Back

Art Sales

For commissions and flat-sale of your creative efforts.
TOPIC | PLEASE READ! Art Pricing + Selling Guide
1 2 3 4 5 6
I see a lot of threads on here for help pricing things and I thought this could maybe serve as both a springboard for people to post their stuff and get feedback from others and a mini guide!

pricing your own art can feel difficult. you're either afraid you're charging too much and scaring people away-- or not charging enough and you feel like you're overworking yourself. i have had lots and lots of trouble with this in the past, and i see a lot of people on these forums drastically undercharging.

there are lots of reasons why having an accurate price can help both you and your fellow artists:
  • your art will be more appealing to others if you don't underestimate it's worth
  • undercharging lowers the bracket for other artists like you!
  • you will get more commissions if you know how to price your stuff accordingly
  • more commissions = more dough = cool & fun for everybody

obviously, everyone will have a different idea of what is "fair" for art pricing but these are some of the guidelines i go by:

HOURLY
generally speaking, you don't want to charge less than minimum wage for your work. where i live, minimum wage is about 8-9 USD per hour. so if you take say three hours on a commission, you want to charge about 24$. (that's somewhere around/above 1,000,000 treasure with the current conversion rates)

"obviously this can't always be the case though, right? what about people who spend 20+ hours on a painting!"

that rule applies to them as well! often times in the professional world, salaries and commissions cost much much more than that. as "amateur" artists we have to at least make something!

"but what about if someone spends a long time on something, but the result is not as good/skilled/interesting as someone else?"

QUALITY
it seems hard to judge something like quality objectively, especially with people having different taste and incredibly different skill levels. what i mean when i say quality is not "how good" something is, but more of an effort to output ratio.

a talented artist who has been drawing dragons for their whole life may get a higher 'tip' rate than you at first. this is the nature of the beast, and it's not quite fair, but their hard work and talent have to be recognized! not everyone starts out charging massive clams for their sketches. a very big part of pricing is figuring out where you fit in the market, and knowing realistically when your fishes will bite.

TRIAL AND ERROR
this is where trial and error come in! if you honestly have no idea how much to charge for your art, the best thing to do is try selling it! contrary to what may seem obvious, you should start a little higher than you think your work is worth!

if nobody is giving you any $$$ for a couple of days, try lowering a bit! undercharging will hurt you more than help you, and you'd be surprised what the powers of persuasion can do. if you think your art is worth it, your dragon site buds might too!

and as a last note...

POPULARITY
"popularity affects prices. if you find yourself getting swamped with people that want slots or want to be pinged that may be a good time to raise your prices. it'll cut some of the demand and pressure if you find yourself unable to complete as many commissions as people want." - thanks @jetblacksteel !

EDIT:
PLEASE! feel free to message me with art pricing questions as many people already have!!!! i am totally willing to help out with whatever i can!
I see a lot of threads on here for help pricing things and I thought this could maybe serve as both a springboard for people to post their stuff and get feedback from others and a mini guide!

pricing your own art can feel difficult. you're either afraid you're charging too much and scaring people away-- or not charging enough and you feel like you're overworking yourself. i have had lots and lots of trouble with this in the past, and i see a lot of people on these forums drastically undercharging.

there are lots of reasons why having an accurate price can help both you and your fellow artists:
  • your art will be more appealing to others if you don't underestimate it's worth
  • undercharging lowers the bracket for other artists like you!
  • you will get more commissions if you know how to price your stuff accordingly
  • more commissions = more dough = cool & fun for everybody

obviously, everyone will have a different idea of what is "fair" for art pricing but these are some of the guidelines i go by:

HOURLY
generally speaking, you don't want to charge less than minimum wage for your work. where i live, minimum wage is about 8-9 USD per hour. so if you take say three hours on a commission, you want to charge about 24$. (that's somewhere around/above 1,000,000 treasure with the current conversion rates)

"obviously this can't always be the case though, right? what about people who spend 20+ hours on a painting!"

that rule applies to them as well! often times in the professional world, salaries and commissions cost much much more than that. as "amateur" artists we have to at least make something!

"but what about if someone spends a long time on something, but the result is not as good/skilled/interesting as someone else?"

QUALITY
it seems hard to judge something like quality objectively, especially with people having different taste and incredibly different skill levels. what i mean when i say quality is not "how good" something is, but more of an effort to output ratio.

a talented artist who has been drawing dragons for their whole life may get a higher 'tip' rate than you at first. this is the nature of the beast, and it's not quite fair, but their hard work and talent have to be recognized! not everyone starts out charging massive clams for their sketches. a very big part of pricing is figuring out where you fit in the market, and knowing realistically when your fishes will bite.

TRIAL AND ERROR
this is where trial and error come in! if you honestly have no idea how much to charge for your art, the best thing to do is try selling it! contrary to what may seem obvious, you should start a little higher than you think your work is worth!

if nobody is giving you any $$$ for a couple of days, try lowering a bit! undercharging will hurt you more than help you, and you'd be surprised what the powers of persuasion can do. if you think your art is worth it, your dragon site buds might too!

and as a last note...

POPULARITY
"popularity affects prices. if you find yourself getting swamped with people that want slots or want to be pinged that may be a good time to raise your prices. it'll cut some of the demand and pressure if you find yourself unable to complete as many commissions as people want." - thanks @jetblacksteel !

EDIT:
PLEASE! feel free to message me with art pricing questions as many people already have!!!! i am totally willing to help out with whatever i can!
[b]SOME MORE TIPS ABOUT SELLING YOUR ART![/b] [b]the approximate gem conversion rate as of april 17th 2014 is:[/b] 1 gem to 500 treasure. 5$ USD = 500 gems = 250,000 treasure 10$USD = 1050 gems = 525,000 treasure 20$USD = 2000 gems = 1,075,000 treasure 50$USD = 5500 gems = 2,750,000 treasure [b]TREASURE VS. GEMS[/b] on flight rising in particular, it can get confusing how much you want to charge because there are two different currencies. as[color=#000000] @pomfy [/color]pointed out, keep in mind that [i]treasure is technically 'free' to earn[/i]! when you trade your art for treasure, don't feel shy of charging the proper conversion. NOTE/UPDATE: due to the inflation of gems and the deflation of treasure this may not be the right conversion for you! messing around with different conversions is ok, just keep in mind the above when pricing. [b]THE 'MUST HAVES' OF A GOOD SHOP THREAD[/b] there isn't one way to make a shop, but the better you present yourself the better your art (+ you) looks! [indent][LIST] [*] easy to understand price chart [*] embedded samples of your work can really help by making all of the info accessible via one click! [*] a numbered list of available slots (also helpful to you!) [*] a friendly message to avoid seeming like an art robot [*] not too much clutter or unrelated material! [*] [b]deleting your bumps after you make them[/b] make the thread cleaner and easier to read for everyone! [/LIST][/indent] [b]HOW TO EMBED IMAGES[/b] (make them 'show up' inside of the thread!) [i]method one: [/i] type [ img ]yourimageurl[ /img ] without the spaces in-between the brackets [i]method two:[/i] click this lil sucker: [img]http://i60.tinypic.com/1zq62i0.png[/img] copy + paste your image url into the handy friendly box [b]THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BUT[/b] i really think nobody should charge less than 50k for an original piece of art. compare it to getting a pre-made gene or piece of apparel, someone is making something JUST for you!
SOME MORE TIPS ABOUT SELLING YOUR ART!

the approximate gem conversion rate as of april 17th 2014 is:
1 gem to 500 treasure.
5$ USD = 500 gems = 250,000 treasure
10$USD = 1050 gems = 525,000 treasure
20$USD = 2000 gems = 1,075,000 treasure
50$USD = 5500 gems = 2,750,000 treasure

TREASURE VS. GEMS
on flight rising in particular, it can get confusing how much you want to charge because there are two different currencies. as @pomfy pointed out, keep in mind that treasure is technically 'free' to earn! when you trade your art for treasure, don't feel shy of charging the proper conversion.

NOTE/UPDATE: due to the inflation of gems and the deflation of treasure this may not be the right conversion for you! messing around with different conversions is ok, just keep in mind the above when pricing.

THE 'MUST HAVES' OF A GOOD SHOP THREAD

there isn't one way to make a shop, but the better you present yourself the better your art (+ you) looks!
  • easy to understand price chart
  • embedded samples of your work can really help by making all of the info accessible via one click!
  • a numbered list of available slots (also helpful to you!)
  • a friendly message to avoid seeming like an art robot
  • not too much clutter or unrelated material!
  • deleting your bumps after you make them make the thread cleaner and easier to read for everyone!

HOW TO EMBED IMAGES
(make them 'show up' inside of the thread!)

method one:
type [ img ]yourimageurl[ /img ] without the spaces in-between the brackets

method two:
click this lil sucker:
1zq62i0.png

copy + paste your image url into the handy friendly box

THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BUT

i really think nobody should charge less than 50k for an original piece of art. compare it to getting a pre-made gene or piece of apparel, someone is making something JUST for you!
This is really helpful, thank you so much!
This is really helpful, thank you so much!
@LovelyShadowKing

wow i am so glad!!!!
also i really love your icon
@LovelyShadowKing

wow i am so glad!!!!
also i really love your icon
It is a great guide of new artist!Thank for your hard working:D
That let me remember a post:
art_zps6028c1f7.jpg
I know it may not available for anyone
It is a great guide of new artist!Thank for your hard working:D
That let me remember a post:
art_zps6028c1f7.jpg
I know it may not available for anyone
@siuyiu

i'm so glad you enjoyed, thanks!!!
and yea!! nobody should work for
free : )
@siuyiu

i'm so glad you enjoyed, thanks!!!
and yea!! nobody should work for
free : )
@Yeti
Great guide! Also popularity affects prices. If you find yourself getting swamped with people that want slots or want to be pinged that may be a good time to raise your prices. It'll cut some of the demand and pressure if you find yourself unable to complete as many commissions as people want.
@Yeti
Great guide! Also popularity affects prices. If you find yourself getting swamped with people that want slots or want to be pinged that may be a good time to raise your prices. It'll cut some of the demand and pressure if you find yourself unable to complete as many commissions as people want.
tumblr_ngnjgvFzfC1scuu34o1_500.png]
@JetBlackSteel

yes, that is a good point! i will add that!
also THANK YOU muchly, wow!
@JetBlackSteel

yes, that is a good point! i will add that!
also THANK YOU muchly, wow!
@Yeti Thank you so much for the guide! I've been looking all over to find the ratio of gems:treasure since it seems to vary so much between the art sale forum and buy/sell forum!
@Yeti Thank you so much for the guide! I've been looking all over to find the ratio of gems:treasure since it seems to vary so much between the art sale forum and buy/sell forum!
★art shop
@Yeti
I got pinged to a random board XD had to come back here to see what it was
@Yeti
I got pinged to a random board XD had to come back here to see what it was
tumblr_ngnjgvFzfC1scuu34o1_500.png]
1 2 3 4 5 6