Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | A Guide to Sorneith's Calendar
1 2
Sorneith has a very rich history, filled with stories of grandeur and camaraderie that emphasize the beauty of this diverse continent dragonkind calls home. Throughout the ages, us Acolytes have used a dating system to keep track of the histories and discoveries made as our people advance. This dating system has become the norm in most Flights, yet I feel a guide might be necessary for the unlearned. So, I have written out a quick guide to the Draconic Calendar below.

The calendar year is birthed in the month of Lichta, the month of clear skies and sunlight. This month lasts approximately 30 days, and hosts both the Sunchaser's Day and the Brightshine Jubilee. Where as the Brightshine Jubilee is a continent wide festival, Sunchaser's day is a much more localized holiday. Sunchaser's Day is a day for self reflection, where no work is conducted to get in the way of realizing your inner truths.

The next month is Radi, which lasts for 31 days. This month is wracked with thunderstorms, which is befitting for the host of the Thundercrack Carnivale. Unlike other flights, the Lightning flight does not look highly upon days were no work is conducted, so the only festival this flight celebrates is their carnivale. I guess it can't be helped.

Following Radi is Ahi, the month of the flame. The 31 days of this month see temperatures much higher than average, even in the far off lands of the Ice flight. The continent wide Flameforger's Festival shares this month's festivities with Burning Heart's Day. The Fire flight celebrates Burning Heart's Day by forging somebody they care for a piece of metalwork that is reflective of their relationship with that special somebody. Who would have guessed that such a hot-headed flight could have such a tender holiday?

Aster lasts 30 days, and is the start of Autumn across the continent. Some say this is because the pulse of magic is at it's strongest, yet as an intellectual I must disagree. The Starfall Celebration shares this month with two other holidays: Lunartide and Solarise. Lunartide is a celebration of the moon, stars, and mysterious forces that bind our universe together. Solarise is a day of aspiration, where one announces their dreams to the rest of their flight.

Ghuthayan is the month where the leaves that sustained trees for the bulk of the year wither away, leaving only the strong to survive the winter. The Riot of Rot is celebrated in the 31 days of this month, but Plague dragons also celebrate St. Hayan's Feast. St. Hayan's is one of the only days that you will see Plague dragons actively encouraging positive interaction with one another, which is both chilling and warming at the same time oddly enough.

The month of Geodus lasts only 30 days, yet it is in these days that the colors of the earth are the most visible. While it is true that the only real holiday in this month is the Rockbreaker's Ceremony, the Earth flight also use this month to remind their clans of where they came from. They believe that each week leading up to the ceremony should focus on a different age, and spend their time remembering their past ancestors. Truthfully, I believe this tradition is quite beautiful, even if it is a little pointless in the modern age.

Null is 31 days of emptiness, having no flight to claim it for their own. Although there are no holidays in this bleak month, there are several points of interest that occur such as the annual nesting of Nocturnes and the Sun's Fall. I have always found this month to host an eerie sense of foreboding, yet for some odd reason I can't place my claw on why this might be..

Following Null is Lednik, the month of frigid gales and snow. The 31 days of this month are in the middle of the Winter, and can even make the Viridian Labyrinth feel a tad chilly. The Crystaline Gala shares this month with many holidays in the Ice flight, such as Icewarden's Day, Cryosine, and Relic's Day. I believe that the first two of these flight Holidays celebrate the cold weather and then the clan's unity, but I'm pretty sure that Relic's Day celebrates a hatchling's first hoard.

Katera is the next month, and is also the shortest of the months. The 28 days of this month are filled with strange shadows cast by the melting ice, and peculiar sounds made by awakening animals who are emerging from hibernation. The Trickmurk Circus is the only real holiday in this month, but it isn't unusual for members of the Shadow flight to spend the weeks up to it refining their pranks on unwitting visitors and rival clans. Truly the worst day to go shopping. I speak from experience.

After Katera comes Feng, a month of strong winds and coming change. The Mistral Jamboree is at the end of these 31 days, but on the 13th day of this month, the Wind flight celebrates the Festival of Flutes. Many dragons from other flights will come to observe this event, as the atmosphere is especially joyful with all of the beautiful music being performed alongside intricate dances and performances. Although it has become more of a commercial Holiday in recent years, Wind dragons still believe that this Holiday is just as important without it's original meaning.

Hujan is 30 days of rain that rejuvenate Sorneith for the coming year. The Water flight has it's Wavecrest Saturnalia in this blue month, but they also celebrate the annual Oracle's Ceremony. Hatchlings will spend an entire year preparing for this day, as this is the very first time they are permitted to follow their parents into the Seer's Pool and emerge as a fully fledged adult. I always find it so adorable to see the new hatchlings bragging about what their first Vision will be when I travel to the Sea. It fills my heart with joy.

Floresta is the closing month of the year, as well as the month of new beginnings. The 31 days of this month are perfumed with the scents of countless blooming flowers, as well as copious amounts of pollen (much to my nose's dismay). The Greenskeeper Gathering is the major Holiday, but Nature dragons look forward to Verdant Day just as much. This is the day they compete to see who is the best Gardener of them all. The winner supposedly gets to be the first to enjoy the wines that have been stowed away for the year, and also gets the best choice in the barrel they take home.

I believe that this guide should be helpful for those who reside in flights beyond mine. May the Lightweaver Shine upon those reading this.

-
Acolyte
Sorneith has a very rich history, filled with stories of grandeur and camaraderie that emphasize the beauty of this diverse continent dragonkind calls home. Throughout the ages, us Acolytes have used a dating system to keep track of the histories and discoveries made as our people advance. This dating system has become the norm in most Flights, yet I feel a guide might be necessary for the unlearned. So, I have written out a quick guide to the Draconic Calendar below.

The calendar year is birthed in the month of Lichta, the month of clear skies and sunlight. This month lasts approximately 30 days, and hosts both the Sunchaser's Day and the Brightshine Jubilee. Where as the Brightshine Jubilee is a continent wide festival, Sunchaser's day is a much more localized holiday. Sunchaser's Day is a day for self reflection, where no work is conducted to get in the way of realizing your inner truths.

The next month is Radi, which lasts for 31 days. This month is wracked with thunderstorms, which is befitting for the host of the Thundercrack Carnivale. Unlike other flights, the Lightning flight does not look highly upon days were no work is conducted, so the only festival this flight celebrates is their carnivale. I guess it can't be helped.

Following Radi is Ahi, the month of the flame. The 31 days of this month see temperatures much higher than average, even in the far off lands of the Ice flight. The continent wide Flameforger's Festival shares this month's festivities with Burning Heart's Day. The Fire flight celebrates Burning Heart's Day by forging somebody they care for a piece of metalwork that is reflective of their relationship with that special somebody. Who would have guessed that such a hot-headed flight could have such a tender holiday?

Aster lasts 30 days, and is the start of Autumn across the continent. Some say this is because the pulse of magic is at it's strongest, yet as an intellectual I must disagree. The Starfall Celebration shares this month with two other holidays: Lunartide and Solarise. Lunartide is a celebration of the moon, stars, and mysterious forces that bind our universe together. Solarise is a day of aspiration, where one announces their dreams to the rest of their flight.

Ghuthayan is the month where the leaves that sustained trees for the bulk of the year wither away, leaving only the strong to survive the winter. The Riot of Rot is celebrated in the 31 days of this month, but Plague dragons also celebrate St. Hayan's Feast. St. Hayan's is one of the only days that you will see Plague dragons actively encouraging positive interaction with one another, which is both chilling and warming at the same time oddly enough.

The month of Geodus lasts only 30 days, yet it is in these days that the colors of the earth are the most visible. While it is true that the only real holiday in this month is the Rockbreaker's Ceremony, the Earth flight also use this month to remind their clans of where they came from. They believe that each week leading up to the ceremony should focus on a different age, and spend their time remembering their past ancestors. Truthfully, I believe this tradition is quite beautiful, even if it is a little pointless in the modern age.

Null is 31 days of emptiness, having no flight to claim it for their own. Although there are no holidays in this bleak month, there are several points of interest that occur such as the annual nesting of Nocturnes and the Sun's Fall. I have always found this month to host an eerie sense of foreboding, yet for some odd reason I can't place my claw on why this might be..

Following Null is Lednik, the month of frigid gales and snow. The 31 days of this month are in the middle of the Winter, and can even make the Viridian Labyrinth feel a tad chilly. The Crystaline Gala shares this month with many holidays in the Ice flight, such as Icewarden's Day, Cryosine, and Relic's Day. I believe that the first two of these flight Holidays celebrate the cold weather and then the clan's unity, but I'm pretty sure that Relic's Day celebrates a hatchling's first hoard.

Katera is the next month, and is also the shortest of the months. The 28 days of this month are filled with strange shadows cast by the melting ice, and peculiar sounds made by awakening animals who are emerging from hibernation. The Trickmurk Circus is the only real holiday in this month, but it isn't unusual for members of the Shadow flight to spend the weeks up to it refining their pranks on unwitting visitors and rival clans. Truly the worst day to go shopping. I speak from experience.

After Katera comes Feng, a month of strong winds and coming change. The Mistral Jamboree is at the end of these 31 days, but on the 13th day of this month, the Wind flight celebrates the Festival of Flutes. Many dragons from other flights will come to observe this event, as the atmosphere is especially joyful with all of the beautiful music being performed alongside intricate dances and performances. Although it has become more of a commercial Holiday in recent years, Wind dragons still believe that this Holiday is just as important without it's original meaning.

Hujan is 30 days of rain that rejuvenate Sorneith for the coming year. The Water flight has it's Wavecrest Saturnalia in this blue month, but they also celebrate the annual Oracle's Ceremony. Hatchlings will spend an entire year preparing for this day, as this is the very first time they are permitted to follow their parents into the Seer's Pool and emerge as a fully fledged adult. I always find it so adorable to see the new hatchlings bragging about what their first Vision will be when I travel to the Sea. It fills my heart with joy.

Floresta is the closing month of the year, as well as the month of new beginnings. The 31 days of this month are perfumed with the scents of countless blooming flowers, as well as copious amounts of pollen (much to my nose's dismay). The Greenskeeper Gathering is the major Holiday, but Nature dragons look forward to Verdant Day just as much. This is the day they compete to see who is the best Gardener of them all. The winner supposedly gets to be the first to enjoy the wines that have been stowed away for the year, and also gets the best choice in the barrel they take home.

I believe that this guide should be helpful for those who reside in flights beyond mine. May the Lightweaver Shine upon those reading this.

-
Acolyte
Oh thank you ^^ This will be very helpful for future lore! Bookmarked! :)[emoji=blue gem]
Oh thank you ^^ This will be very helpful for future lore! Bookmarked! :)
Moofiegoo.gifuOiypcH.pngMoofiegoo.gif
@Pastie This is perfect for lore! I’ll bookmark this!~

So I gotta ask, where did you get the names for the months from?
@Pastie This is perfect for lore! I’ll bookmark this!~

So I gotta ask, where did you get the names for the months from?
MiowxPk.gif NNGMvB2.pngwwQtqt8.png
oh my gosh this is so cool! i'm certainly going to be incorporating these into my lore
oh my gosh this is so cool! i'm certainly going to be incorporating these into my lore
@Harana

I translated several words from different languages actually! The language was chosen based of of things in the country. ^^
Quote:
Lichta is the German word for light
Radi is Swahili for thunder
Ahi is Hawaiian for fire
Aster is short for Asteroid
Ghuthayan is Arabic for sickness
Geodus is a form of Geode
Null means nothing
Lednik is Russian for glacier
Katera is a shortening of the Greek word for trickster
Feng is Mandarin for wind
Hujan is Indonesian for rain
Floresta is Portuguese for forest
I hope this answers your question. <3
@Harana

I translated several words from different languages actually! The language was chosen based of of things in the country. ^^
Quote:
Lichta is the German word for light
Radi is Swahili for thunder
Ahi is Hawaiian for fire
Aster is short for Asteroid
Ghuthayan is Arabic for sickness
Geodus is a form of Geode
Null means nothing
Lednik is Russian for glacier
Katera is a shortening of the Greek word for trickster
Feng is Mandarin for wind
Hujan is Indonesian for rain
Floresta is Portuguese for forest
I hope this answers your question. <3
@Pastie I love this! But I must know; is there a northern and southern hermisphere in your lore? Could Lednik actually be the hottest part of summer in the southern Icefields? It could be that the Icewarden celebrates during this month because it’s warmer than usual and everyone can be festive outside their lairs with the warm weather!
@Pastie I love this! But I must know; is there a northern and southern hermisphere in your lore? Could Lednik actually be the hottest part of summer in the southern Icefields? It could be that the Icewarden celebrates during this month because it’s warmer than usual and everyone can be festive outside their lairs with the warm weather!
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
@Sludgy
I hadn't thought of that actually! But that is a really good idea. It would make sense, as Icewarden's Day is meant to be spent outside admiring the weather. ^^
@Sludgy
I hadn't thought of that actually! But that is a really good idea. It would make sense, as Icewarden's Day is meant to be spent outside admiring the weather. ^^
@Pastie this is very awesome. Great work
@Pastie this is very awesome. Great work
I'm rewriting Sol's character, so I've changed the name of the author dragon on this calendar to my placeholder exalt name.
I'm rewriting Sol's character, so I've changed the name of the author dragon on this calendar to my placeholder exalt name.
This is really cool! I'm going have to bookmark this. @Pastie, is it OK if I use this in my lore? calendar
This is really cool! I'm going have to bookmark this. @Pastie, is it OK if I use this in my lore? calendar
KvxzF3W.pngJcdyE1n.png opcExsG.png
BsnXCRp.png
0XHtpWy.png
J7D1quC.png

WKtl2lb.png
FObX7rS_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelFObX7rS_d.png
1 2