Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gender Change Shop Item
Looking through the shop, I've noticed that there are plenty of shop items to change or add genes and even change the breed of a dragon, but not the gender. I was thinking that it would be cool to have a limited shop item that can change the gender of a dragon.

Restrictions on it could be that:
It must be used on adults
It can only be used one time per dragon
You can only buy 1 or 2 for every real life month
They would cost an incredible amount of gems
It would be available for millions of treasure once a year maybe for valentines day
You can only have 1 in your hoard/inventory at any given time
After a dragon's gender is changed, it will go through a breeding cool down.
Looking through the shop, I've noticed that there are plenty of shop items to change or add genes and even change the breed of a dragon, but not the gender. I was thinking that it would be cool to have a limited shop item that can change the gender of a dragon.

Restrictions on it could be that:
It must be used on adults
It can only be used one time per dragon
You can only buy 1 or 2 for every real life month
They would cost an incredible amount of gems
It would be available for millions of treasure once a year maybe for valentines day
You can only have 1 in your hoard/inventory at any given time
After a dragon's gender is changed, it will go through a breeding cool down.
inb912.jpg
They wouldn't be worth using if they were too expensive, and they would be gamebreaking if they were too cheap. [quote]as with the last forty million times this has been suggested [/quote] IT HAS ONLY BEEN THIRTY-NINE MILLION TIMES, KRAKENDAD, YOU'RE BEING SILLY.
They wouldn't be worth using if they were too expensive, and they would be gamebreaking if they were too cheap.

Quote:
as with the last forty million times this has been suggested

IT HAS ONLY BEEN THIRTY-NINE MILLION TIMES, KRAKENDAD, YOU'RE BEING SILLY.
This is a very common suggestion and an incredibly divisive topic and, as with the last forty million times this has been suggested -- no support.

Sex is one of the last things we cannot control on our dragons. We can control colour with tight breeding ranges, genes with selective buying and scrolls and breed with the same (barring Imperials, which can no longer be controlled with scrolls).

Given that everything else can be chosen, it makes sense to keep something entirely random, so that the game doesn't get too easy! c:

This is a very common suggestion and an incredibly divisive topic and, as with the last forty million times this has been suggested -- no support.

Sex is one of the last things we cannot control on our dragons. We can control colour with tight breeding ranges, genes with selective buying and scrolls and breed with the same (barring Imperials, which can no longer be controlled with scrolls).

Given that everything else can be chosen, it makes sense to keep something entirely random, so that the game doesn't get too easy! c:

byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Sorry, even with the restrictions this would be too problematic:

1. It would potentially have to recode the way breeding works. As it stands, you cannot have same sex breeding because of the way the site is coded. This would either not be able to be used on dragons with hatchlings, or the way breeding works (and is displayed) would need to be recoded.

2. Sex change != Gene/Breed change. For genes and breeds ,the only way to get new ones into the system are to have scrolls that you can apply to existing dragons. Nocturnes are the only 'new' breed that can be obtained by hatching a special egg, but all others you require a scroll to introduce them. You don't need a scroll to introduce new sexes to the game.

3. There already is an dragon abundance on site. Very few dragons are not completely replaceable in terms of color/breed/genes. About the only dragons this would be useful for are gen1s which come from unhatched eggs that can be found around the site.

4. This is a breeding game where the idea is to breed for your perfect dragon, not just find one of the right colors and change everything else on it.

5. Since this is also a multiplayer game, what one person does, can affect other people, in terms of one person taking months to breed (or any person) the perfect pair of dragons, and the second person buying a lot of gems and simply taking two 'rejects' who are only rejects because they are the same sex and making it so they can be bred together.

There is another option that has been suggested: a pose change scroll. It would simply change which image shows for the dragon in question. For instance a male guardian would use the female guardian's image, but it would still be a male guardian according to the site: it would only breed with females
Sorry, even with the restrictions this would be too problematic:

1. It would potentially have to recode the way breeding works. As it stands, you cannot have same sex breeding because of the way the site is coded. This would either not be able to be used on dragons with hatchlings, or the way breeding works (and is displayed) would need to be recoded.

2. Sex change != Gene/Breed change. For genes and breeds ,the only way to get new ones into the system are to have scrolls that you can apply to existing dragons. Nocturnes are the only 'new' breed that can be obtained by hatching a special egg, but all others you require a scroll to introduce them. You don't need a scroll to introduce new sexes to the game.

3. There already is an dragon abundance on site. Very few dragons are not completely replaceable in terms of color/breed/genes. About the only dragons this would be useful for are gen1s which come from unhatched eggs that can be found around the site.

4. This is a breeding game where the idea is to breed for your perfect dragon, not just find one of the right colors and change everything else on it.

5. Since this is also a multiplayer game, what one person does, can affect other people, in terms of one person taking months to breed (or any person) the perfect pair of dragons, and the second person buying a lot of gems and simply taking two 'rejects' who are only rejects because they are the same sex and making it so they can be bred together.

There is another option that has been suggested: a pose change scroll. It would simply change which image shows for the dragon in question. For instance a male guardian would use the female guardian's image, but it would still be a male guardian according to the site: it would only breed with females

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
no no no

no just no

This has been suggest so many times i've actually lost count. It's to the point people actually have their reasonings saved on an external document so they can just copy and paste their response. Jemadar sums up the feelings perfectly.

However, an alternative - an item to slightly increase the desire for the offspring to have a certain sex instead of 50/50 it can be swayed 60/40 for male or female - this should be a gem item. It kind of happens in nature already with some reptile species (i read it somewhere) where the warmer or cooler a place is has an effect on the sex of the offspring.

But nothing to change the adults, no support.

no no no

no just no

This has been suggest so many times i've actually lost count. It's to the point people actually have their reasonings saved on an external document so they can just copy and paste their response. Jemadar sums up the feelings perfectly.

However, an alternative - an item to slightly increase the desire for the offspring to have a certain sex instead of 50/50 it can be swayed 60/40 for male or female - this should be a gem item. It kind of happens in nature already with some reptile species (i read it somewhere) where the warmer or cooler a place is has an effect on the sex of the offspring.

This routinely gets suggested and while it has a fair amount of supporters it also has its fair share of no support.

I'm afraid I am part of the no support.

While I'm sure the others have covered the basis of why people generally don't support it I'll put emphasis on the biggest one for me.

No matter how you restrict it it still opens up yet another facet of breeding which will help contribute to the overbearing amount of surplus dragons we have in the system and would likely have a negative effect on the dragon sales portion of FRs economy. We already regularly see hatchlings drop to 3k and lower because there's too many of them being bred into the system and not enough ways to take them out of it being utilized on a constant basis to make up for it. Even as an exalter myself I can assure you no amount I do in a day alone makes even a smidgen of a dent into the amount of dragons undoubtedly being born on a daily basis.

Even if this came with restrictions and a high price tag it wouldn't change the fact that pairing that were previously not breeding and producing dragon now would be, and would simply end up saturating the dragon market further than it already has been.
This routinely gets suggested and while it has a fair amount of supporters it also has its fair share of no support.

I'm afraid I am part of the no support.

While I'm sure the others have covered the basis of why people generally don't support it I'll put emphasis on the biggest one for me.

No matter how you restrict it it still opens up yet another facet of breeding which will help contribute to the overbearing amount of surplus dragons we have in the system and would likely have a negative effect on the dragon sales portion of FRs economy. We already regularly see hatchlings drop to 3k and lower because there's too many of them being bred into the system and not enough ways to take them out of it being utilized on a constant basis to make up for it. Even as an exalter myself I can assure you no amount I do in a day alone makes even a smidgen of a dent into the amount of dragons undoubtedly being born on a daily basis.

Even if this came with restrictions and a high price tag it wouldn't change the fact that pairing that were previously not breeding and producing dragon now would be, and would simply end up saturating the dragon market further than it already has been.
Seeking:
Shadow/Heather/Wisteria
Bonus if already an Aberration
PM if interested in selling
[color=#585c4f] You can change a dragon's gender by stating what gender the dragon is in its bio. If you meant change its sex, consider looking on the auction house for the dragon you need. If you want help finding a replacement dragon of the correct sex, I would be glad to try and help find you one [quote name="IvoryFrost" date=2016-05-08 17:55:49] However, an alternative - an item to slightly increase the desire for the offspring to have a certain sex instead of 50/50 it can be swayed 60/40 for male or female - this should be a gem item. It kind of happens in nature already with some reptile species (i read it somewhere) where the warmer or cooler a place is has an effect on the sex of the offspring. But nothing to change the adults, no support. [/quote] [color=#585c4f] (edit) The hot/cold reptile thing would be really neat. Before the new colour wheel was announced I theorized this mechanic coming into play to introduce new colours. A cold nest for a new set of cold colours and vice versa... not quite related to the original suggestion sorry, but I am neutral leaning towards support for an item that slightly skews the odds that a dragon will be born of the chosen sex. The problem is if the percentage is not high enough, people will complain they wasted money because they did not get the desired outcome- however if the percentage is high enough where they have a good chance of getting their desired outcome, then I'd believe the percentage was too high altogether. I can't particularly think of any items that would be as much of a gamble as this- scatter scrolls are completely random, so I can't compare them to them. People get upset when they hatch an entire nest of a certain sex, imagine how upset they'd be if they paid a sum of money to avoid doing so. Of course though this function is staple in so many games and it would of course be the player's responsibility to understand the risks, but I worry about the negative backlash regardless. And introducing such an item could potentially skew the overall sex ratio of dragons over time drastically depending on what exactly they were being used for. It's not likely, but like anything, it could happen by chance and it could have outcomes that would be detrimental to the economy or breeding mechanics in one way or another. Again, not likely, but the possibility is something to take in to consideration. Still not completely against it but I think it could have some problems
You can change a dragon's gender by stating what gender the dragon is in its bio. If you meant change its sex, consider looking on the auction house for the dragon you need. If you want help finding a replacement dragon of the correct sex, I would be glad to try and help find you one

IvoryFrost wrote on 2016-05-08:

(edit) The hot/cold reptile thing would be really neat. Before the new colour wheel was announced I theorized this mechanic coming into play to introduce new colours. A cold nest for a new set of cold colours and vice versa... not quite related to the original suggestion sorry, but I am neutral leaning towards support for an item that slightly skews the odds that a dragon will be born of the chosen sex. The problem is if the percentage is not high enough, people will complain they wasted money because they did not get the desired outcome- however if the percentage is high enough where they have a good chance of getting their desired outcome, then I'd believe the percentage was too high altogether.

I can't particularly think of any items that would be as much of a gamble as this- scatter scrolls are completely random, so I can't compare them to them. People get upset when they hatch an entire nest of a certain sex, imagine how upset they'd be if they paid a sum of money to avoid doing so. Of course though this function is staple in so many games and it would of course be the player's responsibility to understand the risks, but I worry about the negative backlash regardless.

And introducing such an item could potentially skew the overall sex ratio of dragons over time drastically depending on what exactly they were being used for. It's not likely, but like anything, it could happen by chance and it could have outcomes that would be detrimental to the economy or breeding mechanics in one way or another. Again, not likely, but the possibility is something to take in to consideration.

Still not completely against it but I think it could have some problems
I am partial to the nest ratio alteration item Ivory mentioned. It'd be one-time use on a single nest. Want to alter the ratio again? Need another copy of the item.
I am partial to the nest ratio alteration item Ivory mentioned. It'd be one-time use on a single nest. Want to alter the ratio again? Need another copy of the item.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
No support, they've said this isn't going to happen.

That would make things too easy for example, since sex is the only thing you have no control over (even with eye colour, you can rent nests). Also how would it work with lineages? It would definitely not work for a dragon that has been bred, since there is the coding putting the male and female names in order on the parents list.
No support, they've said this isn't going to happen.

That would make things too easy for example, since sex is the only thing you have no control over (even with eye colour, you can rent nests). Also how would it work with lineages? It would definitely not work for a dragon that has been bred, since there is the coding putting the male and female names in order on the parents list.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
No support, especially with some of the restrictions you suggested.

Fisrt of all, this would take a large chunk of coding from what I've heard.

Secondly, this would take challenge out of the game. Gender is one of the few statistics you cannot change, and I would like it to remain that way This game is suppose to be a breeding game. It does not make sense for a breeding game to have almost nothing you can change.

If it where to be implemented, it would have to be so that you couldn't use it on bred dragons, which would make people complain that they couldn't use it on the dragons that they bred but want to be a different gender, or even bred by mistake.

Also, why would you only be able to buy 1-2 each month? That would keep it from breaking the game, but it doesn't make much sense to me. And, if it cost too many gems, it would be useless because it would be cheaper and easier just to replace the dragon.

If it cost millions of treasure on one day, it would A) Set an official gem to treasure ratio, which many people would not want and B) Cause people to complain that they weren't able to get on said day after they save up enough treasure for it.

It also doesn't make sense that you could only have 1 in your hoard at any given time to me.

No support, especially with some of the restrictions you suggested.

Fisrt of all, this would take a large chunk of coding from what I've heard.

Secondly, this would take challenge out of the game. Gender is one of the few statistics you cannot change, and I would like it to remain that way This game is suppose to be a breeding game. It does not make sense for a breeding game to have almost nothing you can change.

If it where to be implemented, it would have to be so that you couldn't use it on bred dragons, which would make people complain that they couldn't use it on the dragons that they bred but want to be a different gender, or even bred by mistake.

Also, why would you only be able to buy 1-2 each month? That would keep it from breaking the game, but it doesn't make much sense to me. And, if it cost too many gems, it would be useless because it would be cheaper and easier just to replace the dragon.

If it cost millions of treasure on one day, it would A) Set an official gem to treasure ratio, which many people would not want and B) Cause people to complain that they weren't able to get on said day after they save up enough treasure for it.

It also doesn't make sense that you could only have 1 in your hoard at any given time to me.