Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Zine making and maybe selling
I'm making a zine with some of my friends over at the creative corner (link to post on my sig) and I was wondering if it went against FR rules to sell the booklets at production price+shipping? It's not like we're profiting off it, and if it DOES go against FR rules, we're willing to make it free for viewing. But I also thought it would be neat to send out physical copies to people who are willing to pay for the price of printing the booklet +shipping to their country.

Thoughts?
I'm making a zine with some of my friends over at the creative corner (link to post on my sig) and I was wondering if it went against FR rules to sell the booklets at production price+shipping? It's not like we're profiting off it, and if it DOES go against FR rules, we're willing to make it free for viewing. But I also thought it would be neat to send out physical copies to people who are willing to pay for the price of printing the booklet +shipping to their country.

Thoughts?
Ar3AeBGm.png
@Suseonhwa That might be something you'd want to ask through contact us for a definite answer. We'd lean towards it not being allowed.
It would also depend on how you plan to print them.
These are the rules on selling FR IP for real world currency:
Quote:
No more than 5 units be sold of tangible merchandise utilizing the Company’s intellectual property (IP) be sold for "real world" currency. Making a piece of fan art or a craft project is fine, but making a business out of Company or Services merchandise is not.

1. Tangible merchandise utilizing Company or Services IP may be gifted, traded, purchased with Virtual Currency, or raffled (provided the raffle does not utilize "real world" currency) beyond this 5 unit limit, but may not be sold for "real world" currency once the 5 unit limit is exceeded.

4. Artwork utilizing the Company or Services IP may not be added to third party, print-service stores. Example: shapeways, deviantart prints, redbubble, cafepress, zazzle, and similar entities.
http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=81
@Suseonhwa That might be something you'd want to ask through contact us for a definite answer. We'd lean towards it not being allowed.
It would also depend on how you plan to print them.
These are the rules on selling FR IP for real world currency:
Quote:
No more than 5 units be sold of tangible merchandise utilizing the Company’s intellectual property (IP) be sold for "real world" currency. Making a piece of fan art or a craft project is fine, but making a business out of Company or Services merchandise is not.

1. Tangible merchandise utilizing Company or Services IP may be gifted, traded, purchased with Virtual Currency, or raffled (provided the raffle does not utilize "real world" currency) beyond this 5 unit limit, but may not be sold for "real world" currency once the 5 unit limit is exceeded.

4. Artwork utilizing the Company or Services IP may not be added to third party, print-service stores. Example: shapeways, deviantart prints, redbubble, cafepress, zazzle, and similar entities.
http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=81
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
@Lonin thanks for the info! I'm still wondering whether selling the zine at printing/shipping price would count as a business (since we're not actually profiting from it-though if the printshop is profiting from it...well that *would* count as "a business"..wouldn't it?). Bah this is confusing XD

I'll be sure to contact them through the encyclopedia's links too. Someone has also informed me that digital merchandise can be sold for irl currency? (please correct me if I'm wrong) :)
@Lonin thanks for the info! I'm still wondering whether selling the zine at printing/shipping price would count as a business (since we're not actually profiting from it-though if the printshop is profiting from it...well that *would* count as "a business"..wouldn't it?). Bah this is confusing XD

I'll be sure to contact them through the encyclopedia's links too. Someone has also informed me that digital merchandise can be sold for irl currency? (please correct me if I'm wrong) :)
Ar3AeBGm.png
@Suseonhwa If you're planning to print it through a third-party service that wouldn't be allowed. You can't submit things containing FR's intellectual property to third-party stores like that. Even if you're drawing all the art it's still based on FR property.

But yes, you're allowed to sell an unlimited amount of digital art/writing for real money.
@Suseonhwa If you're planning to print it through a third-party service that wouldn't be allowed. You can't submit things containing FR's intellectual property to third-party stores like that. Even if you're drawing all the art it's still based on FR property.

But yes, you're allowed to sell an unlimited amount of digital art/writing for real money.
cg2G1xD.gif
@Lonin okay! I see, thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to modify the project accordingly :D

Just so we're clear I'm thinking instead of a non profit physical zine (since that would require printing at a third party) the following:

let me know if any of it goes against the rules?

A. printing at home, a simple booklet (so it doesn't go through a third party) and asking people to pay for shipping (doubt this one will still be allowed but I would like clarification in case I'm wrong and it is?)

B. a digital only zine with digital only merchandise for profit for the creators (allowable by FR rules)

C. a digital only zine with digital only merchandise not for profit. (allowable by FR rules)

just so I'm sure I'm not crossing any of FR's rules! (again, really appreciate the help)
@Lonin okay! I see, thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to modify the project accordingly :D

Just so we're clear I'm thinking instead of a non profit physical zine (since that would require printing at a third party) the following:

let me know if any of it goes against the rules?

A. printing at home, a simple booklet (so it doesn't go through a third party) and asking people to pay for shipping (doubt this one will still be allowed but I would like clarification in case I'm wrong and it is?)

B. a digital only zine with digital only merchandise for profit for the creators (allowable by FR rules)

C. a digital only zine with digital only merchandise not for profit. (allowable by FR rules)

just so I'm sure I'm not crossing any of FR's rules! (again, really appreciate the help)
Ar3AeBGm.png
@Suseonhwa
The first one you'd probably want to check with staff just in case but the other two should be fine depending on what the digital merchandise is c: If you're thinking bonus art and stuff that would be fine. Giving away FR items etc wouldn't be allowed.
@Suseonhwa
The first one you'd probably want to check with staff just in case but the other two should be fine depending on what the digital merchandise is c: If you're thinking bonus art and stuff that would be fine. Giving away FR items etc wouldn't be allowed.
cg2G1xD.gif
@Lonin gotcha. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for all the help! :D
@Lonin gotcha. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for all the help! :D
Ar3AeBGm.png