Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | What Tablet do you use?
1 2
@MisSyvrath

Don't do community art, just my own dragons as I feel like it.

I use a decade-old Intuos 3 gifted to me as a highschool graduation present, still functions fine barring the occasional driver snafu, so I haven't upgraded.

Really, tablets are pretty similar across the board, but you want one that matches well with your traditional drawing habits for maximum efficiency.

I can't stand very small or very large work spaces, so the Intuous I have is a 9 x 12 to match the standard sketchbook size I favor. I buy textured nibs exclusively because the smoothness of the standard or even the extra pressure sensitive spring nibs (which are useful for certain projects, but I avoid otherwise) throws me off. I don't like messing with buttons or using weird dials, I default to keyboard hotkeys before all else, so I like minimal
additional interface.

It doesn't ultimately matter so long as you can deal with the learning curve that comes with pressure sensitivity settings, and that's a marriage of both the tablet and the art program you choose anyway.
@MisSyvrath

Don't do community art, just my own dragons as I feel like it.

I use a decade-old Intuos 3 gifted to me as a highschool graduation present, still functions fine barring the occasional driver snafu, so I haven't upgraded.

Really, tablets are pretty similar across the board, but you want one that matches well with your traditional drawing habits for maximum efficiency.

I can't stand very small or very large work spaces, so the Intuous I have is a 9 x 12 to match the standard sketchbook size I favor. I buy textured nibs exclusively because the smoothness of the standard or even the extra pressure sensitive spring nibs (which are useful for certain projects, but I avoid otherwise) throws me off. I don't like messing with buttons or using weird dials, I default to keyboard hotkeys before all else, so I like minimal
additional interface.

It doesn't ultimately matter so long as you can deal with the learning curve that comes with pressure sensitivity settings, and that's a marriage of both the tablet and the art program you choose anyway.
Gen1 Quest:
Midnight/Midnight/Seafoam Male
Wine/Wine/light green range
@MisSyvrath

When I wanted to buy a tablet for myself I did a lot of research. Now I can share the results of that with you today. first off all: you have two kinds of tablets the kind that you can look at and draw at the same time or the kind that doesn't have a screen and instead you have to use your computer screen. But even that matters little: I've seen astonishing results on both kinds.

Every tablet available has the same principal: you draw with a pen on a digital platform. And you can get used to every tablet. But yes, there is a difference in quality.

from personal experience and general reviews the wacom intuos series are a very great tablet series. Off-course they do have quite the price-card. But I believe that it costs more money then, lets say, a bamboo, for a reason. You pay for quality. Besides they're not nearly as expensive as a clintiq (2000 euro's). And really if you buy an older model it's not that bad. Some even say that the elder models are better the new ones (I don't really know I have an Intuos 5 that I've never regretted buying).

A rule in my family when dealing with more expensive purchases is: don't buy the cheapest model but don't choose for the most expensive option either, stay in the middle. This rule has served me well over the years. My father once bought the most expensive dishwasher there was in the store and it worked very badly, that means you used all your money for something with poor quality. So stay with something that's priced average
@MisSyvrath

When I wanted to buy a tablet for myself I did a lot of research. Now I can share the results of that with you today. first off all: you have two kinds of tablets the kind that you can look at and draw at the same time or the kind that doesn't have a screen and instead you have to use your computer screen. But even that matters little: I've seen astonishing results on both kinds.

Every tablet available has the same principal: you draw with a pen on a digital platform. And you can get used to every tablet. But yes, there is a difference in quality.

from personal experience and general reviews the wacom intuos series are a very great tablet series. Off-course they do have quite the price-card. But I believe that it costs more money then, lets say, a bamboo, for a reason. You pay for quality. Besides they're not nearly as expensive as a clintiq (2000 euro's). And really if you buy an older model it's not that bad. Some even say that the elder models are better the new ones (I don't really know I have an Intuos 5 that I've never regretted buying).

A rule in my family when dealing with more expensive purchases is: don't buy the cheapest model but don't choose for the most expensive option either, stay in the middle. This rule has served me well over the years. My father once bought the most expensive dishwasher there was in the store and it worked very badly, that means you used all your money for something with poor quality. So stay with something that's priced average
riberu_sig2_by_keslertortiose-dav9soe.png
1 2