Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | woo critiques (open)
Hi I'm bored (again) and I want to do something before my next dnd session so here are some more critiques for folks who want them??
Please only post one image you want critiqued also by posting you're okay with me editing your image for the sake of illustrating what I'm talking about :-) No real paintovers today though because my wrist is still injured

I'll try to critique everything, but I'm not very well versed in dragon and animal anatomy
My last critique will be in about 5 hours from now because that's when we'll start playing, first response may be slow because I'm trying to prepare dinner haha

Also I'm no expert nor professional by any means so I'll get things wrong and you're free to disagree with me or teach me a thing or two!
Here are my previous critiques and here's my art if anyone wants to know what you're getting yourself into
Hi I'm bored (again) and I want to do something before my next dnd session so here are some more critiques for folks who want them??
Please only post one image you want critiqued also by posting you're okay with me editing your image for the sake of illustrating what I'm talking about :-) No real paintovers today though because my wrist is still injured

I'll try to critique everything, but I'm not very well versed in dragon and animal anatomy
My last critique will be in about 5 hours from now because that's when we'll start playing, first response may be slow because I'm trying to prepare dinner haha

Also I'm no expert nor professional by any means so I'll get things wrong and you're free to disagree with me or teach me a thing or two!
Here are my previous critiques and here's my art if anyone wants to know what you're getting yourself into
xxxxxNIKOLAI / 23 / +9H
xxxxxART xxxxTWITTER
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkUamC9i.png
@Silverhame Ah no worries I can definitely critique something bigger since I'll just focus on 1-2 points anyway! Something I've noticed but won't really go into: Your figure looks to be very tall I'm not sure if this was intended, but I felt like you were going for a more 'intimidating' look for the nature I've made a small edit to reflect some more drastic height differences, but I don't know if that's what you were going for so sorry if I'm wrong here! I think the two main things I want to critique on this is [b]using different colors as a way to create focus and depth[/b] as well as [b]contrast[/b]. (Not in the way you described, but using contrast to create focus and kinda guide the eye) Okay let's start by talking about [b]contrast and focus[/b]: There are three main things that really catch the eye: 1) The main figure (which is probably intended :~D) 2) Bright birds 3) The small batch of green on the bottom left where the very saturated green brushes up against the darkest colors I don't think the second ones were intended so a good way to check for focal points you might not want is just to quint your eye and/or zoom out quite a bit. I tried guarding the focus a little more towards the figure by kinda enforcing that brightness gradient you were I think aiming for, which is a good and simple way to guide the eye towards where you want: [img]https://i.imgur.com/DnCZ1TY.png[/img] You can also do the same with the saturation of your image: e.g. have your focal point be more saturated than the background. [b]Colors [/b] I won't be getting too in-depth with color theory, but the main point here is that [i]colors interact with oneanother[/i]! For instance: if you have a green lighting or a green setting your highlights as well as shadows will be naturally more green even if that surface isn't green in itself. So something that'd be white appear in a light green tone, or a green greyish tone depending how strong the lighting/green palette is. You already incorporated saturated tones in your shading, but don't be afraid to apply them to the surfaces themselves as well! :-) Okay there's one last thing I wanna touch on: Diversifying your color palette You currently almost exclusively use colors of the same hue, essentially like using just one pencil but sometimes pressing hard and sometimes light. Here are some solutions for helping that: - Diversifying lighting e.g.: having a sunset influence the greens with orange, blue and lilac tones in the backgrounds -> different colors in shadows & highlights - Diversifying your subject matte e.g.: having some more colorful spots (flowers, fruits, ponds/water, differently colored leaves) that'll be incluenced by green but not taken over by it - Reducing the prominent green lighting e.g.: Making sky, rocks etc. a little more "natural" while still leaving a tint of green (natural colors of things won't be as saturated) This sounds really abstract so here's a small edit to show you what I mean [img]https://i.imgur.com/9sxNHi3.png[/img] It's by no means perfect but it kinda helps breaking up some of the greens, the changes made are: - Introducing different saturation and hues of green (more blue-ish) on the trees - Having the "natural" colors of sky and mountains shine through a little more - Added some turquoise stars because I'm too lazy to paint fauna rn sorry;; Anyway happy to see you starting on digital art I hope you're having a great time with it and that I could help out a little, you're doing great already! <3 [b]Edit: [/b] Edit: just felt like adding that I'm looking to make an art dump to go along with my shop soon, and hoping to hear some advice and yes/no on that. ---- I can't really talk to you about that since sharing your art isn't always positive for your art itself (e.g. feeling pressured to create something presentable, rushing out things to get validation), but getting feedback and interacting on the other hand is great for developing your art. I don't think there's anything too bad that could happen if you're conscious of the negative effects so yeah why not give it a shot and see if it works for you? It could be a great way to get people interested and get more feedback :-)
@Silverhame

Ah no worries I can definitely critique something bigger since I'll just focus on 1-2 points anyway!

Something I've noticed but won't really go into:
Your figure looks to be very tall I'm not sure if this was intended, but I felt like you were going for a more 'intimidating' look for the nature
I've made a small edit to reflect some more drastic height differences, but I don't know if that's what you were going for so sorry if I'm wrong here!

I think the two main things I want to critique on this is using different colors as a way to create focus and depth as well as contrast. (Not in the way you described, but using contrast to create focus and kinda guide the eye)

Okay let's start by talking about contrast and focus:
There are three main things that really catch the eye:
1) The main figure (which is probably intended :~D)
2) Bright birds
3) The small batch of green on the bottom left where the very saturated green brushes up against the darkest colors
I don't think the second ones were intended so a good way to check for focal points you might not want is just to quint your eye and/or zoom out quite a bit.

I tried guarding the focus a little more towards the figure by kinda enforcing that brightness gradient you were I think aiming for, which is a good and simple way to guide the eye towards where you want:
DnCZ1TY.png
You can also do the same with the saturation of your image: e.g. have your focal point be more saturated than the background.

Colors
I won't be getting too in-depth with color theory, but the main point here is that colors interact with oneanother!
For instance: if you have a green lighting or a green setting your highlights as well as shadows will be naturally more green even if that surface isn't green in itself. So something that'd be white appear in a light green tone, or a green greyish tone depending how strong the lighting/green palette is.
You already incorporated saturated tones in your shading, but don't be afraid to apply them to the surfaces themselves as well! :-)

Okay there's one last thing I wanna touch on: Diversifying your color palette
You currently almost exclusively use colors of the same hue, essentially like using just one pencil but sometimes pressing hard and sometimes light. Here are some solutions for helping that:
- Diversifying lighting e.g.: having a sunset influence the greens with orange, blue and lilac tones in the backgrounds -> different colors in shadows & highlights
- Diversifying your subject matte e.g.: having some more colorful spots (flowers, fruits, ponds/water, differently colored leaves) that'll be incluenced by green but not taken over by it
- Reducing the prominent green lighting e.g.: Making sky, rocks etc. a little more "natural" while still leaving a tint of green (natural colors of things won't be as saturated)

This sounds really abstract so here's a small edit to show you what I mean
9sxNHi3.png
It's by no means perfect but it kinda helps breaking up some of the greens, the changes made are:
- Introducing different saturation and hues of green (more blue-ish) on the trees
- Having the "natural" colors of sky and mountains shine through a little more
- Added some turquoise stars because I'm too lazy to paint fauna rn sorry;;

Anyway happy to see you starting on digital art I hope you're having a great time with it and that I could help out a little, you're doing great already! <3

Edit:

Edit: just felt like adding that I'm looking to make an art dump to go along with my shop soon, and hoping to hear some advice and yes/no on that.

----

I can't really talk to you about that since sharing your art isn't always positive for your art itself (e.g. feeling pressured to create something presentable, rushing out things to get validation), but getting feedback and interacting on the other hand is great for developing your art. I don't think there's anything too bad that could happen if you're conscious of the negative effects so yeah why not give it a shot and see if it works for you? It could be a great way to get people interested and get more feedback :-)
xxxxxNIKOLAI / 23 / +9H
xxxxxART xxxxTWITTER
@Silverhame I'm glad you found it helpful!

I feel you, the amount of effort & time wide-range shots take is just...tiring so kudos to you for sticking with it. :'-) Oh, I see you could apply that to the mountain as well though it may be a little difficult since the forest and figure are so detailed.. a sequel: the figure is now on the mountain haha

Really? I didn't know that I thought you could always delete them :'O You could try posting every image in separate/child post so even if you can't delete the thread you can always take them down. I didn't want to frighten you though, sharing art is an amazing experience, but some of the downsides are never talked about I feel especially when you're setting yourself up for a regular schedule
@Silverhame I'm glad you found it helpful!

I feel you, the amount of effort & time wide-range shots take is just...tiring so kudos to you for sticking with it. :'-) Oh, I see you could apply that to the mountain as well though it may be a little difficult since the forest and figure are so detailed.. a sequel: the figure is now on the mountain haha

Really? I didn't know that I thought you could always delete them :'O You could try posting every image in separate/child post so even if you can't delete the thread you can always take them down. I didn't want to frighten you though, sharing art is an amazing experience, but some of the downsides are never talked about I feel especially when you're setting yourself up for a regular schedule
xxxxxNIKOLAI / 23 / +9H
xxxxxART xxxxTWITTER
open once again before my semester starts :'-)
open once again before my semester starts :'-)
xxxxxNIKOLAI / 23 / +9H
xxxxxART xxxxTWITTER
x
x
xxxxxNIKOLAI / 23 / +9H
xxxxxART xxxxTWITTER