Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Phrontistery - Familiars
Random clan lore stuff - in this case, the stories between my dragons and their familiars. How they met, what they do, etc. Feel free to leave constructive criticism. Note that it'll make more sense if you read the dragon's descriptions first.

Stormsurge's Familiar

During one of her material-gathering expeditions, Stormsurge came across a young Harpy with cuts, bruises, and a broken wing. Fashioning a makeshift sling, Stormsurge brought the Harpy back to the Phrontistery, so that she could rest and recover.

That night, Sternbild had been out on his nightly flight, when he spotted a flock of Harpies advancing towards the Phrontistery. The Skydancer immediately turned back, flying as fast as he could, and got back just in time to raise the alarms. While Slate fought off the invaders, Stormsurge stood guard over the harpy, and fought off anyone who tried to injure her.

These two events sowed the seeds of doubt within the young Harpy's mind: she had been taught that the Flock was family, that one could always depend on fellow Harpies, and that dragons were cruel, heartless, and primal beasts of wanton destruction. And yet, she had been ambushed by forces from another Harpy clan (in an event that she would eventually learn was the prelude to an inter-clan skirmish), only to be saved and cared for by dragons. And thus, out of curiosity, she decided to stick around, and see what she could learn from these strange dragons.

(I hope this wasn't too cliched - this idea actually struck me when I was writing Slate's bio. I saw on the wiki that the Harpy Beastclan was one big Flock united under Talona, but they consisted of several smaller families. And let's face it, we all have our share of spats with our own family, so I imagined that the same would also apply to the Harpy clans/families, and, well, this was the result.)

----

Zoroark's Familiar
Zoroark's found his familiar during a foraging trip to gather food for his fellow plant-eating dragons. While he had been tugging on a particularly stubborn stick of bamboo, a Plantation Pincher had hopped into his open knapsack, only to be promptly knocked out by the bamboo that Zoroark had tossed in. He didn't realize the little blue crab was there until he had returned to the Phrontistery: He'd opened the knapsack containing the various plants inside -only to be greeted by several leaves with little bite marks on them, a completely pristine stick of bamboo, and one very freaked out Plantation Pincher. Amusingly enough, the Plantation Pincher resists all attempts to return it to its natural habitat, scuttling away from the entrance with little squeals of terror every time.

Watmel's Familiar
Watmel also found his familiar on a gathering trip, the differences being that he was catching insects, and the Shovelsnout came with him willingly. Like Watmel, the Shovelsnout is also quite friendly, and seems to have taken a shine to the clan in general, especially Zoroark's plantation pincher. Understandably, the skittish little crab is intimidated by the much larger porcine snuffling at it, and the Plantation Pincher hurriedly scuttling away from the overeager boar has become a common sight.
Random clan lore stuff - in this case, the stories between my dragons and their familiars. How they met, what they do, etc. Feel free to leave constructive criticism. Note that it'll make more sense if you read the dragon's descriptions first.

Stormsurge's Familiar

During one of her material-gathering expeditions, Stormsurge came across a young Harpy with cuts, bruises, and a broken wing. Fashioning a makeshift sling, Stormsurge brought the Harpy back to the Phrontistery, so that she could rest and recover.

That night, Sternbild had been out on his nightly flight, when he spotted a flock of Harpies advancing towards the Phrontistery. The Skydancer immediately turned back, flying as fast as he could, and got back just in time to raise the alarms. While Slate fought off the invaders, Stormsurge stood guard over the harpy, and fought off anyone who tried to injure her.

These two events sowed the seeds of doubt within the young Harpy's mind: she had been taught that the Flock was family, that one could always depend on fellow Harpies, and that dragons were cruel, heartless, and primal beasts of wanton destruction. And yet, she had been ambushed by forces from another Harpy clan (in an event that she would eventually learn was the prelude to an inter-clan skirmish), only to be saved and cared for by dragons. And thus, out of curiosity, she decided to stick around, and see what she could learn from these strange dragons.

(I hope this wasn't too cliched - this idea actually struck me when I was writing Slate's bio. I saw on the wiki that the Harpy Beastclan was one big Flock united under Talona, but they consisted of several smaller families. And let's face it, we all have our share of spats with our own family, so I imagined that the same would also apply to the Harpy clans/families, and, well, this was the result.)

----

Zoroark's Familiar
Zoroark's found his familiar during a foraging trip to gather food for his fellow plant-eating dragons. While he had been tugging on a particularly stubborn stick of bamboo, a Plantation Pincher had hopped into his open knapsack, only to be promptly knocked out by the bamboo that Zoroark had tossed in. He didn't realize the little blue crab was there until he had returned to the Phrontistery: He'd opened the knapsack containing the various plants inside -only to be greeted by several leaves with little bite marks on them, a completely pristine stick of bamboo, and one very freaked out Plantation Pincher. Amusingly enough, the Plantation Pincher resists all attempts to return it to its natural habitat, scuttling away from the entrance with little squeals of terror every time.

Watmel's Familiar
Watmel also found his familiar on a gathering trip, the differences being that he was catching insects, and the Shovelsnout came with him willingly. Like Watmel, the Shovelsnout is also quite friendly, and seems to have taken a shine to the clan in general, especially Zoroark's plantation pincher. Understandably, the skittish little crab is intimidated by the much larger porcine snuffling at it, and the Plantation Pincher hurriedly scuttling away from the overeager boar has become a common sight.
nudX0O8.png

Please click these little guys, it takes way too long to hatch them.