Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Personal] Actually writing lore
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
As far as actually writing lore goes, I pretty much just think up big vague ideas or events and jot them down somewhere. Eventually I rewrite everything in a bulleted list and leave it to sit for a while, because motivation is hard and energy is fleeting, and also it gives my brain time to work through all the ideas.

Once I have some stuff I like I set it all up like a timeline or sort it out by character. Keeps it from getting overwhelming, and then you have a reference for when you stop procrastinating and weave it all together later. (can you tell I'm still stuck on this part?)

And hey I find journals really hard to keep up with, so I'd say that it seems like you're on the right track!

Also! What if that difficult tert thing was a curse? Someone cursed your clan or it's territory, and now all the dragons born within it have awful tertiary colors. You can explain the ones that you bought by saying the curse actually draws in ugly terts- that those dragons are more likely to live there.
As far as actually writing lore goes, I pretty much just think up big vague ideas or events and jot them down somewhere. Eventually I rewrite everything in a bulleted list and leave it to sit for a while, because motivation is hard and energy is fleeting, and also it gives my brain time to work through all the ideas.

Once I have some stuff I like I set it all up like a timeline or sort it out by character. Keeps it from getting overwhelming, and then you have a reference for when you stop procrastinating and weave it all together later. (can you tell I'm still stuck on this part?)

And hey I find journals really hard to keep up with, so I'd say that it seems like you're on the right track!

Also! What if that difficult tert thing was a curse? Someone cursed your clan or it's territory, and now all the dragons born within it have awful tertiary colors. You can explain the ones that you bought by saying the curse actually draws in ugly terts- that those dragons are more likely to live there.
HzGpUHb.png
Well, this is my spot to jot things down. I don't really have anywhere else convenient.

procrastination is the best part! Heh, this journal should hopefully keep it from feeling overwhelming.

Hmm, i don't know about it being a curse. Perhaps a misfire of a magical experiment if anything. I'm not really keen on the idea of it being a curse. Thanks for the support either way though.

My terts are more hard to work with than terrible. Unless i feel like gene-ing every derg in spines or another gene that more or less fails to stand out, i've got tough work ahead.

I could also not gene my tert. but where's the fun in that?

I think that's all the ideas i had for 'why this spot'. Between the two, i like the mage idea better. Especially since by default they are Dragon mages. so cool!

Have they been loyal to other Flights before this? Or will they never move?

No. It's very likely my dergs will never move. I can't say for 100% certain, but it's not in my {and by extension their} plans.

{end journal for this day}
Well, this is my spot to jot things down. I don't really have anywhere else convenient.

procrastination is the best part! Heh, this journal should hopefully keep it from feeling overwhelming.

Hmm, i don't know about it being a curse. Perhaps a misfire of a magical experiment if anything. I'm not really keen on the idea of it being a curse. Thanks for the support either way though.

My terts are more hard to work with than terrible. Unless i feel like gene-ing every derg in spines or another gene that more or less fails to stand out, i've got tough work ahead.

I could also not gene my tert. but where's the fun in that?

I think that's all the ideas i had for 'why this spot'. Between the two, i like the mage idea better. Especially since by default they are Dragon mages. so cool!

Have they been loyal to other Flights before this? Or will they never move?

No. It's very likely my dergs will never move. I can't say for 100% certain, but it's not in my {and by extension their} plans.

hTjYFxw.png
What would be the deciding factor in a move, if the clan had to?

you can't make me This is a hypothetical more than anything. If i were to run with my mage-ish idea the deciding factor would probably be something related to 'a place that still lets you experiment with spells'. Which i think would rule out flame territory, as they forge things? I haven't examined every flight and what it's lore would mean for my dergs and their possible tendencies/behaviors. Realistically, i'm the only one that can hit the change flight button, so this hypothetical seems silly to spend a bunch of time figuring out.

Regardless, acceptance would play a part. I'm sure that lore wise, some flights technically would frown upon shooting off fireworks on a constant basis. Especially if those fireworks were spells that caused unintended consequences.

What would be the deciding factor in a move, if the clan had to?

you can't make me This is a hypothetical more than anything. If i were to run with my mage-ish idea the deciding factor would probably be something related to 'a place that still lets you experiment with spells'. Which i think would rule out flame territory, as they forge things? I haven't examined every flight and what it's lore would mean for my dergs and their possible tendencies/behaviors. Realistically, i'm the only one that can hit the change flight button, so this hypothetical seems silly to spend a bunch of time figuring out.

Regardless, acceptance would play a part. I'm sure that lore wise, some flights technically would frown upon shooting off fireworks on a constant basis. Especially if those fireworks were spells that caused unintended consequences.

hTjYFxw.png
Is the clan spiritual and highly loyal to their deity?

What do you mean by 'spiritual'? hah. I'm not sure how to go about this question here. I can nitpick to no end when i feel like it. Pointing out how the definition of 'spiritual' means different things to different people. Or i could also nitpick loyalty. Is 'loyalty' being in the territory? Is 'loyalty' sending dergs to the observatory? Who decides what constitutes minimal loyalty vs. highly loyal?

Off hand, i'd say they are somewhere in the middle. I suppose that might be because my account is not even a year old yet. Even arbitrarily choosing the mid ground might be a bit much for a 3 month old account.

Again, i bring up my magic example. Far as i know, Arcanist looks at the stars a bunch. I'm not sure how much time he devotes to finding a spell that can, oh, teleport a derg to anywhere they have flown before for example. Is messing with magic considered 'spiritual'? What about cataloging stars?

I'm not gonna get anywhere with this question am i?

go me!

Is the clan spiritual and highly loyal to their deity?

What do you mean by 'spiritual'? hah. I'm not sure how to go about this question here. I can nitpick to no end when i feel like it. Pointing out how the definition of 'spiritual' means different things to different people. Or i could also nitpick loyalty. Is 'loyalty' being in the territory? Is 'loyalty' sending dergs to the observatory? Who decides what constitutes minimal loyalty vs. highly loyal?

Off hand, i'd say they are somewhere in the middle. I suppose that might be because my account is not even a year old yet. Even arbitrarily choosing the mid ground might be a bit much for a 3 month old account.

Again, i bring up my magic example. Far as i know, Arcanist looks at the stars a bunch. I'm not sure how much time he devotes to finding a spell that can, oh, teleport a derg to anywhere they have flown before for example. Is messing with magic considered 'spiritual'? What about cataloging stars?

I'm not gonna get anywhere with this question am i?

go me!

hTjYFxw.png
I had some inkling of an idea yesterday. Now after a long work day it's gone.

Should have typed it while i had the chance.

Here is an interesting question, does the Arcanist himself show up to all new accounts that choose his territory?

Could it be considered that a derg could just set up there and the Arcanist not really know about it directly since he is {supposedly} very busy with his observatory work? Through what process do dergs know or learn about the elemental flight leaders anyway, lore wise?

I'm starting to forget what i've read in the encyclopedia aren't i?

Let's see here... 11 leaders... create children.

Oh. So the arcanist created {presumably} the first Arcanite dragons. Then it was simply just generations of breeding. Though it isn't very specific detail wise.

For example. How many dergs in his image did Arcanist create? How long has it been since he created them? How many generations have been sired by the first ones created? Did he create any dergs after the first, or was it a one time event?

I should probably stop de-railing myself here.
somewhere in the distance, a train crashes into the ground, thoroughly de-railed

At the moment, i'd say i can't answer the 'spiritual' part of the question as i can't be certain what that means. I do however feel as though my dergs would be at least somewhat loyal. They are pursuing knowledge of the unknown.

Best to leave it at that i think.

I had some inkling of an idea yesterday. Now after a long work day it's gone.

Should have typed it while i had the chance.

Here is an interesting question, does the Arcanist himself show up to all new accounts that choose his territory?

Could it be considered that a derg could just set up there and the Arcanist not really know about it directly since he is {supposedly} very busy with his observatory work? Through what process do dergs know or learn about the elemental flight leaders anyway, lore wise?

I'm starting to forget what i've read in the encyclopedia aren't i?

Let's see here... 11 leaders... create children.

Oh. So the arcanist created {presumably} the first Arcanite dragons. Then it was simply just generations of breeding. Though it isn't very specific detail wise.

For example. How many dergs in his image did Arcanist create? How long has it been since he created them? How many generations have been sired by the first ones created? Did he create any dergs after the first, or was it a one time event?

I should probably stop de-railing myself here.
somewhere in the distance, a train crashes into the ground, thoroughly de-railed

At the moment, i'd say i can't answer the 'spiritual' part of the question as i can't be certain what that means. I do however feel as though my dergs would be at least somewhat loyal. They are pursuing knowledge of the unknown.

Best to leave it at that i think.

hTjYFxw.png
How does the clan view those from different Flights? Are they welcoming to all dragons, or suspicious of newcomers?

A most excellent question, considering i have thought nothing of this subject. Which comes with it's own questions from me. How easy is it to tell a derg is from another flight? {consider that eye color doesn't mean it's 100%, as people change flights and only the children get the new eye color}

How often does the arcane territory get visitors? {theoretically, you could say no one visits your location specifically, or just your friends visit}

Regardless, i imagine visitors are queried {e.g. why are you here} and anything important {such as what is in the hoard} is not just shown off easily. I guess that means dergs are regarded with suspicion until my dergs get a handle on the other dergs temperament/plans/personality. This is likely true regardless of flight loyalties. [unless for some reason a derg comes around yelling "i'm plague and i'm gonna rot everything i see"]

How does the clan view those from different Flights? Are they welcoming to all dragons, or suspicious of newcomers?

A most excellent question, considering i have thought nothing of this subject. Which comes with it's own questions from me. How easy is it to tell a derg is from another flight? {consider that eye color doesn't mean it's 100%, as people change flights and only the children get the new eye color}

How often does the arcane territory get visitors? {theoretically, you could say no one visits your location specifically, or just your friends visit}

Regardless, i imagine visitors are queried {e.g. why are you here} and anything important {such as what is in the hoard} is not just shown off easily. I guess that means dergs are regarded with suspicion until my dergs get a handle on the other dergs temperament/plans/personality. This is likely true regardless of flight loyalties. [unless for some reason a derg comes around yelling "i'm plague and i'm gonna rot everything i see"]

hTjYFxw.png
What does your lair look like? Go into detail.

Oh no. No. insert darth vader meme here Noooooooo~

It looks like a lair.

There, done, finished. Right?

No?

I didn't think so either. It's 11:00 pm my time though. I'm gonna have to come back to this one.

What does your lair look like? Go into detail.

Oh no. No. insert darth vader meme here Noooooooo~

It looks like a lair.

There, done, finished. Right?

No?

I didn't think so either. It's 11:00 pm my time though. I'm gonna have to come back to this one.

hTjYFxw.png
Unfortunately, to describe my lair, i have to have a theme idea.

At the moment my two theme ideas seem to be crystals or 'experiment with magic'.

The lair description would change depending on which one i pick. That is of course presuming i don't get any other ideas to add to the list.

At any rate, i've been very successful at distracting myself. I guess i could make two descriptions....

but not tonight. zzzzz

Unfortunately, to describe my lair, i have to have a theme idea.

At the moment my two theme ideas seem to be crystals or 'experiment with magic'.

The lair description would change depending on which one i pick. That is of course presuming i don't get any other ideas to add to the list.

At any rate, i've been very successful at distracting myself. I guess i could make two descriptions....

but not tonight. zzzzz

hTjYFxw.png
lair of crystal

First off, the crystal theme lair. There would be a bunch of caves involved. You know, ones in the ground or maybe in the floating spires. Or maybe some in mountain ranges. I hardly paid attention to the geography of flight rising. Regardless the caves would have to be large, enough to accommodate imperials and guardians. The outside would likely be plain-ish, my dergs are not interested in attracting unrequired attention to their lair. Maybe there would be spires or 'launch pads' for the dergs on watch/guard duty.

The inside would be a vast network of tunnels, different colored crystals would line the walls and floor, reflecting the light from the outside to the deepest depths within. Perhaps some fake walls here and there to seclude the more private quarters, where breeding may take place, or even hide the vault or collections of trinkets my dergs happen to have. Hidden recesses around corners so that in case of an attack, an invading derg would round a corner only to get pounced on from a blind spot. Maybe a few dead ends where some crystal sculptures my dergs made would be kept.

I think that about covers it. Maybe some decor in the way of trinkets here and there, probably most of the decor would be in a dergs 'room', with only the spare {i have 80x other copies this item}, not so valuable stuff on display for visitors.

lair of crystal

First off, the crystal theme lair. There would be a bunch of caves involved. You know, ones in the ground or maybe in the floating spires. Or maybe some in mountain ranges. I hardly paid attention to the geography of flight rising. Regardless the caves would have to be large, enough to accommodate imperials and guardians. The outside would likely be plain-ish, my dergs are not interested in attracting unrequired attention to their lair. Maybe there would be spires or 'launch pads' for the dergs on watch/guard duty.

The inside would be a vast network of tunnels, different colored crystals would line the walls and floor, reflecting the light from the outside to the deepest depths within. Perhaps some fake walls here and there to seclude the more private quarters, where breeding may take place, or even hide the vault or collections of trinkets my dergs happen to have. Hidden recesses around corners so that in case of an attack, an invading derg would round a corner only to get pounced on from a blind spot. Maybe a few dead ends where some crystal sculptures my dergs made would be kept.

I think that about covers it. Maybe some decor in the way of trinkets here and there, probably most of the decor would be in a dergs 'room', with only the spare {i have 80x other copies this item}, not so valuable stuff on display for visitors.

hTjYFxw.png
lair of magic

I think this lair would be a bit more out in the open. There would still be a need for secluded areas but maybe those would be a mix of arcane forests and caves. The caves wouldn't be crystal, they would be plain except for the decor the derg chose to hang up in there. There would probably be runes on the ground and magic symbols, some of them would be obvious, others would be blended into the surroundings {e.g. a gnarled tree that looks like other trees, but has been infused with magic}. Illusions and magical defenses would assist the clan in any efforts to defend their home. Likely there would be a library of sorts somewhere, to contain notes and magic items. There would likely be other storage buildings for materials and anything found to be useful.

I think that covers it.

lair of magic

I think this lair would be a bit more out in the open. There would still be a need for secluded areas but maybe those would be a mix of arcane forests and caves. The caves wouldn't be crystal, they would be plain except for the decor the derg chose to hang up in there. There would probably be runes on the ground and magic symbols, some of them would be obvious, others would be blended into the surroundings {e.g. a gnarled tree that looks like other trees, but has been infused with magic}. Illusions and magical defenses would assist the clan in any efforts to defend their home. Likely there would be a library of sorts somewhere, to contain notes and magic items. There would likely be other storage buildings for materials and anything found to be useful.

I think that covers it.

hTjYFxw.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11