It’s just- I thought I heard-“ she began, then paused, shaking her head. “It’s… nevermind. You, ah, you brought food. Good. Come in and set it on the table.” “Ok…” Tamika mumbled, trailing after her. Inside the ward, she noticed that Vayne had dragged a larger bed over nearer to the Skydancer. The Imperial wandered off as she set down the food, returning with a blanket. “Are you staying here?” she asked her quizzically. “Yes,” Vayne answered, crawling into the bed. “Just until she’s better; I don’t want to leave her until then…” Tamika nodded. “I understand. I’ll see you later, then, ok?” Vayne murmured an agreement and Tamika trotted back to the door. Before she could get far, Vayne called out to stop her. “Tami… you’re sure that we’re the only ones here, right? In the Library? That everyone else really is gone?” “… Yes?” the Pearlcatcher replied, perplexed. “Just us- well, there’s five dragons now, and the Light Wardens. The longnecks mainly stay downstairs though, you won’t see them much. Anyway, why do you ask?” Vayne shook her head. “It’s nothing, sorry. You can go, I won’t hold you up any longer.” Tamika blinked, watching as the Imperial turned away, nestling down into the bed with her eyes trained on the Skydancer. She wavered a moment, but then left since it seemed to be what Vayne wanted. All the way to the garden, though, a curiosity ate at her. [i]What had Vayne heard?[/i] ----- [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2801811/6#post_42310920][color=sienna]< [i]Previous[/i][/color][/url] [color=transparent]____________[emoji=glimmer tile size=1]_______________[/color] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2801811/8#post_44000969][color=sienna][i]Next[/i] >[/color][/url] ----- [item=redwood log] [item=true rainbow trout] [item=pumpkinseed sunfish] More plot? More plot. Brain's still pretty tired, so I don't have much to say about this post except... enjoy? Coli Loot: [item=Blooming Strangler] [item=dryad] [item=wildwood owl] Kept the Strangler and gave it to the Skydancer child. Oh yeah, I got this yesterday! [item=unhatched shadow egg] ----- Inventory: Breed Change x2, Apparel x8 ----- @Eversnow @VeniVidiVici @Dachshund59 @Snapshadow @chewynoodles @Rosesinger @Petall @AlchemyFox @RadioReprise @MisterMylez @FallenEclipse @Kaivyrin @KyaTessa @kijauni @Tanukiception @BarbaraFett @snad @DragonPrincess27 @dragonhorselover @myriadofstars @secretlylying @Wholesome @gn0me [img]https://i.imgur.com/wrp9ClQ.png[/img][/center]
wUTLwJa.png
Chapter 8

54500356.png
57904849.png 58110038.png

“So let me get this straight,” Iliana grumbled, kneading at his forehead. “A strange sort of Tundra-“

“A Gaoler,” Tamika corrected him.

“Fine, a Gaoler. They come smashing through the barrier fighting a Skydancer and a river flight that he claims to be infested by the Shade.”

“It’s not unheard of; there are several cases in the archives of dragons and beasts who got taken over by the Shade,” Tamika said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“That was centuries ago. The Shade was destroyed,” he argued.

“Not according to the Gaoler,” Tamika snipped back.

“And why should we take his word for it?” Iliana countered.

“Because he was just fighting Shade-infested creatures?!” Tamika spat in exasperation.

“He attacked a Skydancer that’s still basically a hatchling!” he snapped back, motioning pointedly to the other side of the menagerie. Vayne was there, crouched over the small form of the young Skydancer which had been laid on a large cushion Iliana had scavenged from a nearby storage closet. The Imperial had been withdrawn since they had come in, concentrating solely on the Skydancer, her claws glowing with healing magic.

“She was being controlled by the Shade!” Tamika quipped at Iliana. “Before it left her, anyway.”

“How do you know that? Did you see the Shade?” he challenged.

“It was the Shade,” a quiet voice interrupted them. They both looked to see Vayne straighten and sigh, though she didn’t turn to address them. “The group I was with previously – the Shadowbound – they lost one of theirs to it.”

“Seriously?” Tamika gasped. She nodded.

“I wasn’t there when it happened, so I don’t know any details, but I heard the story.”

“… So if it was the Shade, why weren’t you fighting?” Iliana asked rather brusquely. Vayne visibly winced and Tamika shot him a reproachful look.

“I imagine it was scary – things like this happen really fast. Right, Vayne?”

“She was trained to be the Library’s protector; I would assume that included combat training,” Iliana muttered.

Tamika opened her mouth to retaliate, but Vayne cut in, saying, “No, Tami. He’s right. I was given combat training, but…” She let out another breath, drawing a claw over her face. “I don’t know… I guess I never thought I’d use it.” She shook her head as if trying to dislodge something. “No – I didn’t want to use it. Instead, I focused on my healing… I thought that would be all I needed. I mean – this is just a library, not a military outpost.”

An uncomfortable silence followed her words. Tamika was at a loss for what to say for once, only able to gaze at her friend with a mix of pity and guilt. She knew exactly how she felt, too. Growing up, the Library had been safe, full, wonderous. One could almost forget about the dark mist outside the spell shield; it had just been a feature, nothing more. Now the halls were empty, and a cold dread seemed to have seeped into the very walls, the threat of the Shade lingering just outside the door. It was hardly the Library Tamika remembered from her hatchlinghood, no matter how much she wished it was. She couldn’t help but recall all the things she had described in her letters to Vayne; all the best parts that used to make the Library so incredible, so alive. Now it all seemed wrong, almost like a lie.

“… Why didn’t you take her to the medical wing? There’s going to be more supplies to treat her with there than here,” Iliana’s voice cut into her thoughts. Coming back to reality, Tamika gazed from him to Vayne, who finally took her eyes away from the Skydancer to look at them.

“… I didn’t know where it was at, and I didn’t want to move her too far,” she mumbled.

“OH! I’m sorry – I could take you there now? Can she be moved?” Tamika jumped in, her anxious voice echoing in the large room. The Skydancer twitched, but didn’t wake.

“Ah – yes, she can be moved. Thankfully, she wasn’t terribly injured by the ice, being a Fire dragon, so her other wounds are healing well… mostly, she’s just malnourished. We’ll need to get her some food for when she wakes. Is the, ah, medical wing close to the Radi- my quarters?”

“Pretty close, yeah. Why?” Tamika asked. Then she smacked a claw to her forehead and said, “So you can keep an eye on her, right! Yeah, it’s a level down and off to the right when coming from your room. Not far at all.”

Vayne nodded thoughtfully, then reached down to gently pick up the young dragon. “Lead the way.”

Tamika jumped up and left, making sure she was following. Vayne didn’t complain when she took the short way up the stairs by flying, going toward the left into the second largest tower. The medical wing wasn’t massive, but it was certainly expansive enough with just the three of them there. Tamika ran to get some basic supplies – bandages and antibiotics, mostly – and rushed back to give them to Vayne who was settling the Skydancer into a bed.

“Thank you, Tamika,” the Imperial said, seeming much more relaxed than before as she spread out the medicines and things on a nearby table to assess what was there. “Now, can you run and bring something up from the kitchens? I’d go myself, but-“

“I haven’t shown you where they are yet, I know,” the Pearlcatcher said hurriedly. “It’s alright, I’ll go get her something!”

She scurried out quick as she may, taking flight to make good time. She went straight to the pantry, taking only a few moments to pick over the food that remained. A twist of worry wound itself in her gut; they weren’t out of food, by any means, but there wasn’t as much left as she thought. Seems she would have to put her gardening skills to a greater test than she had expected. Pushing this out of her mind for the moment, she grabbed up some dried insects and a jar of honey (who didn’t like crickets in honey?) and hurried back up the tower.

She was moving so quickly she almost rammed right into Vayne. The Imperial seemed to have come out of the medical ward and was standing on the landing, staring at her with wide eyes.

“Tamika!” she gasped, obviously startled. There was a fearful edge to her voice that gave the Pearlcatcher pause.

“Vayne? Are you ok? Did something happen?” she asked, landing beside her friend and gazing around wildly. Nothing seemed to be amiss, however, except for the way Vayne fidgeted uncomfortably.

“It’s just- I thought I heard-“ she began, then paused, shaking her head. “It’s… nevermind. You, ah, you brought food. Good. Come in and set it on the table.”

“Ok…” Tamika mumbled, trailing after her. Inside the ward, she noticed that Vayne had dragged a larger bed over nearer to the Skydancer. The Imperial wandered off as she set down the food, returning with a blanket.

“Are you staying here?” she asked her quizzically.

“Yes,” Vayne answered, crawling into the bed. “Just until she’s better; I don’t want to leave her until then…”

Tamika nodded. “I understand. I’ll see you later, then, ok?”

Vayne murmured an agreement and Tamika trotted back to the door. Before she could get far, Vayne called out to stop her.

“Tami… you’re sure that we’re the only ones here, right? In the Library? That everyone else really is gone?”

“… Yes?” the Pearlcatcher replied, perplexed. “Just us- well, there’s five dragons now, and the Light Wardens. The longnecks mainly stay downstairs though, you won’t see them much. Anyway, why do you ask?”

Vayne shook her head. “It’s nothing, sorry. You can go, I won’t hold you up any longer.”

Tamika blinked, watching as the Imperial turned away, nestling down into the bed with her eyes trained on the Skydancer. She wavered a moment, but then left since it seemed to be what Vayne wanted. All the way to the garden, though, a curiosity ate at her.

What had Vayne heard?
< Previous ___________________________ Next >
Redwood Log True Rainbow Trout Pumpkinseed Sunfish
More plot? More plot.
Brain's still pretty tired, so I don't have much to say about this post except... enjoy?
Coli Loot:
Blooming Strangler Dryad Wildwood Owl
Kept the Strangler and gave it to the Skydancer child.
Oh yeah, I got this yesterday!
Unhatched Shadow Egg
Inventory: Breed Change x2, Apparel x8
@Eversnow @VeniVidiVici @Dachshund59 @Snapshadow @chewynoodles @Rosesinger @Petall @AlchemyFox @RadioReprise @MisterMylez @FallenEclipse @Kaivyrin @KyaTessa @kijauni @Tanukiception @BarbaraFett @snad @DragonPrincess27 @dragonhorselover @myriadofstars @secretlylying @Wholesome @gn0me
wrp9ClQ.png
Ooo mystery!
Ooo mystery!
Jar of Vapors I collect Bottled Embers and Jar Of Vapors!
WishList
Bottled Embers
Ooo! It hadn't occurred to me how the experience the Shadowbound had with the Shade might help Vayne here! That's a very clever tie in!

I hope this shydancer hatchling is doing alright, and that the Shade truly has left her... I don't think this bodes well for the library.
Ooo! It hadn't occurred to me how the experience the Shadowbound had with the Shade might help Vayne here! That's a very clever tie in!

I hope this shydancer hatchling is doing alright, and that the Shade truly has left her... I don't think this bodes well for the library.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
um what
i'm not liking where this is goiNG
um what
i'm not liking where this is goiNG
sedge122 | it/they | avatar dragon | skin shop
pings are always alright! note that my username is sedge122 (not sedge112)
a banner showing autumn trees with red and gold leaves
Congrats on the egg!
And a great read as always!
(in case you accept editor's comments, I'm pretty sure the past tense of 'drag' is not 'drug', perhaps 'dragged a larger bed'? Anyway I'm here for whatever it is you do so well that keeps me glued to the page, not the grammar!)

btw I love your art for Choleric!
Congrats on the egg!
And a great read as always!
(in case you accept editor's comments, I'm pretty sure the past tense of 'drag' is not 'drug', perhaps 'dragged a larger bed'? Anyway I'm here for whatever it is you do so well that keeps me glued to the page, not the grammar!)

btw I love your art for Choleric!
qDkA25S.png
@VeniVidiVici Mysteryyyy

@Petall I like callbacks, so it's very hard for me to resist making them xD.

@Dachshund59 -manic cackling in the distance-

@gn0me That would be my tired brain, lol. I'll go fix that, thanks for catching it! (And I don't mind editor's comments, silly little mistakes happen like that all the time and I like to correct them when I catch them, but obviously I don't always.)
Oh, thank you! I had a lot of fun doing that portrait for her~.
@VeniVidiVici Mysteryyyy

@Petall I like callbacks, so it's very hard for me to resist making them xD.

@Dachshund59 -manic cackling in the distance-

@gn0me That would be my tired brain, lol. I'll go fix that, thanks for catching it! (And I don't mind editor's comments, silly little mistakes happen like that all the time and I like to correct them when I catch them, but obviously I don't always.)
Oh, thank you! I had a lot of fun doing that portrait for her~.
@Eversnow @VeniVidiVici @Dachshund59 @Snapshadow @chewynoodles @Rosesinger @Petall @AlchemyFox @RadioReprise @MisterMylez @FallenEclipse @Kaivyrin @KyaTessa @kijauni @Tanukiception @BarbaraFett @snad @DragonPrincess27 @dragonhorselover @myriadofstars @secretlylying @Wholesome @gn0me

Hey, I just wanted to give you all a quick update. I've decided that I'm going to put this Pinkerlocke on hold for a while, like a month or so. I've unfortunately been so overextended lately and I'm trying to pair down the numbers of things I'm stressing over and Brightest Star, Darkest Night is definitely not something I want to be stressed over, or I'll burn myself out and never finish it.
Now, I'll probably still put the dragons through the coliseum, so I may post the occasional updates as to the progress of that, but the story and art has just been too big of a job for me to keep up with even once a week. My mind's just focused on too many other things at the moment.

Anyway, I'm really, really sorry to do this to you guys. I just need some time to get me head sorted out so that I can give this story and these characters the attention that I want to give them.

Hey, I just wanted to give you all a quick update. I've decided that I'm going to put this Pinkerlocke on hold for a while, like a month or so. I've unfortunately been so overextended lately and I'm trying to pair down the numbers of things I'm stressing over and Brightest Star, Darkest Night is definitely not something I want to be stressed over, or I'll burn myself out and never finish it.
Now, I'll probably still put the dragons through the coliseum, so I may post the occasional updates as to the progress of that, but the story and art has just been too big of a job for me to keep up with even once a week. My mind's just focused on too many other things at the moment.

Anyway, I'm really, really sorry to do this to you guys. I just need some time to get me head sorted out so that I can give this story and these characters the attention that I want to give them.
quality over quantity any day!
quality over quantity any day!
qDkA25S.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 51 52