Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [Breed] Specter
1 2
Loosely based of a combination of a shark, a manta ray, a plesiosaur and a terrible reconstruction of Therizinosaurus as a turtle. I redid the art to better reflect what I was going for. I'm not going to remake them again because they take 4 hours to make. [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/661a/f/2018/044/6/b/specter_v2_small_by_saikiyo-dc335rt.png[/img] [url=https://orig00.deviantart.net/faf4/f/2018/044/b/4/spector_basic_by_saikiyo-dc3192j.png] click to see orignal[/url] Dust and steel basic [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/fe9c/f/2018/044/1/4/specter_v2_cerulean_by_saikiyo-dc339yi.png[/img] [url=https://orig00.deviantart.net/72f7/f/2018/044/6/6/spector_cerulean_by_saikiyo-dc3192p.png]Click to see orignal[/url] Cerulean pinstripe, aqua striation, patriot glimmer 'What about arm/leg apparel? How will that work with flippers?' I made sure to add 'fingers' so rings and stuff will fit on them. Nothing a little creativity can't solve. [img]https://i.gyazo.com/ebcd9fdd22dd7c6e9cf5cafa5b3a6bc3.png[/img] Critiques and suggestions welcome! (Might edit this later, add more art or something) Breed: Specter Rarity: Uncommon Diet: Seafood, meat Lore: Due to their mysterious nature little is known about these 'ghosts of the sea' . Legend says that a long time ago a young dragon who feel into to the ocean, unable to swim he called to the Tidelord and received a blessing of the sea and became the first specter, however this is merely a myth and nobody can be sure of their true origins. Overview: Specters are extremely adaptive dragons, the harshness of the sea has cause a several different clans and lifestyles all over the world. Unlike most dragons specters mainly live in the seas surrounding the continents though it's no unusual to find small groups or individuals who have migrated inland to sprawling lakes, deep rivers or any other large body of water. Specters can live on land and move similarly to seals and are completely flightless, using their wings to help them lift and move their heavy bodies. Specters who live completely or partiality in water tend to be healthier than those who live on dry land all the time. Physical Attributes: Specters are a medium sized breed however they continuously grow throughout their long lives leading so some of the most ancient ones being closer to the size of a guardian. They have a long tail with a fluke, flippers rather than feet and twin fins on their backs and have both gills as well as lungs. One of the most notable features of a specter is their cephalic lobes, these unique appendages around the mouth have a multitude of different uses; usually folded up along the chin to protect sensitive vibration sensing organs, it can be used to help guide small prey, such as fish, into the mouth, used as extra grip when biting on larger prey or even used to help channel vibrations similarly to the pinna of an ear. Their wings are more of thick, fleshy fins that help the effortlessly glide though water with only slight forward propulsion from the tail. Guiding is so effortless a specter can sleep while moving forwards. Social: Specters are very social of often live in small to medium groups. If a group becomes too large the young adults will leave in search of a new lair. Specters don't 'talk' instead they used to two fins on their back to cause vibrations in the water call a 'song'. Specters love to live in coral as many reefs are actually graveyards for past members of their clan. A specter clan will spend hours a day making sure the reef is in good health and even offer some of their kills to the fish that live there. A specter that has grown up in the sea and learned to speak through song will have a great deal of trouble trying to communicate outside of water as they don't know how to use their vocal cords and seem completely mute, this isn't a problem for ones raised on land though they would have equal trouble with songs. Most specters can actually become very fluid in coatl due to their sensitivity to vibrations. Lairs: Specters ideally love to live in or near coral reefs though can live anywhere. Alternative choices would be underwater caves or kelp forests some will even travel to inland bodies of water in competition becomes to great. Due to mostly living out in the open most specters don't have a group hoard rather small personal collections of items stored in a sack near their stomach, the sack is originally meant to store food, similar to the cheeks on squirrel. In times of extreme stress a mother specter will swallow her eggs into her specialized sack, abandon her lair and protect them until she feels they would be safe. Tactics: Specters in water fight very differently to those on land, often reflecting their hunting style in battle. Water dwelling specters favor physical attacks and will either bite or try to ensnare their target with their long tail and attempt to crush or drown them. Land dwelling specters are slow and tend to favor ranged attacks such as using their long, heavy tail to try and crush their enemy or using ranged magic attacks.
Loosely based of a combination of a shark, a manta ray, a plesiosaur and a terrible reconstruction of Therizinosaurus as a turtle.

I redid the art to better reflect what I was going for. I'm not going to remake them again because they take 4 hours to make.

specter_v2_small_by_saikiyo-dc335rt.png

click to see orignal

Dust and steel basic

specter_v2_cerulean_by_saikiyo-dc339yi.png

Click to see orignal

Cerulean pinstripe, aqua striation, patriot glimmer

'What about arm/leg apparel? How will that work with flippers?'

I made sure to add 'fingers' so rings and stuff will fit on them. Nothing a little creativity can't solve.

ebcd9fdd22dd7c6e9cf5cafa5b3a6bc3.png

Critiques and suggestions welcome! (Might edit this later, add more art or something)

Breed: Specter

Rarity: Uncommon

Diet: Seafood, meat

Lore:

Due to their mysterious nature little is known about these 'ghosts of the sea' . Legend says that a long time ago a young dragon who feel into to the ocean, unable to swim he called to the Tidelord and received a blessing of the sea and became the first specter, however this is merely a myth and nobody can be sure of their true origins.

Overview:

Specters are extremely adaptive dragons, the harshness of the sea has cause a several different clans and lifestyles all over the world. Unlike most dragons specters mainly live in the seas surrounding the continents though it's no unusual to find small groups or individuals who have migrated inland to sprawling lakes, deep rivers or any other large body of water. Specters can live on land and move similarly to seals and are completely flightless, using their wings to help them lift and move their heavy bodies. Specters who live completely or partiality in water tend to be healthier than those who live on dry land all the time.

Physical Attributes:

Specters are a medium sized breed however they continuously grow throughout their long lives leading so some of the most ancient ones being closer to the size of a guardian. They have a long tail with a fluke, flippers rather than feet and twin fins on their backs and have both gills as well as lungs.

One of the most notable features of a specter is their cephalic lobes, these unique appendages around the mouth have a multitude of different uses; usually folded up along the chin to protect sensitive vibration sensing organs, it can be used to help guide small prey, such as fish, into the mouth, used as extra grip when biting on larger prey or even used to help channel vibrations similarly to the pinna of an ear. Their wings are more of thick, fleshy fins that help the effortlessly glide though water with only slight forward propulsion from the tail. Guiding is so effortless a specter can sleep while moving forwards.

Social:

Specters are very social of often live in small to medium groups. If a group becomes too large the young adults will leave in search of a new lair. Specters don't 'talk' instead they used to two fins on their back to cause vibrations in the water call a 'song'. Specters love to live in coral as many reefs are actually graveyards for past members of their clan. A specter clan will spend hours a day making sure the reef is in good health and even offer some of their kills to the fish that live there. A specter that has grown up in the sea and learned to speak through song will have a great deal of trouble trying to communicate outside of water as they don't know how to use their vocal cords and seem completely mute, this isn't a problem for ones raised on land though they would have equal trouble with songs. Most specters can actually become very fluid in coatl due to their sensitivity to vibrations.

Lairs:

Specters ideally love to live in or near coral reefs though can live anywhere. Alternative choices would be underwater caves or kelp forests some will even travel to inland bodies of water in competition becomes to great. Due to mostly living out in the open most specters don't have a group hoard rather small personal collections of items stored in a sack near their stomach, the sack is originally meant to store food, similar to the cheeks on squirrel. In times of extreme stress a mother specter will swallow her eggs into her specialized sack, abandon her lair and protect them until she feels they would be safe.

Tactics:

Specters in water fight very differently to those on land, often reflecting their hunting style in battle. Water dwelling specters favor physical attacks and will either bite or try to ensnare their target with their long tail and attempt to crush or drown them. Land dwelling specters are slow and tend to favor ranged attacks such as using their long, heavy tail to try and crush their enemy or using ranged magic attacks.
Ooo really pretty!
I love the look of it. My only thing would be to make the mouth/nose much longer. Not a fan of the stubbyness of it especially with the longer proportions of the rest of it.
Ooo really pretty!
I love the look of it. My only thing would be to make the mouth/nose much longer. Not a fan of the stubbyness of it especially with the longer proportions of the rest of it.
jfLmvwf.jpg
-It's nice, but I can't really see this species in many areas of Sorinoth as they appear too specialized for the water. Instead of the flipper style foot, something webbed would probably work better. It'd still be very aquatic, looking but might make it a bit more appropriate elsewhere [img]http://www.turtleoblonganetwork.org.au/uploads/9/8/1/1/9811469/805650_orig.jpg[/img]
-It's nice, but I can't really see this species in many areas of Sorinoth as they appear too specialized for the water.

Instead of the flipper style foot, something webbed would probably work better. It'd still be very aquatic, looking but might make it a bit more appropriate elsewhere

805650_orig.jpg
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
Ooh! I like this design. Except for the lower jaw. The chinlessness is a bit ugly, but the rest of it is good.

I doubt I'd ever have one, since it's got that noodly, knotted up and hard to dress aesthetic of female Imperials and Spirals but I do like how it looks for the most part.
Ooh! I like this design. Except for the lower jaw. The chinlessness is a bit ugly, but the rest of it is good.

I doubt I'd ever have one, since it's got that noodly, knotted up and hard to dress aesthetic of female Imperials and Spirals but I do like how it looks for the most part.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
I think this is a fantastic new breed idea! I'd love to see a dragon that's more aquatic some day, and I can only hope this becomes a thing!
I think this is a fantastic new breed idea! I'd love to see a dragon that's more aquatic some day, and I can only hope this becomes a thing!
Interested in a Flight Rising themed trading discord?

Join Here!
Thank you for all the feedback! I've made version 2 based off some suggestions.

@Smoothy and @Greyjoy it was never actually intended to have a flat chin, that was an artistic error on my part (though it totally looks flat, whoops). The nose was supposed to resemble that of a shark (such as a great white) I feel the new version reflects that more.

@ragonSage Good point with the feet. I had tried to make it as aquatic as possible but it would have been too hard for it to live on land the way it was. I combined the flipper shape with turtle claws so hopefully that looks better ^^
Thank you for all the feedback! I've made version 2 based off some suggestions.

@Smoothy and @Greyjoy it was never actually intended to have a flat chin, that was an artistic error on my part (though it totally looks flat, whoops). The nose was supposed to resemble that of a shark (such as a great white) I feel the new version reflects that more.

@ragonSage Good point with the feet. I had tried to make it as aquatic as possible but it would have been too hard for it to live on land the way it was. I combined the flipper shape with turtle claws so hopefully that looks better ^^
@SaikiyoLuna

Oh yes, that's much nicer! I love the less noodliness of it, and the more straightforward design, as well as the chin part. Excellent improvements, would own now. XD
@SaikiyoLuna

Oh yes, that's much nicer! I love the less noodliness of it, and the more straightforward design, as well as the chin part. Excellent improvements, would own now. XD
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
@SaikiyoLuna
I love them and I want 20 of them!
I'm curious about how they would function in other flights!

Hear me out: Fire Specters - Lava swimmers!
@SaikiyoLuna
I love them and I want 20 of them!
I'm curious about how they would function in other flights!

Hear me out: Fire Specters - Lava swimmers!
JIjswVw.png
|| Accent Sales | Wishlist | Art Dump ||
I collect Tundra and Obelisk skins!
Do you have what I need?
@VariantLoki

Good question! Fire could probably be both lava swimmers and volcanic vent based. As specters live in the ocean boarders there would probably be a ton of deep sea volcanic vents full of tasty crabs, shrimp and tube worms. Lava swimmers would probably be more common among the ones who live inland.

Wind would also be interesting because of the constant strong breezes which could be used to vibrate their dual fins letting them sing out of water. Wind flight would have the only bilingual specters (Trilingual if they learn coatl)

Ice specters would probably end up having much slower metabolisms to conserve energy resulting in them living much longer and growing massive (and gaining a bunch of blubber). Think the Greenland shark.

Acane could probably learn how to fly by riding the anti-gravitational forces in the Focal Point making them the only airborne specters.

Earth flight specters would probably end up being the quickest on land, maybe even having smaller wings and stronger legs as well as having better 'walking' posture. (Look up 'fish raised on land' scientists raised some senegal bichir in and out of water and studied how they walk on land. The ones raised on land were faster and had a better posture which is where I'm getting this idea)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I may have gone a bit overboard with an information dump, whoops
@VariantLoki

Good question! Fire could probably be both lava swimmers and volcanic vent based. As specters live in the ocean boarders there would probably be a ton of deep sea volcanic vents full of tasty crabs, shrimp and tube worms. Lava swimmers would probably be more common among the ones who live inland.

Wind would also be interesting because of the constant strong breezes which could be used to vibrate their dual fins letting them sing out of water. Wind flight would have the only bilingual specters (Trilingual if they learn coatl)

Ice specters would probably end up having much slower metabolisms to conserve energy resulting in them living much longer and growing massive (and gaining a bunch of blubber). Think the Greenland shark.

Acane could probably learn how to fly by riding the anti-gravitational forces in the Focal Point making them the only airborne specters.

Earth flight specters would probably end up being the quickest on land, maybe even having smaller wings and stronger legs as well as having better 'walking' posture. (Look up 'fish raised on land' scientists raised some senegal bichir in and out of water and studied how they walk on land. The ones raised on land were faster and had a better posture which is where I'm getting this idea)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I may have gone a bit overboard with an information dump, whoops
Forgive me for this but I must have one and name it Prince Sidon.
I'll go now.
Forgive me for this but I must have one and name it Prince Sidon.
I'll go now.
1 2