Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Nettle needs your feedback
Hi there, I'm trying to get back to drawing after major artblock so I tried to draw my boy Calvato, but there is still something I miss and the picture isn't right.

I feel like I can't deal with contrast and the whole thing is too blurry.

CLICK FOR THE IMAGE

Any feedback is welcome. I need advice how to fix my mistakes. And if there is anything else I'm missing, please, tell me about it. :)

Hi there, I'm trying to get back to drawing after major artblock so I tried to draw my boy Calvato, but there is still something I miss and the picture isn't right.

I feel like I can't deal with contrast and the whole thing is too blurry.

CLICK FOR THE IMAGE

Any feedback is welcome. I need advice how to fix my mistakes. And if there is anything else I'm missing, please, tell me about it. :)

I think part of the contrast issue might be that the light source seems a bit inconsistent--I like how the light hits the brow and chin, but then other points seem to indicate the light is coming from elsewhere? The rendering on the beard is super but it doesn't match the lighting elsewhere.

It might be the sharp rendering on the beard and brow that make the rest seem blurry by comparison too. Just grab a nice big, hard brush and go in with confidence!

As a final note, you might benefit from adjusting the hues to purely black/white for a moment to check how well the values read. If you want the front of the face/eyes to stand out, you could highlight them even more and push the rest even further into shadow. Hope that helps!
I think part of the contrast issue might be that the light source seems a bit inconsistent--I like how the light hits the brow and chin, but then other points seem to indicate the light is coming from elsewhere? The rendering on the beard is super but it doesn't match the lighting elsewhere.

It might be the sharp rendering on the beard and brow that make the rest seem blurry by comparison too. Just grab a nice big, hard brush and go in with confidence!

As a final note, you might benefit from adjusting the hues to purely black/white for a moment to check how well the values read. If you want the front of the face/eyes to stand out, you could highlight them even more and push the rest even further into shadow. Hope that helps!
You're right I totally lost the light source, I have to find it :D

I've heard about turning the image into greyscale, it didn't work for me so I'll definitely try the hue adjusting.

Thank you so much!
You're right I totally lost the light source, I have to find it :D

I've heard about turning the image into greyscale, it didn't work for me so I'll definitely try the hue adjusting.

Thank you so much!