Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Dragon Breed Development
1 2 ... 135 136 137 138 139 ... 158 159
This is so exciting! I can't wait for them to be implemented
This is so exciting! I can't wait for them to be implemented
V8LbmRk.png
Aswnqzl.png
FXwV0CB.png
LRdLP2V.png
mlHpBMC.png
echo.pngfT1J7Mm.pngPotato_Banner_New.pngbiscuit.png
nice :)

I like the end bit, very compelling. Can't wait to see what happens to the Tidelord lol

is there more lore as far as the tidelord? this is the first I'm hearing of it is all and I'm a bit curious

sorry lol
nice :)

I like the end bit, very compelling. Can't wait to see what happens to the Tidelord lol

is there more lore as far as the tidelord? this is the first I'm hearing of it is all and I'm a bit curious

sorry lol
Corgis.png
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
I have an idea for ancient breed. I know you probably don't take ideas, but it's just a thought. I first started playing a few days ago and wondered, "Where are the Hydras?" You should make one of the new ancient breeds a Hydra!
I have an idea for ancient breed. I know you probably don't take ideas, but it's just a thought. I first started playing a few days ago and wondered, "Where are the Hydras?" You should make one of the new ancient breeds a Hydra!
I would insert an image but IT'S NOT WORKING OUT THAT WAY
[center]@RavioliPaladin [color=5b76eb]Hi! Since hydras are already in the game as non-dragons, I doubt they exactly would qualify as a breed; however, there's always that chance that we'll get something very similar. [item=Hydra][/color] [/center]
@RavioliPaladin

Hi! Since hydras are already in the game as non-dragons, I doubt they exactly would qualify as a breed; however, there's always that chance that we'll get something very similar.
Hydra
frostbite_by_worryingsquarewave-d8a2x4y.gif
@TheClassCalico Oh, I didn't know they were already existent... but the Wikia says something about, "Maybe even multi headed dragons!" So it is a very high possibility. I also think they should make a sea serpent type of dragon.
@TheClassCalico Oh, I didn't know they were already existent... but the Wikia says something about, "Maybe even multi headed dragons!" So it is a very high possibility. I also think they should make a sea serpent type of dragon.
I would insert an image but IT'S NOT WORKING OUT THAT WAY
[Most important thoughts are in bold to allow people to skim through.]

Words cannot express just how much I love this update and the concept of Ancients.

Making one Modern gene means drawing it 42 separate times. Drawing one gene for an Ancient means drawing it commonly only 3 times, maybe 12-ish if you make some genes available to several breeds.

That means no backlog for Ancient genes.

No apparel, no backlog.

No backlog, less of a effort-heavy, grind and routine it is for artists to make Ancient breeds.

The less it feels like work and inevitable high usage of effort for artists means they can take more of a fun, easy going, expectation-light, creative approach to it.

And artists having an artistic, creative freedom to do anything they want without much consequence immensely increases their fun doing it and that directly translates to us as the player base seeing the love put into Ancients and enjoying the new type of customization of body types and unique features they allow!

Some ideas on how to make this very varied and vastly breed-specific system feel unified across site layouts:

- Separate the scrying workshop to Modern/Ancient layouts.

- Add an Ancients sell tab to the AH.
- Alternatively, add a master filter to AH Dragon search that changes all options to Ancient-only(new) and Modern-only(the current layout, never to be changed).

- If a gene is available for more than one breed, make sure it has the same gene name after ":". If several genes are classified as one, the scrolls for them have to be sold separately for each breed they're available for, and the breed it's for written in the item's name.

- Ancient scrolls appear in the Specialty marketplace tab, just like Moderns. The gene icons are color coded in the same Primary/Secondary/Tertiary colors Modern scrolls are.

- Once an Ancient gene scroll is clicked in the hoard it shows a standard grey preview of that gene like apparel does, complete with male/female, with user's eligible Ancients below the preview. Clicking your dragon then previews the gene specifically on that dragon, and the gene can be applied.

Some of my additional feelings towards Ancients and general nerding out over how cool I think they are:

I love that there will be great variation in Ancient breeds, I love that there will be a lot more new breeds on site and that they'll finally stray from the limb number rules Moderns have (wingless dragons, at last!). I love that they'll have tertiaries that are specific to each breed and that break contours, adding wild features, extra limbs, etc. I love that they can't wear apparel, the unique genes will allow to customize them equally well and will keep the Ancients fresh in their looks as upposed to how Moderns have only two base poses w limb rules and never any contour breaking genes. They're different from Moderns, and that's good.

For Moderns the apparel, a huge unified gene pool, a unified breeding system and accents/skins is what makes it possible to make them wildly customizable. For Ancients, it'll be vastly different options in body types, body features, skin textures, and body patterns (genes) or body part variations (more genes) and that sheer difference from both Moderns and each other that would make them highly customizable. And then there's also skins/accents. Each player could pick the breeds that they aesthetically love most, and they come with a portion of the Modern customization FR is well known for. It's a win in my book.
[Most important thoughts are in bold to allow people to skim through.]

Words cannot express just how much I love this update and the concept of Ancients.

Making one Modern gene means drawing it 42 separate times. Drawing one gene for an Ancient means drawing it commonly only 3 times, maybe 12-ish if you make some genes available to several breeds.

That means no backlog for Ancient genes.

No apparel, no backlog.

No backlog, less of a effort-heavy, grind and routine it is for artists to make Ancient breeds.

The less it feels like work and inevitable high usage of effort for artists means they can take more of a fun, easy going, expectation-light, creative approach to it.

And artists having an artistic, creative freedom to do anything they want without much consequence immensely increases their fun doing it and that directly translates to us as the player base seeing the love put into Ancients and enjoying the new type of customization of body types and unique features they allow!

Some ideas on how to make this very varied and vastly breed-specific system feel unified across site layouts:

- Separate the scrying workshop to Modern/Ancient layouts.

- Add an Ancients sell tab to the AH.
- Alternatively, add a master filter to AH Dragon search that changes all options to Ancient-only(new) and Modern-only(the current layout, never to be changed).

- If a gene is available for more than one breed, make sure it has the same gene name after ":". If several genes are classified as one, the scrolls for them have to be sold separately for each breed they're available for, and the breed it's for written in the item's name.

- Ancient scrolls appear in the Specialty marketplace tab, just like Moderns. The gene icons are color coded in the same Primary/Secondary/Tertiary colors Modern scrolls are.

- Once an Ancient gene scroll is clicked in the hoard it shows a standard grey preview of that gene like apparel does, complete with male/female, with user's eligible Ancients below the preview. Clicking your dragon then previews the gene specifically on that dragon, and the gene can be applied.

Some of my additional feelings towards Ancients and general nerding out over how cool I think they are:

I love that there will be great variation in Ancient breeds, I love that there will be a lot more new breeds on site and that they'll finally stray from the limb number rules Moderns have (wingless dragons, at last!). I love that they'll have tertiaries that are specific to each breed and that break contours, adding wild features, extra limbs, etc. I love that they can't wear apparel, the unique genes will allow to customize them equally well and will keep the Ancients fresh in their looks as upposed to how Moderns have only two base poses w limb rules and never any contour breaking genes. They're different from Moderns, and that's good.

For Moderns the apparel, a huge unified gene pool, a unified breeding system and accents/skins is what makes it possible to make them wildly customizable. For Ancients, it'll be vastly different options in body types, body features, skin textures, and body patterns (genes) or body part variations (more genes) and that sheer difference from both Moderns and each other that would make them highly customizable. And then there's also skins/accents. Each player could pick the breeds that they aesthetically love most, and they come with a portion of the Modern customization FR is well known for. It's a win in my book.
CAiwzvK.png
@RavioliPaladin

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - the primary reason all current breeds have fairly consistent limbs is for apparel purposes, ancients won't be restricted; a lot of users theorize that our first ancient breed will be a Leviathan/sea serpent, and I'm inclined to agree, considering Tidelord's disappearance.

With that said, I was more than a little excited to see what we get!
@RavioliPaladin

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - the primary reason all current breeds have fairly consistent limbs is for apparel purposes, ancients won't be restricted; a lot of users theorize that our first ancient breed will be a Leviathan/sea serpent, and I'm inclined to agree, considering Tidelord's disappearance.

With that said, I was more than a little excited to see what we get!
frostbite_by_worryingsquarewave-d8a2x4y.gif
If I could make a small suggestion, since Ancients won't be able to breed cross-species they should be able to have quints within the species. :)
If I could make a small suggestion, since Ancients won't be able to breed cross-species they should be able to have quints within the species. :)
nNxirvT.gifHSdjdFR.gif7y2yiE2.gifLkUshID.gifTvGyETb.gif
WOW! I love the new update. I am hoping to be able to get at least one, as the update will be happening on my brothers wedding. I also completely understand why it's taking so long with the new modern dragon breeds. There is a lot that goes with them. You guys do such a good work for this site.
WOW! I love the new update. I am hoping to be able to get at least one, as the update will be happening on my brothers wedding. I also completely understand why it's taking so long with the new modern dragon breeds. There is a lot that goes with them. You guys do such a good work for this site.
4sMOFQ8.pnghVHlIic.png
my body is ready

i'm really excited about the different sorts of dragons that can be made without having to worry about apparel. if we get an amphithere style dragon i'm gonna throw my life savings into it. also baby emperors
my body is ready

i'm really excited about the different sorts of dragons that can be made without having to worry about apparel. if we get an amphithere style dragon i'm gonna throw my life savings into it. also baby emperors
lightning_small.pngplague_small.png
| remember that there is metal in your blood and lightning in your heart |
| they/them | certified dweeb | +3 fr time |
1 2 ... 135 136 137 138 139 ... 158 159