Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | My Nuzlocke blog stories
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This is really amazing and heartbreaking!

Could you ping me when you add more entries?
This is really amazing and heartbreaking!

Could you ping me when you add more entries?
ck2CMHK.gif
@AnnaStar353 @Havril @SkylineCity

Day 100 (written for Day 99)

She fell from the sky, like an angel.

That was Losis’ first thought when he saw her. That tiny Fae, mulberry and grey and white, covered in stripes of all kinds, lay on the ground before him for long minutes before rising. Eyes of pale blue–Ice flight, Losis recalled–opened wide in panic.

She was certain that her wings were broken. How could they not be broken after such a long fall? Yet they were intact, not a scratch or tear in them from her death-defying plummet from the sky.

She didn’t notice Losis through the whole affair. When she finally did, she cowered at his size. She wasn’t even two meters yet Losis towered over her at almost a staggering twenty meters. He was a giant compared to her.

“Are you an angel?”

Those were the first words out of Losis’ mouth. Cheesy? Certainly. Truthful? Absolutely.

The only other Fae that Losis had known was Chocomint and she had died quite a while ago. She had been very different from this frantic, high-energy Fae before him. This Fae was the opposite of Chocomint in every way Losis could think, which was rather limited because he had barely known the chocolate-colored Fae.

“No, I’m not an angel. More like a failure,” the Fae replied, getting up warily. “The Frostwarden abandoned me, cast me out of the flight. I’ve been flying for ages until now. This big wind hit me, knocked me right out. Then I woke up here.”

“You fell.”

“I bet I did. I sure didn’t keep flying.”

Her name was Swiftflight, which she viewed as a joke. Two months old and she was hardly a fast flier. She preferred to glide than actually fly. She thought perhaps that was why the Frostwarden got rid of her.

“Have you seen this eye-blinding blue Mirror around? We were journeying together,” Swiftflight explained.

“My dad might’ve found her. He looks all over for orphaned babies and stuff. Maybe he knows where your friend is,” Losis suggested.

Losis carried Swiftflight on his head and they talked. He told her about the plague, the deaths, and the battles in the wilderness. About his dead brother Cad and his distant sister Betes, about his parents and other family members. About the orphans and their love lives. He could talk forever.

Swiftflight told him about the clan she had been exiled from. She and her friend, a nameless sapphire Mirror, had been tossed out together. They had planned to head for Water territory, hoping to get the Tidelord to appease the Frostwarden into letting them go home. Secretly though, the Fae doubted the Tidelord would care about the plight of two wayward Ice dragons.

When they reached the lair, Swiftflight cried with joy as she pounced from Losis’ head to the head of a sapphire-blue Mirror with grape-colored wings–her best friend. The Mirror looked newly grown, maybe six days old at most compared to her companion.

They reunited tearfully before the Mirror began to explain. She got lost when the wind hit and panicked when she realized Swiftflight was missing. Racing around amidst the boneyard, she crossed paths with a Guardian who offered her shelter in their lair. That Guardian was Zone, Losis’ identical-looking father.

“It’s too dangerous to keep going alone like this,” Swiftflight said sadly. “We’re in the middle of Plague territory. Is it okay if we can stay with you guys? I’m sorry that this is so unexpected but…the Tidelord has no reason to help us. He probably has his own problems.”

“Yeah…” the Mirror admitted.

“Of course you can stay,” Safe reassured. “We welcome any dragon that comes here. Stay as long as you wish. We have enough room.”

So Swiftflight and her friend–who named herself Flin with Safe’s help–chose to stay in the lair with Losis’ clan. Flin was all too happy to assist Remia in caring for her two young hatchlings, being an overgrown hatchling herself. Her excitement grew when Zone brought in Kemia, a tiny Spiral with glittering obsidian scales, from the wastelands outside.

As the day went on, Losis and Swiftflight grew closer. Losis had seen many in his family fall in love, even his sister despite her distance. Losis hadn’t thought much on finding a mate of his own.

“Do you love someone?” he asked.

“I’m not sure about love. Love is reciprocal. I like someone, though,” Swiftflight replied, resting against one of his large forelegs. “Do you like someone, Losis?”

“Yeah,” Losis nodded. “She fell from the sky, like an angel.”

Day 100 (written for Day 99)

She fell from the sky, like an angel.

That was Losis’ first thought when he saw her. That tiny Fae, mulberry and grey and white, covered in stripes of all kinds, lay on the ground before him for long minutes before rising. Eyes of pale blue–Ice flight, Losis recalled–opened wide in panic.

She was certain that her wings were broken. How could they not be broken after such a long fall? Yet they were intact, not a scratch or tear in them from her death-defying plummet from the sky.

She didn’t notice Losis through the whole affair. When she finally did, she cowered at his size. She wasn’t even two meters yet Losis towered over her at almost a staggering twenty meters. He was a giant compared to her.

“Are you an angel?”

Those were the first words out of Losis’ mouth. Cheesy? Certainly. Truthful? Absolutely.

The only other Fae that Losis had known was Chocomint and she had died quite a while ago. She had been very different from this frantic, high-energy Fae before him. This Fae was the opposite of Chocomint in every way Losis could think, which was rather limited because he had barely known the chocolate-colored Fae.

“No, I’m not an angel. More like a failure,” the Fae replied, getting up warily. “The Frostwarden abandoned me, cast me out of the flight. I’ve been flying for ages until now. This big wind hit me, knocked me right out. Then I woke up here.”

“You fell.”

“I bet I did. I sure didn’t keep flying.”

Her name was Swiftflight, which she viewed as a joke. Two months old and she was hardly a fast flier. She preferred to glide than actually fly. She thought perhaps that was why the Frostwarden got rid of her.

“Have you seen this eye-blinding blue Mirror around? We were journeying together,” Swiftflight explained.

“My dad might’ve found her. He looks all over for orphaned babies and stuff. Maybe he knows where your friend is,” Losis suggested.

Losis carried Swiftflight on his head and they talked. He told her about the plague, the deaths, and the battles in the wilderness. About his dead brother Cad and his distant sister Betes, about his parents and other family members. About the orphans and their love lives. He could talk forever.

Swiftflight told him about the clan she had been exiled from. She and her friend, a nameless sapphire Mirror, had been tossed out together. They had planned to head for Water territory, hoping to get the Tidelord to appease the Frostwarden into letting them go home. Secretly though, the Fae doubted the Tidelord would care about the plight of two wayward Ice dragons.

When they reached the lair, Swiftflight cried with joy as she pounced from Losis’ head to the head of a sapphire-blue Mirror with grape-colored wings–her best friend. The Mirror looked newly grown, maybe six days old at most compared to her companion.

They reunited tearfully before the Mirror began to explain. She got lost when the wind hit and panicked when she realized Swiftflight was missing. Racing around amidst the boneyard, she crossed paths with a Guardian who offered her shelter in their lair. That Guardian was Zone, Losis’ identical-looking father.

“It’s too dangerous to keep going alone like this,” Swiftflight said sadly. “We’re in the middle of Plague territory. Is it okay if we can stay with you guys? I’m sorry that this is so unexpected but…the Tidelord has no reason to help us. He probably has his own problems.”

“Yeah…” the Mirror admitted.

“Of course you can stay,” Safe reassured. “We welcome any dragon that comes here. Stay as long as you wish. We have enough room.”

So Swiftflight and her friend–who named herself Flin with Safe’s help–chose to stay in the lair with Losis’ clan. Flin was all too happy to assist Remia in caring for her two young hatchlings, being an overgrown hatchling herself. Her excitement grew when Zone brought in Kemia, a tiny Spiral with glittering obsidian scales, from the wastelands outside.

As the day went on, Losis and Swiftflight grew closer. Losis had seen many in his family fall in love, even his sister despite her distance. Losis hadn’t thought much on finding a mate of his own.

“Do you love someone?” he asked.

“I’m not sure about love. Love is reciprocal. I like someone, though,” Swiftflight replied, resting against one of his large forelegs. “Do you like someone, Losis?”

“Yeah,” Losis nodded. “She fell from the sky, like an angel.”
And all the dergs cried out, "Please stop, you're scaring me!" I can't help this awful energy. Plaguebringer's right, you should be scared of me. Who is in control?

Day 103 (written for Day 102)

Remia watched her children strut about the lair with pride. Six days. Six days since they were born and now look at them! They were so beautiful!

Remia couldn’t help but be proud.

Mani with his nightshade skin and brilliant sapphire wings, clicked his curved thumb claw. His sister Laria, plum-skinned and storm-winged, a paler version of her sibling, mimicked him. They both circled each other, testing out size and strength, comparing.

Mani was bigger, longer, but Laria had the bigger wingspan. They flared and hissed at each other in mock-ferocity. Mani pounced on his sister, only to be flipped and pinned. Laria was heavier by nearly 20KG.

The siblings parted, starting again from the beginning. Posture, hiss and flare, pounce, pin. A dance of pretend war.

Remia bristled briefly when something touched her side, only to relax. It was Thrax, her mate. The Imperial rested beside her, nuzzling her long face with his own whiskered one. He was almost 15M longer than her but they fit together so well. It truly was lovely.

They watched their children try out their new, larger, stronger adult bodies, and felt pride.

Day 103 (written for Day 102)

Remia watched her children strut about the lair with pride. Six days. Six days since they were born and now look at them! They were so beautiful!

Remia couldn’t help but be proud.

Mani with his nightshade skin and brilliant sapphire wings, clicked his curved thumb claw. His sister Laria, plum-skinned and storm-winged, a paler version of her sibling, mimicked him. They both circled each other, testing out size and strength, comparing.

Mani was bigger, longer, but Laria had the bigger wingspan. They flared and hissed at each other in mock-ferocity. Mani pounced on his sister, only to be flipped and pinned. Laria was heavier by nearly 20KG.

The siblings parted, starting again from the beginning. Posture, hiss and flare, pounce, pin. A dance of pretend war.

Remia bristled briefly when something touched her side, only to relax. It was Thrax, her mate. The Imperial rested beside her, nuzzling her long face with his own whiskered one. He was almost 15M longer than her but they fit together so well. It truly was lovely.

They watched their children try out their new, larger, stronger adult bodies, and felt pride.
And all the dergs cried out, "Please stop, you're scaring me!" I can't help this awful energy. Plaguebringer's right, you should be scared of me. Who is in control?

Day 103

He was handsome. That was what Laria decided.

She watched Malar stretch his chocolate wings, yawning in the afternoon sun. The carmine Guardian had awoken from a nap, sleepy-eyed and loose-jawed. It was adorable.

He was two months older than her, the first grandchild of Safe and Zone, makers of their clan. Winse and Betes’ first son. Theria and Rosi’s older brother.

He was beautiful. Handsome. Gorgeous.

Laria wanted to run up to him, proclaim her love, kiss and nuzzle him like she saw her mother do to her father.

But…she was…too shy…

Malar was so much bigger than her. What if he rejected her? Thought she was strange? Hated her?

She was certain her heart would break into a million pieces. She’d have to leave the clan and live as a hermit somewhere far away from home.

“Having fun staring?”

Laria screamed so loud that everyone looked at her. Face hot, she turned and darted away. Her brother snickered, tailing her as they headed out into the boneyard to escape the stares.

Malar had been staring at her. Oh, Plaguebringer!

Mani grinned toothily when they finally stopped. He barely opened his mouth before he was yelping, ducking away from swinging claws and shouted insults. Mani cowered beneath his sister’s rage before pouncing, sending the Wildclaw siblings rolling across the ground, kicking up dust and shards of bone.

Though he was lighter, Mani managed to pin his sister. “Hey, cool it! It was a joke!”

“You don’t understand! You made him stare at me!” Laria cried, flailing beneath him. “He probably thinks I’m crazy or something! Augh! Why?!”

“Hey, relax! So you screamed. Everyone screams. That doesn’t mean we’re all crazy,” Mani reassured gently.

“You don’t get it,” Laria choked, eyes burning with unshed tears. “You don’t get it…”

Mani frowned before lowering his head to nuzzle his sister. “Actually…I’ve been doing staring of my own…at Somia…”

“Huh?”

Somia was the spotted black great-grandchild of Safe and Zone. Pati and Legion’s daughter. Jakob’s sister. Had Mani really been…?

“I get what you’re going through. I’m scared of making her think I’m weird. So…” Mani looked away, embarrassed. “Maybe we could help each other?”

Laria slowly smiled. Her brother was a genius.

Day 103

He was handsome. That was what Laria decided.

She watched Malar stretch his chocolate wings, yawning in the afternoon sun. The carmine Guardian had awoken from a nap, sleepy-eyed and loose-jawed. It was adorable.

He was two months older than her, the first grandchild of Safe and Zone, makers of their clan. Winse and Betes’ first son. Theria and Rosi’s older brother.

He was beautiful. Handsome. Gorgeous.

Laria wanted to run up to him, proclaim her love, kiss and nuzzle him like she saw her mother do to her father.

But…she was…too shy…

Malar was so much bigger than her. What if he rejected her? Thought she was strange? Hated her?

She was certain her heart would break into a million pieces. She’d have to leave the clan and live as a hermit somewhere far away from home.

“Having fun staring?”

Laria screamed so loud that everyone looked at her. Face hot, she turned and darted away. Her brother snickered, tailing her as they headed out into the boneyard to escape the stares.

Malar had been staring at her. Oh, Plaguebringer!

Mani grinned toothily when they finally stopped. He barely opened his mouth before he was yelping, ducking away from swinging claws and shouted insults. Mani cowered beneath his sister’s rage before pouncing, sending the Wildclaw siblings rolling across the ground, kicking up dust and shards of bone.

Though he was lighter, Mani managed to pin his sister. “Hey, cool it! It was a joke!”

“You don’t understand! You made him stare at me!” Laria cried, flailing beneath him. “He probably thinks I’m crazy or something! Augh! Why?!”

“Hey, relax! So you screamed. Everyone screams. That doesn’t mean we’re all crazy,” Mani reassured gently.

“You don’t get it,” Laria choked, eyes burning with unshed tears. “You don’t get it…”

Mani frowned before lowering his head to nuzzle his sister. “Actually…I’ve been doing staring of my own…at Somia…”

“Huh?”

Somia was the spotted black great-grandchild of Safe and Zone. Pati and Legion’s daughter. Jakob’s sister. Had Mani really been…?

“I get what you’re going through. I’m scared of making her think I’m weird. So…” Mani looked away, embarrassed. “Maybe we could help each other?”

Laria slowly smiled. Her brother was a genius.

Day 107

Kemia was peculiar. She spent all of her time just staring into space. Sometimes she’d smile or frown but there were very little words to be pulled from her. The crystal-scaled Spiral simply didn’t talk much.

Flin was charged with caring for the two youngsters once she joined the clan. The sapphire Mirror had watched Mani and Laria grow up into gorgeous adult Wildclaws. Just yesterday, Kemia had grown too.

That just left tiny Pall, the little blue Fae found in a scavenged egg in Light territory. Zone had been so proud when he found the egg. He’d swaggered into the lair, egg in his jaws, joy in his eyes. Safe had cried when she saw it.

Nobody understood except Winse. He’d been there to see the last scavenged egg hatch–Bola the Mirror from Wind flight. Bola, who had died in the Day 13 massacre with Pizzicato and Malihini. His fellow orphans and his pseudo-siblings for seven days.

Pall was three days old now, eyes golden. He was curious but quiet. When he spoke, it was a monotone sound. He spoke little but straight to the point.

He and Kemia were very alike in that manner.

But Pall couldn’t see Bola. He didn’t know she existed. He didn’t know death yet.

Kemia could see Bola. She could see everyone–Pizzicato, Malihini, Bola, Cad, and all the rest who had died in this clan. Everyone that Safe mourned in the graveyard. Kemia knew them all–their names, their stories, their deaths. She knew because they told her.

Kemia watched Bola hover over Pall, a smile on her pointed face. She was proud. She had begged deities the world over to send her adopted family an egg, to give them hope. The deities ignored her pleas, ignored the lingering spirit.

But the Lightweaver showed kindness that had not been seen since the clan’s creation, when the Windsinger had left Bola’s egg for Zone to find. It was a personal victory for the deceased Mirror.

Kemia watched and listened as the ghosts mingled with the living, nuzzling loved ones, whispering encouragements, pouring love into their closest friends and family. The clan could not see or hear them, but they were there.

Kemia did not speak because she did not want them to leave. So she kept her silence and watched.

Day 107

Kemia was peculiar. She spent all of her time just staring into space. Sometimes she’d smile or frown but there were very little words to be pulled from her. The crystal-scaled Spiral simply didn’t talk much.

Flin was charged with caring for the two youngsters once she joined the clan. The sapphire Mirror had watched Mani and Laria grow up into gorgeous adult Wildclaws. Just yesterday, Kemia had grown too.

That just left tiny Pall, the little blue Fae found in a scavenged egg in Light territory. Zone had been so proud when he found the egg. He’d swaggered into the lair, egg in his jaws, joy in his eyes. Safe had cried when she saw it.

Nobody understood except Winse. He’d been there to see the last scavenged egg hatch–Bola the Mirror from Wind flight. Bola, who had died in the Day 13 massacre with Pizzicato and Malihini. His fellow orphans and his pseudo-siblings for seven days.

Pall was three days old now, eyes golden. He was curious but quiet. When he spoke, it was a monotone sound. He spoke little but straight to the point.

He and Kemia were very alike in that manner.

But Pall couldn’t see Bola. He didn’t know she existed. He didn’t know death yet.

Kemia could see Bola. She could see everyone–Pizzicato, Malihini, Bola, Cad, and all the rest who had died in this clan. Everyone that Safe mourned in the graveyard. Kemia knew them all–their names, their stories, their deaths. She knew because they told her.

Kemia watched Bola hover over Pall, a smile on her pointed face. She was proud. She had begged deities the world over to send her adopted family an egg, to give them hope. The deities ignored her pleas, ignored the lingering spirit.

But the Lightweaver showed kindness that had not been seen since the clan’s creation, when the Windsinger had left Bola’s egg for Zone to find. It was a personal victory for the deceased Mirror.

Kemia watched and listened as the ghosts mingled with the living, nuzzling loved ones, whispering encouragements, pouring love into their closest friends and family. The clan could not see or hear them, but they were there.

Kemia did not speak because she did not want them to leave. So she kept her silence and watched.

Day 110 (written for Day 109)

Lymph was seated atop the rocky mound that formed the top of their Abiding Boneyard lair when he felt the ground shudder. Something massive was approaching him from behind. The Skydancer was unafraid. The smell of his visitor was familiar.

“She’d be proud of you, you know.”

“Would she?” Lymph asked, staring at the starry sky.

“She would be. She loved you so much, Lymph. Who wouldn’t be proud of you for getting this far?”

Lymph shrugged. The stars glittered across the inky black canvas of the sky. If he squinted hard enough, they seemed to turn gold.

Like Leth’s eyes.

“I don’t feel any different than I did before,” he muttered.

“Neither did I. But my power increased.”

“It wasn’t enough to get through Scorched Forest,” Lymph recalled. “Or save Tussis. Or save Chocomint.”

His visitor fell silent. “…I know.”

“Then what’s the point? It’s hurting more than helping,” Lymph stated.

“I’d rather not sit around here, pumping out babies, like mom and dad are. I want to give myself a better future than waiting for the plague to kill my children.”

“So you’d rather have wild beasts do it?”

“It’s not my fault that Tussis and Chocomint died and it isn’t your fault that Leth died!”

Lymph froze for a moment before settling. He sighed sadly.

His visitor sighed before moving in, nudging their smaller sibling in sympathy. “We both make mistakes. We aren’t perfect. We can’t turn back time and stop what happened.”

“Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could?” Lymph whispered.

“…Yeah. Yeah, it would be.”

“Winse?”

“…Yeah?”

“Do you really think Leth is proud of me?”

“…You’re alive and you’re happy. I think that should be answer enough.”

Winse turned, slowly descending back to the ground. He’d done his job, lifting his pseudo-sibling’s spirits. He’d seen the flicker of a smile on Lymph’s face, the shine of tears in his soft green eyes.

Leth would certainly be proud of her mate. No doubt about it.

Day 110 (written for Day 109)

Lymph was seated atop the rocky mound that formed the top of their Abiding Boneyard lair when he felt the ground shudder. Something massive was approaching him from behind. The Skydancer was unafraid. The smell of his visitor was familiar.

“She’d be proud of you, you know.”

“Would she?” Lymph asked, staring at the starry sky.

“She would be. She loved you so much, Lymph. Who wouldn’t be proud of you for getting this far?”

Lymph shrugged. The stars glittered across the inky black canvas of the sky. If he squinted hard enough, they seemed to turn gold.

Like Leth’s eyes.

“I don’t feel any different than I did before,” he muttered.

“Neither did I. But my power increased.”

“It wasn’t enough to get through Scorched Forest,” Lymph recalled. “Or save Tussis. Or save Chocomint.”

His visitor fell silent. “…I know.”

“Then what’s the point? It’s hurting more than helping,” Lymph stated.

“I’d rather not sit around here, pumping out babies, like mom and dad are. I want to give myself a better future than waiting for the plague to kill my children.”

“So you’d rather have wild beasts do it?”

“It’s not my fault that Tussis and Chocomint died and it isn’t your fault that Leth died!”

Lymph froze for a moment before settling. He sighed sadly.

His visitor sighed before moving in, nudging their smaller sibling in sympathy. “We both make mistakes. We aren’t perfect. We can’t turn back time and stop what happened.”

“Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could?” Lymph whispered.

“…Yeah. Yeah, it would be.”

“Winse?”

“…Yeah?”

“Do you really think Leth is proud of me?”

“…You’re alive and you’re happy. I think that should be answer enough.”

Winse turned, slowly descending back to the ground. He’d done his job, lifting his pseudo-sibling’s spirits. He’d seen the flicker of a smile on Lymph’s face, the shine of tears in his soft green eyes.

Leth would certainly be proud of her mate. No doubt about it.

Day 113 (written for Day 111)

The tiny pink Skydancer buried against his mother’s belly, munching food between his newborn jaws. His tiny red eyes looked around curiously. A fluffy tail flicked idly.

Lassa nuzzled her son, Lyme, with all the love a new mother possibly could. Against all odds, her only child had lived. Lyme had survived the plague that had killed countless hatchlings before him.

She wondered if it was her uncle Malar’s luck rubbing off on her. He too had survived as a nest of one egg, she recalled.

Dreamer joined her, bringing some more food to feed their new child. Lyme squeaked, nosing his father’s snout before crunching on his meal. Dreamer smiled lovingly at his child.

Lyme had no clue how lucky he was to still be alive right now.

Day 113 (written for Day 111)

The tiny pink Skydancer buried against his mother’s belly, munching food between his newborn jaws. His tiny red eyes looked around curiously. A fluffy tail flicked idly.

Lassa nuzzled her son, Lyme, with all the love a new mother possibly could. Against all odds, her only child had lived. Lyme had survived the plague that had killed countless hatchlings before him.

She wondered if it was her uncle Malar’s luck rubbing off on her. He too had survived as a nest of one egg, she recalled.

Dreamer joined her, bringing some more food to feed their new child. Lyme squeaked, nosing his father’s snout before crunching on his meal. Dreamer smiled lovingly at his child.

Lyme had no clue how lucky he was to still be alive right now.

Day 113 (written for Day 112)

Zone pushed the last bit of dirt over the graves of two more of his children. It was both a happy and a sad day.

This recent nest of his and Safe’s had yielded all Mirrors, two daughters and a son. One daughter and the son, both vermilion-colored, had perished. The daughter was Lera. The son was Astro.

Their surviving sister, Besio, was still alive. Where their bodies had weakened and perished after hatching, Besio’s managed to stay strong and breathing. A steady stream of meat scraps had bolstered her spirit enough to keep living despite the hardships her tiny body had gone through in breaking out of her egg.

Besio’s dark red frame was huddled beside her mother, snoozing. She was unaware of the losses she had suffered. She did not know that her siblings were both dead.

That would be news to deliver at a later date. For now, the rest of the clan would carry that burden for her. Zone held a heavy heart…but he would persist. He would survive this, as he had the rest before her siblings’ deaths.

Until then, he would carry a smile and make faces. Bring his newest daughter joy. Make the most of her few innocent days.

They were extremely limited, after all. It’d be a shame to waste them with mourning.

Day 113 (written for Day 112)

Zone pushed the last bit of dirt over the graves of two more of his children. It was both a happy and a sad day.

This recent nest of his and Safe’s had yielded all Mirrors, two daughters and a son. One daughter and the son, both vermilion-colored, had perished. The daughter was Lera. The son was Astro.

Their surviving sister, Besio, was still alive. Where their bodies had weakened and perished after hatching, Besio’s managed to stay strong and breathing. A steady stream of meat scraps had bolstered her spirit enough to keep living despite the hardships her tiny body had gone through in breaking out of her egg.

Besio’s dark red frame was huddled beside her mother, snoozing. She was unaware of the losses she had suffered. She did not know that her siblings were both dead.

That would be news to deliver at a later date. For now, the rest of the clan would carry that burden for her. Zone held a heavy heart…but he would persist. He would survive this, as he had the rest before her siblings’ deaths.

Until then, he would carry a smile and make faces. Bring his newest daughter joy. Make the most of her few innocent days.

They were extremely limited, after all. It’d be a shame to waste them with mourning.

Day 113

Lock felt a shudder rip through her as she watched Zone, the mighty patriarch of their clan, leave the lair with two tiny bodies in his jaws. Two of his three Mirror children, dead from plague.

Her memories of her hatching day were hazy. Her first few days of life were happy–playing with Jakob and Somia, being fed scraps from her mother, watching for her father to come back with a less lifeless look in his eyes. She wanted to say there was no sadness in her life.

But she remembered three motionless forms on that day. Her brothers, all dead. The plague had claimed them. It hadn’t been able to kill her, so it took them instead.

So rarely did the plague leave a nest untouched. It would claim as many lives as it could sink its claws into. Lock had no doubt the plague would have killed her too if not for…whatever it was inside of her that kept her living that fateful day.

Her red eyes drifted across the two sets of parents.

Dreamer and Lassa nuzzled their only child. Lyme had survived, much like Malar had before him. The one-egg nests seem to have a knack for evading the plague entirely.

Safe curled around her new daughter Besio. Zone had come back, dirt smudging his tomato-red snout. His deceased children now buried, he hunkered down around his small mate and his surviving daughter. Loss was nothing new to them, having had a new nest at every given opportunity since the clan’s creation one hundred and thirteen days ago.

Lock looked down at her own three eggs, drifting and bobbing in the hissing green goo of their stump nest. How many of her children would die in two days when they hatched? All of them? None of them? One or two of them?

Tryp had returned, fish in his jaws. He split his catch, knowing her habit of picky eating. The irony of being a Ridgeback–hating water but only eating seafood. It was a good thing her Guardian mate had learned to be such a good swimmer.

She ate, eyeing her family and the newborns, then looking at her own nest. Loss made her worried.

How many would she lose in two days?

Day 113

Lock felt a shudder rip through her as she watched Zone, the mighty patriarch of their clan, leave the lair with two tiny bodies in his jaws. Two of his three Mirror children, dead from plague.

Her memories of her hatching day were hazy. Her first few days of life were happy–playing with Jakob and Somia, being fed scraps from her mother, watching for her father to come back with a less lifeless look in his eyes. She wanted to say there was no sadness in her life.

But she remembered three motionless forms on that day. Her brothers, all dead. The plague had claimed them. It hadn’t been able to kill her, so it took them instead.

So rarely did the plague leave a nest untouched. It would claim as many lives as it could sink its claws into. Lock had no doubt the plague would have killed her too if not for…whatever it was inside of her that kept her living that fateful day.

Her red eyes drifted across the two sets of parents.

Dreamer and Lassa nuzzled their only child. Lyme had survived, much like Malar had before him. The one-egg nests seem to have a knack for evading the plague entirely.

Safe curled around her new daughter Besio. Zone had come back, dirt smudging his tomato-red snout. His deceased children now buried, he hunkered down around his small mate and his surviving daughter. Loss was nothing new to them, having had a new nest at every given opportunity since the clan’s creation one hundred and thirteen days ago.

Lock looked down at her own three eggs, drifting and bobbing in the hissing green goo of their stump nest. How many of her children would die in two days when they hatched? All of them? None of them? One or two of them?

Tryp had returned, fish in his jaws. He split his catch, knowing her habit of picky eating. The irony of being a Ridgeback–hating water but only eating seafood. It was a good thing her Guardian mate had learned to be such a good swimmer.

She ate, eyeing her family and the newborns, then looking at her own nest. Loss made her worried.

How many would she lose in two days?

Day 121 (written for Day 120)

Laria hated her.

Somia.

It had been two days since Laria’s brother, Mani, had died. He had loved Somia. He’d supported his sister in her pursuit of Malar, even confessed to her his love of Somia. He had planned to make his move once he hit breeding age. He’d been so confident, so proud, so ready…

And now he was gone. Dead. Torn from his sister’s life by a fatal blow in the depths of Woodland Path. Lost to the wilderness, like so many others.

Laria had broken down crying, pawing at her brother’s corpse, bawling like a hatchling. Her mother had choked before burying her nose in her husband’s long neck to hide her tears. Her father had stood strong like the mighty Imperial that he was, but his eyes were glassy with unshed tears.

Somia had stood by in shock. Somia had mourned. Somia had cried.

But she would never realize what she missed out on. She’d never know Mani’s laugh. His love. His life. She’d never know. All she knew was that he was Laria’s sister, Remia and Thrax’s son, a smooth-talking Wildclaw with a knack for mischief.

And Laria hated her for her ignorance. Just hated her.

That hate would fuel her to confess to Malar that very night. Laria refused to be robbed of love because she had wanted to put it off for another day, like her brother had. If she was going to die, she was going to make sure Malar, her crush, knew that she loved him. Then there would be no ignorance at her funeral.

Her hate was soothed by Malar’s smile. His acceptance. His warmth as they cuddled under the moonlight.

But the hate refused to die. It would live as long as Laria did. As long as Somia did.

Malar’s love had stopped its growth. For that, Laria was grateful.

Even if she’d still hate Somia for the rest of her days, it was worth it to get Malar.

Day 121 (written for Day 120)

Laria hated her.

Somia.

It had been two days since Laria’s brother, Mani, had died. He had loved Somia. He’d supported his sister in her pursuit of Malar, even confessed to her his love of Somia. He had planned to make his move once he hit breeding age. He’d been so confident, so proud, so ready…

And now he was gone. Dead. Torn from his sister’s life by a fatal blow in the depths of Woodland Path. Lost to the wilderness, like so many others.

Laria had broken down crying, pawing at her brother’s corpse, bawling like a hatchling. Her mother had choked before burying her nose in her husband’s long neck to hide her tears. Her father had stood strong like the mighty Imperial that he was, but his eyes were glassy with unshed tears.

Somia had stood by in shock. Somia had mourned. Somia had cried.

But she would never realize what she missed out on. She’d never know Mani’s laugh. His love. His life. She’d never know. All she knew was that he was Laria’s sister, Remia and Thrax’s son, a smooth-talking Wildclaw with a knack for mischief.

And Laria hated her for her ignorance. Just hated her.

That hate would fuel her to confess to Malar that very night. Laria refused to be robbed of love because she had wanted to put it off for another day, like her brother had. If she was going to die, she was going to make sure Malar, her crush, knew that she loved him. Then there would be no ignorance at her funeral.

Her hate was soothed by Malar’s smile. His acceptance. His warmth as they cuddled under the moonlight.

But the hate refused to die. It would live as long as Laria did. As long as Somia did.

Malar’s love had stopped its growth. For that, Laria was grateful.

Even if she’d still hate Somia for the rest of her days, it was worth it to get Malar.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9