Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Small pet suggestions?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@singularuniverse
I apologize for getting off topic, I normally hold back so I don't know why I started to go off. I had no intentions of carrying on long arguments, though.

I'll stop posting on your thread now.

Good luck on your search! I hope you find the perfect pet. :)
@singularuniverse
I apologize for getting off topic, I normally hold back so I don't know why I started to go off. I had no intentions of carrying on long arguments, though.

I'll stop posting on your thread now.

Good luck on your search! I hope you find the perfect pet. :)
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
@MorningSkye

No worries, you've brought up plenty of things I didn't know or hadn't thought about so it's been worthwhile contributions the whole way through. Thank you, and I hope I find one too :D
@MorningSkye

No worries, you've brought up plenty of things I didn't know or hadn't thought about so it's been worthwhile contributions the whole way through. Thank you, and I hope I find one too :D
click my babies
3eXZj.gif
BIRDS!!!! im very partial to budgies, cockatiels, and conures but all birds are very lovely as someone stated earlier, birds can be very high maintenance so be sure you have plenty of time and patience to dedicate to a little feathered friend here are my babies [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/292801046949003267/546495169814462476/20190216_195625.jpg[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/292801046949003267/541076642798501918/20190131_193540.jpg[/img]
BIRDS!!!!

im very partial to budgies, cockatiels, and conures but all birds are very lovely
as someone stated earlier, birds can be very high maintenance so be sure you have plenty of time and patience to dedicate to a little feathered friend

here are my babies
20190216_195625.jpg20190131_193540.jpg
yeahbuddy.png
Boo
he/him
um,, hi lol
smol.png
chrysocolla.gif
@Lepidolite

I LOVE THEM!! I've gotten heaps of suggestions for birds (particularly conures actually), so I'm definitely going to look into that. Also your babs are so cute :D
@Lepidolite

I LOVE THEM!! I've gotten heaps of suggestions for birds (particularly conures actually), so I'm definitely going to look into that. Also your babs are so cute :D
click my babies
3eXZj.gif
I suggest fish. I know, weird choice, but hear me out. Fish are easy to take care of. Some can live as long as dogs or cats if you give them what they need. I would suggest a betta fish as I have the most experience. I have had about seven fish and they were the best pets I could ever have. You can actually train them, as I got one from a Chick-fil-A (funny story, actually) and he would follow my finger EVERYWHERE. I was really sad when he died. I really love fish for some reason but right now I have a dog who is a pain in the butt. She is very lovely but very energetic. I love fish.
I suggest fish. I know, weird choice, but hear me out. Fish are easy to take care of. Some can live as long as dogs or cats if you give them what they need. I would suggest a betta fish as I have the most experience. I have had about seven fish and they were the best pets I could ever have. You can actually train them, as I got one from a Chick-fil-A (funny story, actually) and he would follow my finger EVERYWHERE. I was really sad when he died. I really love fish for some reason but right now I have a dog who is a pain in the butt. She is very lovely but very energetic. I love fish.
v2PJF9u.png 6kR982D.pngWn6vGC1.png
@singularuniverse

You didn't list what type of pet or personality that you're interested in which I think is important in owning any animal.

If you prefer low maintenance I suggest getting like you mentioned a fish or reptile. Certain lizards can come on command and are just a joy to own! Also some fish can learn their masters face and learn their name. ^-^

If you prefer something with spunk and are up to the task then I highly suggest getting a rat! Buy from a local pet only breeder so you know exactly what you're buying! Rats are such amazing animals and you can train them like a cat or dog! If you get a rat though make sure it's female!! Males stink and that could annoy the people you live with!

Respect comes first before owning any animal. :)
@singularuniverse

You didn't list what type of pet or personality that you're interested in which I think is important in owning any animal.

If you prefer low maintenance I suggest getting like you mentioned a fish or reptile. Certain lizards can come on command and are just a joy to own! Also some fish can learn their masters face and learn their name. ^-^

If you prefer something with spunk and are up to the task then I highly suggest getting a rat! Buy from a local pet only breeder so you know exactly what you're buying! Rats are such amazing animals and you can train them like a cat or dog! If you get a rat though make sure it's female!! Males stink and that could annoy the people you live with!

Respect comes first before owning any animal. :)
I have two ratties to keep me company (as I live alone in an apartment with not enough light for plants). Definitely they're not the most cleanly pets to have as they kick up bedding and poop onto the floor but once a week cage cleaning and vacuuming keeps the gross factor down.
Personally, I lean towards furry animals to have and hold because I prefer the texture to scales and feathers (no offense to my lizard but...it's like holding a cold omelette wrapped in sandpaper). Birds are so sensitive to their environments and their chirping is nice but sometimes it can get a little irritating. At least in my experience, some people really like the frequent cheeps n such.
Overall, it really depends on what you want from a pet. If you want something cool to look at fish, tarantulas, and reptiles are all very beautiful creatures. If you're more into touchy-feely pets maybe look more into rodents and/or birds.
I have two ratties to keep me company (as I live alone in an apartment with not enough light for plants). Definitely they're not the most cleanly pets to have as they kick up bedding and poop onto the floor but once a week cage cleaning and vacuuming keeps the gross factor down.
Personally, I lean towards furry animals to have and hold because I prefer the texture to scales and feathers (no offense to my lizard but...it's like holding a cold omelette wrapped in sandpaper). Birds are so sensitive to their environments and their chirping is nice but sometimes it can get a little irritating. At least in my experience, some people really like the frequent cheeps n such.
Overall, it really depends on what you want from a pet. If you want something cool to look at fish, tarantulas, and reptiles are all very beautiful creatures. If you're more into touchy-feely pets maybe look more into rodents and/or birds.
wMXAg3w.png
[quote name="Riverflight" date="2019-04-14 01:24:10" ] I definitely recommend birds. I got a conure back in October and it’s just been the most rewarding experience in my life to take care of him. Birds are intelligent, entertaining, and they truly bond with their owners. Just remember that some birds are very high-maintenance and you should always heavily research whatever type of bird you’re thinking of getting! Some birds can be extremely loud and destructive and require a lot of attention, while others are much easier to care for but much different in personality. You’ll need to do a lot of research to decide what type of bird you’ll want, because each species is very different and suits different lifestyles. And a pic of my son: [img]https://imgur.com/sDdV4It.png[/img] [/quote] I spy another green cheek owner @riverflight [emoji=special eyes][emoji=special eyes] Anyway I recommend birds! They're basically dogs with wings. I specifically recommend Green Cheeked Conures. They're not horribly loud and they're pretty easy to take care of besides them basically being big babies. They're very messy, and can be very picky eaters. They're very social and love spending time with humans and they always want to be where you are, so you need to make sure you or somebody else is around to spend time with them. They are very entertaining though! Our little guy loves to roll on his back and stick his little feet up in the air. He's very cute. Here's a picture of him: [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eexcsRdA9c8/XKbN0eYALhI/AAAAAAAALvY/TXVcz6qyt-sXxoyUlx3YDTe7mEPAVNkgQCK8BGAs/s0/2019-04-04.png[/img]
Riverflight wrote on 2019-04-14 01:24:10:
I definitely recommend birds. I got a conure back in October and it’s just been the most rewarding experience in my life to take care of him. Birds are intelligent, entertaining, and they truly bond with their owners.

Just remember that some birds are very high-maintenance and you should always heavily research whatever type of bird you’re thinking of getting! Some birds can be extremely loud and destructive and require a lot of attention, while others are much easier to care for but much different in personality. You’ll need to do a lot of research to decide what type of bird you’ll want, because each species is very different and suits different lifestyles.

And a pic of my son:
sDdV4It.png
I spy another green cheek owner @riverflight

Anyway I recommend birds! They're basically dogs with wings. I specifically recommend Green Cheeked Conures. They're not horribly loud and they're pretty easy to take care of besides them basically being big babies. They're very messy, and can be very picky eaters. They're very social and love spending time with humans and they always want to be where you are, so you need to make sure you or somebody else is around to spend time with them. They are very entertaining though! Our little guy loves to roll on his back and stick his little feet up in the air. He's very cute. Here's a picture of him: 2019-04-04.png
fLdYOuE.pngNl7xQPH.png
kCHWEjf.png
QUIpVFE.png
Jd88XNq.png
J7D1quC.png
xYQkuHQ.png
I could dump information for days on small pets and it's all really according to your lifestyle and budget. Since you mentioned a toddler sibling, I would stray away from something that requires more than what your own room (or dedicated room) could provide. This makes guinea pigs, rabbits, and hedgehogs a no-go. A bird is iffy, as unclipped wings mean it could fly away from said tot if need be, but supervision of any small animal is required with a toddler, as small animals are very fragile and a child could severely hurt or kill an animal.

Fish are alright, my family used to raise and breed all sorts of fish, a betta with betta-friendly tankmates would be perfect for a small space. I will say to stray away from goldfish if you are not willing to move on to a big tank. Yes, they will grow out of a small tank and yes they get huge.

Small rodents would be nice. However, family might be a bit "icky" about that idea. I have a personal liking to gerbils and mice, as they can be housed together and because of that they can be comical and interesting to watch.

Reptiles can be small, leopard geckos are easy to care for and so can cornsnakes. But I also don't know how your parents will feel about keeping frozen mice or live insects to feed them with.

And of course, budget is a factor. Certain animals can be quite expensive to setup and upkeep. Reptiles are quite expensive all around. Leopard geckos themselves cost at the very basic in the 30s without food and setup included. I've seen cornsnakes go for about 50 to 100 dollars for the pet alone. Tanks and heatmats are also pricey and unless you farm your own mice or insects that can rack up a bill quickly. Rodents are more expensive upon setup and upkeep isn't too bad on them. They don't need live food all the time and quality pellets can last a while. A fancy mouse can run at 2 to 10 dollars upon purchase generally. Fish depends greatly.

I could dump information for days on small pets and it's all really according to your lifestyle and budget. Since you mentioned a toddler sibling, I would stray away from something that requires more than what your own room (or dedicated room) could provide. This makes guinea pigs, rabbits, and hedgehogs a no-go. A bird is iffy, as unclipped wings mean it could fly away from said tot if need be, but supervision of any small animal is required with a toddler, as small animals are very fragile and a child could severely hurt or kill an animal.

Fish are alright, my family used to raise and breed all sorts of fish, a betta with betta-friendly tankmates would be perfect for a small space. I will say to stray away from goldfish if you are not willing to move on to a big tank. Yes, they will grow out of a small tank and yes they get huge.

Small rodents would be nice. However, family might be a bit "icky" about that idea. I have a personal liking to gerbils and mice, as they can be housed together and because of that they can be comical and interesting to watch.

Reptiles can be small, leopard geckos are easy to care for and so can cornsnakes. But I also don't know how your parents will feel about keeping frozen mice or live insects to feed them with.

And of course, budget is a factor. Certain animals can be quite expensive to setup and upkeep. Reptiles are quite expensive all around. Leopard geckos themselves cost at the very basic in the 30s without food and setup included. I've seen cornsnakes go for about 50 to 100 dollars for the pet alone. Tanks and heatmats are also pricey and unless you farm your own mice or insects that can rack up a bill quickly. Rodents are more expensive upon setup and upkeep isn't too bad on them. They don't need live food all the time and quality pellets can last a while. A fancy mouse can run at 2 to 10 dollars upon purchase generally. Fish depends greatly.

{Puppy} {FR +2} {Goat Lover} {22} {They/Them}
1566865007982.png
I know a couple of people have mentioned about snails, but I definitely second that! It does kind of depend where you live though- here in the UK we can get the awesome giant african kinds but they're illegal in the US and some other places, and there's laws about taking even native species across state lines.

That said, your bog standard common or garden snails make great pets too; super easy to look after and handle (if you don't mind slime), don't smell or make much noise (my GALS occasionally squeak when the pull into their shell fast, and when it's really quiet you can sometimes hear them munching on lettuce) and they're very cute to watch scoot around.
I know a couple of people have mentioned about snails, but I definitely second that! It does kind of depend where you live though- here in the UK we can get the awesome giant african kinds but they're illegal in the US and some other places, and there's laws about taking even native species across state lines.

That said, your bog standard common or garden snails make great pets too; super easy to look after and handle (if you don't mind slime), don't smell or make much noise (my GALS occasionally squeak when the pull into their shell fast, and when it's really quiet you can sometimes hear them munching on lettuce) and they're very cute to watch scoot around.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8