Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [Breed] Isari (6/10 update)
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
These are cute and I want a million of them. Love the idea of big digging claws in place of wings.
These are cute and I want a million of them. Love the idea of big digging claws in place of wings.
*smashes support button* I love it!

It's got a bog/snapper type face and it is really well thought out!
*smashes support button* I love it!

It's got a bog/snapper type face and it is really well thought out!
EST-FTM-any pronouns
x7T6htX.pngx7T6htX.pngx7T6htX.png
@Zeruel I absolutely adore these and want them to be a thing so bad. Good job! They really remind me of some Legiony beasts from WoW.
@Zeruel I absolutely adore these and want them to be a thing so bad. Good job! They really remind me of some Legiony beasts from WoW.
Heart.gif
Yay time to take a break from the whole eye things before I get too frustrated. But hey I’m REALLY happy to see some of the questions you guys have for me! There’s actually more lore I’ve written about them that had not made it to the thread for various reasons. I’m glad to have a chance to throw some of them here. [quote name="SilverSkies614" date="2018-06-05 08:04:46" ] I would like to see more details about this fungus and an explanation of why it is not harmful to other dragons. [/quote] The fungus requires very specific conditions to grow. It cannot possess other breeds because the physical and physiological attributes of those dragons don’t match the fungus’s requirements. On some breed, the spore may not be able to penetrate their skins/scales; even if the spores do get into the dragon’s body, the inner environment wouldn’t allow the fungus to survive and reproduce either. [quote name="PSICadet" date="2018-06-06 09:41:18" ] (Also, what do their fungus-horns sense?) [/quote] Magic flows! Kinda like shark’s electroreception, but the mushroom horn sense not only electricity but also energies of other elements. This lead to a huge part of my lore I didn't know how to properly put in the first post:P That is, the element power of the hostbody is actually extremely weak, not even enough to sustain its own life, but the fungus could generate element power for the host. (That’s why and Isari host can never be separated from its mushroom friend. ) Basically, [b]the host is the physical side of the Isari and the fungus control the magical/elemental part. [/b] [quote name="PSICadet" date="2018-06-06 09:41:18" ]…I recommend that maybe you change the breed description a bit to not be as physically bulky and strong as Snappers….[/quote] While adult Isaris rely more on their physical ability than magic, I don’t intent to make them known as “the physically strong breed”. Their body is bulky, but lack of heavy scales as defense. Their limbs are strong for digging and burrowing, but they are not built for combat. If an Isari gets into a fist fight (claw fight?) with a Snapper, the Isari is very likely to lose. But they rely on other characteristics (such as toxicity) to thrive on Sornieth. I hope this answers your concern, really appreciate your input! [quote name="SilverSkies614" date="2018-06-05 08:04:46" ] Also, if the head is sprouting a mushroom/fungus, perhaps it should be growing elsewhere on the body? [/quote] Normally, a healthy Isari would only have the mushroom horn growing on its head. But as the Isari ages and its physiologic condition weakened, more mushroom bodies would sprout. A very old Isari may have so many fungal bodies growing around its head-facial area that it become crown-like. Mushroom would also be growing on all over its body. At this state, the elder Isari would have much superior magic ability. BUT this “crowning” symptom also indicates that this individual is physically weak, and its days are numbered. I'll try to draw some pictures of Isaris at crowning state in the future. [quote name="Mediscoot" date="2018-06-06 12:19:37" ] I really like this idea! Despite the whole creepy story Parasect vibe I'm getting, I would probably have 10 of these guys [/quote] I’ve never thought about Parasects when I’m designing Isaris, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I could not unseen the similarities between them. (*o*”) I guess this is what happens when we use the same inspiration (Cordyceps fungi infected cicadas) to design things.
Yay time to take a break from the whole eye things before I get too frustrated. But hey I’m REALLY happy to see some of the questions you guys have for me! There’s actually more lore I’ve written about them that had not made it to the thread for various reasons. I’m glad to have a chance to throw some of them here.

SilverSkies614 wrote on 2018-06-05 08:04:46:
I would like to see more details about this fungus and an explanation of why it is not harmful to other dragons.
The fungus requires very specific conditions to grow. It cannot possess other breeds because the physical and physiological attributes of those dragons don’t match the fungus’s requirements. On some breed, the spore may not be able to penetrate their skins/scales; even if the spores do get into the dragon’s body, the inner environment wouldn’t allow the fungus to survive and reproduce either.

PSICadet wrote on 2018-06-06 09:41:18:
(Also, what do their fungus-horns sense?)
Magic flows! Kinda like shark’s electroreception, but the mushroom horn sense not only electricity but also energies of other elements.

This lead to a huge part of my lore I didn't know how to properly put in the first post:P
That is, the element power of the hostbody is actually extremely weak, not even enough to sustain its own life, but the fungus could generate element power for the host. (That’s why and Isari host can never be separated from its mushroom friend. )

Basically, the host is the physical side of the Isari and the fungus control the magical/elemental part.

PSICadet wrote on 2018-06-06 09:41:18:
…I recommend that maybe you change the breed description a bit to not be as physically bulky and strong as Snappers….
While adult Isaris rely more on their physical ability than magic, I don’t intent to make them known as “the physically strong breed”. Their body is bulky, but lack of heavy scales as defense. Their limbs are strong for digging and burrowing, but they are not built for combat. If an Isari gets into a fist fight (claw fight?) with a Snapper, the Isari is very likely to lose. But they rely on other characteristics (such as toxicity) to thrive on Sornieth.
I hope this answers your concern, really appreciate your input!

SilverSkies614 wrote on 2018-06-05 08:04:46:
Also, if the head is sprouting a mushroom/fungus, perhaps it should be growing elsewhere on the body?
Normally, a healthy Isari would only have the mushroom horn growing on its head. But as the Isari ages and its physiologic condition weakened, more mushroom bodies would sprout. A very old Isari may have so many fungal bodies growing around its head-facial area that it become crown-like. Mushroom would also be growing on all over its body. At this state, the elder Isari would have much superior magic ability. BUT this “crowning” symptom also indicates that this individual is physically weak, and its days are numbered.

I'll try to draw some pictures of Isaris at crowning state in the future.

Mediscoot wrote on 2018-06-06 12:19:37:
I really like this idea! Despite the whole creepy story Parasect vibe I'm getting, I would probably have 10 of these guys
I’ve never thought about Parasects when I’m designing Isaris, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I could not unseen the similarities between them. (*o*”) I guess this is what happens when we use the same inspiration (Cordyceps fungi infected cicadas) to design things.
Just a heads-up: I usually delete the threads I made before it reaches 10 replies because I want to keep my forum history tidy.
I really like this idea!
I really like this idea!
qZ2UtE7.gif
p1eyEj0.png Abundans cautela non nocet - one can never be too careful
Actus me invito factus non est meus actus - the act done by me against my will is not my act
This dragon could work well as an ancient dragon! It, also, looks really cool which is always a plus. I love the art, and the entries about it :D
This dragon could work well as an ancient dragon! It, also, looks really cool which is always a plus. I love the art, and the entries about it :D
ashmane_chimera.pngferberus.pngquillcrown_parda.png
Precious fungal babies <3

Would it be all right if I did some art of these in my own style?
Precious fungal babies <3

Would it be all right if I did some art of these in my own style?
they/them - geologist & artist

art + tabletop gaming blog
Aww they look chonky and cute. Support!
Aww they look chonky and cute. Support!
FObX7rS.png WQA384m.png
hh5n4WA.png WvEXipG.pngA6Pqy3l.png
It says this species is plague, why does this have lightning colors?
I agree with someone saying baby stormcatcher vibes. I'm not really seeing the fungus aesthetic at all, simply because I'm not an expert at fungus, and the lighting flight aesthetic is throwing me off xD

I don't mean any of this harshly
It says this species is plague, why does this have lightning colors?
I agree with someone saying baby stormcatcher vibes. I'm not really seeing the fungus aesthetic at all, simply because I'm not an expert at fungus, and the lighting flight aesthetic is throwing me off xD

I don't mean any of this harshly
i love the design!! they look so cool and the doodles are adorable
i love the design!! they look so cool and the doodles are adorable
MsWGPQr.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11